Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2021, 04:24 PM   #1
JC60B

Default Mocha Brown

My ‘29 Fordor Leatherback uses Mocha Brown paint for the interior window trim. My problem is trying to find a proper code or color swatch. Online shows Mocha Brown and Moulding Grey with the same Dupont code N9235. And the color swatches I found are so dark that most look black. It would be nice if there was something close on the shelf but I don’t think that’s going to happen. I can get a spray bomb made up if I can get a proper code or color swatch though. Does anyone have a picture showing the proper color? And what is the proper paint code? Thanks.
JC60B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 06:18 PM   #2
Oldbluoval

Default Re: Mocha Brown

I understand but have not seen the new paint code book has bigger chips that can be scanned or matched to a dealers chip book
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:11 PM   #3
Doug Linden

Looking at the color samples of Mocha Brown and Moulding Gray in the MAFCA paint book, they are close but definitely not the same color as identified by the Dupont code you referenced.
Doug Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:58 PM   #4
chrs1961815

Do you have a sample of the original color on your parts that can be buffed a bit and matched?
Old 07-04-2021, 11:21 PM   #5
JC60B

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
Do you have a sample of the original color on your parts that can be buffed a bit and matched?
My trim pieces were too faded and rusty to get a colour sample.
But I did do some searching of old posts on the Forum and found one also about Mocha Brown paint. Turns out someone was able to match a colour right off the shelf in a spray bomb. He said Rustoleum Kona Brown is as close a match as you’d want.
JC60B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 01:21 AM   #6
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC60B View Post
My ‘29 Fordor Leatherback uses Mocha Brown paint for the interior window trim. My problem is trying to find a proper code or color swatch. Online shows Mocha Brown and Moulding Grey with the same Dupont code N9235. And the color swatches I found are so dark that most look black. It would be nice if there was something close on the shelf but I don’t think that’s going to happen. I can get a spray bomb made up if I can get a proper code or color swatch though. Does anyone have a picture showing the proper color? And what is the proper paint code? Thanks.
I have a 29 Standard Briggs Three Window Fordor 165 B. I found a dark brown original paint on the back side of my glass moldings. It is called MOCHA BROWN, I have been told this information can be found on P-12-18 of the Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards.
Having a driver I was satisfied with getting close to the Mocha Brown. I found that ACE Hardware Premium Gloss Enamel 17012 CHOCOLATE BROWN was about 1/2 shade off from my sample. After a good sanding and slight metal work I primed the trim with ACE Interior/Exterior RED OXIDE Primer, then a couple of coats of CHOCOLATE BROWN and finished it all with a couple of coats of ACE Interior/Exterior Gloss Enamel CLEAR. These were all 12 oz shaker cans. No I do not work for Ace.
I also found out the dash rail, header panel, windshield and windshield moldings are painted the upper body color. The gas tank, the lower body color, all window garnish moldings should be painted Mocha Brown. This was a no brainier for me as my Standard Fordor was Henry's favorite color BLACK.
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote