Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2017, 09:52 AM   #1
bobioknight

Default What's your average trip, and furthest distance traveled?

Hey guys, I am just getting comfortable running distances, I have only traveled approx 20 miles from home, now that I have been a couple trips under my belt without issues (past issues do to dirty fuel tank). I am curious if the 30 mile radius is pretty common, or if you all generally go further distances. If so, what trips do you make, also, do you take supplies?
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
50fordcoupeman

Default Re: What's your average trip, and furthest distance traveled?

Had to learn to trust our car. It has '77 302 in it which had plenty of issues when we got it. Those are all fixed now. Drive it whenever we can locally. Occasional trip to nearby town which is 100 miles round trip. I have basic tools in the car but nothing major. We now just have fun with it!!
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #3
dmsfrr

Our T-Bird club has monthly activities (usually to lunch, haha) and the round trip is most often under 30 miles, except the one at the end of this month (150 miles). In June some of the folks are headed to a big Fathers Day car show in Durango Colorado, about a 240 mile round trip.
Late last summer a few of us did a 1600 mile round trip to San Diego for a CTCI convention. Three restored T-Birds; two 55's, an E code '56, and an unrestored/original '57. The '57 split the water pump bypass hose in northern Ariz and was squirting from a radiator seam in southern Ariz. With a new hose and some JB Weld it had no other problems, unless you count the leaky o-ring in the fuel filler neck.
The E code '56 developed a transmission leak if you tried to keep it full, but never got below a qt low.
I drove an OT car with a floor jack in the trunk, and air conditioning.

When I first got my retirement project '55 I drove it 20 miles across town (dying at every stop) to a car show on opening day of the state fair, got a 2nd place ribbon and discovered the distributor was full of aluminum filings. Made it home somehow and pulled the engine out to replace it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg antifreeze.jpg (91.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 110 in Phx.jpg (67.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg checking trans fluid.jpg (76.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg sea level to 4000 ft.jpg (33.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg parking lot.jpg (66.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg at state fair.jpg (37.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-05-2017 at 07:19 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #4
5851a

Smile Re: What's your average trip, and furthest distance traveled?

Do not carry any cash or credit cards in your wallet, your drivers seat does a CAT scan every time you set in it and relays the info to the rest of the car. The repairs/towing/etc. will be almost exactly 3 times what you are carrying. My longest trip was Hollywood from NE Iowa with a 2 week old rebuild on engine. Alternator died 30 miles from home, but I was younger and a lot more naive so it was all ok.

Last edited by 5851a; 04-12-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Forgot trip
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #5
okiedokie

6200 miles in my 40 coupe, 1500 in my 53 F100, none on my 55 Sunliner but it will see long trips also.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #6
paul2748

My longest trip in my 56 Bird was 6300 miles. From NJ to Portland OR and down to San Jose CA to a CTCI convention.. We (two others in their early Birds) spent about 5 weeks, stopping at different places on the way out and the way back, one stop on the way back being another CTCI convention is Des Moines, IA and Reno for Hot August Nights. It was a great trip and the only problem was a regulator that went bad (had a spare with me).

The first long trip was similar, from NJ to OR but was a quick trip out and back. At that time, I had the car on the road less than a year and it was before I restored it. No problems at all. Another great trip. Pic shown is the Columbia River on OR.

Also made shorter trips to various CTCI conventions in other parts of the U.S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0442.JPG (128.2 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by paul2748; 04-12-2017 at 08:26 PM.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:38 PM   #7
Daves55Sedan

I dove this '55, 60 mile (minimum) round trips five days a week, every week from 1984 thru end of 2015. The engine was rebuilt in '84 and it had a valve job in '92. Aside from usual little 15 minute repair jobs like carb replacement, generator overhaul, fuel pump replacement, it hasn't gotten anything beyond regular maintenance. I do not carry tools in the car except the standard jack and spare tire.
In all those years, the only break down on the road was a flat tire one time. After I let the jack down on the spare tire, she was flat as a pancake, and behold, a fellow stopped his '85 Crown Vic along the shoulder and let me use his battery operated air compressor to air up the old spare. Isn't that amazing?
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:52 AM   #8
bobss396

I'm still sorting my '59 Ford out and had 1200 miles on it prior to my 10/1/16 heart attack. So the car has sat and I didn't do much on it over the winter, maybe put another 200 miles on it.

This year I have changed the fan, new cast aluminum valve covers, replaced burned wires, quieter mufflers, new rear springs and shackles, the new posi should go in on Saturday. My normal rides are a radius of 10 to 15 miles and a mix of speeds. I just started to carry a floor jack and some simple tools with me.

Next up is to install the door seals, with the quiet mufflers I hear everything.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:24 AM   #9
Daves55Sedan

Back in '96, I built a '55 Courier basically from the ground up. There was nothing left of it but the frame, front suspension and the main body with the doors. Doghouse and drivetrain were gone. It took four years to do body-off frame repairs. Had to replace all floors, inner & outer rockers and rear fenders half way up. I went with a 223 and Fordomatic. It came from factory with 272 (162 hp) and Fordomatic. I converted it to 12-volts using '56 parts. Once I got the fuel system straightened out, it became a dependable ride, but it is a pile of garbage to try to drive especially if you want to take the highway. The front end develops road shimmy between 45-48 MPH, then once you get up to 60 MPH, the whole car shakes violently, till you get to about 65 MPH due to converter or driveshaft imbalance. And those old 710-15 tires make the car a death trap on a windy day. If you just wanna run around town at 30 MPH, its great and starts every time. Don't carry any tools in it either, besides jack and spare tire. I just use it for trash hauling and firewood hauling, etc.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:55 AM   #10
bobioknight

Love the Picts and stories, one of my first trips, I drove the Tbird about 20 miles to a meeting, pulling up into the driveway I picked up a bolt right into the middle of my tire. What is the chances of that, well the jack was pretty worthless, I mean it works but it popped off the bumper while I was loosening the nuts. That was scary, The local tire store did not have tires in my size so I had to air up the spare tire which I think was the original 1957 tire and drive slowly home. What a squirley ride too, but it held up all the way home.

So I can see why many posts include references to floor jacks. I will carry one on my next trip for sure. I carry a couple screw drivers, set of wrenches, tape and a flashlight.

Planning on a 200 mile trip up the coast next week near San Diego. Excited but nervous too. I hope DW enjoys herself, not sure if I should put the top on or leave it off. Might be a bit too much sun, wind, noise, traffic... How do your wives do on long trips with the top off?
Old 04-14-2017, 10:48 AM   #11
bobss396

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobioknight View Post
Love the Picts and stories, one of my first trips, I drove the Tbird about 20 miles to a meeting, pulling up into the driveway I picked up a bolt right into the middle of my tire. What is the chances of that, well the jack was pretty worthless, I mean it works but it popped off the bumper while I was loosening the nuts. That was scary, The local tire store did not have tires in my size so I had to air up the spare tire which I think was the original 1957 tire and drive slowly home. What a squirley ride too, but it held up all the way home.

So I can see why many posts include references to floor jacks. I will carry one on my next trip for sure. I carry a couple screw drivers, set of wrenches, tape and a flashlight.

Planning on a 200 mile trip up the coast next week near San Diego. Excited but nervous too. I hope DW enjoys herself, not sure if I should put the top on or leave it off. Might be a bit too much sun, wind, noise, traffic... How do your wives do on long trips with the top off?
You may get some stares from truckers, I'd suggest some sunscreen as well if the sun is out.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:46 PM   #12
paul2748

Looking for a jack? Here is a nice one, electric (plug into your lighter). A couple of my TBird club members have one and they really work nice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0002.jpg (41.2 KB, 29 views)
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:33 PM   #13
bobioknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss396 View Post
You may get some stares from truckers, I'd suggest some sunscreen as well if the sun is out.
Lol, thanks. Yes I am sure we would get stares. Hey, it's San Diego, the sun is always out.

Last edited by bobioknight; 04-15-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #14
bobioknight

So our trip went great!! decided to leave the top off, cranked up our 50's era music with great old commercials... Turned up the heater for the morning drive and she just purred at 2300 rpm (approx 60mph darn speedo sticks at 55) all the way up and down all the long fairly steep grades. Stopped for breakfast and she started right up (no vapor lock or dirty needle and seat), freeway drive and a few stop and go points the temp gauge never moved from its normal position... Cruising the 101 was a fun experience, maybe all the way up to Santa Barbara next time. On the way home was little different story, by now temps outside was 80 degrees and full sun, we were both getting hot and a bit sun and wind scorched. No complaints coming from either of us, but being able to pop a top up and turn on air conditioning on those long, hot freeway trips would be a huge plus. Our trip turned out to be 117 miles and the gauge is sitting around the ¾ mark. This is a huge increase to what it was like on our 40 mile trip using ½ tank. I will fill up to find out our average mileage.

Oh by the way, on a long steep grade near home, I excellerated and heard some pinging, gonna give it a tad less timing and recheck it.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:54 PM   #15
5851a

Always a bonus when you have no problems, the longer you have it the longer the trips will get. They used to be someone's everyday ride. Well maybe not a Thunderbird, always special.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:09 PM   #16
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobioknight View Post
I am curious if the 30 mile radius is pretty common, or if you all generally go further distances. If so, what trips do you make, also, do you take supplies?
This makes me re-analyze your question. I hope you are not attempting to gain TRUST in your vehicle to make longer trips based upon other members who have same or similar cars.
You gain trust in your car by knowing your own car, not necessarily what someone else's similar car is capable of, although I can see where you should be able to use this as a baseline for performance if these cars were all fresh off the showroom floor.
I know that my car could run clear down to Texas if I wanted to go, but I put every nut and bolt in it and I know I've got all the bugs worked out.
So I would have no fear in attempting to take the trip. I trust it. It is a product of my own labor, piece by piece. I happen to be a little bit OCD, perfectionist.
Questions I would ask might be; do you trust your Pertronix ignitor? Any indications of engine overheating? Carburator or other components of the fuel system maybe not quite up to snuff? Etc, etc...
Old 04-22-2017, 12:45 AM   #17
bobioknight

Well, I am pretty pleased to report that we ran an average of 13.5 mpg. I reduced my timing advance from 14* to 12* because of the ping that I heard on my way home.

5851, you got that right. Making it home with no issues is a huge bonus. Looking forward to the next big trip.

Dave, it just seems like people I know don't wander far from home with their classics, seems like most stay within 30 mile radius. I was curious if that is common with most owners. I think we are all somewhat OCD, these old cars are really a blast to drive, work on and look at. I can't wait to get home from work grab a beer, turn in the 1957's music and tinker on the car. Having no problems in this last trip has really opened us up for a much larger trip, but I sure wish I had air conditioning and a soft top.

Now that you mentioned it, I have heard pros and cons about the pertronix, so far I am happy with it, however I may begin to carry an extra one with me.

Last edited by bobioknight; 04-22-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:41 PM   #18
HOTRODPRIMER

In 2014 we drove our '54 Ranch wagon from South Carolina to Novi,Michigan and back for a total of 2,251 miles when we attended the '54 Ford Club of America convention.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:01 AM   #19
bobioknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODPRIMER View Post
In 2014 we drove our '54 Ranch wagon from South Carolina to Novi,Michigan and back for a total of 2,251 miles when we attended the '54 Ford Club of America convention.
What a beauty, must have been a fun trip.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:24 PM   #20
junkyardjeff

I drive my 55 sunliner from Dayton Ohio to Daytona Beach every other year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6899.jpg (94.0 KB, 1 views)
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote