Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
H. L. Chauvin

Default Best Model A Free Time Advice Ever ?????

A few years ago some Model A owners asked on the other Forum:

Because time is so precious, how does one find time to work on one's Model A?

Some may disagree, or may add additional thoughts; however, I always thought the best answer was given by Mr. Tom Wessenburg who responded with something similar to:

"Every day, try to work, at the very least, just a few minutes on your Model A to keep up your interest.

For example, go in the shop & tidy up the shop a little, put parts in their proper places, just anything Model A."

Some times we tend to put the Model A aside such that time just slips by for days, weeks & months; but even a short 30 minutes a day can add up to 15 hours a month.

Not always easy -- but hope it helps others.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 09-19-2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Best Model A Free Time Advice Ever ?????

Adding to that, one needs to make a plan --or a punch list of what they want to accomplish. I have a list of roughly 740 different tasks restoring a Model-A. These lists help you map out where you are going, ...and where you have been. It is easy to get overwhelmed.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
CarlG

I started making such a list a couple of days ago. I actually wrote down 15 separate projects -- most of which I already have the parts sitting on the shelf -- that I want to accomplish over the winter. Thankfully, most of them do not require tearing the car clear apart to accomplish. Then I got to looking at how long I've had these parts. That is the part that makes me wonder about all the good intentions I've had over the last 3 years.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Well, FINALLY, I took my gas gage out, the cheep alujimum tool fit well, dug out the cheep, brown, plastic lens +*^%&#$%
Maybe I'm on my way to drivin' soon, as soon as my NEW G-FORCE racin' shoes arrive. (Cuz my huge boots don't fit in the car!) Bill W.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
H. L. Chauvin

Something else Mr. Wessenberg mentioned around this same time on these same lines was to try not to totally disable one's Model A for a long period -- if at all possible.

For example, schedule minor maintenance & minor repairs a little at a time while trying to keep it drivable between scheduled repairs rather than totally disassembling too many tings at one time & not having it drivable for a long period; hence possibly losing interest.

Just thought his advice to some questions asked a few years ago were worth mentioning again today mainly because all of us have so many other priorities to work into our busy schedules.

Just hope this helps.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
glenn in camino

Don't watch TV.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
SeaSlugs

ALL very good points. As a new guy to the model A hobby and the entire teardown and restoration of any car heres my advice ive learned from you guys and some ive picked up on:

1: Take one piece off at a time. ex. remove the starter and generator and get those restored. then go for distributor - get that done - then carb - get that done and so on. before you know it you have an engine. Keep plugging away at those pesky tasks even if they are mundane.

2: Bag and tag EVERYTHING. even if your not sure if its a screw a bolt a farmer fix whatever - if it came off said part bag it and tag it of what it came off of.

3: DO devote a small amount of time each day or every other day. Like tonight i didnt have a whole lotta time but i painted a few parts and hung them up to dry - 15 min tops. I cleaned them up a few days ago so they would be ready to paint when i accumulated other stuff to paint. I cleaned up some clutter that was accumulating near my frame as i have to move it Saturday - one less step i have to do Saturday.

4: Yes it can very easily get overwhelming hence why its best to focus on one thing at a time and you will slowly see the whole thing coming together. For me i knew i was on the downhill side once i got my frame sandblasted and painted. Im at a stage where ive painted most of the pieces to my "plastic model kit without instructions" and about ready to start assembly from the frame up.

5: set small attainable goals - i have an unheated garage so i hope to have the axles under my frame before winter so i can put it on the roll around car dollies. I also plan to bring the dual high inside in the basement and redo that over the winter.

6: restoring a car takes time, space, and money - pick 2. If you dont have alot of extra dough its going to take time and space to store the car and its associated parts (and parts of parts and swap meet duplicate parts etc). If you got the money and the space to do it you probably dont have time to sit down and restore each piece yourself - hence your going to farm it out to others who do have time and your going to pay for it. If you have time and money but live in an apartment your going to have to pay somebody for shop rental space and buying and storing tools which gets pricey and may not be able to go anytime you want to work on it. If you have all 3 I envy you haha.

7: you will probably invent new swear words and need to take a breather to clear your mind. I don't know how many stuck bolts pins RIVETS (darn things) etc i couldn't remove then go take a break and free them out like they were never there before.

8: most importantly be safe! use jackstands, blocks of GOOD wood (not stuff thats been laying in the yard for 10 years) think about where your face, teeth hands, knuckles, legs are going to go IF the wrench slips, bolt snaps, etc. no reason to get hurt.

9: ASk for help and find a local club - wealth of knowledge from people that have been there done that.

10: im still new ill probably find some more points as i go haha.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
Don't watch TV.
We don't have TV at home (we have A TV, but it's only connected to a DVD and Media player).

We have to make an effort to watch what we want and regularly buy DVDs.

However... I still get nothing done... too many darn interweb forums
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
al's28/33

Don't get the feeling of being overwhelmed and then rush through it just to get it done. GO SLOW & BE PATIENT. If you can't find the right part, it will eventually surface and you'll be happy once it is part of your car.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
QGolden

I squeeze in time here and there during the week, but I set aside Sunday afternoon into the evening. There is a Radio Program on here in NH that I like, and I listen to it and work in the shop during that time. I try to plan out a goal for the work session so whatever part of the project I am working on is completed during the session.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
DUNN1929

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Adding to that, one needs to make a plan --or a punch list of what they want to accomplish. I have a list of roughly 740 different tasks restoring a Model-A. These lists help you map out where you are going, ...and where you have been. It is easy to get overwhelmed.
Brent,
I have seen more than one post now that you have said you have an X-number of tasks for restoring model As. You once noted that the number of tasks is determined by the body stile you are working on. I was wondering if there was any way you share some of those lists with us? Personally I would like to see the list for the 29 Town Sedan.

Dunn1929
DUNN1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNN1929 View Post
Brent,
I have seen more than one post now that you have said you have an X-number of tasks for restoring model As. You once noted that the number of tasks is determined by the body stile you are working on. I was wondering if there was any way you share some of those lists with us? Personally I would like to see the list for the 29 Town Sedan.

Dunn1929
Well, I have shown this to folks who have been to my shop but in all honesty, this is kinda proprietary to post here. Even so, this is not that big of a deal since each restorer needs to generate their own list in the order they want to do each task. The 'key' to this is making a list and then follow it.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
Bill Underwood

I've perused Brent's work path and it quite complete and interesting. In construction we call a scheduling of a project the "critical path". It allows us to keep trades segregated and scheduled so they don't get into others work and materials arrive when they are needed. Planning is critical in any project. If you want to complete a restoration in a time frame, you should plan and schedule.Sit down and think about the sequencing and what comes before what!
Bill Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote