Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2021, 10:13 PM   #1
Youngfordlover2007

Default How obsolete was the model t in the late 20s

I have heard from many people that 1924-1927 Model t were surpassed by other carmakers and henry ford did not even change the cars design or motor at all

Is this true and if it is why was henry ford so stubborn to change the model t
Youngfordlover2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:16 AM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: How obsolete was the model t in the late 20s

They lowered it and added colors! It was Henry's baby.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:45 AM   #3
Will N

The T made Henry a billionaire, and perhaps the most famous person in the USA. He was an obstinate narrow minded cuss and it was his way or the highway. There's a story that while Henry was away on the Peace Ship mission (I believe), that Edsel had a restyled body built on the T chassis. When Henry saw it he literally tore it apart with Edsel and the designers watching in order to remind everyone who the boss was. Another story about how Henry demeaned Edsel in order to remind him where he stood was that Edsel wanted to expand the accounting department, and broke ground for the building's expansion. Henry had no use for accountants, and put the kibosh on Edsel's plans, but left the excavated pit in place as an open wound to remind Edsel every day of his failed plan. He was a real A-hole.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:54 AM   #4
JoeBauer

My guess is that a big part of it was that roads were wagon trails when the T was first introduced so slow speeds and inferior brakes really did not make much difference. As roads were built the T became inferior because it lacked speed and braking ability for good roads.
JoeBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:02 PM   #5
rotorwrench

The body was changed a fair bit in 1926/27 but folks could see higher horse power cars from other manufacturers that were starting to compete in a closer price range. When sales dropped drastically in 1927, even Henry could see the writing on the wall.

After Henry bought out his other shareholders,one of which was his money man, he did have a hard time replacing him. If it wasn't for James Couzins, Ford Motor Co likely wouldn't have survived the modelT Era. He was a hard act to follow but the company managed to survive the depression.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-19-2021 at 01:08 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:04 AM   #6
A bones

As told to me first by my dad, then later by my mom's mother.
The A brought to the public, four wheel brakes versus no wheel brakes. Three forward gears versus two, and twice the horsepower. ( Another advantage during the first two years of 'A' production, Ford would beat a Chevy six from a stop. Some changes later spoiled that edge, )
Gramma said it best that if you were looking to take a journey in the "T" don't expect to walk away with clean hands
To me that says it all. Convenience always wins in this world.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:21 PM   #7
Gary loves Fords

Henry was not one for change, especially since his Model T literately put the world on wheels. In 1922 half of all the cars in the United States were Model T's. He made it affordable for the common man to be able to own one. By 1926, he returned to colors and did a few changes, but mostly for the 18 years of the Model T's production, it remained pretty much the same car. The competition was offering more horse power and more stylish bodies and eventually Edsel convinced his Father they needed a new car. Henry finally agreed and they came out with the Model A and that was a huge success also. It's true, Henry was not a great Father to his Son Edsel and belittled him, but it was Edsel who is responsible for the Model A.
All that said, I have both Model T's and Model A's and am addicted to both of them and if I were younger, I would drive my 1909 Model T accross the country tomorrow.
Gary loves Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:39 PM   #8
redmodelt

Yes but 1922 when 1/2 the cars on the road were Fords, but market trends were changing, the other half had 3 speed transmissions, 2 wheel brakes (rear) and distributors, and that other 1/2 was made up of many different manufactures or models made by same manufacturer. While some makes made enough cars, so their survival rate is ok, Ford out shines them all today, having more survivors.