Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
J Wade

Default Body welt

In the red book it states to cut a 8" strip and glue it to the top leave of the front springs and coat the top with grease. It appears to me in West Texas that grease is just going to collect sand. So if its necessary can I use something other than body welt because I would have to order it. Or would you even do it. Thanks again guys. I couldn't put this together without the help of the barners
J Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:43 PM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: Body welt

I have never used anything on top of the spring. I just clamp the spring hangers tight and go with that. One thing that might happen is the welting adds height and could cause the spring to slip out of the square hole. Maybe it wouldn't if the welting is thin, but who knows.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
J Wade

Thanks Rusty. It didn't make sense to me but it is the red book so I wanted some more opinions
Old 10-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #4
redmodelt

Other side of the debate; we do add welting to the springs front rear. No grease. The welting is thin enough that it really does not that much height to the spring pack.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:35 PM   #5
J Wade

So do I use it or not. Thanks
Old 10-10-2017, 11:02 PM   #6
Drive Shaft Dave

Many years ago when I installed my front spring I used piece of canvas That was lying around , I just cut a hole for the center bolt , greased it and put it in. Probably doesn't matter one way or the other.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:10 PM   #7
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by J Wade
The red book says you put 8 inches of welding glued to the spring and greased on top. It wasn't on my springs. What can I use and does everyone do this.
Welding??????? I dont think so! I think you meant webbing like frame to body anti-squeak webbing.

The answer is NO...do not use it. Ford never used it. Think about it...so you put the webbing between the bottom of the front cross member and the top of the spring. Sooner or later it will wear then what do you have? A slight gap between the bottom of the cross member and the spring which will equal a slight shifting of the front end sooner or later...Is that something you want?

At least that is my thinking anyway...someone else may disagree and have different thoughts about it.

Pluck

Walla Walla (WA) Sweet A's since 1993

MARC/MAFCA member since 1978

Ford Model AA Truck Club since 1998

(LIONEL/MTH Toy Train Collector, Orange Crush Soda Collector, Steel Beer Can Collector, Old Gas Pump Collector)
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:27 PM   #8
J Wade

watch out welting turned into welding. Sorry. Thanks to all
Old 10-10-2017, 11:32 PM   #9
Synchro909

What would be the purpose of he grease other than to attract dirt? If it is an attempt to put some lubrication in there (why would you do that anyway), maybe try some powdered graphite.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:54 AM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Originally Posted by J Wade
The red book says you put 8 inches of welding glued to the spring and greased on top. It wasn't on my springs. What can I use and does everyone do this.
Welding??????? I dont think so! I think you meant webbing like frame to body anti-squeak webbing.

The answer is NO...do not use it. Ford never used it.

At least that is my thinking anyway...someone else may disagree and have different thoughts about it.

Pluck
Well ....Yes Ford did use it, -just not on the Model-A. The Model-T used it but they were leather. So what do you gain by using it on a Model-A? Depends on the condition of your vehicle's parts. If the hole in the crossmember is worn or the head on the tie-bolt is loose within the hole, then there is an advantage because steel on steel is easy to move due to very little friction. With something creating friction between the two pieces of metal is used, then it is easier to hold the spring in one location after it is tightened.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:24 AM   #11
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Well ....Yes Ford did use it, -just not on the Model-A. The Model-T used it but they were leather. So what do you gain by using it on a Model-A? Depends on the condition of your vehicle's parts. If the hole in the crossmember is worn or the head on the tie-bolt is loose within the hole, then there is an advantage because steel on steel is easy to move due to very little friction. With something creating friction between the two pieces of metal is used, then it is easier to hold the spring in one location after it is tightened.
That makes sense so I guess no grease or other lubrication would be desirable.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #12
Bob Bidonde

Leaf springs are designed accounting for friction between their leaves. Less friction equates to a smoother ride at the cost of the spring deflecting more, so increasing its wear and reducing its fatigue life.

However, we do not put the springs to the abuse they were designed for, so fatigue life is not important. Caveat: An original hi-mileage spring could crack tomorrow. I opt for a smoother ride, so I use accessory spring covers soaked with SAE 140 hypoid gear oil and nothing between the leaves. The improvement in the ride smoothness is significant.