Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #21
OldDad

Default Re: 6.00X16 radial conversion

Did a little research on this one a while back, and found the Bridgestone Ecopia 195/80/16 here for $125 a piece (!)

http://www.onlinetires.com/user/vehi...allbrands.html

However, as stated earlier, this are for "electric vehicles only" -- I change my own tires with a manual tire changer, so . . .

They also have the Yokohamas at $168

The Bridgestones are apparently very slightly smaller in diameter than 600:16. A tenth of an inch or so, I believe it was. Like the bias ply looks, but for the price, I'm taking a hard look at these.
OldDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #22
OldDad

Oh, and I did read one review of the Bridgestones on an old Ford (pickup, I think it was) on here a while back -- he said it was the best change he ever made on his truck. But I have no first-hand experience with them.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #23
DD931

Why would it make any difference if it was an electric car or not? Does the tires do something different on an electric car?
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #24
L78CHEVELLE

As I stated earlier 195/80R16 tires made for electric cars only, have very shallow thread depth to allow for less rolling resistance and are not made for all season driving. Yokohama does make a 195/80R16 for electric cars only like Bridgestone, but Yokohama also makes a 195/80R16 for regular cars through specialty tire dealers.
L78CHEVELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #25
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD931 View Post
Blucar - Are your comments true for any width radial? Wouldn't a narrower tire be happy with a narrower wheel?
I guess it could be said that a narrow tire would be "happy" on a narrow wheel, just as some guys would be happy on a narrow woman, where-as some guys like a wider woman..
I just took the time to again review a tire manufactures catalog.. The majority of tires listed in the catalog generally have recommended wheel widths, very few of which are narrower than 5", especially in the 15-16 inch sizes..
Throughout the years, I have encountered many salesmen that are either downright liars, or else they do not know much about what they are selling. Tire salesmen generally fall into this category...
Several years ago I purchased a set of tires for my pickup... As the tires were being installed I questioned the very aggressive tread design.. I was told that the tread design was required in order to meet the DOT MS requirements...
After driving the pickup just a few miles I returned to the tire store, I told the salesman that the tire made to much noise for me.. I was told... Sorry.. I don't make the tires, I just sell them.. I returned to the store a few days later, talked to the manager, was again told that they did not make the tires..
I went on line, looked up the tire spec's and found that they were made for 75% OFF ROAD USE IN AUSTRALIA!!!!. I called my credit card company, had the purchase price cancelled... Within a few minutes I had the store manager on the phone.. His attitude had completely changed..
He told me that the salesman had told him that I wanted new tires right now, where-as the salesman claimed that he had told me they would have to order my size.. I had elected to take the tires they had in stock... Hmmmm?
I got new tires, that were quiet..
Old 05-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #26
L78CHEVELLE

One more thing I want to mention about the tires that are made for electric cars only. On the side of the tires for the entire world to see in large three inch tall letters is "ELECTRIC CARS ONLY". I don't want this on the side of tires I have on my original Ford flathead car. Do you?
L78CHEVELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #27
OldDad

Not my first choice, but the OP wanted to know what was available. I assume the "Electric Cars Only" might become an issue finding someone to mount them on an obviously non-electric vehicle. Another issue would be how long these tires will remain available, since Toyota only made a relative handful of those electric Rav4's
Old 05-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #28
felix37

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 View Post
Think twice about Kokers. I had Kokers on my '46 and after less than 20,000 miles I developed dangerously thin wear on both edges of my tires. It was almost like a serious under inflation problem. I check my tire pressure often and keep it at the 35psi recommended by Koker. I showed pictures of my tires to the Koker people last Hershey and was told "our tires are for show cars and not to be driven on" WHAT!!! This was verified by several people on another site and they were told the same thing. Go with Diamodbacks.
Woodiewagon, I find it very hard to believe that Coker tire told you that the tires were not for driving on. They have a no hassle guarantee and an excellent customer service department. They didnt get to be the largest antique reproduction tire company in the world by selling bad tires! maybe Koker with a "K" told you that.
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #29
52merc

diamond backs are the way to go
Old 08-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #30
goandwhoa

Just throwing in my two cents worth of opinion....been in this hobby for a long time....have had one set of Diamondbacks and three sets of Cokers for my roadsters. Got to tell you years ago Coker, when still trying to make a name for themselves, excelled in what I considered quality and service. Then they expanded nationally and wanted the West Coast and many conversations back here in Indiana reflected what must have been a change in Coker's tires. However after the first set their product and support went to hell. Cupping and very early premature failure. Wide white discoloration immediately. Immediate wear in/out after about 1000 miles and my wheels were true and straight, balanced properly, and air pressured maintained....Calls after calls finally got only one tire sent to me as a replacement. I had to pay shipping. My complaints could go on and on. I switched to Diamondback and have never regretted it for a moment. Fully pleased with their product, their service and their committments. I can jump in one of my cars, take a short or a long trip and not worry about getting home on its own rubber! Sometimes the little companies produce better than the large! Take it for what it's worth. At my old age I don't really give a damn if you agree or not!

When I grow up I want to be just like me!
goandwhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #31
36 flathead

I have the electric vehicle only tires on my 1950 f1. they have been on for about 7,000 miles. they seem to wear well, and they really helped the handling .
36 flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #32
Zeke...PA

I've put 205/70R16 Continentals on my 37 slightly less than the 600X16 but look OK so far and at $115 per tire landed. Zeke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0020.jpg (63.8 KB, 133 views)
Old 08-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #33
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

I just returned a defective 670x15 firestone www bias. to Coker, it had tread separation ( bubbles in the sidewall near the tread ) they will try to get you to ship the tire back then reimburse you for the shipping, don't fall for that line, insist that they send you a prepaid shipping label. thats what they did for me after some insistance.
shipped back via Fed Ex per thier instructions
tire had about 7,500 mi on it. I received a check from them for $92.00 ( I did not want another tire )
also, if you buy a set from them make sure you registar the tires.
the rep was very good but remember he works for Coker.
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #34
alan

I have been running Ecopia brand for electric cars only tires on my 40 wagon for almost 2 years--tread depth shallow BS, I drive it thru the mountains, rain, traffic and could not be happier, a friend of mine has already returned a set of coker radials, came apart right out of the wrapper from coker--now that is crap, why send out a defective tire?
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #35
8CM

On my 49 f1 used 215/70/16 bridgestone dueller HT
8CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #36
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

I ran tubless Radial tires for many years on my 1951 F1. I worked in a dealer collision repair shop and took all the tires home that were replaced because of minor cuts etc. Never had a problem. I had that truck for about 18 years and hauled some very heavy loads. Heavest load that was weighed was 2700 lbs of crushed stone but have hauled even heavier loads just don't know how much they weighed. It was a work truck and I worked it.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #37
1oldtimer

old post but my .02, I have some 195/75-16 from Diamond Back on my '47 car (last 4yrs). They're great, slightly look like bias and run tubeless on 4.5 rims. Sadly I don't see them on Diamond Backs website anymore, they're still made by Federal tire and are their Ecovan EC01 and I'm not sure if I can get them state side. I like the Idea that they're a production tire and not a one off for old cars. I also run 215/80-LT16 BF Goodrich Commercial T/A on my '54 panel, tubeless, 5" wide rims. Had them on for 2 years, they're great, slight bias look and tall.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #38
JLB3

I looked into getting the Federal EC01 tires too, but I think they will be hard to find in the US. They would be perfect size. 175/75-R16 Front and 215/75-R16 Rear.

Anybody know where to buy these?
JLB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #39
1oldtimer

http://www.federaltire.com/en/distributor.php
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear-1.jpg (45.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg rear-2.jpg (29.8 KB, 69 views)
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:20 AM   #40
JLB3

1oldtimer - where did you buy those? Are they the federal brand tires that diamondback tire added whitewalls to? Unfortunately, I don't think diamondback carries those anymore.
JLB3 is offline   Reply With Quote