Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2018, 07:33 AM   #1
tubman

Default Block availability

Yesterday, I sold one of my spare engines to a guy who is building an A-V8. He only needed a good block, but he bought and paid for a good complete engine because he can't find a good 8BA block. He has gone through five different blocks, all of which were cracked. You would think that up here in North Central Minnesota these blocks should be easy to find, but apparently not. This guy is no "Rookie" either, being deeply involved with Model "T"'s for a long time (he wanted something a little faster this time). I would have thought that a simple "Wanted" ad either here or on the "H.A.M.B." would have turned a couple up, but I guess that doesn't work any more either. It looks to me like the day of the crack-free $400 8BA block is gone. Given this, I'd hate to be in the position of trying to find an earlier block. Anybody else seeing this?

Tod - How are you coming along?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:10 AM   #2
corvette8n

Default Re: Block availability

I see a lot of "rare" flathead blocks of questionable condition listed on Craigslist for unreasonable values, forget trying to negotiate with these sellers.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
Hoop

How about "wanted ad" buyers who want:

!. Pictures ... of a bare block stored deep in my shop. Too lazy to come and look at it ... and help me drag it out.

2. Guarantees ... they want it pressure tested at twice the price I'm asking even after I assure them I will refund their money if it turns out to be cracked.

3. To offer half (cheap) what I'm asking ... over the phone.

I really don't think guys realize how much they turn off grumpy old guys with a stash of good parts.

Not sure what "negotiate" means.

Last edited by Hoop; 02-02-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:05 AM   #4
SofaKing

I regularly see blocks starting at $600-800 in unknown condition regarding cracks but terrible looking and they go up from there.

I have observed that people here want to negotiate the price before they have seen the item. They usually prefer to communicate via texting. Buyers and sellers both have a tendency to ignore the idea that the first person to show-up with the money gets the first choice to purchase the item. I thought it was a Utah thing since I never noticed it before but maybe it's just the way people do business now.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
19Fordy

I would think a good crack free. magnafluxed 8BA block would be worth $1000.
After all, it's the foundation of your engine AND the days of 1956 prices are long gone.
Old is gold.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-02-2018 at 10:50 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:13 AM   #6
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
I would think a good crack free. magnafluxed 8BA block would be worth $1000.
After all,it's the foundation of your engine AND the days of 1956 prices are long gone.
I sold a standard bore, magge'd, sonic tested, and cleaned '53 block approx. 6 years ago for $800 so that price has to be higher by now. I live in the North East so it's possible supply is less here due to the elements. Only reason I sold it was because I was moving and wanted to cut down on weight. If I didn't move, I'd still have it.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #7
flatford8

“I have observed that people here want to negotiate the price before they have seen the item. They usually prefer to communicate via texting”.
I have seen happen. I dont negotiate. The price is the price. ..... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:30 PM   #8
Yoyodyne

In the past 5 years I bought 6 37/38 engines for $250-$300 in varying degrees of condition from complete takeouts to rusty shortblocks. Every one was freeze cracked beyond repair, so I have about $5K in parts and cleaning/magnaflux bills and nothing but a bunch of rods and cranks and oil pans to show for it. I finally bought a good 37 block from a Barn member for $500 and shipped it for $200 and was glad to get it.

Then after all that I bought a perfect 36LB block for $200. I guess I was paying my dues.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #9
Yoyodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
“I have observed that people here want to negotiate the price before they have seen the item. They usually prefer to communicate via texting”.
I have seen happen. I dont negotiate. The price is the price. ..... Mark
When someone wants to haggle price before even seeing the condition of something like this I take the opportunity to become a real crank.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:36 PM   #10
Seth Swoboda

In my recent experience I have rebuilt 4 flathead engines. Everyone of them has been crack free. I do have an 8ba block that has a small crack that could be repaired plus another 59A engine that I picked up for nothing that supposedly is cracked. I also have many other 8BA and 59A blocks in my inventory that may be rebuild candidates. What I'm saying is that I have a good supply of engines cores. I have yet taken an engine into a machine shop for inspection and fail the cracked block test, I've been lucky.

I never pay more than $200 for a complete engine that is of unknown condition. I have never sold a good block. I thought about having some of mine cleaned, tested for cracks and then selling them but I didn't think I'd ever get my money back. Could be wrong.

Oh, anyone need a Model A engine? Got plenty of those too.

Last edited by Seth Swoboda; 02-02-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #11
GordonC

I have sorta been on the lookout for a runner 8ba as a back up should my rebuilt engine become too much of a hassle to straighten out and I am seeing more of the older flatheads than the newer ones. Seems guys with the newer ones think they should get $1500 or more for them. They got em and can charge what they like but that seems a tad on the rich side for me for an engine that may or may not be good. Older ones seem to be in the $500 to $800 range for non runners. I think your right, good 8ba blocks are starting to get a bit scarce around me here in NC.
GordonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #12
tubman

After reading some of these posts, I now realize the guy I sold the engine to got a hell of a deal. Oh well, he seems to be a real nice guy.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #13
Oakhurst

A few months ago, I was looking for a good V8 60 block. A known retailer in San Jose offered that i pick up the three he had, take them home for inspection, keep the one i wanted and return the other two and $750. Seemed high to me at the time, but I'm happy with the deal. Engine is now at Joe Boghosian's in Fresno CA for rebuilding.
Oakhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:48 PM   #14
petehoovie

• [QUOTE=tubman;1587515] You would think that up here in North Central Minnesota these blocks should be easy to find, but apparently not.

I would think that freeze-cracked blocks are plentiful in North Central Minnesota....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:53 PM   #15
Ggmac

I just purchased a 40,000 mile 1939 221 from a friend down the street . It was his spare he's had for over 50 yrs . On a test stand , ran it monthly along with his A , 39 Tudor and a 69 mustang . It is spotless and painted orig . He replaced the rings aprx 40 yrs ago has a old rebuilt dist and recent starter and generator and water pumps . He asked $1200. And that's what I gave him . Without question . He knows he could of gotten more but is a gentleman . I'm in his dept .
There are still good guys out there . All of this flathead talk got me motivated to disassemble a 1936 21 stud I've had since my teens . I found it spotless , std bore no ridge . Go figure , it's been there all the time ! Gonna get it running and stick on the test stand .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:53 PM   #16
slowforty

Evidently I better go and cover the spark plug holes on the wore out running 40 engine I took out of my 40 last year. It is in heated storage under a cover.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:48 PM   #17
transbytip

What am I doing wrong?Have a complete 49 Merc 4 in stroke eng,advertised it for $850.00 no takers heads&pan off for insp, have at least a half dozen 8ba bare blocka&2 21 stud blocks plus a ton of pts. [email protected] (631)682-6091 Cliff.
transbytip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #18
Ggmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by transbytip View Post
What am I doing wrong?Have a complete 49 Merc 4 in stroke eng,advertised it for $850.00 no takers heads&pan off for insp, have at least a half dozen 8ba bare blocka&2 21 stud blocks plus a ton of pts. [email protected] (631)682-6091 Cliff.
Dang , too bad you live so far !
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:02 PM   #19
GB SISSON

Sometimes a deal comes up less than 2 miles away, where a chevy guy wants to unload a bunch of 'boat anchors' he got from his father in law. He told me his father in law scrapped 14 cracked blocks but kept these. Sorry, none are for sale, they are part of my retirement plan. Just sayin' they are still out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eddies engines 068.jpg (77.9 KB, 147 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:18 PM   #20
Kahuna

Four years ago I went thru the same thing: 5 blocks, all bad.
I finally got a good one from Vern Tardell in Santa Rosa, CA.
To double check everything I took the block to John Beck in
Chico, CA. John is always heavily involved in the Engine Masters
Challenge. I had the block Pressure Tested, Magnafluxed & Sonic
Tested. At that point I felt I had a great foundation and was into
the Block about $800.00 before machining. $550 block & 250 Testing
So,Yes, the days of the good cheap blocks are gone as far as I can
tell.
Three years ago at a large swap meet, a gentleman had a block & Merc
crank for sale with the Mag test tag for $800.00. No one would buy it &
several complained that the price was way too high. Strange times.
Jim

GQMAC
Spend the money & have it or them tested, not inspected. You'll find willing buyers
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote