Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #21
hook00pad

Default Re: A cure for vapor lock

Has anyone ever used an electric fuel pump on a Ford 600 or 800 series tractor to avoid or alleviate vapor lock? My 801 is bad about vapor locking in hot weather while mowing brushy fields here in Kentucky. The only cure is to allow the engine to cool (sometimes aided by a garden hose, Ha ha) adding fresh fuel, (cool of course) and restarting. It seems to run leaner and leaner as it gets hot, also further causing more vapor-lock. I wonder if a larger main jet would help that at all, giving a richer mixture.
hook00pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook00pad View Post
Has anyone ever used an electric fuel pump on a Ford 600 or 800 series tractor to avoid or alleviate vapor lock? My 801 is bad about vapor locking in hot weather while mowing brushy fields here in Kentucky. The only cure is to allow the engine to cool (sometimes aided by a garden hose, Ha ha) adding fresh fuel, (cool of course) and restarting. It seems to run leaner and leaner as it gets hot, also further causing more vapor-lock. I wonder if a larger main jet would help that at all, giving a richer mixture.
I would wrap the fuel line with an insulating material and install a heat sheild around the carb if you can. When I was stuck with the crap gas I slipped a white plastic split tubing over my fuel line and that helped some.
Only using gas without corn crap cured the vapor lock problem entirely.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-04-2014, 12:18 AM   #23
norcalal

I always put ATF in the gas. Keeps it from vapor locking, and a fantastic fuel stabilizer and lubricant. I have kept running when others were trying to cool off their carburetors.
norcalal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:18 AM   #24
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook00pad View Post
Some say a fuel pump will make it worse.