Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2021, 10:59 AM   #1
craigtone

Default 1953 Project

Thought I'd share one of my projects ... 1953 Mainline Coupe. Original 6-cyinder with 3 on the tree but manual steering and brakes are a chore to drive with all the morons on the road these days.

Currently test-fitting the new engine so I can wire and get linkages nailed down. Motor is a 1986 Grand Marquis 5.0L EFI/AOD that I did a Mustang cam swap and carb conversion. Power steering using Butch's kit and F100 box, 17" Mustang rims, Aerostar front springs and Posie rears.

Getting closer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6517.JPG (255.3 KB, 282 views)
craigtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:48 PM   #2
Phil Gillespie

Default Re: 1953 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtone View Post
Thought I'd share one of my projects ... 1953 Mainline Coupe. Original 6-cyinder with 3 on the tree but manual steering and brakes are a chore to drive with all the morons on the road these days.

Currently test-fitting the new engine so I can wire and get linkages nailed down. Motor is a 1986 Grand Marquis 5.0L EFI/AOD that I did a Mustang cam swap and carb conversion. Power steering using Butch's kit and F100 box, 17" Mustang rims, Aerostar front springs and Posie rears.

Getting closer!
With these "go fast mods ie engine swap would think checking brakes for good operation needs to be done prior a road test! Maybe new linings brake fluid etc.
All the best
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:58 PM   #3
craigtone

I have '68 Mustang brakes in the rear, disc swap in the front, all new lines, POR dual master cylinder with 8" booster and disc/drum proportioning valve ... should be all set!
craigtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 05:49 PM   #4
mercman from oz

Great looking 1953 Ford Mainline Coupe. Keep up the good work.
mercman from oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:49 PM   #5
Artem458

I’m restoring a 53 Ford Mainline 3 speed here in Arizona. Do you have the 215 engine and transmission to sale?
Artem458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:52 PM   #6
38 coupe

edit: removing my first statement, I misread something and posted inaccurate information.

second statement still stands
I have not found a need to change running gear to go down the road in my 215 powered 53 (I do have overdrive); my speedometer is reading 5 mph high in this picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 80_mph.jpg (36.7 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by 38 coupe; 10-17-2021 at 08:09 PM.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:15 AM   #7
Zax40

I have a '53 with the same setup. The manual brakes and steering don't bother me too much. But that unsynchronized first gear is a pain. Having to come to a complete stop to get it in first gear tends to annoy the people behind you.
Zax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:42 AM   #8
tubman

Ever hear of double-clutching? It's an acquired skill, but useful. I got kicked out of Drivers Training when I was in high school because of it. Some other kid had tried to grab first gear in the '55 Chevrolet 150 they used and really ground the gears. "Coach Ed" Miller, the driving instructor proceeded to give us a 5 minute lecture on how it was impossible to shift these cars into first gear without coming to a complete stop. When it was my turn to drive, I double-clutched into first at the first sharp turn we encountered. and motored on.

"Coach Ed" was not impressed.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:52 PM   #9
38 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zax40 View Post
But that unsynchronized first gear is a pain. Having to come to a complete stop to get it in first gear tends to annoy the people behind you.

Install an overdrive transmission and leave the lockout handle pushed in. With freewheeling and the clutch down in there is no force on the transmission gears. You can drop into first at 5 mph without grinding even if your double clutching skills are undeveloped.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:00 PM   #10
rotorwrench

When rpm matching to 1st gear, it takes a while to get used to bringing the rpm up to match the amount needed when shifting down to a low unsynchronized gear. It has to come up a good bit unless the car is at a very slow speed. It's kind of a by ear thing which could be unfortunate for those with hearing disabilities.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote