Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
oldsman41

Smile weber carb

is anyone running the weber carb and manifold they sell at mikes or brattons? if so do you like it? have pictures of it on the engine? iam thinking of new carbs but cant decide which way to go thanks
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
mrtexas

Default Re: weber carb

I run one. The only difference from a Tilly is that you've got a lot more pedal at 45mph.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
Logan

Ive got one sitting on the engine on the stand, but havent tried it out yet. Everyone i know that has one, LOVES them. No they arent the prettiest thing ever, but they work really good. I bought the reproduction original style exhaust manifold from snyders and both manifolds matched up nicely. Another option that alot of people run is either the cast iron performance manifold or the tube headers. The weber is in my opinion probably the best 2 barrel carb you can put on the model a. It only uses one barrel in the city, or at cruizing speed. Then once you punch it, it opens the second barrel which is significantly larger throat size. So your going to get pretty good gas milage, and you will see a performance up grade.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:53 AM   #4
john in illinois

I am going to get one. Piranios dyno shows 18% peak hp gain on stock engine.Arizona Model A sells the kit with the carb jetted for the A. He also sells the correct low pressure fuel pump. Phone 480-782-0226
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
John LaVoy

We installed our first Weber on a Model A about 7 years ago. We got better gas mileage and performance. In the Fall 2009 issue of the Model A Times we wrote up installing one in the roadster using a 6V fuel pump there are pictures on the installation there. We have one on the sedan that went to Texas a couple of years ago so you can see we are big fans. The last one we bought from Arizona Model A parts 480-782-0226
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
Purdy Swoft

Too complicated for me and I don't like the look. I also figured if it developed problems it would be an expensive throw away. I run dual updrafts on two of my model A's and love it. I have worked on model A carburetors since I was a kid and dual updrafts have the old school look.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
V4F

i would like to trade 2 97's / zepher manifold for one with intake for a header .. thank you .. steve

Old 07-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
ChicagoBob

I tried one, and it did have noticeably more power at high rpm, but I never could figure out how to start the engine quickly, and I didn't like the fuel pump plumbing and wiring. Also, I'd ask how it performs in cold weather without manifold heating.
ChicagoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
I am going to get one. Piranios dyno shows 18% peak hp gain on stock engine.Arizona Model A sells the kit with the carb jetted for the A. He also sells the correct low pressure fuel pump. Phone 480-782-0226

So it made 47.2 HP on the dyno?
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #10
john in illinois

here is the link.

http://modelaparts.net/dynosheets.htm/web3236.htm
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #11
Purdy Swoft

Steve Norcal, not sure exactly what you want. I have a good Zepher aluminum intake with a single model 94 carb and linkage and three spare 94 carbs if that is what you want I would trade. Thanks, Purdy.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #12
Mike_Ovale

I’m using this weber carb setup for some time and found it to be very reliable using a low pressure carter electric pump. My pump is mounted inside the frame and kind out of sight under an aluminum shield and is very quiet. It’s not hard to start you just really choke it and it just takes off. Power and mileage is very good about 20 MPG touring with some hills.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2230a.jpg (79.3 KB, 390 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2231a.jpg (68.8 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg CarterPump.jpg (41.8 KB, 248 views)
Mike_Ovale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Ovale View Post
I’m using this weber carb setup for some time and found it to be very reliable using a low pressure carter electric pump. My pump is mounted inside the frame and kind out of sight under an aluminum shield and is very quiet. It’s not hard to start you just really choke it and it just takes off. Power and mileage is very good about 20 MPG touring with some hills.

Mike
Hey mike, whats that sheild for between the carb and the exhaust manifold. Im sure its serves as a heat sheild, but ive never heard any problems with the webers getting too hot
Old 07-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #14
Mike_Ovale

Logan

I made a shield just for the summer time but it’s really not needed so I just leave it in place. The weber needs some kind of hot air intake to keep from getting to cold so some year I’ll make up something.

Mike
Old 07-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #15
Dave in MN

Smile Weber carb vs. other options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Too complicated for me and I don't like the look. I also figured if it developed problems it would be an expensive throw away. I run dual updrafts on two of my model A's and love it. I have worked on model A carburetors since I was a kid and dual updrafts have the old school look.
I'm with you on the "old school look" and have an updraft intake with two "B" carbs ready to be fitted to an engine I have half assembled. I might hear it roar this weekend if other things don't get in the way.

Regarding a Weber carb...I recently supplied an engine that was fitted with a Weber along with a few other mods. The engine produced a bit over 62hp on Bill Stipe's dyno. You can study the dyno report if you are interested.
See the dyno report at: www.durableperformance.net
The Dyno Report link is located on my Pricing page directly below the Touring Engine info. Just "click" on the DYNO REPORT link to view.

Good Day!
Dave in MN
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #16
Michael in Sedona

Quote:

Mike
Mike,

How did you wire the fuel pump? Does it run whenever the ignition is on, or is there a switch? I have a master electrical cut-off switch. Should I connect it to the master so it runs a couple of seconds before starting? Thanks.
Michael in Sedona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #17
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Weber carb vs. other options

Thanks Dave, Good luck with the dual B carb updraft. I really like mine. I can really feel the power in the speedster when it reaches the rpm for the high speed jets to cut in. I had to put a spring on the choke of the back carb or it would draw the choke closed if I gave it full throttle.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #18
Mike_Ovale

To: Michael in Sedona,

My Model A has a 12 negative ground system. The fuel pump connects to the ignition switch the same as for the coil but has its own fuse. No need for a separate fuel pump switch or priming before starting but all cars should have a master switch also. The Weber will run from tanks gravity feed but will starve out driving. I found the best pump is a Carter P60504 low pressure its quiet and is available 6 or 12 volts pos or negative setup.
Mike Ovale
Old 07-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #19
Michael in Sedona

Quote:
To: Michael in Sedona,

My Model A has a 12 negative ground system. The fuel pump connects to the ignition switch the same as for the coil but has its own fuse. No need for a separate fuel pump switch or priming before starting but all cars should have a master switch also. The Weber will run from tanks gravity feed but will starve out driving. I found the best pump is a Carter P60504 low pressure its quiet and is available 6 or 12 volts pos or negative setup.
Mike Ovale
Thanks Mike. I'm also running 12V neg ground, and will follow your advice. I've had the complete set-up on the shelf for about 4 years, and just haven't gotten to it.
Michael in Sedona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:29 AM   #20
Don Conklin

If your running an electric fuel pump don't forget to install an inertia switch to shut off the pump incase of an accident. Late model Fords used them to shut off the pumps on fuel injected cars. I wired mine to not only shut off the fuel but also a solenoid valve in the fuel line.
Don Conklin is offline   Reply With Quote