Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
Gary-UK

Default Preserving a cabriolet top

Hello `barners... I’ve just acquired a 39 Deluxe Cabriolet, UK supplied RHD car so is a bit rare. It been in long term storage, mechanicals are very good just needs usual refresh items for reliability and had one “Blow over” repaint.

My understanding is the hood / folding top hasn’t been folded down for 25 years or so, I am of the opinion it’s original to the car, it feels “dry” but is intact, it has some mild staining but is in keeping with the rest of the car. I’d like to to try and keep it as is but make it function. Any tips before I go for folding it down or any recommendations for things I can apply to the top material make it more supple to prevent me damaging it when I fold it down for the first time.

I figured some of you guys will maybe have had experience with this predicament.

Thanks.
Gary-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
G.M.

Default Re: Preserving a cabriolet top

Clean good with a soft brush and dishwasher detergent. Let dry good and spray with a water repellant like used on boots. G.M.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
rotorwrench

Cleaning, as GM mentions, will soften fabric so that is will move again. It's been a long time since 1939 so I would be skeptical about the originality since fabric deteriorates over time unless it has been stored in the best possible environment. At least it was left up. If one stays folded too long, the creases can cause weak points on the fabric. Cleaning will give you a better idea about how well it will function for future use.

The average cotton covered airplane wing lasts 20 years if kept out of the sun but they get weak even though they are covered with dope & paint. You can push your finger right though after they deteriorate to a point.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:14 AM   #4
DavidG

In a way, it would be best if it has been replaced at some point in the past as if it is original, no matter how you clean/treat it, folding it will be a short cut to it falling apart. The handful of obviously original tops from Fords of the '30s that I've seen have been preserved by never lowering them as well as being kept in carefully controlled environments.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:33 AM   #5
Jembow

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
All of the ragtops I've had have been the double-duck fabric type which need to be regularly washed and re-proofed to keep them watertight and supple. I don't know what they supplied from Dagenham but I doubt yours is still a factory top. Clean it and dress it before you think about folding. Companies like Woolies in the UK will advise and supply suitable products.

Once the car is back in service, put the top up when you put it back in the garage. Ideally, as DavidG says, a top will last far longer if never folded, but that's not why you buy a Cabriolet! Back on the day, many Model T owners never folded the top 'cos it lost the nice taut just-fitted look, but you get lots of fresh air in a T even with the top up.

BTW, my first car was a 38 Cabriolet. Loved it but I found it was like sitting in a tornado with the top down; if there was a speck of dust on the floor it would get flung in my eye. Something to do with the aerodynamics of the vee windscreen. I had a 39 Prefect Tourer with a flat screen which was comfortable at any speed.

Hope to see you at Gaydon All Ford Day next July.
Jembow is offline   Reply With Quote