Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
1928Pickuppain

Default When to start driving again???

So i know alot of you guys are getting up there in age and have most likely had hip replacement surgeries done. Even though I am only 22 i had to have a full hip replacement 8 days ago. The tough parts almost over and things are getting better yesterday I spent a few hours out of the house visiting a few friends and hat shopping. I am not sure if i would be able to drive at the moment but may be soon. that part of my mind is itching and i want to be back in my garage and back in my car. So my question for you guys who have had the surgery is how long until you were able to crawl back in your As?
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
Huckster Dave

Default Re: When to start driving again???

Sorry I still have both my own.
Huckster Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

When you feel up to it then wait another week.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
ctlikon0712

If you don't mind my asking, was it AVN? Avascular Necrosis...... I know someone who like you is to young to be having skeletal problems but may have to resort to the surgery.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
1931 flamingo

WHAT DOES YOUR DOCTOR SAY??? Had mine done about 5-6 yrs ago, bone on bone. Do NOT bend, stoop, etc more than 90* so you don't pop it out of socket, very painful I'm told. I had a full hip with titanium parts done. Fine now. You need to do the follow up therapy. Don't be afraid to take anything prescribed for pain. Just don't overdue it. JMO
Good Luck!
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
Fordors

1931 flamingo has it right, listen to your doctor/therapists. Don't take the advice of any one else, and I'd also let them know how confining a Model A is. They might think that is a factor in your recovery time.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
1928Pickuppain

Ya it was AVN but back 6 months ago I had a massive problem in that leg wear all the blood flow died to it and I had to have emergency surgery. They had to rerought my femoral artery and remove a lot of dead tissue so I am left with a lot of permanent weakness in that leg and a lot of nerve damage too. While they were in there they did a hip decompression to try and save the hip itself. This didn't work and the hip collapsed. The main surgery did work and my leg was saved but the hip was not. It colapsed and I had a long involved ordeal with my orthopedic doctor who was very neglectful and I had to get a new doctor he did the hip replacement and I think I'm on my way back to a pretty functional life. Because of the first surgery I do have a lot of secondary complications with the hip replacement but they are being resolved. Thanks for the advice though guys.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

Pickup,
I still drive, even after Polio, I wear full leg braces, one for a hyper extended knee, one for a broken ACL ligament, one back surgery after being paralyzed from waist down for 1 1/2 months, another when my left foot & leg went numb, two neck surgeries when both arms & hands went numb, shoulder surgery from frayed rotator cuff muscle & bone spurs!
Main thing, don't rush it & be dang careful, it seems that it takes more time than you would think to get stuff back to fairly NORMAL! Wishing you a speedy & complete recovery.
Bill W.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
Jon

I had replacement surgery 10 years ago. I know it was at least 8 weeks before Dr. would allow me to drive. Course it was right hip so in modern iron that one does all of the work. You have to remember to look out for the worst case. suppose you were in an accident or had to put the brakes on hard and braced yourself with that leg. That soon after surgery you could pop it out of joint in a heart beat. My point is, let your body heal and don't push it or you will regret it. I had end of stem pain for almost six months after surgery. some of us take longer than others.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #10
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Pickup,
I still drive, even after Polio, I wear full leg braces, one for a hyper extended knee, one for a broken ACL ligament, one back surgery after being paralyzed from waist down for 1 1/2 months, another when my left foot & leg went numb, two neck surgeries when both arms & hands went numb, shoulder surgery from frayed rotator cuff muscle & bone spurs!
Main thing, don't rush it & be dang careful, it seems that it takes more time than you would think to get stuff back to fairly NORMAL! Wishing you a speedy & complete recovery.
Bill W.
Geez Bill, do you answer to the name of Lucky? I had 3 back surgeries, then broke my leg. When that was healing I fell and broke 4 vetabrae in the lumbar area of my back. L2 thru L5. They did laminectomys on all 4 so my nerves and spinal column had room inside the spinal column. That was my 4th and 5th surgeries and eliminated the paralysis after 2 months. Then I dealt with some pretty severe "toe drop". That's finally gone now. But I have some peripheral neuropathy and more than 2-3 hours in the shop wipes me out. But none of it stops me from driving my Ts. But I had to learn to bide my time and let things heal before I pushed myself. It was a long wait but now I'm mostly pain free and have more problems with arthritis in my shoulder and Plantar Faciitis in both feet than anything else. So my advice is take your time healing and don't push your luck. It's better to wait until your back to full strength and then have a long life of enjoyable driving. Good Luck -Mike
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #11
BILL WILLIAMSON

My Lord, Mike, we sound like "twins!" Yes, I'm lucky & blessed that I can still do a LOT of things. My braces have little bungee cords that keep my toes up. Once I get wrangled into my coupe, watch out, or I'll run you over & laugh at you!! (Old Drag Racer!) I just built curved back bar stool seats with swivels to get in & out easier & to gain about 6" more leg room. Bill W.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #12
Jim Huseby

Well, since you mentioned your condition, its inevitable that several of us are praying for your long-term health. Is it your throttle and brake side or your clutch side? Bill Williamson's suggestion on seats sounds attractive to me, and I imagine he has them lock in place, once seated. You are probably familiar with the info traded here on thinner seat backs and dropped floors for a little less cramped seating position. Also, I think the V-8 clutch requires a little less effort to operate, and the A was born with a hand throttle if your right foot gets tired. For various reasons, there are a few A's running around with automatics, two that I've seen for hill climbing. If I may speak for our fellow barners, we want to see you healthier than ever and enjoying that A.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Huseby View Post
Well, since you mentioned your condition, its inevitable that several of us are praying for your long-term health. Is it your throttle and brake side or your clutch side? Bill Williamson's suggestion on seats sounds attractive to me, and I imagine he has them lock in place, once seated. You are probably familiar with the info traded here on thinner seat backs and dropped floors for a little less cramped seating position. Also, I think the V-8 clutch requires a little less effort to operate, and the A was born with a hand throttle if your right foot gets tired. For various reasons, there are a few A's running around with automatics, two that I've seen for hill climbing. If I may speak for our fellow barners, we want to see you healthier than ever and enjoying that A.
Jeremy,
I posted my seats here if you can find it, I think it was in a thread about more legroom. Yes, they lock! I have to unlock it to spin around when I have a fart for Gregg! Seating units can be changed back to stock in 10minutes. Could work for pickups too. Bill W.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #14
CarlG

Here's Bill's seats:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5-29-2012 10-26-43 AM.jpg (46.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 5-29-2012 10-27-05 AM.jpg (47.4 KB, 60 views)
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:04 AM   #15
1928Pickuppain

I appreciate all the advice and concern. It is my clutch side that i have the problem with. I have a 2001 jeep TJ sport and back when i had my first surgery in October i lost the ability to drive it. They had to remove so much mussel tissue i could no longer lift the leg to put it on the clutch (unless I used my hand with a strap to lift it on and thats not practical or safe) My jeep went into storage and i was left with my A as my only vehicle. Because the Clutch petal is so close to the floor I barly need to lift my foot at all to drive her and there is no problem she realy fits me like a glove. She has turned into the most reliable vehicle i have ever had No matter the time of day the weather the season the temperature or the distance of travel she always starts right up and brings me were i need to go. Wether its to and from work a round trip of 100 miles a day or to NYC in december or randomly to Canada or the weekly trip to Ossipee NH she has never let me down and I feel not more concern as I would taking my jeep. just 20min of maintenance a week and im worrie free. I honestly feel that i could drive her now i feel like i have the strength in that leg to push the clutch down. My big concern is getting in i haven't felt comfortable enough to try it. Once i get in i think ill be fine. Also bumping around is a concern ( i have no shocks) the bumps might be to much for me. I was just trying to gauge when most of you were able to crall in and drive away. how long should i wate before i even try. On one last note If there is any one in my area (middlesex County Ma) who can help me change my pan gasket and maby adj the shims on my bearing caps i would greatly appreciate it. I pulled the pan one day to clean out the sludge, let me tell u i had about 4 inches. When i went to put the pan back on Laying on my back on a gravel floored grarge it was murder i couldn't get the cork gasket that goes in the far rear back on. so i left it and buttoned it up it leeks about a quart a day and the day before my most recent surgery my appt building facility called me up and told me i couldn't have it in the parking lot any more until i get the oil leek fixed. I know i need to do it but i know i can not crawl around on the ground and try and fix it myself again in my condition even after my hip feels good i still have a few more med problems that i don't want to agitate (2 crushed vertebra in my back a few bulging disk and two torn rotter cuffs). If some one has a garage and can help that would be awesome. Just toughing that out there. Thanks again

Derek G-
Old 05-30-2012, 02:18 AM   #16
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928Pickuppain View Post
I appreciate all the advice and concern. It is my clutch side that i have the problem with. I have a 2001 jeep TJ sport and back when i had my first surgery in October i lost the ability to drive it. They had to remove so much mussel tissue i could no longer lift the leg to put it on the clutch (unless I used my hand with a strap to lift it on and thats not practical or safe) My jeep went into storage and i was left with my A as my only vehicle. Because the Clutch petal is so close to the floor I barly need to lift my foot at all to drive her and there is no problem she realy fits me like a glove. She has turned into the most reliable vehicle i have ever had No matter the time of day the weather the season the temperature or the distance of travel she always starts right up and brings me were i need to go. Wether its to and from work a round trip of 100 miles a day or to NYC in december or randomly to Canada or the weekly trip to Ossipee NH she has never let me down and I feel not more concern as I would taking my jeep. just 20min of maintenance a week and im worrie free. I honestly feel that i could drive her now i feel like i have the strength in that leg to push the clutch down. My big concern is getting in i haven't felt comfortable enough to try it. Once i get in i think ill be fine. Also bumping around is a concern ( i have no shocks) the bumps might be to much for me. I was just trying to gauge when most of you were able to crall in and drive away. how long should i wate before i even try. On one last note If there is any one in my area (middlesex County Ma) who can help me change my pan gasket and maby adj the shims on my bearing caps i would greatly appreciate it. I pulled the pan one day to clean out the sludge, let me tell u i had about 4 inches. When i went to put the pan back on Laying on my back on a gravel floored grarge it was murder i couldn't get the cork gasket that goes in the far rear back on. so i left it and buttoned it up it leeks about a quart a day and the day before my most recent surgery my appt building facility called me up and told me i couldn't have it in the parking lot any more until i get the oil leek fixed. I know i need to do it but i know i can not crawl around on the ground and try and fix it myself again in my condition even after my hip feels good i still have a few more med problems that i don't want to agitate (2 crushed vertebra in my back a few bulging disk and two torn rotter cuffs). If some one has a garage and can help that would be awesome. Just toughing that out there. Thanks again

Derek G-
Derek, my friend,
I can sympathize with you, after 4 months on a walker from acute muscle damage from taking Lovastatin too long and 3 weeks in rehab from a hallucinating side effect from Flexerill a muscle relaxant, I tried to get in Minerva, my coupe.
Fell in face down across the seat, struggled around like a worm to turn over, drug my feet in & sat up! Car had sat 4 months with a 6 year old battery & NO trickle charger, cranked like a champ,RRRRRRR choked again, RRRRRRRR, danged evaporation BANDIT must have stole my gas!!
2:00 A.M, sat up in bed, dang! forgot to turn gas on!! After firing Minerva with her NASCAR soundin' side pipe, a crowd of 4 neighbors had gathered to see what OL' BILL was up to at 2:00A.M!
Brother, I know you're going through a hellish time now, if you can lace it with a bit of humor, it helps. Praying for a speedy recovery. Bill W.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:56 AM   #17
1928Pickuppain

Lol yep that's basically what im afraid of doing can see myself now trying to get in, falling on face on seat and bouncing onto floor can see myself being stuck with door open feet sticking out, stick sift in armpit between arm and body and no way to get out hoping a buddy comes by the garage to randomly use drill press and can get me out lol. :P
Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #18
1928Pickuppain

Update today after squashing up my gas leeks I atempted to crall in the old girl had to get in from the passenger seat took about 5 min and it was a struggle, put foot on clutch had to help it up there though pulled her forward then reverse felt like I was trying to lift a car with my leg pushing that down. Lol had no gass so sift go any were tomorrow Im going. To put gas in her and take her around the block I figure it will be good physical therapy lol is it going to harm anything if I just keep my foot resting on the clutch while I drive so I don't need to keep lifting it up there?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:04 PM   #19
Bill in SoCal

[QUOTE=I just keep my foot resting on the clutch while I drive so I don't need to keep lifting it up there?[/QUOTE]

What you are doing is called riding the clutch. No problem as long as you keep you foot pressure as light as possible when not in sue. Problem comes when your pressure causes the clutch to slip. You can burn up the clutch. God bless you - Bill
Bill in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:36 PM   #20
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928Pickuppain View Post
Update today after squashing up my gas leeks I atempted to crall in the old girl had to get in from the passenger seat took about 5 min and it was a struggle, put foot on clutch had to help it up there though pulled her forward then reverse felt like I was trying to lift a car with my leg pushing that down. Lol had no gass so sift go any were tomorrow Im going. To put gas in her and take her around the block I figure it will be good physical therapy lol is it going to harm anything if I just keep my foot resting on the clutch while I drive so I don't need to keep lifting it up there?
Shucks, I thought that was where old rickedy folks who can't lift their foot were supposed to park their foot! It's real comfy & you're always ready for that drag racing opportunity! I added a stronger pedal return spring so's I don't wear out the Chinese T.O. bearing. I admire the Chinese, they can COPY ANYTHING! Saw a pic of a Kawasaki that they copied. I should move there and teach them how to make knives, forks, & spoons, but it is kind of them to provide us with CHOP STICKS to adjust our 3rd brush! No, I'm not into the Burgundy Wine-------NOT YET! Bill W.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #21
jeremy.klinger

My wife had a hip replacement at 38 years old and she was driving in roughly five weeks. At the same time, she was driving a modern automatic vehicle, not my Model A.
jeremy.klinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #22
1931 flamingo

You keep crawling in and out of an A AND trying to use the clutch, you'll pop that new hip. They say THAT is more painful than even the operation. Good luck, but I think you're crazy for even trying this soon after the surgury..................JMO
Paul in CT
Old 06-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with Paul. It isn't worth the risk. You're young enough that you'll have many years of driving the Model A without risk of a reinjury. Time to relax and work on small parts or read Model A books. The SERVICE BULLETINS are actually very interesting to read through.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #24
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
...The SERVICE BULLETINS are actually very interesting to read through.
Has anyone ever put together an index of these so that you can actually find something without looking at every freaking page?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #25
BudP

My "Ford Service Bulletins" with the green cover has an index in the back. Don't know about the regional service bulletins.
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #26
Tom Wesenberg

I don't know about the downsized yellow version of the Service Bulletins, but the full sized edition I have in a blue binder has a very complete index in the back.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #27
1931 flamingo

Mine has a green cover and an index in the back. It does make interesting reading.
Paul in CT
Old 06-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #28
CarlG

OK. I stand corrected. I guess I was going by the little yellow copy I have. I have since got the full size one with the green cover.

Thanks guys, Carl
Old 06-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #29
Steve Wastler

That's the one drawback of my original set, no index, but well worth reading cover to cover again and again.....
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #30
BILL WILLIAMSON

When I get a new parts catalog, I go through it page by page and always I pick up on something I didn't know or find a part that I didn't know was supplied. Claude, (SUPER GURU) didn't know about the curved wishbone washer! I cut exploded views from OLD catalogs & paste them on the wall. Bill W.