Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2020, 05:44 AM   #21
39portlander

Default Re: Low oil pressure solved

Ken, good find and a great thread/reminder. It goes further than a flathead, most if not all our trades people fall in to this "learning curve".

With out proper supervision and being an apprentice of sorts, if you don't know you made a mistake and learn from it you will keep making that mistake.

As Sal said best, "mistakes happen, If it happens on a regular basis that's a different story".
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:15 AM   #22
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
John, of course we all agree, so why are you yelling?
FYI ALAN, because when I quote someone's post.... I normally type my response in bold so it does not appear as part of the quote.... that's not considered to be "YELLING" by most folks... YELLING WOULD NORMALLY BE CONSIDERED WHEN USING ALL CAPS, this could either be in BOLD or not in BOLD.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:24 AM   #23
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39portlander View Post
Ken, good find and a great thread/reminder. It goes further than a flathead, most if not all our trades people fall in to this "learning curve".

With out proper supervision and being an apprentice of sorts, if you don't know you made a mistake and learn from it you will keep making that mistake.

As Sal said best, "mistakes happen, If it happens on a regular basis that's a different story".
I understand this logic, but if it’s the shop I think it is you are paying for a premium product. Someone should be inspecting an apprentices work if that’s the case.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:42 AM   #24
Frank Miller

A friend once said, the difference between an experienced and novice technician is the experienced one has alredy burned someone else's equipment.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:46 AM   #25
KGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I understand this logic, but if it’s the shop I think it is you are paying for a premium product. Someone should be inspecting an apprentices work if that’s the case.

Well, even at the "Big Three", there are Monday cars and Friday cars.
Maybe the "apprentice" was on his way to get the tool to press that bushing into the block when someone stopped him to offer a roll of toilet paper or hand sanitizer at a "good price"...
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:13 AM   #26
Kurt in NJ

Years ago we started to have some cars towed in with wheels that fell off, they all had one thing in common. They just got tires put on at the local warehouse club-- eventually we asked the guy running the tire department--- his answer---"we put hundreds of tires on each day, a few are goin to fall off"

In the Ford engine rebuilding book it says every engine should get a oil pressure check--- before the pan is put on, a pressure pot is to be connected to the oil gallery, and oil dripping is to be monitored, --- everything should drip, but steady stream is a problem
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:40 AM   #27
ford38v8

Well shucks, John, as my post didn't actually quote you, how come you're so sure I meant YOU?

EDIT~ I'm just funning with you, John, have another cup of coffee!

Last edited by ford38v8; 03-23-2020 at 08:05 AM.
ford38v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:40 AM   #28
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGS View Post
Maybe the "apprentice" was on his way to get the tool to press that bushing into the block when someone stopped him to offer a roll of toilet paper or hand sanitizer at a "good price"...
Haha. Could be and totally understand. Which is why that tiny detail of driving a bushing down 1/4" more that could have wiped out a brand new motor would be infuriating if I was the customer.

In this game of big dollar, non-essential toys, most businesses can only afford so many "come backs" before folks start going elsewhere.

Let's face, no one really needs a high-dollar flathead. If that's your bread and butter, you better make sure people are getting what they pay for.

I'm making a lot of assumptions as to which shop it is, but this is not the first time issues with quality control have been brought up.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 03-23-2020 at 07:50 AM.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:10 AM   #29
flatheadmurre

And on top of lack of pride in the work or stress or what else it is...we have to deal with failing new parts...
Had a brand new oilpump push out the lower bushing due to the fact it had to little pressfit...thought the days of bad oilpumps was history...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #30
TomT/Williamsburg

Good catch Ken - now miles of smiles for your friend!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:12 PM   #31
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGS View Post
LOL, or maybe he was on his way to the bathroom, and someone stopped him with TP and hand sanitizer telling him he may need these items because the dispensers were all empty, and as he was taking care of business, somebody pushed the button, and moved the assembly line forward ...

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:59 PM   #32
Aarongriffey

I really appreciate posts that warn us of things like that.
Thank Ken.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:21 PM   #33
Aarongriffey

Reminds me of one I was involved in.
I was working at a new car dealer in St.Paul. in 1966 the dealer in Minneapolis sent over a car to our dealership for me to find out why it had circulation but no oil pressure. They had tried oil pumps, rod bearings, relief valves filters, I don’t know what all, but they had given up.
It was a three liter straight six pushrod engine. Brand new car, had not been sold yet.
The first thing I did was pull the radiator and timing cover. I thought maybe the chain tensioner had been left out. It was in there.
I watched the front while another guy turned on the key and pushed the starter button. It fired the first turn and shot a pint of oil under my work bench.
It turned out there was no front main bearing insert on top of the crank! The factory had set the crank in without it.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:51 PM   #34
Mart

Lol at that one^^^
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote