Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
700rpm

Thumbs down Poor quality repro part

I just got my order from Sac. Vint. Ford. It included a Ford licensed repro of the 28-30 radiator emblem. It isn't even close to the original. Is there any quality control being exercised over these licensed products? I'm so tired of ordering stuff and having to send it back, or in this case, eat it.

I don't know whether to blame SVF, or the maker of this junk, or myself.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
bobscogin

Default Re: Poor quality repro part

I think licensing of a part is strictly to allow the legal use of the Ford name, not to control quality standards.

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
Buz

Can you post a photo of the part?
Buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
MikeK

The licensing represents the Ford corporate name, image, and their design engineering beyond expired patents. It has no direct connection to quality or authenticity.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
denis4x4

The real question here is would you have paid considerbly more for the same item if the quality was there? Vendors obviously don't think so, otherwise they would produce higher quality products at higher prices.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
Tinker

I think I like the specially re-builder over the new manufactured stuff. It cost nearly the same. Give or take a few bucks.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
The real question here is would you have paid considerbly more for the same item if the quality was there? Vendors obviously don't think so, otherwise they would produce higher quality products at higher prices.
Yes. Quality is always worth it.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buz View Post
Can you post a photo of the part?
I can't post a picture without opening the package, but I'll describe the problems: the Ford script is actually below the blue field, not flush as with originals; the blue field looks like paint rather than enamel, and may in fact be paint; there is an extra embossed ridge around the perimeter; the plating is poor quality.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
wrndln

Why would a "correctly made" emblem be considerably more money? I would think it might cost more, but a lot more - I'm not so sure. I have no data to back this up, but it seems to me that making a part correctly, like the original part, Would cost more, but wouldn't cost a lot more. I have had my share of poor quality parts and I would be willing to pay more for a good fitting and original looking part. I don't think that making the parts correctly would cost considerabily more. I am especially upset by some sheetmetal repro parts. There are some good parts made like Albrecht Towing's rear coupe/roadster fenders and many but not all of Brookville stamped parts, but there are a lot of ill fitting sheetmetal parts on the market - like Howell's products. I know this thread is about radiator emblems, but I think there are many other parts that fall into the same category. I suppose there are many people that are willing to use repro parts that are not so good (fit and look) and like the relative cheap prices, but I am not one of them. Just my two cents.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31

I personally think most ofnthe repro parts are junk. I'd take a good USED original part over a new Repro part. Or spend the cash on a NOS if available.
Modelakid31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I just got my order from Sac. Vint. Ford. It included a Ford licensed repro of the 28-30 radiator emblem. It isn't even close to the original. Is there any quality control being exercised over these licensed products? I'm so tired of ordering stuff and having to send it back, or in this case, eat it.

I don't know whether to blame SVF, or the maker of this junk, or myself.
You did call SVF did you not? How are they to know they have a problem with the parts unless we tell them. I have delt with alot of vendors since getting in this hoppy. I find the better ones will tell you in the catalog how well that match the original part on fit and finish.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #12
34FordFabricator

I manufacture super high quality parts for the 1933 1934 Ford especially the Roadster and Phaeton. I can't sell them because to put that exacting quality in them so they look just like the original part they have to be hand made with special tooling. My goal is that after they are made and painted that no one can tell them from the original. But no one will pay the price I have to get for them to accomplish this quality. Take a look for yourself at the parts on my web sight. http://northnbill.com/home Once you start to mass produce the quality goes way down.
Best Regards,
Bill
34FordFabricator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

1. Every time you are tempted by a repro part, especially if it is either visually conspicuous, reliability related, or able to kill you if it fails, put the money in cash in a backpack.
2. When October comes up on the calendar, strap on the pack and head for Hershey. Hitchike if necessary. Look at all the real parts!!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #14
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
You did call SVF did you not? How are they to know they have a problem with the parts unless we tell them. I have delt with alot of vendors since getting in this hoppy. I find the better ones will tell you in the catalog how well that match the original part on fit and finish.
Mike, I did call SFV and sent the emblem back with a note regarding the quality. They were sorry the part had not worked out for me. I don't really think it's their fault, except they should make a note in the catalog; they've been in the business since 1969, and they know whether a part is right or not. I think I will call Bratton's tomorrow and ask them about the emblems they carry.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

I saw an emblem from Bratton's about 10 years ago and I thought it looked very good. You can also call Bert's to see if they have an NOS emblem, or an excellent used original. I got lucky and found an excellent used original 1928 emblem at the swap meet this past Sunday.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #16
John LaVoy

Many times the Ford licensing is for the use of the part number and the Ford name and has nothing to do with the quality of the part.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #17
JACSKATE

I work for a company that manufactures repo parts. Believe me nobody wants to make or sell junk parts. However sometimes quality does become a problem. We strive to make each part correctly. If in the manufacturing process a die or stamping goes bad we need to know. All the big vendors of Model A parts want to keep you as a customer and want to make sure you are happy. If you get a part the doesn't fit or that is wrongly made, I suggest you contact them. They in turn can check their stock and notify the manufacturer.
We have pulled parts off the shelf and sent them back to our factory to either correct them or send good parts.
Ford licensing is really pretty tough when it comes to getting a part licensed. There are a lot of different criteria to meet to when applying for licensing and one is the quality of the part. That's why I think the part you got somehow got through quality control and isn't the norm.
The main thing I need to stress to everyone is to please contact the vendor you bought the part from. If they don't know about it they cannot let the manufcturer know and it won't get fixed.

Regards,

Jack
JACSKATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #18
700rpm

"The main thing I need to stress to everyone is to please contact the vendor you bought the part from."

Thanks Jack. I did that.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:26 PM   #19
peters180a/170b

I came across some "really" nice radiator emblems a vendor was selling at $65.00 each 1929/30 then the norm is about $35.00 for a nice one. But what i have been told what cost us 3 or 4 years ago at $210.00 to have restored perfectly is now $300.00,[this is for Fine Point judging]so forget about double the price of a repro one. Bratton has them at $36.15[nice idea ,clamp backing] or $24.00 [original style pressed it].Guess its what you are shooting for. Me i have had no problem yet with what ever Bratton's sells or A+L parts ,Snyder's [ i like their exhaust manifold ,,they went the extra mile on them].
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:26 PM   #20
CarlG

I guess that part of my problem is that my rig was restored a little over 20 years ago, and driven very little before I bought it last year. I have no idea where the parts were purchased, but it's not hard to tell who manufactured them. Most of the parts that I have had to replace for one reason or another were all made by or for the same manufacturer. It's futile for me to try to go back to anyone, I just obtain quality replacement parts and pitch the "V..." ones. They aren't worth trying to fix, certainly not worth the effort to try and go back on a 20 year old purchase by a previous owner.

Now, if it's something I bought, certainly I would get back with whomever I purchased it from, regardless of who the manufacturer was/is.
CarlG is online now   Reply With Quote