Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-20-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
bobmc

Default 31 Slant window pass door lock

First let me apologize now incase this get long winded. To begin with this is my front passenger door on my 31 slant window sedan. In the normal operating position the door handle is in the 4:00 position. To open the door from inside the car I push down on the handle moving it from 4:00 to 5:00. I am also able to open the door from the outside using the scroll door handle. Now when in the car if I lift up on the door handle moving it from the 4:00 to 3:00 position the door is locked and I am not able to open it from outside. When I purchased the car the original door key was not included. I purchased a locking door handle from one of the known vendors and installed it today. The way that handle works is the lock tab engages in the escutcheon on the outside of the door preventing the door handle from turning. There is no connection between the outside and inside other than the square shaft that engages in the door latch. So if the inside handle is in the 4:00 position I can lock the car from the outside with the key. BUT if I lift up on the inside door handle moving it from 4:00 to 3:00 I am not able to open the car from the outside.
Basically I am locked out of the car!

What am I missing? Or is this normal operation? Do I need to disengage the 4:00 to 3:00 movement of the inside door handle? If so how is the accomplished.

Thank you for all replies.
bobmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
Oldbluoval

Default Re: 31 Slant window pass door lock

There is a limiter in the housing on the passenger side that does not allow one to move to 3 pm and thus lock it to where the handle wont allow entry from the outside. Yours may have been worked on in the past or worn (that usually doesn't wear). I probably have a picture that I can post over the holidays.
Oldbluoval is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
bobmc

Thanks

A picture would be very helpful.

Have a great holiday
Old 11-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
jw hash

oldbluoval is right on, the right front door were ALL made originally so they could NOT be locked from the inside. there is a stop on the remote. sometimes when I rework the latches and remotes the customers want to be able to lock the door on the inside, so I cut the stop off.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #5
bobmc

any pictures would be appreciated. I am unfamiliar with the lock mechanism.

This is the first slant window I have had the opportunity to work on.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:38 AM   #6
MrBruce

Bob
When I got my 31 S/W Town Sedan I was told that you could switch the drivers side front with the passenger side rear and the same on the other side. After some time that it was done, I was locked out of the car and the key and passenger side door handle would not unlock the car. I tried to get the front window open and broke the glass (live and learn)..Someone on the (Ford Barn) mentioned the same thing happened on a tour in their club to the same model car...Then someone answered that you can't move the passenger side latch to the left rear as their is a tab that is specific to the right front door because of the lock. I have the pictures of this issue on my phone and can send them to you. Send me a private message with your email or phone and I will send the picture to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmc View Post
First let me apologize now incase this get long winded. To begin with this is my front passenger door on my 31 slant window sedan. In the normal operating position the door handle is in the 4:00 position. To open the door from inside the car I push down on the handle moving it from 4:00 to 5:00. I am also able to open the door from the outside using the scroll door handle. Now when in the car if I lift up on the door handle moving it from the 4:00 to 3:00 position the door is locked and I am not able to open it from outside. When I purchased the car the original door key was not included. I purchased a locking door handle from one of the known vendors and installed it today. The way that handle works is the lock tab engages in the escutcheon on the outside of the door preventing the door handle from turning. There is no connection between the outside and inside other than the square shaft that engages in the door latch. So if the inside handle is in the 4:00 position I can lock the car from the outside with the key. BUT if I lift up on the inside door handle moving it from 4:00 to 3:00 I am not able to open the car from the outside.
Basically I am locked out of the car!

What am I missing? Or is this normal operation? Do I need to disengage the 4:00 to 3:00 movement of the inside door handle? If so how is the accomplished.

Thank you for all replies.
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #7
Oldbluoval

Yep, its in the remote and the right side front has the detente built in.
Oldbluoval is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #8
160B

Here is a photo of two door latches; the one on the right has the detente for the RH side locking door handle with the detent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020157_LI cropped.jpg (55.3 KB, 40 views)

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #9
bobmc

First Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Thanks to all that responded. My door latch did not have the tab to prevent the movement to lock the door. So I welded a square nut to the assembly preventing the movement in that direction. Pictures were a big help.

Thanks

Bob