Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Greg out west

Question U-Joint grease fitting

Hi Guy's,

Pulled the rear axle out the other day to replace the "Foreign Shackel's". I had filled the U-joint housing thru the grease fitting..Somebody said the fitting was to only grease the clam shell,,,

I must say the grease was coming out of the U-joint "housing" pretty good,,, The drive shalf area was packed full of grease...

I'am thinking as the U-joint goe's around it throw's grease everywhere..Now where did that idea that the fitting isn't for the U-joint come from ?.

Greg out West,,
Greg out west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: U-Joint grease fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg out west View Post

Somebody said the fitting was to only grease the clam shell
Never heard that. While I would not use the fitting for greasing for the first time, I don't recall ever hearing that the fitting was not for the entire u-joint assembly.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
Bjerg_Menneskene

I remember the same discussion / argument, All I can say is based on the location of the grease fitting it is apparent to me that it was intended to lubricate the u-joint primarily and possibly the clamshell passively. (The clamshell, brake components, battery, muffler bearing are all lubricated by Fords patented "passive chassis lubrication system" - known to some as a rear main bearing leak)
Bjerg_Menneskene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
pat in Santa Cruz

I cannot find any specific directions for U joint lubrication in the service bulletins for Model A or the Owners Manual. However, the 1932 Service Bulletins for Model B's (and common sense) says to "fill the U joint housing" with grease. I always pack it with close to 1# of grease when installing it. I pack most of the rest of the pound into the torque tube. Once its all assembled, I use the grease gun to top it off. If you remove the rear speedometer housing bolt prior to greasing the U joint, you will know you have filled it when using a grease gun when the grease begins to come out the bolt hole.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Ditto what Pat said.

The same clamshell grease zerk also lubricates the inner ball socket on the 1928 brakes with the split shaft. There is a groove cut into one half of the clamshell which leads to the socket supports.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote