Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #1
mumbles89

Default 1935 five window

Im restoring my dads 1935 five window coupe. its been sitting for about 30 years, and we were thinking about detaching the body from the frame to reinforce and powder coat the frame and weve taken out all the bolts that we can find but the back end still wont budge. Are there any bolts that run through the gas tank that connect the body to the frame? is it a good idea to detach it, or would it be best to leave it as is and just reinforce it?
mumbles89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 1935 five window

I assume you have the running boards and fenders off. Are you sure all of the side bolts are out? Not sure why you would need to "reinforce the frame" unless you are considering a large HP engine and/or racing it. The stock frame is plenty stout enough for normal use. If it is damaged it would require repair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36FrameJPEG.jpg (45.6 KB, 34 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #3
mumbles89

yeah i have all the fenders and running boards off and took all the side bolts off and the bolts that were in the passenger compartment. we were wanting to reinforce it just in case cause where it was sitting got irrigation. im just goting to restore it to be driven but the motor is a sbc 350 that my dad put in in the 70's cause the original motor was no good. so it will have more power behind it. we cant really tell if there is damage yet we were want ing to disconnect the body from the frame and sand blast it to see if there is any damage to it.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:48 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Did you remove the bolts in the trunk area?
Old 07-06-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
mumbles89

the ones that run down the middle that have the screw heads? we got those and the the four on the back at the corners
Old 07-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

This is not a 35 frame, it's a 37, but should give you an idea of the typical bolt locations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1ifvnr.jpg (60.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 07-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #7
mumbles89

ok. thanks i appriciate it =)
Old 07-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #8
mumbles89

do you think it would be a good idea to detatach the cab or just leave it attached?
Old 07-06-2015, 07:26 PM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

There are some long bolts all the way back, that go from the trunk/tailpan area down through the very rear cross member of the frame (not talking about the cross member that the rear spring bolts to). They are usually difficult to see and missed by those who have never had the experience of removing one of these bodies. It has been awhile since I removed a '35 body from frame, so I can't remember exactly how many bolts are back there, but it seems like there were three or four. Even when all the bolts that hold the body to the frame are out, the body may resist coming off where the webbing is stuck to the top of frame and the underside of the floor pan. Go slow and don't force anything. It has always been an exciting moment for me when that body finally separates from the frame

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 07-06-2015 at 07:37 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have always removed mine to work on the frame. I have never owned or worked on a 35. I have remove the bodies from several 33 and 34s and several 38s. The 38 should be fairly similar to the 35. If you are fairly sure you have all the bolts out, start separating the body from the frame using some wooden wedges and blocks. Go slow and check every once and a while to be sure nothing is hanging up.

I do have a 35 coupe that came out of a salvage yard, but for the most part it is pieces!!!
Old 07-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles89 View Post
do you think it would be a good idea to detatach the cab or just leave it attached?
If you have gone as far as I think you have, you might a well get that body off, and get that frame cleaned up, repaired if necessary, and painted or powder coated.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 07-06-2015, 07:38 PM   #12
mumbles89

john those bolts that you were talking about i got those i think. those are the ones that bolt to a bracket thats welded to the back of the frame right? i was curious i saw some long ones that look like they go through the edge of the gas tank and bolt to the frame piece that the screws in the trunk screwwed to could that be holding it up?
Old 07-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #13
mumbles89

ok i just wanted to double check, because i was reading another forum post for a 38 i think and they were saying not to remove it because its a pain to reattach.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #14
mumbles89

[If you have gone as far as I think you have, you might a well get that body off, and get that frame cleaned up, repaired if necessary, and painted or powder coated. ]

thats what we were figuring cause i had to buy the car back and the guy that had it had already gutted the car and it was already in pieces.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:55 PM   #15
JM 35 Sedan

Although I have two '35 bodies off their frames here in my garage now, it has been many years ago that I took these bodies off. It seems to me there could be two other bolts that were hidden in the trunk area that I had a difficult time locating. I would have to go out and examine the bodies and frames to see if I can determine where they are/were. I will go out now and see if I can figure this out. Stay tuned ......

Old 07-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #16
mumbles89

Haha ok. Thanks John I appriciate it =)
Old 07-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #17
JM 35 Sedan

Okay, here's what I found. There are six rather elusive bolts in the back area of the body that must come out. In the furthest rear crossmember there are two in about the center of that crossmember that go up in the tail pan area. These two are about 6" to 8" apart where they bolt to that crossmember. Then there are two more in the far back that each come down from the trunk area through the brackets at the back corners of the frame that the rear bumper arm brackets bolt to. Those are probably the two most elusive bolts that I can remember. Then there are two more carriage head bolts on either side of a U shaped floor support bracket that is located just forward of the front of where the gas tank mounts, near where the front corners of the gas tank would have been. These are the long bolts that I remembered that go through holes in wooden blocks that are at either end of of that U shaped floor support bracket. This is a tudor sedan that I am looking at, so I am hoping the 5w coupe is the same in this area. Clear as mud?? I hope you can understand all of this. If not, I guess I could take some pictures of these areas and bolt holes tomorrow evening when I get home, but see if you can find these first on your own.

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 07-06-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:19 PM   #18
mumbles89

Thanks John! =D i think i got where you are talking about you mentioned an area i havent looked so im going to take a look there when i get my day off on wed and can look at it
Old 07-07-2015, 12:37 AM   #19
Randy in ca

Here's a couple of pictures related to what John stated above. The bolts just behind the rear frame crossmember go thru a wood block and also a reinforcing bung attached to the frame. I don't recall for sure, but don't think these were threaded as I've indicated on the photo. The bolts located in the rear corners (near the bumper attaching brackets) thread into caged nuts attached to the floor pan and can be "fun" to get out. Good luck!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935 Ford 3W coupe - rear body mount wood.jpg (91.0 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 1935 Ford 3W coupe - Rear Inner Structure.jpg (57.9 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by Randy in ca; 07-07-2015 at 12:46 AM.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #20
mumbles89

Thanks alot guys! You guys are awsome. i was able to find the last two elusive bolts hidden in the trunk area, and the body slipped right off =D
Old 07-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #21
corvette8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles89 View Post
yeah i have all the fenders and running boards off and took all the side bolts off and the bolts that were in the passenger compartment. we were wanting to reinforce it just in case cause where it was sitting got irrigation. im just goting to restore it to be driven but the motor is a sbc 350 that my dad put in in the 70's cause the original motor was no good. so it will have more power behind it. we cant really tell if there is damage yet we were want ing to disconnect the body from the frame and sand blast it to see if there is any damage to it.
Dump that sbc and put a flatty in it either a 59ab or an 8ba I guarantee you'll be smiling ear to ear.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #22
jkflathead

I am taking the bolts out my '35 three window. I found the back bolts. How do you get them out? Can't really get at them to use any penetrating oil. Mine just spin. I am thinking about cutting them off. Advise? Thanks.
jkflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #23
Randy in ca

If you mean the two bolts threaded into caged nuts, shown in the second picture of post #19, as I indicated there they can be "fun". If they're spinning the nut cages have been broken. With a trunk lid you should be able to get in there with vice grips, etc., but if a rumble lid it likely will have to come off for access. Cutting the bolts off could be you're only option after which re-assembly is the next problem. Good luck.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote