Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2018, 06:33 PM   #1
michael a

Default FedEx Freight

This may be a little off topic but then again it might be right on again. I ordered a mobile chair for my wife FedEx delivered it it weighed approximately 250 lb they would not unload it with the liftgate unless I paid a dollar a pound extra have any of you heard of this before. Frayed is stupid enough I'll be damned if I'm going to pay him to use the lift gate to me and FedEx will come to an end

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:49 PM   #2
dPokie

Send a message via AIM to dPokie Send a message via MSN to dPokie
Default Re: FedEx Freight

Lift gate is typically an extra charge. Usually only $30-$40. did they make you pay in cash? If they did then lodge a complaint against your shipment.
dPokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
michael a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dPokie View Post
Lift gate is typically an extra charge. Usually only $30-$40. did they make you pay in cash? If they did then lodge a complaint against your shipment.
They wanted $240 to do this I had to unhook my tractor from a baler put on my pallet Forks unload power chair hook my tractor back up to the Baylor and finish bailing because we had rain coming it's bad enough every time fuel goes up Freight goes up then fuel comes down but Freight stays up it only goes one way

Old 07-03-2018, 08:30 PM   #4
Synchro909

Isn’t it their job to deliver the chair? I would say the delivery isn’t done till it is unloaded. While it is still on the truck, it is still under their control, not yours so delivery hasn’t been completed. Strange, but a creative way to rip people for more money.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:42 PM   #5
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael a View Post
This may be a little off topic but then again it might be right on again. I ordered a mobile chair for my wife FedEx delivered it it weighed approximately 250 lb they would not unload it with the liftgate unless I paid a dollar a pound extra have any of you heard of this before. Frayed is stupid enough I'll be damned if I'm going to pay him to use the lift gate to me and FedEx will come to an end

Read the fine print on the order sheet..
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:45 PM   #6
daveymc29

Did you complain to FEDEX or just us? We really can't do much. I do think you got ripped. I always ask, "How much for cash." Price often drops substantially, though I have never felt the need with FedEx.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #7
midgetracer

i use Fed EX for small packages. It is usually cheaper than UPS and to this destination, it is about one day faster. I have not used Fed Ex freight so I cannot speak to heavy objects, but when I order things that need delivery by LTL, they always charge extra for a liftgate truck.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:56 PM   #8
michael a

I raised Cain with the driver he said he couldn't do anything but He told me where the number to call corporate was on the invoice and you can bet eight A.m. Monday morning and they are going to get an earful I'm sorry I meant Thursday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2018, 10:13 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

This is crazy. I never knew anyone would charge extra for using the lift gate. That's just part of the job and why it's there. A buck a pound is just plain stupid.

Did he also charge you a waiting fee for having to wait while you got the tractor?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:45 PM   #10
40 Deluxe

Was the driver running a scam, just putting the money in his pocket?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:25 AM   #11
TerryO

I can understand a small fee since they like all business's are trying to make a profit any way they can, but that is just ridiculous. It doesn't cost anything but 3 minutes to use the lift gate. His time would have been less than waiting for the tractor. Common sense is a rarity these days.
TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #12
Bob C

Found this on there web site. https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fe...les_Tariff.pdf

LIFTGATE SERVICE
LIFC, LIFP, LGOC, LGOP
The charges for this service will be paid by the party that requested the service, or guaranteed by Shipper. Carrier is not obligated to perform such
service when suitable vehicles equipped with such devices and operators are not available, or when such equipment is not available through a
contractor or rental agency. When liftgate equipment is not available and Carrier personnel utilizes alternate means to move the freight from the
vehicle to ground level, the liftgate charges named herein will apply. Services will only be rendered at locations that are safe and accessible to
the vehicle.
A.
Except as otherwise provided, when Carrier provides liftgate service, the charge will be $8.74 per cwt., subject to a minimum charge of $129.00
and a maximum charge of $426.00.
B.
When liftgate service is performed at points within the states of Alaska and Hawaii, the charges as found in this Item 890 paragraph 1.A will
not apply. For application and charges for this service in Alaska and Hawaii, refer to applicable tariff publications.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:00 PM   #13
DHZIEMAN

From the Fedex website....................LIFTGATE SERVICE: Item 890: $8.74 per hundredweight, $129 minimum charge, $426 maximum charge.
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #14
TerryO

Let's see, if my math is correct that should be $21.88, but my guess would be they would charge for 3 cwt so it would be $26.25. This is a far cry from $250.

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #15
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
Let's see, if my math is correct that should be $21.88, but my guess would be they would charge for 3 cwt so it would be $26.25. This is a far cry from $250.

TerryO
A.
Except as otherwise provided, when Carrier provides liftgate service, the charge will be $8.74 per cwt., subject to a minimum charge of $129.00
Old 07-04-2018, 01:56 PM   #16
Keith True

Delivery has always been to the back of the truck,or trailer.FOB.Freight on board.A charge for liftgate service is extra,but that has always been arranged first.i did get an engine delivered where the driver wanted money on the spot to unload.It was made very clear that everything was pre-paid,nobody here was going to have any way of paying.when the driver said we couldn't have the engine without paying we said fine,take it back with you.He left,we left,a couple hours later the engine was sitting on the concrete pad in front of the garage.In this case we suspect it was more of a paperwork error than a driver trying to get rich.I don't know about other places but the Fedex drivers here don't work on the payroll for Fedex,but are contract truckers and own their own trucks.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:22 PM   #17
Dennis Pereira

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael a View Post

Did you offer to help ? a couple of people could lift that off with no problem. Or did you tell the driver it was his job ?
Old 07-04-2018, 02:57 PM   #18
Keith True

Something really doesn't sound right.A lot of stuff used to go,freight COD.But with credit cards and such nowadays you don't see much of that.Package delivery is a different business,with different rules.They are supposed to go to your door.Freight on the other hand is something completely different.Drivers have to get it to the back of the truck,they are not even supposed to help you take it out of the back.I've driven a lot of trucks,and I would say 90% will give you a hand.Workmans comp for a driver will NOT cover him if he is standing on the ground helping you.YOU own him at that point.He would be on your homeowners or business insurance at that point.A ramp is not considered part of the truck,so in reality a driver should never help you slide something down one.A liftgate though is part of the truck.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:14 PM   #19
5lugnuts

You didn't get ripped. It's all about the law and risk of loss. It's customary for freight to be shipped FOB destination. Meaning free on board carrier to the destination. Title and risk of damage or loss remains with the carrier while the goods are in transit and on the truck. Title and risk of loss transfers to the buyer when he takes possession of the goods. Possession and title with the risk of loss is indicated by the buyer unloading the goods at the tailgate. The hydraulic tailgate service is not part of the shipping fee. When Lowes delivers a washing machine to your house, there is an additional fee for taking it off the truck and bringing it inside. Either Lowes or you pay that fee. Who ever pays that fee has the risk of loss until it is put down in your house. Truck drivers are not expected to unload freight. Deliveries are different than freight. Just trying to keep you from feeling ripped which you were not.
5lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:07 PM   #20
Keith True

It's that dollar a pound number that sounds odd to me,not the liftgate fee.The last half dozen things I've bought that came by truck have been small excavator and skidsteer rubber tracks.On every order I'm asked (on the form)if I need liftgate delivery.If I check no,then that means I must have a way to unload it.The price difference is about $50.I'ts the pricing that sounds out of line,not the fact of the fee.