Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
Rowdy
BANNED

Default 53 Customline Value

I realize with all that is missing that it is at best a parts car. Besides the obvious things missing on the outside it is missing most of the dash and the sreering column. I think all of the seat sprimgs are there, but all piled into the back seat area.But I likely am going to have to try and sell this in a couple of weeks when I get it home. I am more into Model A's than 50's cars so I thought I would ask the old question. Whats it worth? Thanks Rod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-10-23 12.42.14.jpg (103.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-23 12.42.31.jpg (109.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-23 12.42.43.jpg (126.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-23 12.43.11.jpg (99.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-23 12.43.16.jpg (117.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
54HotRod

Send a message via Yahoo to 54HotRod
Default Re: 53 Customline Value

I suppose it really is dependent on how much is rusted out when it comes to the floors, fenders, and quarters. I don't think there is more than $800 in value from what is there. Really its just an opinion but there really doesn't look like much to work with.
54HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
Rowdy
BANNED

Thanks, $800 is abit more than I expected. I am trying to finish things up helping my Great Aunt clean things up. My Great Uncle passed away in late September. So far I have spent 6 days up there helping her. Maily loading junk cars and iron to haul in for scrap. This car and an incomplete Model A coupe body are my pay for helping although I would have done it without pay. So far no one seems to be able to find the title for this car and no one seems to know if it was in his name or his brothers name. Likely it will have to be sold without a title. The main floor looks solid from waht I can see, but the trunk is likely to have rust out issues judging by the amount of coon poop in it. Rod
Old 11-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
teejay99

Really , given the condition of what's left it's a couple of hundred at best . I think if you saw it , as a buyer , you wouldn't pay any more than that .

T
teejay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
raceron1120

It appears that much of the good parts are already gone from it save maybe the hood hinges and some of the sheet metal. If someone had the free (as in - no co$t for labor) time to dismantle it, the parts might be worth more than the car itself. But as is I'd guess it's not worth much more than scrap value, IMO
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Rowdy
BANNED

Likely I will be parting it out, but will give it one chance on e-bay first to hit a number that atleast covers my gas and time for the 6 trips( 160 miles each time). From what I can see there isn't much rust out on the exterior panels. Beyont that there isn't much. Rod
Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
ford3

its worth 3 times as parts as together, you have doors, fenders, springs deck lid, quarter pannels and a roof, which are all worth a lot of money to a person who needs them, i believe the doors are worth $250 apiece
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
Rowdy
BANNED

Thanks for the info. I have not been selling or even looking at e-bay recently to know what parts were worth what. I have sold some NOS parts of the same era on e-bay and was not impressed with what they brought if they even sold at all. Still have some NOS and NORS left. Maybe I will wait til after the first of the year to part it out. Rod
Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
Retro Jim

If you have a good clean title that will really help to sell the car and will bring at least $200 extra .
From what I can see , I am thinking maybe $500 to $650 depending on how bad the interior is , what all is rusted out that will need repaired or replaced .
All the trim is there which is always a plus !
If I was looking at buying it , I would be basically looking at it for a parts car . I would clean and paint all the parts I can resell , cut the roof off to reuse and the windshield front & rear if they are good . Then the rest goes .
I really love the body style of the 53 Ford as that was the first Ford I looked at to buy when I wanted to buy an older Ford 8 years ago . Really wish I did as it was a driver with 3 on the tree and a flathead 6 under the hood . Was a decent car for the $1700 price the guy wanted for the car .
All I can say is clean the weeds away for a buyer to look at better and put an asking price of $795 on it and go from there .
Just never know what someone will want !

Jim
Retro Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
Retro Jim

As for a title , get the VIN numbers and find out who was the last owner in the family . Then you can get a dup / title if it was last registered to one of your family .
That is what I would do and then go from there .
Also depending on your state vehicle laws , some state can sell the older cars with just a bill of sale . Check the state laws on that on your computer . If a bill of sale , that will make things a lot easier !

As for evilbay , don't go by them for what something might sell for . The best time to sell is in the early spring but not now !
I sell Ford parts at the huge Ford Carsile show here in Pa every year .
You will do better parting the car out and scraping the pest IF you have the time to take all the parts you can off the car , clean them , prime them and then do some swap meets and sell them . C/L is always a good way to sell parts . Hemmings is a good place too to sell good usable parts .
Ecven the rear is worth something when someone needs one to restore their 53 to original condition !
Doors if all there and not rusted at the bottom may get $175 to $225 . Higher price if the window glass is good and all the guts are with the door .
All the trim is there and is good to sell .
Fenders even is rusted at the bottom will get $100 to $150 . Remember if someone needs one that has a missing fender or one that is dented to badly , they will be happy to get one for $100+ .
Trunk lids $150 to $175 .
Just remember any part that you can remove from the car and clean up ,and prime is worth removing because someone need that part !
All the interior trim is always good to sell .
The brake and clutch swing peddles are good to sell and if you have the "Z" bar is worth a good bit too if you have one .
Looks like the grill is all there and if in OK shape can bring $300 for a good driver . Same with driver bumpers . At least $100 to $150 each .
What I am trying to say is take all the parts , clean them , prime with cheap primer to look nice and sell them . Your labor is cheap when cleaning the parts to resell !
I guess it really depends on how much time you have to clean the parts to resell .

Just a thought .
Jim
Old 11-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #11
Rowdy
BANNED

Figuring out the title may not be as easy as just running it through the state DMV. It may actually have a Missouri title as one brother moved back to Nebraska in 1972. I believe it was the car they owned when they made the move. The engine threw a rod shortly after the move. No one still living knows if the title was ever changed over to a Nebraska title. If it turns out to be a Mo. Title then an inspection will be needed also which means I will have to reload it on the trailer and take the 35 mile drive to our courthouse for inspection. Afew other variables with this car as far as who's name the title is in. Time will tell when I get it home and run the VIN. Planning on going to get it Saturday. Rod
Old 11-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
Rowdy
BANNED

As posted above not a lot left of the interior. There will be no prarie grass around it when advertized, it will be up on blocks hopefully about the same height as the trailer that likely hauls it off. Rod
Old 11-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
Retro Jim

Once you get the53 home and clean the crap out of it , then you can get a better look at the car . I would put it on good jack stands so you can get under the car to look everything over really well . Then you have a better idea on the best way to get the most money from the car .
I still think parting the car out and scraping the rest will bring you the most return . Problem is , it also will take the most time to do that too . Still if you don't have to get rid of the car really quick , then I would part it out . Before you take the remains to the scrap yard , make sure you cut the roof off at the lowest points on the pillars . That top can be reused for someone with a crushed in roof or a really bad chop ! It also has a lot of really good 18ga sheetmetal that can be reused for future projects that need patch panels , floors , trunks and so on .
Just a thought .

Jim