Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
Russ/40

Default Speedo and cable problem

I'm chasing after a couple problems left over after completing my 29PU. I am using a repo Speedo cable and jacket. I have confirmed the compatibility of both ends of the cable as to the torque tube end and the oval speedometer end. The speedometer works when spun with a drill out of the truck, but not when installed. It acts like the cable too short. Is there an auxiliary end or something I can use to get this thing working? It is such a pain to get the panel back in, I really don't want to pull the dash again.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #2
Mark in MT

Default Re: Speedo and cable problem

Some of the repro cables have short ends on the speedo end. The input of the Stewart Warners is round for the first 3/16 or so, then transitions to a square further down in the hole. If the cable tip is too short it will not engage properly into the drive. If the tip does not have a washer under it to keep it engaged into the speedo head, it will likely slip down the housing because the drive shaft at the torque tube is hollow and will allow the cable to go too far in. I have fixed this problem by putting a small rod in the hole as a spacer to hold the cable into the head.

Always looking for another opportunity to be wrong.
Mark in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
jax55

Could it be that the cable is installed backwards? Mine has a collar that goes in the speedometer end of the jacket. Could be that if it is installed the other way, the cable is slipping too far into the jacket and out of the speedo.
Is the cable extending far enough from the jacket to engage the speedo when you remove it?
Just some thoughts.
jax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
31Tudor

What Mark said. Have you tried spinning the cable with the drill at the torque tube end while everything is hooked up at the speedometer end? If the speedo doesn't work then, you at least know that it is that end that is not getting or staying in the slot like Mark said.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:01 PM   #5
Russ/40

Thank you guys very much. Took a piece of stainless rod 1/2" long by 5/32" cross section and inserted it into the torque tube fitting first before the cable. All is well, the unit is working fine. Thank You!
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote