Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2021, 05:03 PM   #1
Sid

Default 55-56 Ford power steering

As many of us know leaking control valves and the slave cyl. usually leak on these P/S units. The later control valves and slaves on the later cars look very similar. I do know when ordering rebuilt units there are different part numbers. Has anyone fudged and used a later one on a 55-56 Ford? Or know where the differences are in the units? Does the slave need to have the end cut and re welded to do a seal replacement? To me it almost looks like if careful you may be able to replace the seal or does it need to come completely apart to service and stop leaking?
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:50 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 55-56 Ford power steering

I have used '57/58 control valves and ram cylinders on a '55 before. Far is I know here are the differences:
54/55/56 control valves had a separate and removeable clamp for the steering arm-to-idler arm rod. The '57 and later control valves had that clamp built-in to the control valve drag-link sleeve. Pretty sure all other internal components are interchangeable. The '57 and later control valves had smaller threaded holes for the ram-cylinder pressure and return ports. No big deal. Just change power steering hoses with smaller fittings.
The older ram cylinders had an external pressure release pipe on the outside of the ram cylinder connected to ends with copper fittings. The later cylinders had internal passage for this. Seems like the older cylinders had a larger piston rod than the newer ones, which meant that the washers, sleeve, nut and locknut were a different size.
But there's nothing that would affect it's operation. The components are a bolt-on swap.
There may have been differences in 59 or later components I am not aware of for a power assist system that might cause the need for modifications/adjustments.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:00 PM   #3
Ole Don

Default Re: 55-56 Ford power steering

The parts I found for mine came from three states. The cylinder came from dry Texas, it was like new with a Ford Rebuilt sticker on it. The other parts were used as bought, then sent to Lares Corporation in Cambridge Minnesota when they went bad. Lares did good work for a reasonable cost.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote