Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2018, 06:38 PM   #1
Red98

Default '50 Merc engine R&R - hood removal?

Must the hood be removed to extract and replace the engine in a '50 Merc ? (w/transmission) I have a leveler and the radiator is out. Surely it's been tried. Is special reach crane or engine hoist required?

If the hood must be removed, how many people are required? Workshop manual instructions are fuzzy. Suggestions?
Red98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:15 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: '50 Merc engine R&R - hood removal?

Never did it with the hood on but you could try it with an engine hoist.
How many does it take to remove the hood?, just one.
It can be done with a hoist and strategically placed rope. It just takes some imagination. Have done it a few times.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:23 PM   #3
19Fordy

You must remove the hood. Do not remove the hinges from the cowl. Just unbolt the hood.
I think you will find it easier to remove the engine by itself and then the transmission. Of course , you don't have to remove the front clip as shown here but the radiator must come out. I would also suggest you remove the carb,generator, fan pulley assembly and fuel pump.
In short remove anything that might get damaged. I cut the exhaust pipe as I wasn't going to reuse it. Otherwise, unbolt the header pipes. I removed the hood by myself but a helper makes it easier. Put a big thick blanket between the top of the cowl and the back of the hood to prevent paint damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1931 (Small).jpg (56.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1900 (Small).jpg (56.1 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 12-10-2018 at 07:34 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:27 PM   #4
Red98

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
... How many does it take to remove the hood?, just one. ...
There is no support above the hood for ropes, most likely your method. Once the bolts are removed from the hood, weight falls to front center and rear right and left sides. Plus the person to unscrew the bolt sounds like at least 3 persons to me more like four. I'm hoping to find either instructions to remove the hood in the driveway or a method to pull the engine - hood on.

Several shops quoted me $3k minimum for R&R plus towing, hence the search for doable answers.

19Fordy - Thanks for blanket suggestion. Single car garage means pulling car outside for access, wish I had your room.

Last edited by Red98; 12-10-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Red98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:40 PM   #5
leon bee

I can't recall ever having a hood my brother and I couldn't lift off or back on. Hudson, Buick, all pretty cumbersome. Can't you lift it off with whatever you're lifting out the engine with?
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:57 PM   #6
19Fordy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
$3K is ridiculous. You can do it in a single car garage if you roll the car halfway out of the garage and and "chock" the rear wheels with the emergency brake "ON'. I removed the hood by myself and you can too. Just think it thru. You might want to first join a car club where members can help each other.
Here's how I recall it. Check procedure to see if it makes sense. Study the hinge /spring operation to see when it's in it's relaxed state.
Raise hood and support it at the front with a broom handle or 2 x 4.
Place thick blanket between cowl and back edge o hood.
Loosen and remove hinge bolt that goes into fender - both sides. When you do this rear of hood will drop down on cowl(blanket). Now double check broom handle.
Remove bolts that are on little hood arms and disconnect arms.
Lower hood to closed position. Grasp sides of hood with both hands and lift it up and off car. Here's a small garage situation 10 x 20.
One more thought. If you remove the entire front grille and surrounding sheet metal you probably can remove the engine with hood on. Trouble is all the rusted bolts and nuts will make it difficult. Plus you still have to hold the hood up to get the engine hoist in place. If you lived closer, i'd give you a hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02566 (Medium).JPG (33.7 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 12-10-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:54 PM   #7
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red98 View Post
There is no support above the hood for ropes, most likely your method. Once the bolts are removed from the hood, weight falls to front center and rear right and left sides. Plus the person to unscrew the bolt sounds like at least 3 persons to me more like four. I'm hoping to find either instructions to remove the hood in the driveway or a method to pull the engine - hood on.

Several shops quoted me $3k minimum for R&R plus towing, hence the search for doable answers.

Single car garage means pulling car outside for access, wish I had your room.
I removed and replaced my hood several times by myself in a single car garage.
Using a Harbor Freight rope pulley attached to a rope cradle attached to 4 corners of the hood.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HOOD 2.jpg (39.2 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg HOOD 3.jpg (40.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg HOOD 5.jpg (35.4 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 12-11-2018 at 07:48 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:56 AM   #8
Ol' Ron

If you have to ask these questions, you need help. Most of this stuff is just logical. However if you've never done it, get help.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
If you have to ask these questions, you need help. Most of this stuff is just logical. However if you've never done it, get help.

Words well-spoken! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #10
RalphG

If you are young and strong you might remove a hood that size yourself. I think I might have done it once upon a time but now I know enough to ask for help. Back injuries and scratched paint take the fun out of a job like that. Its no big job to unbolt, just needs a pair of extra hands to hold everything steady.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #11
rotorwrench

Reinstalling the hood after it has been freshly painted is the only time I ever used a helper. Mine are 51 cars but the hood is the same. On the last one, I pulled the engine with a support jack under the transmission and it came out without pulling the hood. I removed the radiator and the top core support brace first. It was no problem removing it from there. I took the carb off too but that was so I wouldn't damage it with the chain I attached to the intake. After that, I removed the transmission (3-speed with OD) from underneath.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #12
19Fordy

Rotorwrench and 51Merc have supplied superlative info. Thanks.
I learned something new too.
You should now be good to go by yourself if confidence level and skills allow.
However, get help if needed. Is there none in your neighborhood, like a car guy or a
teenager who could assist and also learn at the same time?
Old 12-11-2018, 11:22 AM   #13
philipswanson

Put several towels at the base of the hood when open to protect glass, hood and paint. Let it slide down on towels after removing bolts. Have helper remove bolts on one side and you the other. Let it slide down to the towels, tilt forward to balance and you and the helper put it down carefully on more padding to protect the corners. Works on any hood.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote