Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #1
V12Bill

Default Exhaust Diagram

Just purchase a dual exhaust system from Waldrons for my 1950 Ford F1. I had nothing to start with and now need to know what goes over, under or through.The system is stock on the right side and a mirror image on the left side. A diagram of a stock system would be a big help. I understand that I may need to tweak a few pipes, but I need to know what is right and what is wrong before I tweak in the wrong direction. A source of a diagram would be a great help. Thanks
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #2
B-O-B

Default Re: Exhaust Diagram

Google google google
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
butchbov

Buy a shop manual.

In a world filled with stress it is better to give than to receive.
butchbov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #4
V12Bill

I have shop manuals and I have googled.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:36 PM   #5
FortyNiner

Try this:https://www.fordmanuals.com/estore/P...R20049_4lg.gif
Old 08-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #6
V12Bill

The diagram that you post has a single pipe on the right side from the manifold to the muffler. The Waldron system that I have has two pieces between the manifold and the muffler and does not show if the pipe goes under, over or through the cross member. I was told that Waldron uses the original pipe lay out , at least on the right side other than the cross over pipe.. Maybe I need to call Walddron and see what they have to say.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:57 AM   #7
flatheadmurre

On a F1 it´s usually nothing going through...just over the rearaxle.
And since its a dual system made by Waldron they should be able to supply you with the hanger points they had in mind and you go from there.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:54 PM   #8
V12Bill

According to Waldron, the pipe goes through the cross member. There is a hole on the right side for the master cylinder in export cars /trucks, but I happen to be using the hole in the left side for my master cylinder. Maybe I can remove the master cylinder. Is it that important? I would like to see a Henry stock picture or diagram. The chassis books show 6 cylinder and school bus applications, but no V8 F1.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:41 PM   #9
V12Bill

The hole for the export master cylinder on the right side measures 1 3/4". I'm going to need a BF hammer to get that 2" pipe through that. Disappointed in Waldron. Thought their level of expertise was higher than that.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #10
scicala

I don't think you will find a diagram in any Ford manual or literature, since it was never offered on the assembly line or as a dealer accessory. Best hope would be a diagram from Waldron, if they have such a thing. Or get all of the pieces under the truck and figure out how it has to be.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #11
V12Bill

Sal, From past experience I am afraid you are right. Preliminary set up shows a big difference between the fit on the left and fit on the right. Get out the torch and heat and bend to suit. Just what I didn't want to do. That is why I went to Waldron in the first place.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:55 PM   #12
rotorwrench

The OEM set up (single exhaust) had a traditional forked pipe for the right side. The manifolds exited on the front for both sides so the left cross over was just a 90 degree bend to cross over and join on the lower fork of the right pipe. There is a diagram for V8 F100 pickup in my 1948 thru 55 Ford truck chassis parts book and it is very similar to all the F1 types as well. The pipe goes under the center cross member then over the rear axle as was previously mentioned. Here is a link to Mac/Ekler's site for a comparison. https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_t...+pipe&x=23&y=8

The OEM front pipe would have to lose the cross over fork to work as a right side only and the left side has to clear the steering like any Ford of the era. If you can get enough hangers you can put the Waldron's stuff on there for the best fit you can get. Ford used a bunch of hangers just for the single exhaust set up.

Custom exhaust fabrication is getting expensive these days. It used to be pretty reasonable but shop rates are way up there now.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-08-2018 at 06:03 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #13
Big Red 51

V12, I sent you a PM regarding sending you a copy of the Ford dual setup diagram starting in 1953 after Ford developed the setup on a 1953 Conv. to run as a Indy Race Pace car. It is covered in Product Info Sheet, Page A-2-102 and approved for duals starting in 1952 for the V8. The pipes run just inside the frame rails on both sides. They made a left side manifold. I have duals on my '53 Victoria using Fenton headers using existing frame holes. Don
Big Red 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #14
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 51 View Post
V12, I sent you a PM regarding sending you a copy of the Ford dual setup diagram starting in 1953 after Ford developed the setup on a 1953 Conv. to run as a Indy Race Pace car. It is covered in Product Info Sheet, Page A-2-102 and approved for duals starting in 1952 for the V8. The pipes run just inside the frame rails on both sides. They made a left side manifold. I have duals on my '53 Victoria using Fenton headers using existing frame holes. Don

Only problem is V12Bill has a '51 F1 and not a car. Pretty sure it's going to be quite a bit different.
Sometimes it's best to just find a muffler shop that is willing to bend a set to fit your vehicle. They are places out there that won't charge an arm and a leg.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:15 PM   #15
Big Red 51

Whoops , should have looked closer. I never put duals on my F-1. Thanks for correcting me Sal.
Don
Big Red 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #16
jim1932

I would ask waldron's for photos of an installed system. They are a reputable vendor and I can't imagine you were the first to buy this set up.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #17
V12Bill

Waldrons were short on advice and what they advised was impossible.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #18
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Bill View Post
Waldrons were short on advice and what they advised was impossible.
They advertise that they’ve been around for a long time so Im surprised to read this. But, putting dual exhaust on a vehicle that only came with single, is going to take some extra effort for sure. Hopefully someone can post a picture of their’s to help you......... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #19
rotorwrench

They don't seem to advertise the dual exhaust set up on their web site but they can likely fabricate a system to fit anything if they had a model or a blueprint. If they had no pattern for the left side then it likely won't fit like it should (you'll have to make it fit). The left side has the steering & clutch equalizer to consider and possibly other items.

We never tried to dual out any of our old F1 pickups when I was young.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #20
V12Bill

Ironically, the best picture or diagram came from a picture of a model truck. The pipe in front of the muffler has 4 90* bends in it, an inside bend, two outside bends and an inside bend. This conflagration of bends goes under the side rail and is tucked up between the running board and the cross member where it is riveted to the rail. The pictures that Waldron sent me of the pipes laid out on the floor, had this pipe reversed adding confusion to the picture. I showed this to a friend with an F1 with a non stock system and he agreed that the pipe was shown wrong in the picture.

Tomorrow I get out the torch and bend to suit. Thanks for the additional advice.

Bill
Old 08-10-2018, 07:45 PM   #22
V12Bill

That is the exact same system that I have. I see that the pipe before the muffler goes under the cross member as I suspected not through it as Waldron said. I think that you will have to remount your tail pipes if you plan to carry a spare in the stock position. Thanks for the pictures, yours is the first concrete answer that I got.

Bill
Old 08-10-2018, 08:16 PM   #23
hulleywoodworking

I haven't measured it to see if the spare will fit, as I don't have the spare or the mount at this time. I will have to get them before I get it on the road.

One thing to note is that I had to add a crossmember under the cab to hang the system from. I also picked up a couple of brackets that I mounted to the existing rear crossmember for another mounting point.

If you need any other pictures just ask.

John
hulleywoodworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #24
V12Bill

I have a hanger that goes under the cab that is left over from a 1955 F 100 project years ago. This same hanger was used 48 to 52. I am going to make up another for the other side this AM. You need the width of the frame rails to store the spare tie. I bought my spare tire carrier on ebay. They don't come up often, but they do come up for about $100. Thanks for the pictures, I am now on the right trail.