Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #1
old28

Default 283 Chevy Pistons For Model A Rods

I was reading an old thread on the Barn that talked about a company (Pete's Automotive, Albuquerque, NM) That sold 283 Chevy pistons that had a pin size that fit stock model A Rods. I have been unable to find them on the Web. Anyone know were to look?

Would like the pistons to be even with the deck or .023" above as is stock. Pistons need to be narrow 3 ring. Straight Flat Top with no valve pockets. I do not want to go the custom rod root.
old28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:08 PM   #2
Logan

Default Re: 283 Chevy Pistons For Model A Rods

John is now having custom pistons made. They are flat top, short skirt pistons that are a hybrid of the model a style piston and 283 with the molly rings. Theyre really really nice. Ive seen a couple sets of them. Petes machine shop's number is (505) 836-3110
Old 10-09-2016, 11:34 PM   #3
old28

Logan ---- Thanks for the information, I will call this week.

tbirdtbird ----- You said that you have done a few motors with his pistons.

Are they true FT pistons with no valve pockets?

When mounted on stock rods do the pistons top out .023" above the deck as stock do or are they even with the deck?
Old 10-10-2016, 01:12 AM   #4
Chuck Sea/Tac

Wouldn't that depend on how many times the block has been decked?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:04 AM   #5
captndan

Educate me. Whats the point of putting Chevy pistons in a Model A?
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
old28

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
tbirdtbird ----- The pistons will be going in a lightly built race motor for a TROG car I am building. I need to go with a true flattop piston that is even with the deck so I can run a Tod built crowfoot head with no flycut for piston in the head. Looking for 8.1 CR. Want to run short skirt 3 ring moly setup. How much can be milled from the pistons top safely that John sells to adjust for decking?
Old 10-11-2016, 07:56 AM   #7
Binger

Looking for a head like this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Head close up.jpg (58.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg Head.jpg (62.2 KB, 99 views)
Binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:58 AM   #8
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by old28 View Post
tbirdtbird ----- The pistons will be going in a lightly built race motor for a TROG car I am building. I need to go with a true flattop piston that is even with the deck so I can run a Tod built crowfoot head with no flycut for piston in the head. Looking for 8.1 CR. Want to run short skirt 3 ring moly setup. How much can be milled from the pistons top safely that John sells to adjust for decking?
Yes I have used 283 pistons also. I have used mine at hill climbs. Pete has good pistons. I have also used true 283 pistons with new insert rods from antigue engine rebuilders.They use stock 283 pistons

You might have to face off the top of the pistons either way.

Last edited by George Miller; 10-11-2016 at 08:20 AM.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:47 AM   #9
Bob Bidonde

The performance reasons I would consider modern pistons are:
> Lighter weight of pistons enabling reduction of crankshaft counterweigts;
> Better sealing piston rings causing less friction & wear on the cylinder walls;
> Significant reduction in scuffing of piston skirts on the cylinder walls;
> Less inertial loading of connecting rods and rod bearings;
> Overall increase in engine power and torque outputs because of reduction in parasitic power consumption.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:04 PM   #10
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Yes, but some people's solution is just to cut the tops of the piston to match and weaken the piston!

Just put a slight fly-cut in the head if really necessary. I would think that is lower risk than cutting the piston tops.

People here do not seem to recall the past photos posted of self destructed pistons from cutting the tops lower and weakening the connection to the skirts.
forever4,
Hey Vince, is there any chance that you can lead me to the post(s)/photos of those threads that involved subject of 'cutting piston tops'.
I've completely missed those threads.

I will add though , having two warmed up Bs with cut top pistons(even with blocks), that the machinist never even mentioned that said pistons would be 'weakened' sufficiently to cause concern. Indeed, I am running an 8:1 Winfield cast iron head (Tod's first cast iron head) with cut piston heads. So far, with some hard running, no problems. So, very interested in getting other points of view on this subject.

BTW...for old28. My opinion, install modern THIN ring(s) pistons. My newly run-in B seemed to seat rings in a matter of half hour of running and runs very strong, indeed ! Short video for proof, but do not know how to get said proof/video posted here. Anyone help to do so and/or wants to see/hear video here welcome to contact me with help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (81.8 KB, 150 views)
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:40 PM   #11
PC/SR

One speed guru says the piston tops can be milled to .200 for good quality material. Measure the inside and outside depths.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #12
Jim Brierley

.125 sounds too thin for me, I like .200 like PC/SR says
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:27 PM   #13
old28

I think the John, NM (283 copy piston) has a top thickness of .230 & I have had a few reply's from guys that have taken .050 off the top and have had no problem with the finished .180" thick top. It would be nice to be able to take a little off the piston top to have a (0) deck on a motor that has been milled a few times.

hardtimes --- Did you use Moly or Iron thin 3 ring set? Were they Zero Gap Rings?

Last edited by old28; 10-13-2016 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:13 AM   #14
PC/SR

Old 28: If you are not measuring the block height from the pan rail to the block top you are not going to get an accurate measurement for the piston tops. Get that measurement then calculate the compression height of the piston for what you need to be level with the block. When you get that measurement, compare it to the compression height from the pin center whether it is a 283 or any other piston.
Then you can start worrying about whether the line bore of the crank is absolutely straight, ie, is #1 crank pin the exact same distance from the block top as #4. Then you can start making decisions about 283 or supplier pistons, both of which may need to be milled depending on heights, or custom pistons to your measurements. Don't forget about Chevy piston centerline offset. Once you get this figured out then start worrying about thin rings. Deal with the fundamentals first.

Last edited by PC/SR; 10-14-2016 at 12:59 AM.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #15
old28

PC/SR ----- All well taken

I am asking a lot of questions about the model A/B game and trying to point my 40+ years of Nostalgia Drag Racing motor building in the right direction so I get this A motor right the first time. I will take in any and all information that will help. I know it is old stuff to you guys that have been doing A & B all your life, but use new guys got to ask questions.

Just for your viewing interest the picture is of our NE-1 Nostalgia dragster on the top end at Bakersfield, CA. Car ran a best of 7.03 @ 197mph with a home built alcohol blowen BBC motor. Lots of fun but way to much cash to run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Juice Bucket II Bakersfield #1.JPG (95.5 KB, 69 views)
Old 10-14-2016, 07:20 PM   #16
tbirdtbird
BANNED

LOL, Tom, wanna go fast?? how much $$ ya got?
Old 10-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #17
zzlegend

Quote:
PC/SR ----- All well taken

I am asking a lot of questions about the model A/B game and trying to point my 40+ years of Nostalgia Drag Racing motor building in the right direction so I get this A motor right the first time. I will take in any and all information that will help. I know it is old stuff to you guys that have been doing A & B all your life, but use new guys got to ask questions.

Just for your viewing interest the picture is of our NE-1 Nostalgia dragster on the top end at Bakersfield, CA. Car ran a best of 7.03 @ 197mph with a home built alcohol blowen BBC motor. Lots of fun but way to much cash to run.
Will I see this at Famoso the weekend after this? Will be meeting up with the Burkholder Brothers Altered on Saturday.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:26 PM   #18
hardtimes

Quote:
I think the John, NM (283 copy piston) has a top thickness of .230 & I have had a few reply's from guys that have taken .050 off the top and have had no problem with the finished .180" thick top. It would be nice to be able to take a little off the piston top to have a (0) deck on a motor that has been milled a few times.

hardtimes --- Did you use Moly or Iron thin 3 ring set? Were they Zero Gap Rings?
heyold28,
I used hastings 4" thin rings. went with their recom an that of machinist for gap specs. btw I used egge machine co pistons . they are close good to deal with. ihave build specs of b, but am not in cond to get to them today. iwill share them also if when you come for visit.

excuse one fnger ..off hand.. groogy type, as just got homethru major lt shidr surgry.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:38 PM   #19
old28

tbirdtbird ----- Well I went as fast and quick as both my wife and me wanted to run. We now have about half as much cash as we started with. But I would not take back any.

zzlegend ----- No I sold this dragster in 2001 to a good friend in Woodland Hills, CA. He runs the dragster in the 7.0 Pro group that runs with the NHRA Haritage series.

hardtimes ---- Hope to be able to come down to your place some time soon to talk motors. Will PM you.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:18 PM   #20
old28

Just wanted to throw this out and see what I get back. I may be able to buy a B motor that has a diamond block, Bored 4.030" with Old's pistons. Motor has been pressure tested OK.

My question is will the "BEST" gasket seal OK with that bore and with 1.75" Intake valves along with a 8.2 high compression head?