Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
H. L. Chauvin

Default Model A Oil with Zinc or other Additives

Not trying to hear what kind of oil is used by humpteen different Model A owners; or even start a new thread or war on wild "guesses" as to which Model A oil to use.

But, after reading Pills most "serious" January 23 2015, 10:34 a.m. thread below entitled "On Model A Oil", I looked up the "Shell Rotella 5W40 Oil" that I have currently used for the past 600 miles on my clean rebuilt Model A engine.

Shell's Rotella 5W40 advertising literature "again" appeared very encouraging.

This is only intended to "share" what was reported after researching Shell's "Contacts", & calling a Shell Technician Service Representative named Larry, at 1-800-237-8645.

Larry said as far as he knows, Shell did not conduct Shell Rotella 5W40 test on vintage engines with Babbitt bearings; however, they were all informed that the detergent oils with zinc additives or even "other" non-detergent additives were designed for light duty or heavy duty "modern" engines with insert bearings.

They were cautioned that the zinc additives or other modern oil additives "may" have long time "adverse" chemical effects on "soft" metal Babbitt bearings used in vintage engines as late as the 1950's.

He was honest enough to report that he did not have information as to which non-detergent oil with "additives" was recommended for Model A Babbitt bearings.

Always interesting to speak to non-salesman-oriented manufacturer's trained technicians.

H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
SHEC

Angry Re: Model A Oil with Zinc or other Additives

Hi -

Great success with Quaker State DEFY motor oil. 10/30 wt. and the little FORD thrives on it. Available at major discount retailers - specifically noted as ZINC enriched for older/ higher mileage engines.

Love it and so does "Annie" our '30 Deluxe Coupe.

Be well -

SHEC

SORRY -

Upon a reread of your header - I should not have replied as I did. Did not intend to step on the Rotella only discussion.

Regards and apologies -

SHEC
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Model A Oil with Zinc or other Additives

The A because of low valve spring pressure does not really need the zinc additive.

JMO FWIW

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #4
Pete

I use straight canola oil in my model A. That way when I go on a picnic or tailgate party I can drain the hot oil and fry up a big batch of french fries, then pour the oil back in the engine to go home.
Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:49 PM   #5
WestCoast

there is a lot of misunderstanding about detergent oil and babbit, detergent does not hurt or destroy babbit, modern engines use babbit on all there bearings, rods mains, cam and these engine run for over 200,000 miles with minimal wear, in fact all manufactors don't just recommend detergent oil, they specify it
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:03 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Use it don't use it, it is up to you.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:50 PM   #7
edmondclinton
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
This is only intended to "share" what was reported after researching Shell's "Contacts", & calling a Shell Technician Service Representative named Larry, at 1-800-237-8645.

They were cautioned that the zinc additives or other modern oil additives "may" have long time "adverse" chemical effects on "soft" metal Babbitt bearings used in vintage engines as late as the 1950's.
It would have been nice if you could have asked him what is it, specifically, about zinc additives or other modern additives that makes him think that these additives would have an adverse effect. Plus, ask why do they not have an adverse effect on modern bearings which are coated with thin babbitt?

If he couldn't answer then he ought not be making those statements in my opinion.

I suppose I could call him myself but he would probably think Oh no, another Model A character.
edmondclinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #8
H. L. Chauvin

In continuing to try to remain serious with a Model A oil discussion, (LOL); not just on this Forum, but if one looks around, just about every one of the Forums associated with vintage engines, it appears they "all" have the same similar types of comments on "oil"; i. e.:

a. Many are anecdotal; and,

b. Many are just presumptive guesses; and,

c. None were found thus far with names & phone numbers of individual petroleum technicians who provided recommendation information; and,

d. None so far found with their recommendations backed up with laboratory performed tests on vintage engines supported with written documentation.

Found endless internet articles on oil from petroleum manufacturers, SAE, API, etc., etc.; ......... sent emails to a few petroleum manufacturers & awaiting responses to share, (if any) ............ but so far, only found one (1) Petroleum Manufacturer bold enough to recommend their modern detergent oil for classic cars as follows:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CARE FOR YOUR CLASSIC CAR

There are two kinds of cars in the world: those that need Havoline® High Mileage - and those that will.

Whether you're still driving that old ride your cousin fixed up in high school, a recent model with high mileage, or a true, vintage collector’s item, cars get older. It happens. And as your engine ages, seals and gaskets can become worn and leaky. That can be a problem, particularly if your classic is post warranty, which - chances are - it is.

Havoline with Deposit Shield® High Mileage Motor Oil provides extra treatment for seals on contact, protecting and preventing leaks.

Havoline with Deposit Shield High Mileage Motor Oil also includes a burn-off inhibitor that reduces excessive oil consumption. Give it the extra care it deserves. After all, it’s gotten you this far. It could be just the beginning.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe not much help to respond to "Which oil to use", but maybe somebody can find a few more petroleum manufacturer "recommended" modern oils for our classic cars.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 01-24-2015 at 03:27 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:30 PM   #9
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I use straight canola oil in my model A. That way when I go on a picnic or tailgate party I can drain the hot oil and fry up a big batch of french fries, then pour the oil back in the engine to go home.
yes, canola oil also reduces LDL cholesterol thereby reducing the probability of a heart attack or stroke in your engine. Of course, many folks would like it if their engine had a crank that was stroked.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:47 PM   #10
BlueSunoco

I believe it was DA Refinery in Indianapolis that is offering motor oil for antiques with increased ZDDP. Check them out. Rest assured.

OR Valvoline Racing oil or Brad Penn oil.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote