Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2019, 07:51 AM   #1
History

Default 1930 gas gauge rebuild and placing orders

I'm getting ready to place "another" order and wanted to ask what you think I need for the gauge rebuild. The tank is bone dry and the cork , atleast I think it's a cork float is shriveled up to almost nothing. I believe I should use the synthetic float as a replacement and since I'll have the gauge out what should I plan on replacing? Would you just get the kit from Snyders that includes the glass or would I be wise to buy the entire kit with arm, gauge and all parts for $40-something? Mine seems ok but I'm sure the gaskets are all dried out. I did vacuum the debris out of the tank but I'm sure there's more beyond the baffles.

I will get a steel wrench while I'm at it for removal.

While I'm placing this order I plan on ordering some 600w. Does Snyders carry this or should I order somewhere else? I found it on amazon from macs at $14 (free shipping). Macs has it listed for $8 I believe but I'm not sure what shipping would be.

The shipping on these orders is starting to be as much as an expense as the items. Advice would be appreciated on how you organize your orders. I assume some vendors are better for certain things?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0873.jpg (42.1 KB, 40 views)
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
ryanheacox

Default Re: 1930 gas gauge rebuild and placing orders

I would rebuild the gauge you have assuming it's in good shape otherwise. Have heard from various places that repro gauges can be junk. New gaskets, a float and maybe some cleaning should fix you right up.

600W varies between vendors. Brattons is good, dark, sticky and no sulfur gear oil smell. Macs on the other hand seems like just SAE140 gear oil that they put in their own bottles, looks and smells just like regular gear oil. Have not ordered 600W from Snyders but their stuff is probably just as good as Brattons.

Now, as far as shipping I have found Bert's to be by far the most reasonable. Generally half what the other guys charge.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:04 AM   #3
daveymc29

I would try to get the thin cork gaskets. don't know why you would replace glass, just clean it well, unless is is chipped or cracked. Replacement is probably plastic and may yellow in time. Follow the directions. I would say you lucked out on vacuuming the gas tank. That often ends poorly with an explosive fireball where your vacuum used to be.
Buy a Lotto ticket soon.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:30 AM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Ensure you get the cork gaskets and not the neoprene. Also get the brass 'slip' rings, not the blue paper ones.

How do the numbers and pointer look? You may want to repaint them while you have it apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
I did vacuum the debris out of the tank but I'm sure there's more beyond the baffles.
You said your tank is dry but as Davey said always be careful using a vacuum in a tank that has had gas in it.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 07-26-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #5
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
The shipping on these orders is starting to be as much as an expense as the items. Advice would be appreciated on how you organize your orders. I assume some vendors are better for certain things?
Shipping just got worse now that the vendors are required to charge sales tax also.

On June 21, 2018 the United States Supreme Court ruled on South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc. This ruling requires sellers, such as Snyder's Antique Auto Parts, to withhold Sales Tax based on the shipping destination for an order and that destination's tax requirements.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #6
jmalex1929

I used a cork casket with ethanol gas and it caused the gasket to deuterate. I used the neoprene gaskey
jmalex1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:14 AM   #7
The Master Cylinder

I used a neoprene gasket in my fuel filter with the glass bowl once and it came out about twice the size as when I put it in. It swelled so much it blocked the holes in the WIX 33039 filter I had installed.

The cork gaskets are a cork/neoprene combo and don't swell.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:21 PM   #8
History

Default Re: 1930 gas gauge rebuild and placing order

Thanks for the replies. I had read about the dangers of vacuuming a gas tank out. I reasoned that since the tank didn't have any gas smell that most of the fumes had dissipated. The gasket was shot on the gas tank lid and I'm not sure how long it had sat. I've had gas tanks welded before but didn't do the welding.. The welder who was a great friend of mine was a long time welder who had done nuclear work and had also been an instructor. This guy understood metal and how to stick it together. He explained that the problem welding gas tanks is the metal is porous and absorbs the gas and then it off gases the fumes. He used something to kill the oxygen in the tank thereby keeping one part of fuel from and explosion. I hid behind his shearing equipment as he welded the tank. ,,, So I didn't vacuum without any concerns. The vacuum was outside my shop with two hoses together so just in case,,,,,,,,

Thanks for the advice on the 600w as I hate the smell you mentioned.

Thanks to everyone who replied.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:47 PM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

As long as the tank is dry, install a pencil filter in the Gas Shut Off Valve if you do not have one installed.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote