Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
Dan Baron

Default doing something nice

When my wife and I got married, I told her that I wanted to get a Model A. She said Ya Ya Ya sure sure some day. Years would go by, I'd go to shows come back home and ask again about the A. Again sure sure, some day was the response. After about 3 real major arguments about this she realized that this wasn't something that I was ever going to outgrow. realizing that depression was setting in, she says "Just go Get Your Damn Car" So I did. I've never felt better. We often forget how much we put our wives through when we take up a hobby like this. My wife loves me and I wanted to do something nice for her. So after I finished my first Model A I had a plaque made up. If you look at my Avatar you see it reads, "Dedicated To My Wife Michelle For Her Patience, Love and Most of all Her Understanding of the Goals I've set in Life" and in small letters I.W.A.L.Y. So the next time you enter the garage think of her and say thanks for all the time spent away from her. She may even want to go for a drive.

Last edited by Dan Baron; 07-13-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Dan Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
Ron/IA

Default Re: doing something nice

Dan - What a very nice gesture. My wife has allowed me to persue and continue the restoration, maintenance, and tours with the Model A. While she rides with me to local eateries and pubs, she has never accompanied me on a tour. While she knows she is always welcome, she has respectfully declined. Tomorrow she is going to ride with me on our club's day tour. I can't describe my feelings into words, but your gesture has given me the idea that I should honor her for this first tour.

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/

Last edited by Ron/IA; 07-13-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
HoarseWhisperer

Wow. I guess I should consider myself lucky,,,,,, very lucky.

My wife accompanies me on all the tours, Model A vacations, assumes secretary and tour duties with the local chapter, dresses in era fashion, plans dinners around my tinkering in the Garage Mahal and even opens my beer (so I won't break a nail).

She's already received the "Chrome Crank" award from the chapter, but now that you have reminded me, I better do something special for her. Thx!

Now that I found her, I think I'll keep her!
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Dan Baron

As much as my wife loves me, She just doesn't trust the old girl enough. If she does go, she's white knuckled all the way. And Yes I'd say you are very lucky!!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
29ModelA

My wife bought the car, now only if she could buy me the time to restore it and put it together.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
Purdy Swoft

Hoarse whisperer, You are a lucky man. Nice looking model A's too.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
Stan/MO.

I flounder.....but I lobster
Stan/MO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
Bruce

While I didn't have to beg for the Roadster Pickup ... and I got Jan's OK for the Victoria basketcase pretty easily ... and she sort of negotiated the purchase of "Jack's Roadster ... I sure am up against a brick wall when I talk about just one more!!
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
kp

Maybe if I install ac !
kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

maybe if everyone did'nt stare at us on the road.

i can do what i want and buy what i want but cars are not her thing even though they pay the bills, so i guess thats not to bad.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
1931 flamingo

Got mine the end of march, wife not happy, gave her enough money out of windfall that I bought A with to bury me. She still hasn't looked at car, ride out of the question. We each do our own thing,38 years. She and daughter vacationing at a dude ranch in the catskills this week. She's gone = my vacation.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:13 AM   #12
Dan Baron

Anybody else out there share their hobby with there wives? I'd love to have her with me, she'll go, as long as she's driving behing in the morden car. Then I worry if she's having a good time once she's there. At least she's trying to get involved. I guess that's why I love her.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:29 AM   #13
Skeezixx

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite movies "Genevieve." It's must viewing for any antique car enthusiast. Here is the plot synopsis:

Plot Summary for
Genevieve (1953) More at IMDbPro »

It's time for the annual London to Brighton antique car rally, and Alan McKim and Ambrose Claverhouse are not going to let their friendship stop them from trying to humiliate each other. Along the way, some old jealousies are kindled to the point where the two men decide to have a "friendly" wager on who will be the first back to London. Once the competitive juices get all fired up, however, it quickly becomes a nasty, hotly-contested affair. Ambrose's companion must suffer through her "maiden voyage" on the rally, while Mrs. McKim, on the other hand, is a long-time sufferer of her husband's obsession. Written by Albert Jingle

If you have not seen it you must. If you have seen it.......watch it again with your wife.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #14
Ray in La Mesa

I guess I'm lucky, my wife had her Model A before I did! We met in the local club and knew each other for 20 years before we started going together. Our first "date" was to pull the read end in her '31 coupe to fix it! She' got two A's, I have two and the rusty one on the front lawn is "our" yard art.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #15
Model A Man

I was married for 14 years and now divorce for 18 years. My ex hated cars and everytime I went into the garage she would come out and ask how long you going to be. Her Idea of fun was to sit and watch TV. I have dated 2 times in 18 years and I find I am better off loving my cars. I can put them in the garage when I am done, they dont talk back and they don't ask for much. The only way I would date again is if I found a Woman that was into cars and enjoyed the hobby as much as I do.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #16
james hitchcock

I had a 30 coupe when I was around 17. Traded up later for a 28 roadster pick up all stock except it had a pinto engine. After getting the pick up repainted I worried of scratches and didn't let the neighborhood kids jump in like I used to. I got tired of having her set covered and sold her way before I met my wife Tammi and married. Tammi has always known of my love for the Model A and how I missed having one. She knew someday I'd find one. Well 20+ years from my roadster I found Walter a 31 p.u. Walter needs a lot of T.L.C and currently rests in my driveway. Tammi has no problem with me heading out after dinner or spending my Saturday, puttering , scrapping, and sanding. (as long as I do my chores first) I think Tammi see's my vision for Walter and looks forward to the day we can go for our family rides. This time I'm going to let the my kids , grandkids, neighborhood kids, climb in and out and enjoy the heck outa Ol' Walter. Thanks hun, the front seat will be reserved for you on the maiden voyage.
James.

Last edited by james hitchcock; 07-15-2010 at 08:41 PM.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #17
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino

Got my 30 Townsedan (14 years ago) with the support of my wife who never believed I would ever get it road worthy, painted, etc. First time I took her for a ride, it left us strayed and requied a bit of repair. Since then she regularly participates in tours club activities etc. and even encouraged me to buy the tudor and fordor. I purchased the coupe (basket case) and told her it was her car. Got the mechanics done and told her as soon as she got it sanded I would paint it and do the interior. She has gotten as far as picking out colors. It's been 3 years and still needs the sanding - guess I'll do it for her. She still hasn't used the over-and under I got her for Christmas a few years back but lets me "test" it whenever I like. Love that gal.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #18
Dave in Boise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Baron View Post
Anybody else out there share their hobby with there wives? I'd love to have her with me, she'll go, as long as she's driving behing in the morden car. Then I worry if she's having a good time once she's there. At least she's trying to get involved. I guess that's why I love her.
My wife joins in on the hobby, is newletter editor for our club and thoroughly loves the A's we have.. She drives and has completed tours. One evening, before the big Holiday Parade last year, the tudor came down with a leaky headgasket. She dove right in with me removing nuts and levering the head off, cleaning and reinstalling a new headgasket and torqueing the assembly down.
It's great to have a wife or significant other who enjoys the hobby as much as you do

I count myself very lucky.

- Dave
Dave in Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #19
Dan Baron

I've got to say, some of you are very lucky. I'm a little jealous of you guys. I'm sorry for you others out there, who, like myself who love these beautiful automobiles all by ourselves. That's not to say that we love them any less, because at least in my home, I've got the support and love in everything else. I just wanted to let others know that while we love our cars, we should let our wives know that we do appreciate all that they sacrifice for us, while we do.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #20
Freddie (Memphis)

My wife of 36 years has never worked on any of my hot rods...and I wouldn't expect her to, either. She's about as mechanically inclined as a small plastic soap dish. But...with the exception of the Cobra...she'll hop in the Model A and be ready to go anywhere at pretty much a moment's notice. She was a little leary at first, but then I proved to her by straying over 100 miles from home one Saturday to go to an antique car and airplance event that the little car was reasonably reliable. She's ready to go anywhere now...

The Cobra...? Well...not so much. 560 HP, 2400 lbs, open top, no roll up windows, no radio, no AC, too loud, too fast, too much wind...you name it, she don't like it. Me? Hell...everytime I take it out I come home with a big grin on my face and smelling like gasoline, oil, and burnt rubber...what's not to love?

I'm still doin' the rhumba, Baby...I just can't seem to quit. If momma catches us doin' the rhumba....momma would just pitch a fit. I can't help myself....it's much bigger than me. If I were you I'd hang on to a rhumba man like me...!
Freddie (Memphis) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #21
Old182

Freddie, can I come and live with you?
Seriously, I've had this car since I was 14 (50 years). Drove it to high school for 2 years (when it ran) and put it in the barn where it sat through a USAF tour, college(s), marriage, kids, youget the picture. Wife said it would look good either restored or gone and I reminded her that it was part of the family before she was. That didn't go over too well, but she is absolutley in love with this car. We finished the restoration in 1988 (she did interior and woodgraining) and have driven it to Detroit, Cape Cod, Lake George, and many local events. She will drive it (although seldom does) and has received 2 national MARC fashion awards for era clothing. A couple of years ago she forced me to buy a 180A Deluxe Phaeton that needs a full restoration and I had to hold her back at the Jamestown National from her buying a '29 Roadster Pickup. Did I mention she really wants a Vicky?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChristmasPast (2).jpg (64.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg LittleCar1 (2).jpg (72.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg MillsPose (3).jpg (338.4 KB, 40 views)
Old182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #22
Freddie (Memphis)

Hell....Old182...can you do yardwork...? We can work sumpin' out, I'm sure.

If I had my "druthers"...I'd have a whole fleet of antiques...I'd be as bad as Jay Leno is.

I found an old Packard in Hemmings...up near Chicago, a '28 or '29, I think. Looked like a damned aircraft carrier from the windshield foward. I'd bet you could land F-14's on that hood...straight 8. I'll bet it was 6 feet between the front and back seats. I would have inquired more about it if I had a place to put it. But, I'd have to sell the Cobra...and it's not the best time in the marketplace to try and sell a toy like that.

So...I passed on the Packard. Sure would have looked nice with me, Karen and the boys in it...just oooozin' down the road....

I'm still doin' the rhumba, Baby...I just can't seem to quit. If momma catches us doin' the rhumba....momma would just pitch a fit. I can't help myself....it's much bigger than me. If I were you I'd hang on to a rhumba man like me...!
Freddie (Memphis) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #23
Dusty

Ugh, my wife and Model A's do not mix, kind of like chlorine and ammonia. She thinks I spend too much time playing and the house is falling down around us because of the car. BTW the house is less than four years old.

I always give her the ole guilt trip about not seeing her Grand kids enough and she will be off down south for three or four days. That always opens up a window of divine opportunity for self indulgent bliss which can only be duplicated when she returns home….I had to say that in case she reads this

Innovative
dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #24
henry494

My sweet wife of 25 years, Lisa, met me about 11 years after the purchase of my first car, our 1930 Standard Coupe, and 7 years after I bought our 1928 Special Coupe. We cruised the 30 Coupe around since it was restored, and she fell in love with it! I was restoring the Special Coupe for show and nearing completion in 1990. We had talked about owning a Phaeton "someday." Well, a real nice Phaeton showed up in Hemmings. Remember, we were in the middle of a Blue Ribbon restoration, so it was $$$+time+$$$+time, etc. Anyway, I talk to Lisa about this Phaeton in Oregon and she says, "Sounds good to me, as long as I get to pick the color." Gave her the list from the Judging Standards and the Phaeton is Niagra Blue, her choice.

Lisa does not help with the actual physical work of a restoration, but she is always in the shop with snacks, meals, and encouragement. She has gone to many swap meets over the years, but prefers to not attend them as much in recent years. With our son going to Notre Dame next month, I expect she'll go to some swaps now. I could go on from here and brag about what a Mom she is, but this thread is about Model A wives.
Lisa has also been my cheerleader through a succession of unrestored sedans, and all of the detail cleaning I've done on those. She also loves my Model A friends as if they were her own brothers. I couldn't ask for more, now could I? I would be a fool if I did!

Lisa is ready, willing, and encouraging me to get going on the re-restoration of the '30 Coupe, nicknamed Toad. To top off all of that, she shares my dreams of owning a brass car and a 1939 Deluxe Tudor someday in the future!
henry494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #25
30ccpickup

My wife likes it because I like it, you can tell she is not super thrilled with it, but she pretends to be. What more could you ask. She is a good woman.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #26
Dan Baron

I just want to say thanks to all the good woman who love and support their guys while they play with their Model A's. THANK YOU!!!! And by the way Michelle, if your ever going to read this, I.W.A.L.Y.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #27
Tony S,Fl.

Here we are at one of the stops on a tour. We have been enjoying cars of all types . Our Model A has been in the family since Janurary 1985. Been married 63 years. Life is good. Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 060.jpg (74.1 KB, 17 views)
Tony S,Fl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #28
2manycars

Wow! Most of these replies remind me of how fortunate I am to be divorced. I buy what I want, when I want, and spend money however I want, as it is MY money. I have several cars, and drive them daily. I go to car shows when I want, and stay as long as I want. No woman tells me what to do, when to do it, or how to spend my money. Life is GOOD!
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #29
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
Wow! Most of these replies remind me of how fortunate I am to be divorced. I buy what I want, when I want, and spend money however I want, as it is MY money. I have several cars, and drive them daily. I go to car shows when I want, and stay as long as I want. No woman tells me what to do, when to do it, or how to spend my money. Life is GOOD!
I was divorced for 8 wonderful years and remarried 3 years ago I still feel to this day it was a drug induced although I can’t prove it. The first year I was in a complete fog but I do recall relentless scolding’s occasional beatings and the never ending enemas.

However things are a bit better these days as I am far more clear headed (I have quit eating anything she fixes) She works days and I work nights and I try to hide as much as I can on the weekends. But all kidding aside I do love my wife and would not trade her for the world…ah nuts here she comes….now where did I put the Vaseline?

Hiding out in WV
dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #30
glenn in camino

A couple of years ago my wife allowed me to build my dream garage. She still refers to it as the damn garage but I love it and I love her too for putting up with me and my hobbies.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #31
DeBordEngineMan

I am also lucky,me and my wife have two big hobbies first one is antique Hit and Miss engines and now Model A's she has two hit and miss engines herself and I don't touch them or do anything to them she enjoys them as much as I do it started one day while in the shop working on an engine I had, just bought 4 engines and she wanted to know if she could have the "pretty green one" I thought that she had lost her mind but I told her if she could learn to start it and maintain it it was hers..... about 1 hour later in the hot sun outside I heard it fire she was grinning ear to ear she has been a great engine partner ever since. Now the Model A's, we hosted a model T event at one of our engine shows and a few guys had Model a's the bug bit us hard and we had one within a month, first time I got it running we went down the road for a test drive.....no top, no glass, no interior doors tied shut, just two metal seat springs to sit on we pulled back in the drive way and the folks next door had to come over and see what I had drug in now because we were laughing so hard as we passed there house!!! YES I AM VERY LUCKY TO HAVE HER!!! Here are a couple of pictures one of her most recent engine at a past Fall show and in front of the A before paint looks like I will have to keep me eye on the car to if she learns to start and maintain it too!!! Robert DeBord
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_4173.jpg (85.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 102_4756.jpg (52.4 KB, 17 views)
DeBordEngineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:07 AM   #32
Richard in Anaheim CA

Your sentiments of wives who let you love your Model A's and participate in all things Model A touches close to my heart. My cup runneth over with a most exceptional wife of 50 years who has been on the road in a Model A in all states but Alaska for the last 45 years.

She doesn't appreciate my rebuilding parts on her washer and dryer or having a greasy pan in "her" deep sink in the garage, nor the trail of grease across the family room nor "my messy office" which is now "our" room for using our computers.

She enthuses about our grand son, daughter and son in law driving our second Model A to Vancouver Canads with us in two weeks for the MAFCA national meet. She does have an air conditioner in both cars now.

To top off all these things she drove the 28 Tudor 35 miles last month when my left knee went out on a long trip. It was the first time in 45 years. It is unbelievable how she learned to drive from sketches on napkins in McDonalds and only stalling it 5 or 6 times from the parking place to the door to pick me up.

There are numerous old f@#+$ coveting my wife for her enthusiam and participation with the Model A. I don't mind and understand completely. If only those wives who won't participate could enjoy our hobby, there would be thousands of much happier husbands.

A surprise mocha when I come home and that "rock" for our anniversary makes her happy and I would like to say "the best is yet to come".

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:37 AM   #33
TerryH

I had a 1930 Coupe when I met my future wife and took her on a blind date in that car....had to sell it in 1967 when I went in the AF. Always missed it, but the years went by without another, until about 4 years ago she said, "why don't you get another one....I know you want one". So I did, and she even approved of me finding and buying a totally restored 1930 Town Sedan that was not inexpensive. I then took her on a tour to Yosemite, which was about an 8-10 hour trip each way.......a long day in the heat in an A, but she never complained. After 40 years, it was nice of her to suggest getting another one....I am one lucky guy!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #34
Jim Baskin III Pa.

Well I must be the luckiest guy in the world.My wife actually bid on this tudor on ebay and won.We went to philly and picked it up.When we got it home and in the garage she said finish it I want my own Model A.
Jim Baskin III Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #35
Dan Baron

I did happen to mention that I would like a Sedan delivery, and to my surprise she said why don't you sell the Town Sedan, and buy one. Well my jaw nearly hit the floor. But I can't sell the Town Sedan I promised that to my youngest daughter, because she helped me work on it, and is the only one that really is interested in the car. But it was a shock to me to know that my wife still wants me to be involved in Model A's, and didn't just roll her eyes and say here we go again. 4 and counting, 5 if you count the 2 trucks I put together to make 1.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:17 PM   #36
Fred K-OR

My wife "forced" me to rebuild my old rig that I had since I was in high school(early 1950's). Because she said it belonged in the family and I could not just let it set or get rid of if. So we have a rebuilt A. But now I have been talking about a 1945 military jeep that a neighbor has and it needs some TLC. I am not to sure if the purchase of this rig and a rebuild of it would sell to well. So guess I will have to drive the A for awhile and wait it out.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:19 AM   #37
Karl

My wife likes to ride in my cars but she also likes to leave the driving to me -Something I feel that my gearbox appreciates. The most surprising thing is that, as pictured , she is also into dressing up in period appropriate clothes Not only for the A's but also for our 1910 veteran. I find having her along makes it much more fun for me. She does get a bit grumpy when I come in from the garage and put greasy marks on the white woodwork in our house
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AndreaArtDeco.jpg (17.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg AndreaHup.jpg (37.8 KB, 20 views)
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote