Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2020, 11:30 AM   #1
Charles Brock

Default '32 Ignition Lock Cylinder Removal

I am restoring a '32 Column Drop and having trouble trying to remove the Ignition Lock Cylinder from the Column Drop. The pin has been drilled out and has been soaking in PB Blaster for a couple of days. The key is in, but unable to turn cylinder and pull out.
Any help on how to get Cylinder out ???
Thanks for all your help.
Charles Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: '32 Ignition Lock Cylinder Removal

You may have drilled too far (or not far enough) and left a burr hanging up in the retaining pin hole. You will likely have to apply some force to the back of the lock cylinder with a hardwood dowel to push the lock cylinder out. Don't use a steel punch as you can ruin the lock cylinder by doing so. It is one of those lessons learned the hard way.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:47 PM   #3
Charles Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
You may have drilled too far (or not far enough) and left a burr hanging up in the retaining pin hole. You will likely have to apply some force to the back of the lock cylinder with a hardwood dowel to push the lock cylinder out. Don't use a steel punch as you can ruin the lock cylinder by doing so. It is one of those lessons learned the hard way.
David, in the past, I have always been able to remove the Lock Cylinder and then remove the Steering Lock Barrel. Can the Steering Lock Barrel be removed with the Lock Cylinder in place? Thanks
Old 05-08-2020, 02:06 PM   #4
DavidG

If by steering lock barrel you mean the slotted cylindrical piece attached to the steering shaft with two set screws then yes, it can be removed separately, but only if the on/off lever is in the off position. Otherwise the vertical lock shaft is in the down position and engaged in the rectangular opening in the "lock barrel". If that's the case then you either have to free up the keyed lock cylinder so you can turn it to lift the vertical lock shaft or remove the keyed lock cylinder to achieve that result.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:03 PM   #5
Charles Brock

[QUOTE=DavidG;1885089]If by steering lock barrel you mean the slotted cylindrical piece attached to the steering shaft with two set screws then yes, it can be removed separately, but only if the on/off lever is in the off position. Otherwise the vertical lock shaft is in the down position and engaged in the rectangular opening in the "lock barrel". If that's the case then you either have to free up the keyed lock cylinder so you can turn it to lift the vertical lock shaft or remove the keyed lock cylinder to achieve that result.[/QUOTE

David, No I'm referring to the Steering Lock Barrel that is inside the Column Drop that the Drive Pin and the Ignition Switch Lever are attached to.
I am under the impression that this can NOT be removed with the Lock Cylinder in place.
How do you get a drift to the back of the Lock Cylinder?
Thank you for all your help.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:21 PM   #6
DavidG

Is your 'column drop' removed from the steering column tube? If so, you need to pull the pin that actuates the ignition switch brush. The inner end of that pin is serrated and it is tight fit. What I do to remove it is to clamp on the pin with a small pair of vice grip pliers and progressively pry around the ends of the jaws of the pliers to exert a gradual outward pull. Once that pin is removed you should be able slide the plunger downward through the hole in the off/on lever and clear of the lock cylinder which then gives an opening to get at the back of the keyed lock cylinder to force it out with a small hardwood dowel.

Be careful not to lose the little flat spring that fits in a vertical recess in the bore of the off/on lever. Should you lose it or if it is broken (not uncommon), Michael Driskell (Third Gen Automotive)has a replacement for that spring.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:23 PM   #7
deuce lover

I have freed up the stubborn ones out with a small drift at an angle thru the hole where the pin goes after drilling the pin out carefully.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:16 PM   #8
34fordy

I have found that the lock cylinder will usually go into the drop a small amount further.
I have taken a socket that fits the outer part of the cylinder flat face, put a fiber washer under the socket and tap the cylinder maybe .010. inward. Then I hold the drop in my hand and smack the drop against a soft piece of wood. After a few raps the cylinder will go back to or farther than the original position. Sometimes I have been able to use a small drift in the brass pin hole that has been drilled out to gently pry the cylinder forth and back to start the loosening process. With patience and penetrate, numerous taps back in and smacks against the soft wood the cylinder will come out. I also use this method to remove a broken key that is in the off position. Patience and persistence are sometimes the best tools.

Last edited by 34fordy; 05-08-2020 at 04:55 PM. Reason: addition
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:35 PM   #9
Charles Brock

Will try the Patience and Persistence Method !!!
Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:37 AM   #10
32phil

I would be very careful in removing the shaft with the lock cylinder in place. The cylinder protrudes into the relief cut into the shaft and moves it up and down.
I have several shafts that have been damaged beyond repair from driving it out with the cylinder still in place.
I always remove the cylinder first.
As 34fordy described by soaking it and then tapping hopefully it will begin to move. I use piece of oak cut to the profile of the face on the cylinder. Working it back and forth over time usually works. Try turning the cylinder with a key may help turn it in place.
All these parts are almost 80 years old and very delicate. I never use a metal drift as they will usually damage or leave a mark on anything they are placed against. Over the years I have received quite a few damaged column drops and cylinders that are unrepairable usually because of improper over zealous removal methods.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #11
DavidG

Phil is correct; please ignore my #6 posting.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:23 PM   #12
Charles Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32phil View Post
I would be very careful in removing the shaft with the lock cylinder in place. The cylinder protrudes into the relief cut into the shaft and moves it up and down.
I have several shafts that have been damaged beyond repair from driving it out with the cylinder still in place.
I always remove the cylinder first.
As 34fordy described by soaking it and then tapping hopefully it will begin to move. I use piece of oak cut to the profile of the face on the cylinder. Working it back and forth over time usually works. Try turning the cylinder with a key may help turn it in place.
All these parts are almost 80 years old and very delicate. I never use a metal drift as they will usually damage or leave a mark on anything they are placed against. Over the years I have received quite a few damaged column drops and cylinders that are unrepairable usually because of improper over zealous removal methods.
Phil, Thanks so much for your help. I have restored several of these column drops and have always removed the lock cylinder first in order to remove the shaft. I will try tapping. This cylinder is really frozen!