Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2019, 10:14 PM   #21
paul2748

Default Re: 1956 Fairlane Club Sedan needs...questions.

In 54, the wipers did not go on automatically when the pedal was depressed. The 56 Birds are the same. The 57 Birds had the automatic feature, so that feature may have started in 57. The sedan may have been different. I don't know whether it was standard or an option on the 57 Birds.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #22
Rusty_S85

Hate to say it but it looks like '55/'56 Ford cars had a automatic feature.

Part # B5A-17664-C : 55/56 All Fords Windshield Washer Control assembly pump (use with coordinator)

I would post a picture of the illustration guide showing the hook up but it requires a url and I don't host on line anymore not since the photobucket fiasco.

Part # B5A-17601-B : 55/56 All Fords Windshield Washer Vacuum Actuator Assembly (use when washer is installed)
Rusty_S85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:10 PM   #23
delco1946

Thanks, I’m definitly going to investigate this!
delco1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:38 AM   #24
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1956 Fairlane Club Sedan needs...questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_S85 View Post

Part # B5A-17664-C : 55/56 All Fords Windshield Washer Control assembly pump (use with coordinator)

I would post a picture of the illustration guide showing the hook up but it requires a url and I don't host on line anymore not since the photobucket fiasco.

Part # B5A-17601-B : 55/56 All Fords Windshield Washer Vacuum Actuator Assembly (use when washer is installed)
Here are two ILL that may help-

Rusty-

What I have been doing is printing the page I want to show and then scan it to my computer. Then you can upload it here and it will show (MANAGE ATTACHMENTS).

I am sure there is a quicker method but I am basically computer illiterate.

The feature will also be described in the SHOP MANUAL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 Ford (Rev)-15 -Options.jpg (104.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 1956 Ford (Rev)-15A -Options.jpg (53.1 KB, 24 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:51 PM   #25
Rusty_S85

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Here are two ILL that may help-

Rusty-

What I have been doing is printing the page I want to show and then scan it to my computer. Then you can upload it here and it will show (MANAGE ATTACHMENTS).

I am sure there is a quicker method but I am basically computer illiterate.

The feature will also be described in the SHOP MANUAL.
I have jpeg copies of the pages I just don't have a way of embeding the photo unless I use another forum as a hosting source.

Went ahead and hosted them on the other forum I am on to post it here.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:27 PM   #26
[email protected]

Anyone have a power steering control valve for a 56 Fairlane? I understand 54-56 will fit. Thank you, Jim.
jhljr44@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:52 PM   #27
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Anyone have a power steering control valve for a 56 Fairlane? I understand 54-56 will fit. Thank you, Jim.

Mac's (Ecklers) and Obsolete Ford Parts in Oklahoma offer the '54-56 PS control valve. I think Concours parts in Nevada also offers it rebuild/exchange. Very pricey though.

But to answer your question, yes I have a rebuilt control valve, rebuilt pump/reservoir/pulley and both mounting brackets and ram cylinder, the tie-rods, idler arm, hoses and everything else for a complete bolt-on kit all in a big box. I was gonna use it when I built my '55 Courier, but I used a 223 I-block six, so the add-on crankshaft damper caused me to add a spacer for the fan blade. Then there wasn't enough room for the radiator. So I left it standard steering. I won't let anything go out of that box unless somebody wants to buy the whole thing.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:15 PM   #28
Rusty_S85

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Reman here for $190.
https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...d-mercury.html

Also the power steering Control Valve Assembly, its listed as fitting 1953 - 1956 with a part number of B5AZ-3A730-A.

If you feel compelled you might be able to seek out a NOS unit if you don't mind waiting. None currently on Ebay I already looked.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:32 PM   #29
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_S85 View Post

If you have a '55 or '56 Ford car with the "See-Clear" windshield washer, the factory installed the same foot-pump on all those cars. That foot-pump has a double-feature, never seen one that did not have the double-feature.
1) the foot-pump pushes a rubber bellows which forces washer fluid from the bag into the hose that runs to the little dispenser on the hood, which squirts washer fluid onto the windshield.
2) The foot-pump also actives a spring-loaded piston inside a little housing with two vacuum hose connections. The piston is normally sealed shut against a rubber o-ring inside the housing which does not allow vacuum to flow thru the housing. But when the foot pump is depressed, that piston opens, vacuum flows thru and runs to that little add-on diaphragm mounted atop the windshield wiper motor. That diaphragm holds the vacuum open long enough for the wipers to swipe back & forth about three times, then it shuts, shutting off the flow of vacuum and the wipers return to their normal position.
Not all the Ford cars had that added vacuum diaphragm mounted on the wiper motors, but the Mercury cars all did have them.
Nevertheless, if the factory installed a wiper motor without the diaphragm and with the windshield washer, you still got one free swipe of the wiper blades by pressing the foot-pump and releasing. Upon releasing the foot-pump, the piston itself cuts off the vacuum to the wiper motor. If you depressed the foot pedal and held it down, vacuum would operate the wipers until you released your foot from the pump pedal.
I have seen a couple of wiper motors that came out of Customlines that did not have the diaphragm attached to the motor. I had a '55 Victoria 2-door hardtop that DID have the diaphragm attached to the motor. It has always made me wonder if they only installed the diaphragm on the Fairlane models and not on the cheaper models. But like I say, the dual system works with or without the diaphragm.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:09 PM   #30
markoxpollo

Great info I was looking for!
markoxpollo is offline   Reply With Quote