Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2020, 12:33 PM   #1
Bills Cars

Default oil pump question

Hi, I am in the process of installing the oil pan on my 292 Y block. The pipe from the pan to the oil pump kit includes a neoprene tube, about 1/2 inch long, with a metal insert on each end and a separate neoprene washer . What goes into the oil pump first?? Thanks...Bill/Okla
Bills Cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
Hot Rod Reverend

Default Re: oil pump question

This should help tremendously. This diagram is from a 50s Ford engine manual that I have on the CD's that I distribute. Obviously this oil pump is the gerotor type but that should not make a difference on the oil pick up tube.
Spur drive should be the same. As far as the neoprene washer - maybe that is used against the oil pan as a replacement for the copper washer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil pump diagram.jpg (49.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-29-2020, 02:54 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: oil pump question

Install new oil pan gasket onto you oil pan-to-engine mating surface and apply gasket sealer to the top of the gasket when ready to install. with the oil pickup tube inserted through the hole in the pan, slide the copper washer and locknut on the tube outside the pan BUT DO NOT THREAD THE LOCKNUT ONTO THE TUBE YET. Now slide the threaded bushing onto the pickup tube, then slide the neoprene gasket/seal onto the end of the tube.
As you raise the pan to the bottom of the engine block, insert the end of the tube into the oil pump and screw in a few bolts to hold the pan to the engine. Now pull the elbow portion of the pickup tube outward and screw the locknut in that holds it to the pan but DO NOT TIGTHTEN YET. Push the neoprene gasket seal into the oil pump if necessary and screw in the threaded bushing to the oil pump but DO NOT TIGTHTEN YET. Screw in the rest of your pan bolts and tighten to specifications. Now go back and tighten the locknut FIRST, then tighten the bushing on the oil pump.
DONE.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote