Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-26-2019, 04:08 AM   #1
gavinnz

Default Sleeving questions.... I need a little education

Ok so I have an OK 8BA block with only one crack, and I can fix that.

But I need a little education on sleeve sizes....

Here is what I am up against.
The block has been bored 40 over and used...
Two barrels have had sleeves fitted in the past... but they look real thin...
How thin is too thin for a sleeve???

I am assuming that I would have to go to at least 80 over to clean up rust in the bores.
Can I get sleeves that can take a 80 over bore or even a .125 overbore??

I have done some reading but I was not clear on sleeve thickness or overall thickness... And the sleeves I was looking at seemed aimed at taking an engine back to standard.... HELP!
gavinnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:30 AM   #2
gavinnz

Default Re: Sleeving questions.... I need a little education

One quick thing forgot... if I was to bore the engine .125 over I would NOT take out all of the two sleeves... which is a bugger.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:28 AM   #3
54vicky

I would think you would get a better response to a question about the engine.on a forum like flatheads forever not positive but worth a try if you do not get a response.also it may bring more opinions good luck.
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Sleeves are likely anywhere from 100 bucks per bore to 150 give or take so it can get expensive to bore and install a whole set. Ford used tin can sleeves successfully back before the war that were .040" thick steel but they took special equipment to replace so most folks took them out and went oversize. Personally, I would feel more comfortable with about .080" thickness left over but they can be cut pretty thin. There have been engines built where they cut through into a water jackets to put large bore sleeves in to make a 221 engine into a 239 engine with plenty of wall thickness for reserve. It's up to the machinist as to what size he is willing to work with. Sleeves are available to work with about any size a person could imagine.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:37 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

To me it would involve a talk between me and the machinist that is doing the work. About any size sleeve is available.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:08 PM   #6
flatjack9

Melling has sleeves with a 3 3/16 bore and .094 or .125 thickness. I'm sure there are others.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:27 PM   #7
Ol' Ron

I bore all my 59 and 8ba blocks to 3 5/16 and run Egge 3 ring pistons this will give you 258 ci and another point in CR and a very nice engine with plenty of torque and better mileage. No sleeves.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:30 AM   #8
flatheadmurre

In a wet sleeve aplication thereīs a limitation on thickness set by strenght.
In a dry sleeve as in a flathead there is no minimum limitation from that point of view...you get issues with not enought force to keep the sleeve from moving or distorsion of the wall first.
There are cylinder sleeves 1/16 from start..
Not easy to say whatīs safe or not when you donīt do the sleeve from start...light pressfit and an adhesive between sleeve and block you can go real thin...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:30 AM   #9
gavinnz

Thanks for the information guys. Much appreciated. Looking at the rust damage in one un sleeved cylinder I think I will be going to a .125 over bore. So the two existing sleeves will have to be replaced with bigger thicker ones as there will only be a wafer thin layer left of the two in the engine.

So if I am going to a 84.135mm bore (.125 inch over Bore) and I want a 2mm sleeve finished thickness, ( just under .08 inch) then a sleeve OD of just over 88mm will be needed..... Looking at it that looks doable.... So think I am armed with knowledge I need now.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:50 AM   #10
flatheadmurre

2mm is way more then you need to have...if you ask me i donīt like to bore more out of the block then i need.
The std thin sleeve takes a .060 overbore without anyone questioning it...
Leaving you with a 0.85mm wall.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:03 AM   #11
richard crow

you say it has two sleeves all ready.there must have been a reason .what do all the cylinders mike at. if there all the same give or take a few thousands & you have less than 015 taper hone the eng & fit the proper rings. you guys spend thousands of dollars on a rebuild & most are driven less than 5,000 a year if you are going to put a lot of milage ot it then go the high dollar route.years ago we rebuilt these engs. in frame with a lot of wear & taper still got an other 25,000 before they started to look like crop dusters .
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:09 PM   #12
gavinnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
you say it has two sleeves all ready.there must have been a reason .what do all the cylinders mike at. if there all the same give or take a few thousands & you have less than 015 taper hone the eng & fit the proper rings. you guys spend thousands of dollars on a rebuild & most are driven less than 5,000 a year if you are going to put a lot of milage ot it then go the high dollar route.years ago we rebuilt these engs. in frame with a lot of wear & taper still got an other 25,000 before they started to look like crop dusters .
Can't just hone out the serious rust pitting from years siting with water in the bores. The engine was at an angle with water in it so I have an angled "tide line"
Old 03-27-2019, 07:23 PM   #13
Lawrie

Gavin, are you anywhere near Brian on the barn. He may have some ideas.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:02 PM   #14
gavinnz

I think I am good now, I have enough information to be able to go and see the engine reconditioner and know what I am talking about and to know if he is talking about going in the right direction!

Note: He is an old time engine guy who has done these engines before so he is the right guy to go to!
Old 03-28-2019, 09:05 AM   #15
Ol' Ron

I would think that if the block was good after boring .125", why bother to sleeve it. Unfortunately, you need the pistons before you bore the block, I run .002" clearance on the pistons. Would think this would be less expensive.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:26 AM   #16
gavinnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I would think that if the block was good after boring .125", why bother to sleeve it. Unfortunately, you need the pistons before you bore the block, I run .002" clearance on the pistons. Would think this would be less expensive.
Yes I agree and I would do that if I could but the two sleeves that are already in the engine would be only wafer thin with the .125 over bore... So I would need to re sleeve those to make the .125 over bore work.

Two of the unsleeved bores that are already 40 over are badly pitted so they will I think need the .125 bore to clear all the faults.

So I think I'm stuck with re sleeving the two bores the taking them out to .125. By the way, the sleeves do not appear to be located at the bottom which I believe is not common practice now....
Old 03-28-2019, 09:29 AM   #17
flatheadmurre

Check so they arenīt flanged sleeves...fordīs original sleeves was made that way.
Measure diameter top and bottom if top is larger you have a flange sleeve.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:24 PM   #18
tubman

If you have to buy a set of pistons anyway, at this point I'd check and see if it would take a bore to 3 3/8". Most 8BA's will. If it will, I'd bore it out, get a set of pistons and rings and go for it. Even with a stock 3 3/4" stroke, you'll end up with a bigger engine than installing the vaunted Merc crank. Let the next owner worry about sleeving it when it finally wears out 50 years from now. I think Ol' Ron has one at 3 3/8" plus .030 that he's running with no problems. Even if you wear it out, a quick hone and a new set of rings will give it another 50 years.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:23 PM   #19
gavinnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
If you have to buy a set of pistons anyway, at this point I'd check and see if it would take a bore to 3 3/8". Most 8BA's will. If it will, I'd bore it out, get a set of pistons and rings and go for it.
This is why I keep asking questions! I did not know that a 3 3/8 was even an option. Are the pistons made specially or can they be bought off the shelf like the 3 5/16 sets?
Old 03-28-2019, 06:34 PM   #20
rotorwrench

Going out to 3.375" has its risks but has been done in most of the different 239 blocks. The 221 blocks are too small on 21-studs and the 24-stud version is not a lot better. The bore would be crowding the bolt holes on the bottom edge of the deck on the 21-studs. A person should first make certain that the block will hold its mud. Don't spend money on a leaker until it's fixed. It is a good idea to have the bores sonic checked for thickness before boring it to extremes. If there is a some core shift or thin spots then 3.3125" is a better bet. 3-ring pistons are available starting at 3 5/16" so any where in there is quite acceptable for a street engine.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote