Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2022, 02:58 PM   #1
rembrandt78737

Default 1929 Fordor fan blade clearance

Was having overheating issues with my 1929 Fordor, so I bought a new leakless water pump and a heavy-duty radiator (among other fixes). Now that I've started the installation of the new radiator I noticed the fan blades are barely clearing the upper hose (approx. 1/8"). I'm using the stock 1/8" pad for the radiator. The issue appears to be the upper neck shape on the new radiator.

The old radiator showed evidence that the previous owner forcibly reshaped the neck to offer more clearance. Before I attempt some kind of fix I need to know how much clearance I SHOULD have from the top of the fan blade to the upper radiator hose? None of my Les Andrews maintenance handbooks address the issue.
rembrandt78737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 05:24 PM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: 1929 Fordor fan blade clearance

Is the front of your engine sitting too high?
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 06:17 PM   #3
Big hammer

My 31 with a Berg’s radiator and aluminum 2 blade fan has 2 fingers clearance. The water outlet and the neck on the radiator are inline. There was a change in outlets from a shorter to longer outlets, what fan blade are you using?
Old 01-09-2022, 06:46 PM   #4
jm29henry

Do you have any pictures of your car that you can post
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 06:49 PM   #5
jm29henry

My old four door
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 857E6CE8-1969-47DA-9B7F-EB3ED7ABD229.jpeg (38.1 KB, 27 views)
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:50 PM   #6
w.michael

On my 60B, the clearance between the fan and upper hose is very tight. I have a Brassworks radiator, the correct upper outlet for 1929, and a reproduction aluminum two blade fan. The front pulley lines up with the crank guide. In short, I think everything is as it should be, but there just is not much clearance.

Jm29henry, I contacted you about your 60B, but I was too late—you had already sold it. I did locate and buy a very good 60B, but it is not as nice as your old one.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:36 AM   #7
larrys40

Having serviced hundreds …. Here’s my take. The 28/29’s by nature are much closer than the 30/31’s. So, the folks who are use to looking at 30/31’s please know this. It’s a different animal here. Next proceed ….
Causes and affects…. Engine Mount incorrect or springs to high.
Ensure it’s an original yoke style Mount using original style springs. NOT champ (beehive) style replacement spring as they can cause the engine to sit too high. Some reproduction springs )yes even those from or normal suppliers) can have the springs too stiff and too tall that cause the engine to sit too high.
Ensure your crank fits in straight to the crank nut. If it doesn’t or is angled it is too high. Check your springs, if it’s anejice type change out for original style springs. Sometimes city have to use a cutoff wheel and remove a coil or so on each upper spring. It’s a test fit type thing. Some of the repro springs are too stiff and tall. Remember the lower washer,spring and nut need to be tensioned which can have an effect on it as well. Sometimes a coil adjustment is warranted there as well. Che k service bulletins for correct installation and spring clearance . When all is proper your crank should fit in the crank nut straight and torquing the hand crank handle up and down should give a little spring upward and down .
There are times the lower Mount nut needs to have a little more tension on 28/29’s to pull it down a little more snuggly for clearance and so it the engine doesn’t move upward as easily.

Next the repro radiators are not all created equal. The tanks and necks don’t always have the correct angle more location. You should have a short 28/29 style water neck in the head and it should align to the radiator neck .
Noting you said you have a new radiator could be some of the problem .
Also one pad which is normal under your radiator should be fine and is part of your hood alignment.
Hopefully you have a repro aluminum 2 blade fan on it. If it is an original steel fan replace it with the aluminum. If it’s a 4 blade replace it as well. If the above has corrected it or given more clearance great . If it still needs more the next steps are to carefully examine the radiator and it’s issue and or attempt to alleviate and give more clearance by slightly bobbing the new aluminum fan blades slightly . Yes it can be done but you must take off the same on each blade and keep the contour slightly curved .

You can take a quarter inch off on each end and it will help greatly on th clearance . Again do it well and wisely. The fan will be fine. Paint edges once done.

Recheck all the clearances and ensure the lower Mount spring still has minimal spring coil clearance and things align.
You may need to evaluate your radiator … original funnel styles should have proper angle but know they are tight as well.

Keep us posted . If you can post a photos From the side front of hood please do so, but make sure your engine mounts are in order.

All the best !
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote