Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2024, 08:19 PM   #1
izze

Default 7 tooth retainer clip

I have a lot of slop in my steering. And I just came across a new steering wheel. So I am currently taking apart my 7 tooth box to make sure everything is as good as I can possibly make it, before I swap out my steering wheel.

My question is in regards to the worm gear retainer clip. I was able to easily remove the clip in two separate pieces. And I am unable to locate the replacement part number for this clip. Or any images of what it should look like.

The gear is still on the shaft. It has about 1/8" to 1/4" of movement along the shaft. But does not slide off the shaft. I have not tried to forcefully remove it. And I do not think I need to replace it. (yet)

I have found a lot of odd part substitutions when addressing other issues on my vehicle. And I wonder if this is another one. Can anyone tell me if this is the correct retainer clip? Or where I could locate a replacement part if it is not? Also, is the 1/4" of movement something I should be addressing?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240324_162156.jpg (20.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20240324_162333.jpg (24.5 KB, 39 views)
izze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 10:24 PM   #2
izze

Default Re: 7 tooth retainer clip

I look like I have a broken one of these https://www.kaiserwillys.com/product...b-5-m38-m38a1/

Is there a generic part number people use for this item?
Old 03-25-2024, 05:13 AM   #3
Marshall V. Daut

You might try matching the broken ring at a hardware store to see if they have a snap ring close to that size. As long as there is some kind of retainer on the bottom of the steering shaft in that groove for the worm gear to butt up against, the gear will not slide down. It's a tight fit anyway between the gear and the shaft. The pressure exerted by the worm gear being pressed against the ring will keep both in place. You might end up putting two thin modern snap rings in place to match the thicker original one. Depending upon the type of modern snap ring you find, the "ears" with the holes for the snap ring plier jaws may need to be ground off so that the outside of the ring is round all the way around and will fit inside the worm gear's groove.
I am surprised that given the number of parts available from vendors to rebuild the Model A seven-tooth steering box, this little guy isn't also offered. It's almost a "must" when rebuilding this steering design because it's difficult to remove the original ring without breaking it.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 06:40 AM   #4
nkaminar

McMaster Carr has a wide assortment of snap rings. Measure what you need and then go to their site. They ship quickly.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 01:29 PM   #5
izze

I measured and ordered from McMaster. Looks like the order might arrive next day. I will return here and provide the details if the rings fit. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:03 PM   #6
Marshall V. Daut

Great! Please do provide the part number if it fits. We can all benefit from your successful repair and report.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 04:31 PM   #7
Gene F

If you replace your worm gear, the rule of thumb is that you replace your sector (gear) too. Although lately I have been hearing stories that even though you order from the same vendor they may not be the same MFG. That gear can be a challenge to get off that shaft without damaging the shaft. A good helper can be a real plus.

I will add this. 7-tooth (I have one in my 28) always upgrade to that little anti-leak tube. For the few dollars they cost they are worth it.

The sector bushings are special bushings with oil groves out only 1 side. Don't use water pump bushings, even if your supplier sends them to you as sector bushings. Check, send them back. The blind side of the bushing goes outboard. When you put your box back together you use about 1/4 to 1/2 of a shot of grease on that shaft, and that's it. The rest of the box gets the 600W lube.

Make sure your horn tube goes back in, before your steering column gets fastened up to the mounting. Failure to do it this way kinks the horn tube, and when you turn the wheel your headlights will go on, or off.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 08:28 PM   #8
izze

I measured 17mm ID. But found only 18mm or 16mm ID. I ordered both. 16mm was too small. 18mm looks good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240326_181534.jpg (49.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240326_182522_Gmail.jpg (9.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20240326_181549.jpg (40.3 KB, 15 views)
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #9
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by izze View Post
My question is in regards to the worm gear retainer clip. I was able to easily remove the clip in two separate pieces. And I am unable to locate the replacement part number for this clip. Or any images of what it should look like.
That looks like the retainers used on Model Ts to hold the rear axle gears onto the shaft. May be Ford part # T-2519-A ?