Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
Tom maxwell

Default 1930bumper

Does anyone know the radius of the front bumper?Mind is bent and I want to either straighten it or put the original bend in it.
I'm sure this is a common problem.
Does anyone have a good method to make the curve
Tom maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
QGolden

Default Re: 1930bumper

I do not know the radius. I have a bumper and could lay it on the floor and measure it, but I don't know if mine is "right", but I took it off the car, and it fits. As for bending it, I use a 12 Ton Pipe Bender from Harbor Freight to straighten things. Never have bent a piece of pipe, but it was easy to modify to build an inverted press. I have rolled springs, reversed eyes, pressed in and out bearings, straightend every bent crowbar in the neighborhood, etc. I am sure it would put any radius in the bumper you wanted.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Tom maxwell

ThanksI rolled into a tree the other day and put a bend in the center.
I have it off and the pipe bender is a good idea. Now just the radius needed
No other damage and the car is not restored. Slight damage to the fender
Tom
Old 08-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
Marco Tahtaras

Does this help?

Old 08-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
Tom maxwell

That's what I needed. Now just have to perform the task
Thanks
Tom
Old 08-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
johnsor

If its not too late or would help, I have a new NOS 30 front bumper. I could lay it on a flat surface and measure the height to the center, or even scribe the total arc on a large piece of paper and mail it to you.
johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
QGolden

If you go the the Pipe Bender route, take your bumper an put a mark every two inches. Start someplace where the Radius is correct and needs no change, and bring the ram up by hand, without the pipe handle inserted into the ram, until it touches the bumper, your fingers will not create enough pressure to bend the bumper. Release the Ram an move the bumper to the next mark and repeat. This will give you some practice to "feel" the pressure of the ram against the bumper. Then move the bumper to where you need to work. I pump the ram by hand (without the long pipe handle) until it is hard against the work piece, then insert the pipe handle into the ram and pump it twice, release the ram, advance the work piece to the next line, pump by hand, insert the pipe, pump twice, and repeat etc. By pumping twice you always put the same amount of pressure against the work piece with each advance. After the first pass you will begin to see a difference in the part. I have re-curved leaf springs this way , completely reversing the eye in 4 passes. Even if your bumper is bent in the middle, It is my belief that you will need to straighten it from the end a little bump at a time. I would not start at the highest point of the disfigurement and attempt to "tweak" it back in shape.

Mind you I have not done a model A bumper, but have straightened many things, so there others who have who will probably chime in if my method can be improved upon.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
Old 08-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
Does this help?
Great picture Marco, worth a thousand words!

Old 08-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I bought a 1928-9 front bumper that was bent in as your's is. I set a short 6 x 6 under the end of each bar and jumped on the middle. After a few jumps I was able to get the center straight again. I had to do each bar seperately.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #10
Kevin in NJ

I have a large Prentice vice.

Found I just loosely put it in the jaws and pulled with my 195lb weight as far as I could and managed to get some minor stuff out. You can do a pretty good job with the eyeball and some hand pulling.

Any tight kinks are probably beyond reasonable repair.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote