Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #1
alexiskai

Default Snyders new site security concern

Hi folks,

If you have an account at Snyder's, you probably got an email on Weds. announcing that they were re-launching their website and giving all users the same temporary password. This is not great security practice as it is, but the real problem is that as of right now the function to change your password on the new site does not work. Thus everyone is stuck with the same password, and anyone who knew the email address you used to register could potentially log in and view your account, order history, mailing address, etc.

If this bothers you (maybe it doesn't!), you can give them a call, speak to Jeff, and ask him to set your new password manually. I'm sure they'll have the reset function working soon, but I just wanted to alert folks in case anyone has privacy concerns.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
Dick Steinkamp

Default Re: Snyders new site security concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Hi folks,

Thus everyone is stuck with the same password, and anyone who knew the email address you used to register could potentially log in and view your account, order history, mailing address, etc.
...and any credit card info on file.

There may be more to this story, but it does not sound good to me. Lots of bad guys have our email addy's. It's just that most are screened out by our email provider's software and don't ever even hit our spam folder.

I would have thought they would have had a more elegant way of transitioning existing customers to the new site BEFORE they turned it on. What difference would a couple of weeks have meant in order to do it right?
Old 03-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

iF i REMEMBER CORRECTLY DOES IT NOT SAY LOG IN USING THE PASSWORD THEY PROVIDE, THEN REGISTER AND THEY SEND AN EMAIL GIVING YOU ACCESS.
sNYDER'S BEEN AROUND TOO LONG TO MAKE A MISTAKE LIKE YOU'RE SUGGESTING.
rE-READ THEIR E-MAIL. jmo
pAUL IN ct
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #4
alexiskai

Thanks for your concern, I've spoken to their tech guy multiple times and I'm pretty certain of my facts. As I said, I expect them to fix the problem soon, but as of this writing the site does not reflect what they describe in the email and does not provide any password-setting mechanism for existing accounts.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Thanks for your concern, I've spoken to their tech guy multiple times and I'm pretty certain of my facts. As I said, I expect them to fix the problem soon, but as of this writing the site does not reflect what they describe in the email and does not provide any password-setting mechanism for existing accounts.
It does now.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
dbaldwi3

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I sent them an email yesterday concerning this issue of not being able to change my password and i received a response today repeating what the original email said. i tried again today with no success. thinking maybe it was because i was on a mobil device i tried again on my pc with no luck either. It appears the link to change your password is missing. i truly hope they get this fixed soon as i've already had my charge card compromised twice by unsavory types!
dbaldwi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:24 PM   #7
Bob C

dbaldwi3 I did it about 4PM your time and it worked for me.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:50 PM   #8
jax55

Has not worked for me yet, and I just tried again.
It got me to the new temporary password, but when I tried to change it on the site it kept coming back with a "general error" screen. No password update.
I have tried it several times today, and as long as I use the [password they gave, I can ge in... but still cannot change to a new one.
I emailed them today, no reply as yet.
I wonder if there are a lot if people trying to do this at the same time.. overloading the site and on chance when it calms down, someone can get it to work?
jax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #9
dbaldwi3

just tried again using a different web browser same results
Old 03-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #10
Bob C

Strange, I just looked and it's not there now. I clicked on log in/register and in
the upper left corner is said change password. You put snyders in the top box
and your new password in the next two boxes.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:22 PM   #11
Bill G

My experience was the same, but I called them and talked to their person Jeff who said the change your password button was taken off the page because they had a problem with it and it was supposed to be resolved in short order. In the meantime, he offered to me that I could either keep the snyders password until the button was back or he could put a different password in for me. I chose to have him put in a temporary password of my choice and then when the dust settles, I will go in and re-do it again.

Jeff was very pleasant to deal with and very apologetic over the issue.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #12
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
...and any credit card info on file.
I don't think Snyder's stores your Credit Card info. You have to give it everytime you order, unlike some sites.

But still, it does make you worry a little...

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:43 AM   #13
Garagekulture13

I was able to change my password yesterday a little after 11am with no issue.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Garagekulture13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:53 AM   #14
dbaldwi3

Go to website [url]https://snydersantiqueauto.com then login using your email and Snyder’s password then type /changePassword in address bar after .com and press enter this will take you to the change password page where you can enter the info this worked for me this morning!!

Last edited by dbaldwi3; 03-23-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:44 AM   #15
Afordman31

Their password change is working!
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:33 PM   #16
holdover

Strange, I have been a customer for a couple of years and have ordered over 10K $ in parts, I did not get an email, and can't sign in
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:49 AM   #17
TMB

Follow dbaldwi3 advice. Allows you to get around the glitch some are having.
TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:35 PM   #18
JT1930

Even if someone can see your orders or your mailing address does it really matter!? I mean people on here post their address and personal phone numbers. Not to mention send checks by mail to someone selling a part not knowing the other person from a hole in the wall. There’s a lot of stand up people in this forum but it only takes one scammer to get your money and no part for your self. Basically are you really worried about someone seeing your orders and address vs what goes on here and not using paypal that is a secure way of buying parts.
JT1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:19 PM   #19
PalAl

Quote:
Hi folks,

If you have an account at Snyder's, you probably got an email on Weds. announcing that they were re-launching their website and giving all users the same temporary password. This is not great security practice as it is, but the real problem is that as of right now the function to change your password on the new site does not work. Thus everyone is stuck with the same password, and anyone who knew the email address you used to register could potentially log in and view your account, order history, mailing address, etc.

If this bothers you (maybe it doesn't!), you can give them a call, speak to Jeff, and ask him to set your new password manually. I'm sure they'll have the reset function working soon, but I just wanted to alert folks in case anyone has privacy concerns.
I changed mine a couple of days ago without a hitch, just checked it again and it works fine. I followed their instructions and the change over went smooth. Perhaps the problem is on your end....?
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:37 AM   #20
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1930 View Post
Even if someone can see your orders or your mailing address does it really matter!? I mean people on here post their address and personal phone numbers. Not to mention send checks by mail to someone selling a part not knowing the other person from a hole in the wall. There’s a lot of stand up people in this forum but it only takes one scammer to get your money and no part for your self. Basically are you really worried about someone seeing your orders and address vs what goes on here and not using paypal that is a secure way of buying parts.
Identity theft is a real problem in this world, unfortunately.

Every piece of paper with our address on it goes in the compost for the worms to digest, so it never leaves our property.

I hope they work out who has and who hasn't changed their password soon and sets those with a known password to some difficult to guess jibberish so the account is locked.

PS. I don't have an account.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote