Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #1
Vonn

Default 1932 original tailpipe

Does anyone have a good picture of an original '32 tailpipe that goes through the rear cross member. I'd like to make one as close to the original as possible but I haven't been able to find one to use as example, so now maybe a picture will help.
Vonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: 1932 original tailpipe

Maybe this thread will help.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...exhaust+system
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:56 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

I looked in the Green Bible but found nothing useful. You might look at the pipe in some of the lubrication charts. Also it you added your general location someone might have one.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:06 PM   #4
DavidG

It consisted of two pipes that joined at the opening in the rear cross member which were clamped together and held in place by the attachment of the clamp to the front lip of the cross member. The short pipe shown below has compound curves, but fortunately they are both in the same plane. The long pipe running from the rear of the muffler to the rear cross member also has compound curves, but not in the same plane. Accordingly, the two dimensional photos below of the long pipe are only partially helpful in the making of a duplicate. You likely can obtain a copy of the original engineering drawings of the two pipes from the Benson Ford Research Center in Dearborn to achieve your objective.

The upper of the two long pipes in the photos is the very early version which fit into the very early version of the muffler. The lower of the two long pipes is the one used for nearly all of the '32 model year. The front of that pipe fits over the pipe at the back of the muffler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg misc. 113-1.jpg (47.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg misc. 106.jpg (68.3 KB, 11 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:09 PM   #5
Vonn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
It consisted of two pipes that joined at the opening in the rear cross member which were clamped together and held in place by the attachment of the clamp to the front lip of the cross member. The short pipe shown below has compound curves, but fortunately they are both in the same plane. The long pipe running from the rear of the muffler to the rear cross member also has compound curves, but not in the same plane. Accordingly, the two dimensional photos below of the long pipe are only partially helpful in the making of a duplicate. You likely can obtain a copy of the original engineering drawings of the two pipes from the Benson Ford Research Center in Dearborn to achieve your objective.

The upper of the two long pipes in the photos is the very early version which fit into the very early version of the muffler. The lower of the two long pipes is the one used for nearly all of the '32 model year. The front of that pipe fits over the pipe at the back of the muffler.
Thanks DavidG, those pictures are very helpful. The clamp at the crossmember, do you know if that's available at the usual vendors?

I'm near Nashville Tn if anyone has a tailpipe in most any condition I could copy.

Thanks
Vonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:15 PM   #6
DavidG

Original clamps are about as hard to find as the pipes, especially the long one. No one is reproducing the pipes at the present time to my knowledge, at least not with the original mandrel-formed bends without kinks in the pipes as would be the case from your local muffler shop. You can create the '32 rear clamp by modifying one of the '33-'34 clamps or others that have an extended 'tail'. The '33-'34 clamps are reproduced. Given your location, I recommend that you check with Michael Driskell at Third Gen Automotive in McMinnville to see what he has that might assist you.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #7
35fordtn

I have a original tail pipe that We could draw out on cardboard (with respect I wish it to not leave my possesion given how hard it was to find. I also have made some of the clamps in reproduction form. I am a mere 45 miles from Nashville.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote