Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
H. L. Chauvin

Default American Flags on Model A Bumpers - Safety?

Hi,

A. Often wonder statistically what effect flying Model A vendor type American flags on Model A bumpers may have as regards to highway safety when Model A's are maybe traveling at say 45-50 mph, i.e., slower than the 55 mph speed limit; or, even slower that 70 mph speed limit on freeways.

B. Could flying flags on Model A front and/or rear bumpers be outlawed in some states?

C. We often hear the term, "It raises a red flag"; however, every time I see a flying rag flag on the highway it is usually attached to lumber sticking out of the rear of a truck; or maybe long pipes, logs, or telephone poles sticking out of the rear end of a truck trailer; or whatever; but for some reason it appears "It raises a red flag" where one tends to be more cautious & careful when one sees these flags flying in the breeze.

D. Every now & then we read or hear of some extremely sad story of a very nice vintage vehicle owner getting rear-ended by maybe a texting driver, a careless driver, a speeding driver, a cell phone using driver, or what ever one can imagine kind of driver, tipsy or sober.

E. Often wonder if American flags flown on Model A bumpers would help just a little to "Raise a red flag" for some of our different 2013 closer following drivers.

F. We could say a dynamite blast in the middle of the highway would not rise the eyebrow of some drivers; but maybe flying flags on a Model A is not a bad idea.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 09-09-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: American Flags on Model A Bumpers - Safety?

I vote for "F".

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
V4F

I only run mine at parades . respect !
Old 09-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

I 'll fly an American Flag any day of the week.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
1931 flamingo

I only put them on when I get to a show or cruise night.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
John Butts in CT

Well... this is sort of related:

Twelve years ago tomorrow I tucked a couple of small American flags on sticks behind the rear seat cushion on my Tudor, so the flags could be seen in the rear window. Can't tell you how may people came up to me in parking lots to tell me how good it made them feel to see "those flags" in "that old car."
John Butts in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
H. L. Chauvin

Not too long ago, did a test drive a few days prior to a scheduled wedding & drove for a short distance on a rural road with (4) bumper flags -- had about (5) young drivers pass me -- rather surprised to see that they tooted their horns & gave thumbs up.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
jkeesey

The only problem I see is I have never seen a Model A with flags on the back. They are always on the front bumper for parades or such. On the back they would act as a sort of caution flag, especially if larger than 6".
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
Bill in Al

I put a four grouping set of flags at the radiator cap and saw them being whipped so hard at 50mph that I only use them at parades,shows or other slow speed occasions.I like the idea of placeing them inside to be seen through the windows.
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
400A-64

I sometimes in a parade run a 3x5 American flag on the front and a 3x5 "76" flag on the rear!! Military guys snap to and salute. It sure makes you proud!
Bruce Davis
400A-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
Napa Skip

A close look at my avatar shows the seven (7) flags mounted in the front of our coupe. There are two more of the same size in back. When this photo was taken, we had a flag-based bunting mounted on the rear-mounted spare tire. Now we have a full-sized flag attached in the rumble seat area using a temporary mounting system which includes a fixture that slips into the rumble seat lid latch.

We use these when our club participates in the Napa County July 4th parade in Calistoga CA and sometimes in other parades/car shows.

Some lessons learned:

1. At anything over parade speed, a full-sized flag requires a very stiff (or at least reinforced) flag pole, principally so that the flag is high enough that it doesn't touch anything when the parade slows to a temporary stop;

2. The first time we used the seven-flags-in-front arrangement, it became readily apparent that - on the open road - the five center flag spread (mounted to the headlight bar) severely restricted visibility;

3. About 45 minutes after discovering #2 above, it became readily apparent that the four remaining flags in front and two in the rear did not withstand the 40-45 mph trip from Napa to Calistoga (about 24 miles) without some unraveling at the seam;

4. During a subsequent test run of the rumble seat-mounted full-sized flag (in preparation for the following year's July 4th parade and after re-hemming the afore-mentioned smaller flags) it was determined that a relatively straight tubular flag pole will bend like a wet noddle just above the rumble seat lid latch securring point at approximately 22 mph. However, a section of rebar inserted inside the re-straightened flag pole suffices nicely.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with an American flag on a Model A but you do need to be careful in how you mount it.
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.

Last edited by Napa Skip; 09-11-2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: typo
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
Dave in MN

I had an American Flag on my passenger side rear bumper for most of our recent 9200 mile road trip. The Flag partially obstructs the right rear turn signal when the car is stationary. Prior to starting the trip I installed the additional (third) LED brake light that acts with the individual tail lights as full on with the brakes and 1/2 of the light when signaling a turn. I also have LED lights in the tail lights. With the extra LED lights I felt it was safe. The waving flag catches peoples attention so I think its presence increased peoples awareness that we were on the road.

I chose the right side, the side away from oncoming traffic for better display to the on sidewalk public and to protect the Flag from road dirt raised by other cars. I also chose a very sturdy flag to stand up to the rigors of the road. A tattered, worn or soiled flag is not what I want to display.

We had numerous people thank us for displaying the Flag while on the trip.

Not once was our car tampered with while on our trip whether inner city or small town. I think the presence of the Flag helped protect the vehicle.

I have and will continue to display the American Flag out of respect and support for the men and woman who are and have served our country. Flying the flag is my way of saying: THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 09-11-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Added Picture
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
Bruce Adams

I leave mine on the front all the time but I keep rubber bands on them rolled up while driving more than a few miles.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #14
Joe/Ct

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Paul in CT
Ditto...

"The older I get, the better I was"
Joe/Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
Clem Clement

I have a 6 flag fan on the front bumper and 2 larger flags on the back. The ones on the back sorta float in the wind. They don't whip. They look swell
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
Hotrodmyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Paul in CT

YUP, same here
Hotrodmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #17
Hioridge

I have a couple of 48 star US Flags that I run on the front bumper of our RHD 1930 Phaeton.
Hioridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #18
Bruce in southern OH

I have a Magnetic Flag on back/rear of Tudor, move to different cars as I drive them. About a foot wide, looks Nice, always get a nice comment about having flag displayed.

Last edited by Bruce in southern OH; 03-11-2014 at 12:50 PM. Reason: correction
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote