Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2021, 08:57 PM   #1
Youngfordlover2007

Default Resto Question

Just a question since i am saving up to buy a Model T project

How Skillfull do you need to be for a semi resto (just making it run and a cheap paintjob) Since I know these are very simple cars but are there any hard-to-find parts and how many parts are reproduced?

Also Is it hard to find a good project under 7k???????? (note In western canada)
Youngfordlover2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:41 PM   #2
Alex Mcknz

Default Re: Resto Question

It's not easy to modify classic cars, finding parts is getting tough nowadays. I guess it really depends on the person's passion to restore and upgrade a car like Model T.
Alex Mcknz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:11 PM   #3
J Franklin

If you want a car that has parts you can find, the model T Ford is it. Millions were made and many millions of parts new and used are available to be had.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:58 AM   #4
Greg Jones

In today's market you should be able to find a quite decent Model T for less than $7K. That is true in my neck of the woods anyway, your mileage may vary. The demand is just not there to keep prices up, unless you are talking early brass Model T's. The Model T is deceptively simple.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:28 PM   #5
JoeBauer

Many, many people have told me how simple a Model T is to work on. BUT try to find a repair shop that can! They exist, but they are rare and you are not likely to be near one.

If you have some basic mechanical ability, basic tools, know about small engine repair, and have the manual you will find that you can troubleshoot and fix most problems. When you get stuck you can always ask a question here, or on FB, or on the Forum. Pictures often help.

Generally, parts are readily available.

And for 7K you should be able to find a nice running car that you can enjoy driving as you fix it up!
JoeBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:19 PM   #6
Youngfordlover2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
If you want a car that has parts you can find, the model T Ford is it. Millions were made and many millions of parts new and used are available to be had.
The thing is in my area People think model t's are some rare car and try to sell a rustbucket for more than 10k its Insane

Exhibit A https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...car/1580443267

16k for a 1927 Project Is just a scam

And you cant talk people down on prices because they saw a classic car auction and think they have gold
Old 08-13-2021, 07:00 PM   #7
Dodge

Drop over the border and buy one. You'll find plenty of black radiator cars in that price
range running.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:03 PM   #8
Youngfordlover2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
Drop over the border and buy one. You'll find plenty of black radiator cars in that price
range running.
the thing is i live kinda far away from the border and i dont have a Car
Old 08-13-2021, 08:47 PM   #9
J Franklin

Buy one and I'll drive it up for expenses if they will let me accross the border.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:35 PM   #10
Youngfordlover2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Buy one and I'll drive it up for expenses if they will let me accross the border.
Thanks but i was just inquiring about the market since im just saving up for a model t dont have enough
Old 08-14-2021, 04:34 PM   #11
redmodelt

If the $ amount you posted in the car for sale is what you are working with, you have a ways to go. In the meantime, learn about the Model T, and keep saving! More than a few of us were in the same boat, some still are. Before the internet, read what I could, looked at a few, collected some parts to play with. Then one day found one that I could afford, but it did need lots of work. Learned as I went fixing it. Still learning.
Old 08-14-2021, 05:04 PM   #12
A bones

Welcome to T world. If it comes to pass that you get a hold of one, I always like to give caution.

Here it is, say you get an electric start; and say, the day will come when You play with band adjustments, or more. With your fingers in the trans, lets think ahead and unhook the battery cable. A dear old timer gave me this advice cause one day he found his elbow depress the start button while he was guiding the band into place

Happy Hunting and Good Luck
Old 08-14-2021, 05:19 PM   #13
Youngfordlover2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
If the $ amount you posted in the car for sale is what you are working with, you have a ways to go. In the meantime, learn about the Model T, and keep saving! More than a few of us were in the same boat, some still are. Before the internet, read what I could, looked at a few, collected some parts to play with. Then one day found one that I could afford, but it did need lots of work. Learned as I went fixing it. Still learning.
Thanks for the advice
Old 08-24-2021, 02:05 PM   #14
Two-Gun Bob

Do you know anyone with an antique car? Even if it's not Model T-era they may know someone who is a T owner. From there you might be able to connect with someone who has a pile-o-parts or parts car that they would be willing to sell cheaply. With T's you can piece a car together from lots of individual parts and end up with a running car. You can build a basic speedster body with a minimum of metalworking skill or even from wood and end up with a decent looking car to get started and have fun with.
Two-Gun Bob is offline   Reply With Quote