Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #1
DirtyDan

Default ~~DirtyDan's 1936 Ford Coupe Project - Build Pictures~~** UPDATED**

**UPDATES ON PAGE 2 & 3**

I have posted this to the HAMB already, but I have had a bunch of Ford Barn members ask me questions about my car and ask for some pics, so I figure I would post this on the here as well. If this is modified too much for this site, moderators feel free to delete. All mods were done increase drive-ability while trying to maintain a traditional look.

*** Warning ~ Stocker turned into a Hot Rod Below***

Since I’m wrapping up the final details on my project and I took pics the along the way I figured I would do a build thread on my 36 5 window.

A little back ground story:

I had searched for months to find a 36 coupe, and finally settled on a nice 35, 5w that I found locally stashed in a garage for the last 20 years. I bought the 35, and got it running only to find a beautiful 36 coupe in CA a week later. The car was absolutely rust free and had an older restoration. The 36 was more what I was after and quickly purchased the car from a HAMB member site un-seen. I had it shipped all the way from Sacramento CA, to St. Louis, MO. I was extremely happy with the 36, but now I had two 5w coupes.

Loading up in CA

I decided to sell the 35 and use the money to focus on the 36. I posted it it for sale and a gentleman in Finland snapped it up.

After driving the 36 for the summer in original condition, I decided I had to make it a little more of a hot rod. I planned on a simple drop axle, juice brakes, and big and little Firestones, and maybe a few flathead speed parts and call it done. It seemed like a good plan until over the winter I noticed a small oily puddle of water under the car. The car had a very good running 40 flathead motor, but apparently it did not like the cold St. Louis winter, and it developed a crack on the skirt.

So out came the ol’ 40 motor

While I was at it, I might as well pull the original front and rear suspension and prep it for a rebuild.

4" Superbell drop axle with 40 ford split wishbones and Posies spring in the foreground.

So I managed to tear the car all apart, just in time to take on another project:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=293538

So the 36 sits for a year or so while I finish up the Rivi… During this time I discover the “Ultimate T-5” article on the HAMB and decide that’s the way to go with the 36 to make it a bit more highway friendly. So I start collecting parts again.

I found a great deal on a very ugly, but freshly rebuilt 8BA to replace the cracked 40 motor, and have it shipped in from Colorado.

I also ran into a great deal on some crusty old flathead speed parts

After a round in the blast cabinet. I probably should have left it alone here, but decided to do a full polish on the intake later.

Last edited by DirtyDan; 08-14-2011 at 12:14 PM.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
DirtyDan

Default Re: ~~DirtyDan's 1936 Ford Coupe Project - Build Pictures~~

And since the motor is out, I might as well paint the beat up multi colored firewall

The firewall was my first attempt at painting, and it turned out well, so I turned my attention to that ugly (but patriotic) motor. I also found some pretty decent 16” steel wheels. I debated for weeks on what color to paint the motor and wheels and finally settled on gold.

In this mock up you may notice I swapped out the 8BA Offy heads for some early style Edlebrock Block letter heads. I also picked up a couple of 97s.

With the motor painted up, I moved on to fitting the junkyard S-10 transmission to the flathead. I decided to use the adapter plate made by Dwight Bond, because it seemed to use the most amount of factory ford parts, and would allow me to use 39 pedals for the clutch and brakes. I had a few problems figuring out the clutch and pressure plate, but in the end it all seemed to work out pretty good.

I decided on a Superbell 4" drop axle and had to split the wishbones to make room for the new T-5. I used a modified Pete & Jakes split kit once I removed the stock frame crossmember.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
DirtyDan

With everything bolted up it was finally time to start it. Amazingly enough it fired within the first few cranks. Finally did something right! It still had lots of bugs and needed fine tuning, but it was finally driveable.
First start- Video:

Finally got some exhaust on the car

Since I promised pictures from start to “almost” finished… Here are some pics I took of the car last week. It will eventually get the hood back on it, but for now I'm show'n off the flatty!

And a few artsy fartsy ones…

Old 03-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
DirtyDan

My dad was a huge help on this project. Now that mine is almost done, we will be working on his 35 Cabriolet next.

Yup... Its gonna be a hot rod too! The complete running drivetrain will be available for sale soon.

After crawling around on the ground, he decided to go ahead and build a frame and swap the body over. It will be a very similar build to my car.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
joel

Thanks for the pics; you and your dad have 2 very nice cars.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
Tom's36coupe

Dan, Thanks again for the pictures, your car as I have said before is my inspiration for my project! Enjoy the ride!
Tom's36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
Charlie ny
BANNED

Dan,
MAJOR....just....MAJOR.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
Will Kimble

Nice work!
Will Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
bobfrev

Dan, do you have any problem with the front tires rubbing the fender well lips when you turn right or left with the drop that much and full size wide white walls?
bobfrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
Tom's36coupe

I was wondering the same thing. I want to lower my front end and not sure how much to take it down.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
Mike B

Tastefully done!
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
35cab

Very nice, just the right amount of hopping up. Keep us posted on the cabriolet.
35cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #13
BobM

Dan, job well done; that's how a real "hot rod" should look IMO. I too have a '36 & would like to do some of the things you have: how did you remove center section at the x-member with the body on? Is that the original '36 steering in the car, did you have to change water pumps, what oil pan did you use? Is the front axle also narrowed? Will you have an emergency brake? Am also concerned about front tire clearance (inner fender & wishbone?)
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #14
Vic Piano

Simply outstanding. Beautiful job on a beautiful car.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #15
DirtyDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfrev View Post
Dan, do you have any problem with the front tires rubbing the fender well lips when you turn right or left with the drop that much and full size wide white walls?
Amazing enough, my tires do not rub anywhere even at full lock. Now if I was at full lock and hit a big bump, they would rub, but how often would that happen. The front tires are Coker Firestone 550-16's on a stock 4" 1940 Ford wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Dan, job well done; that's how a real "hot rod" should look IMO. I too have a '36 & would like to do some of the things you have: how did you remove center section at the x-member with the body on? Is that the original '36 steering in the car, did you have to change water pumps, what oil pan did you use? Is the front axle also narrowed? Will you have an emergency brake? Am also concerned about front tire clearance (inner fender & wishbone?)
I removed the x member using a plasma cutter. I originally tried drilling out the rivets but I got nowhere fast. The steering is all 1939 Ford, including the box, column, drop and steering wheel. I had to change the bracket on the frame, but Drake is repoping them now fairly cheap. The motor is an 8BA with truck water pumps so I can use the stock frame mounts. The oil pan is from a truck motor as well. It needed a little persuading with a hammer to clear the tie rod, but it works fine now. The front axle is a standard 4" drop Superbell for a 1940 Ford. I had 40 wishbones already split so I used those. I have a chrome Gennie Shifter E-brake mounted to the transmission next to the shifter that looks very similar to the stock 36 unit. I have no clearance issues front or rear w/ the tires.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #16
hbleadsled

Dan ,you did a great job on your 36 ford it sits just right, well done. Harold central coast Ca.
hbleadsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:16 PM   #17
Tim

Super Bitchin'

Love everything about it.

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #18
felix37

Great looking car! and some awesome photography as well.
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #19
~~Walts37~~

WoW Super nice job ~~Walts37~~
~~Walts37~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #20
ajohn

Simply beautiful!Excellent job!
ajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #21
40fordpu

Dan

Nice work. Can you tell us a little about the process and equipment you used to do the painting of the components/firewall. Thanks
40fordpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #22
Joe AZ

Beautiful job Dan, your '36 really has "the look". I'm just starting the process of doing much the same to a '40 coupe.
Joe
Joe AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:11 AM   #23
coupe5w36

Beautiful coupe Dan. Well done!
coupe5w36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:54 AM   #24
Ray Parson

it only takes that one bump but thats what hot rods are all about F *** it just kick it. me i think id nock the tire size now a noch good 36 fenders are a bitch to find . but it do look goood rock on
Ray Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:27 AM   #25
31chevy

Very Very nice, Happy to see you use a flathead instead of you know what.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:25 AM   #26
DirtyDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40fordpu View Post
Dan

Nice work. Can you tell us a little about the process and equipment you used to do the painting of the components/firewall. Thanks
This was my first attempt at painting anything other than with a spray can. I used a $5 garage sale Binks siphon feed gun. The paint was Dupont Nason line of single stage acrylic enamel. I removed the glove box door and took it to the paint shop for a photo color match on the blue. It took 2 tries, but I think they got it very close. The gold color was also Nason, from there fleet line of paints. I wanted to use HOK pacific gold, but I also wanted a single stage paint for the motor and it was not offered by HOK, and I'm also a cheap bastard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Parson View Post
it only takes that one bump but thats what hot rods are all about F *** it just kick it. me i think id nock the tire size now a noch good 36 fenders are a bitch to find . but it do look goood rock on
Its a risk I'm willing to take!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #27
Gumpy

Very nice car with no exspense spared.....love the eddie meyer intake!
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #28
Six Pack to go

Very nice! Dont know how I missed this on the HAMB!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #29
Scott/Mn

'36 Ford coupe, done just right!
Scott/Mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #30
a banger

Nice job Dan, good looking 36. I'm curious about your rear end set up and what if any adapters were used to run the 40 wheels. I'm doing a 36 2-dr and wanting the same look.
Thanks'
a banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #31
DirtyDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by a banger View Post
Nice job Dan, good looking 36. I'm curious about your rear end set up and what if any adapters were used to run the 40 wheels. I'm doing a 36 2-dr and wanting the same look.
Thanks'
Thanks for the complements. There are no adapters needed to run the wheels on the early Bronco rear end. It is one of the reasons I chose it. It has a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern and the wheels bolt right on. The width is right on for the car as well. I had to change the spring perches of course, but that was pretty simple.

I've done some work to the car since this was posted. I lowered the rear end a bit and added some 1940 Ford accessory inner trim rings to the wheels. I also moved the rear bumper in with some shorter bumper brackets, since it was way out there with the spare tire removed.

The car is currently at the upholstery shop getting a complete new interior. I'll post some updated pics when it gets back in a few weeks. I should have the grille changed by then as well. I picked up a original chrome grille to replace the poor fitting aftermarket unit.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #32
Gumpy

very nice car like the rear end and open driveline!!
Old 06-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #33
Jim P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
This was my first attempt at painting anything other than with a spray can. I used a $5 garage sale Binks siphon feed gun. The paint was Dupont Nason line of single stage acrylic enamel. I removed the glove box door and took it to the paint shop for a photo color match on the blue. It took 2 tries, but I think they got it very close. The gold color was also Nason, from there fleet line of paints. I wanted to use HOK pacific gold, but I also wanted a single stage paint for the motor and it was not offered by HOK, and I'm also a cheap bastard.
The blue is beautiful. Did they happen to come up with a paint code on it or just play with it till they got a match? I would love to know a code for that color.

Thanks
Jim P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #34
BobM

Dan, beautiful car! Am doing something similar, I have a '36 Tudor that will have an 8BA but a 4 speed top loader. Could you give me a little detail as to how you got the T-5 tail shaft to fit thru the center cross member? In the photos it looks like you retained the stock cross braces going to the center section. I thought these would be removed if you replace the entire cross member & replaced with something else. I see CE offers a kit to replace cross member but looks like would be very difficult to do with the body on or without cutting the floor. Were you able to do this without removing the body?
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #35
Django

I like the accessory caps Dan. And I was just going to ask you if you had done anything with the new grille when I saw the thread pop up.

I have new paint and new interior now. I'm not posting pics until after our show on Saturday though.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #36
DirtyDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
I like the accessory caps Dan. And I was just going to ask you if you had done anything with the new grille when I saw the thread pop up.

I have new paint and new interior now. I'm not posting pics until after our show on Saturday though.
Tease!

I cant believe you painted it!

make sure you post some pics when the big reveal is over
Old 06-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #37
Django

I had to, yours looks too nice!

That was always the plan, but I'm sure lots of people will be shocked. It was just the fenders and decklid for now but I did get new chrome bumpers.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:02 AM   #38
DirtyDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
The blue is beautiful. Did they happen to come up with a paint code on it or just play with it till they got a match? I would love to know a code for that color.

Thanks
Jim, I took my glove box lid in and they did a photo match. It is close but not perfect. It is supposed to be Washington Blue, but it looks like it has a bit of purple in it.

Here is a scan of the label from the can:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Dan, beautiful car! Am doing something similar, I have a '36 Tudor that will have an 8BA but a 4 speed top loader. Could you give me a little detail as to how you got the T-5 tail shaft to fit thru the center cross member? In the photos it looks like you retained the stock cross braces going to the center section. I thought these would be removed if you replace the entire cross member & replaced with something else. I see CE offers a kit to replace cross member but looks like would be very difficult to do with the body on or without cutting the floor. Were you able to do this without removing the body?
I removed the entire crossmember. I used a plasma cutter to remove it. I used a Pete & Jakes split kit, and modified the plate to extend further down and support the center of the crossmember. My dad's car is using the CE kit with the top support, but his body is removed. I would like to add some support to the top eventually, but you are right, its tough to do with the body on.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #39
IVT1

Boy you are dirty
Old 08-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #40
DirtyDan

A little update:

The 36 is finally at the point where I can say it is damn near done... they are never really done, but its close. I still have to clean up some wiring and have the original gauges rebuilt.

I drove it to the NSRA Nationals in Louisville KY, putting nearly 700 miles on the car in the process without issue. Ran around 70-75 mph the whole way. Who says you can't drive a flathead powered car.

The first big change was the interior. I really didn't plan on having the interior done until after driving it this summer, but my upholstery guy had an opening, and he is getting enough customers that you gotta grab it when it becomes available. I tried to find a color that would complement the wood grain and settled on a "Cinnamon" ultra leather material, and "Bronze" Square weave carpet. I am really happy w/ the results.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Old 08-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #41
DirtyDan

Another big change was replacing the cheap aftermarket, ill fitting grille with an original chrome unit. I think it made a big difference and I could finally install the hood.

I also found some original 40 ford accessory trim rings at a swap meet that were in pretty rough shape, but they were super cheap so I bought them and after knocking out a few dings and hitting them with the polishing wheel they found a home on the coupe.

I also lowered the back end down by building some spring perches that incorperated a lowering block. While I was at it I removed the last leaf in the pack and it rides much better.

Last edited by DirtyDan; 08-14-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #42
DirtyDan

And since I was in a picture taking mood, I took a ride up to the gritty north side of St. Louis to get a few pics with the changes.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #43
bart78

Love it hope my 38 will look like that some day.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #44
JM 35 Sedan

How is that '35 Cabriolet coming along? I would have given a left body part to own that one in its stock form.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #45
'36 5W

Ah, perfection, especially the new stance. (And the gaps around the new grille, unlike so
many....)
'36 5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #46
Tinker

Really looks nice and the interior is beautiful! You made a lot of nice changes to the 36'.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #47
DirtyDan

Thanks for the complements!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
How is that '35 Cabriolet coming along? I would have given a left body part to own that one in its stock form.
Not much going on with the '35 right now. My dad is focusing on a 66 Nova that was my first car. Trying to get it ready to head to the paint shop and free up some room in the garage to tear the '35 apart.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #48
1931 flamingo

I like the B?W photos.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #49
41ford1

Dan,
You have the formula. The 36 IMO is a work of art. I think you and your dad will do justice to the cabriolet. BTW I really like the sepia shot.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #50
Ken Crans

That's Bitchinnn!!!
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #51
Tom's36coupe

Awesome Dan!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #52
TomT/Williamsburg

Great looking car - love the stance, color combo, drivetrain, everything about it - you've hit the "nail on the head" with this one! Super car!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #53
fourtydlx

Send a message via Yahoo to fourtydlx

Just bitchin.
fourtydlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #54
4-barrel Mike

The bar is set VERY high for those of us starting with rusty piles!

Mike
4-barrel Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #55
deuce lover

My old grille sure looks and fits good in your car
deuce lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #56
DirtyDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford1 View Post
Dan,
You have the formula. The 36 IMO is a work of art. I think you and your dad will do justice to the cabriolet. BTW I really like the sepia shot.
Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
The bar is set VERY high for those of us starting with rusty piles!

Mike
Yeah I sorta cheated on this one by starting with an already nice car, but I do admire the guys who can turn those piles into beautiful cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
My old grille sure looks and fits good in your car
Sheldon,
Thank you, it did turn out great. I think it really sets the car off compared to how it used to look w/ the Argentina repop grille on there. I ended up removing all the silver paint from the grille bars to expose all of the chrome.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #57
Tom's36coupe

Dan, You should send some pictures to Rod & Custom or Street Rodder magazine, Your car could be a feature article its so nice!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #58

Thumbs up Re: ~~DirtyDan's 1936 Ford Coupe Project - Build Pictures~~

I usually like them stock but I just wanted to say you've done a beautifull job on your '36! Congrats!
1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:57 AM   #59
DirtyDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom's36coupe View Post
Dan, You should send some pictures to Rod & Custom or Street Rodder magazine, Your car could be a feature article its so nice!!!
Haha... Thanks for the complements, but I don't think it's quite that nice, she's still just a driver.... Of course I've been pretty disappointed seeing some magazine cars in person, that looked amazing in print.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1934 View Post
I usually like them stock but I just wanted to say you've done a beautifull job on your '36! Congrats!
Thank you, I like them stock too. The changes I made could be easily reversed. It sure is nice being able to cruise 75 mph down the highway
Old 08-16-2011, 06:17 AM   #60

I hear ya, Dan- my roadster is ok at 50 to 55mph but more than that is pushing it! (I need another gear or 2).
1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #61
Vic Piano

That '36 is simply outstanding! A beautiful job. Vic
Old 10-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #62
Gumpy

very nice work ------love your gold painted flattie!!
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Old 02-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #63
nitrohonkey

I never become tired of looking at your car...it motivates me to keep building my 5 window!
nitrohonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #64
Roadster5040

Great job on car very nice. The photos and back drop of old architecture was amazing. Keep up the nice work.
Roadster5040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #65
TomT/Williamsburg

Absolutely stunning! Wow - just wow! Great work, outstanding detail - perfect!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #66
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

I am not a pure hot rodder but you are turning me into one looking at your projects .youv done a nice job .

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #67
Kiwi Helrod

Absolutely awesome looking job you've done, the colour, the stance to me is spot on.
Kiwi Helrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #68
Henry/Kokomo

No matter what a person's personal tastes are, good workmanship is universal. Great job on a beautiful car!
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #69
FHFD

Nicely done..your efforts really paid off.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #70
Hank the 36

Great looking car Dan, Did I miss your rear tire size in your posts ??
H36
Hank the 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #71
Bruce/CT

Sad....another 75 year bites the dust....bruce
Old 02-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #72
Bill in Al

Beautiful! Took my breath.
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #73
swedishsteel

Dan what is the paint color/brand? I've got a coupe just like about ready for paint, want to paint it blue. Washington blue sample I got from local shop was too dark. What you have looks "right". I'm in Minnesota so I doubt we'll cross paths with nearly identical looking cars. By the was, I have the same intake setup, but with the Eddie Meyers repop heads. Great car. thanks Rod
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #74
DirtyDan

Thanks for the compliments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank the 36 View Post
Great looking car Dan, Did I miss your rear tire size in your posts ??
H36
Rear tires are Coker Firestone 700x16's

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishsteel View Post
Dan what is the paint color/brand? I've got a coupe just like about ready for paint, want to paint it blue. Washington blue sample I got from local shop was too dark. What you have looks "right". I'm in Minnesota so I doubt we'll cross paths with nearly identical looking cars. By the was, I have the same intake setup, but with the Eddie Meyers repop heads. Great car. thanks Rod
The paint was on the car when I bought it... I'd say it's around 25 yrs old or so. I brought the glovebox door into my Dupont paint store and they did a photo match. It is not a true Washington Blue either. I think there are more variations of "Washington Blue" than any other color I have seen.

Here is a scan of the paint codes for when I had them match the color to paint my firewall:

Old 12-01-2012, 01:31 AM   #75
peewee2you

Dan, that is one "Bad Ass" 36. Fantastic!!
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #76
joe plumber

Very nice ,thanks for posting .
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #77
hardtimes

Hey DirtyDan,
You knocked it out of the park !!
BTW, in one of your interior photos, I noticed that your 'cigar lighter' was 'missing' !
I mention this as I just acquired a '36 five window ..from which the lighter was missing. I've noticed a number of same cars with missing lighter. i asked a '36 crazy buddy...what's with all the missing lighters from '36 cars...he didn't know either.
Hm, I love them all , i.e.- stock/improved/etc....your end product has got me thinking of keeping my coupe as I bought as 'stock'...like you 'sight unseen' ...but rec'd something inbetween your creation and stock. Ford made a jewel in beautiful metal form when he created the '36 and you have really showed those lines off well. Congrats!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #78
Retroline

Dan,
Your '36 was a big inspiration for me and after finding a nice '36 to start with I hope it'll run the same direction as yours. I'm pulling the engine now to take off the C-4 auto that was adapted and replacing with a T-5. Not unrestoring it as it was tampered with already,just making it drive nice with the parts I have.
Maybe it'll be too Hotrod for the Barn but too stock for the HAMB.
I have saved plenty of your photos throughout the build up and taken in the details.
Nice job.
Retroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #79
Richard Wilson

" too Hotrod for the Barn but too stock for the HAMB"

I like it already!
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #80
DirtyDan

Thanks again for all the complements... she's had lots of miles put on her since originally posting this. Not much has changed except getting ready to install a freshly chromed windshield frame to replace the rusted out one currently on there.

I have replaced my empty Cigar lighter spot with a modern power outlet to power my GPS , charge my phone etc (this is a driver), and found a vintage knob to plug the hole with while not in use.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:33 PM   #81
SETHDOUG

HEY DAN I HAVE A 35 CABRIOLET ALMOST A TWIN TO YOURS ,,, I HAVE A 59ab 48 MERC IN MINE AND WANT TO ASK A QUESTION OF YOU AND ANY PERSONS ON THIS FORUM MAYBE CAN HELP ME .. I WANT TO REPLACE MY FLATHEAD WITH A 5.0 FORD CRATE MOTOR AND A FORD AOD AUTOMATIC TRANS WITH AN 8 IN FORD REAR .. CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH PROBLEMS I MAY BE HEADED FOR , LIKE WILL I HAVE TO CUT THE FIREWALL OR WILL I BE CUTTING ANY CROSS MEMBERS TO MAKE THE FORD 302 FIT ??? THANKS
[email protected]
SETHDOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:35 PM   #82
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wilson View Post
" too Hotrod for the Barn but too stock for the HAMB"

I like it already!

Think this might be the best thing said or I've heard in a long time.

Although I might not totally agree with the t5 and open drive. I get it. It's a decent car.

Question: it was a hot 50s show ticket to put a 3 on the tree in a 36-40. Also could be done with a 50s 3tree over drive. Anyone seen one done?

Enjoyed the progress of this 36 car!

Last edited by Tinker; 12-23-2018 at 01:56 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:33 AM   #83
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETHDOUG View Post
HEY DAN I HAVE A 35 CABRIOLET ALMOST A TWIN TO YOURS ,,, I HAVE A 59ab 48 MERC IN MINE AND WANT TO ASK A QUESTION OF YOU AND ANY PERSONS ON THIS FORUM MAYBE CAN HELP ME .. I WANT TO REPLACE MY FLATHEAD WITH A 5.0 FORD CRATE MOTOR AND A FORD AOD AUTOMATIC TRANS WITH AN 8 IN FORD REAR .. CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH PROBLEMS I MAY BE HEADED FOR , LIKE WILL I HAVE TO CUT THE FIREWALL OR WILL I BE CUTTING ANY CROSS MEMBERS TO MAKE THE FORD 302 FIT ??? THANKS
[email protected]
Not really the forum for this type of modification. The firewall will most likely require modification. An AOD is a large transmission and requires major modifications to the frame in addition to removal of the center section. I have an early Ford with a 302/AOD setup, but that it is a Street Rod, it required a LOT of frame and floorboard modification!!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:01 AM   #84
Tinker

or not really at all...
Old 12-23-2018, 10:14 AM   #85
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETHDOUG View Post
[email protected]
Just a thought that you may not appreciate hearing,.....but why not think about buying a car that's already built like you want, and sell your 35 Cabriolet to someone who would appreciate having a more original car. Seems like so many nice original early Fords get chopped up, and painted some Jelly Bean color, then wind up as non sellers on eBay and Craigslist. JMHO, and my apologies if this offends you or others who post here.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote