Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2019, 04:52 PM   #1
Licensed to kill

Default No spark?

I rebuilt the engine (59A) in my tow truck. It ran pretty good before I pulled it but now, I have no spark. Points are new and set at 15 thou, cap and rotor are new as are the plugs. I had no spark using the condenser that was in it before so I replaced the condenser and still no spark. I had required the truck so, to eliminate any issues there, I ran a jumper wire from the coil to the negative on the battery, no spark. Battery is fully charged and it turns over very well. I'm out of ideas. What am I missing??.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
Don

Default Re: No spark?

Did you get slot in cam engaged into dist when installing,remove one side of dist,and crank engine,look to see if rotor is turning!!
Old 03-29-2019, 05:23 PM   #3
flatjack9

Is your system positive ground? If so you need to connect the distributor to the positive terminal on the battery.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:31 PM   #4
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Did you get slot in cam engaged into dist when installing,remove one side of dist,and crank engine,look to see if rotor is turning!!
Yes it's in the slot.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Is your system positive ground? If so you need to connect the distributor to the positive terminal on the battery.
Yes it's positive ground. Are you saying that I have one wire from the distributor/condenser to one side of the coil and ground the other side of the coil?.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:08 PM   #6
alanwoodieman

which distributor are you using? where is the coil mounted?
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:10 PM   #7
Licensed to kill

Crab dizzy, coil mounted up by the oil filter.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:29 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

It is - to the battery & + to the points, but polarity should not cause a no spark condition. Are you getting power to the coil? Is it the correct voltage for the coil you are using?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:47 PM   #9
Licensed to kill

I'm running a wire directly from the coil to the battery and the coil is the same one that came with the truck and it ran before.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:50 PM   #10
Tinker

Dizzy grounds to the engine. Try a frame or body to engine ground strap. For starters.

If you leave straight power to a coil it will burn out.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:00 PM   #11
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Yes it's positive ground. Are you saying that I have one wire from the distributor/condenser to one side of the coil and ground the other side of the coil?.

NO

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ings_links.htm

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...electrical.htm

The plus/minus on coils are for polarity. Both will make spark, but one produces better spark.

Last edited by Tinker; 03-29-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:30 PM   #12
aussie merc

6v/12v postive or neg earth dosent mater heres some quick checks you need a multi meter so check for power at coil in check for power at coil to dizzy then if ok there connect multi meter to dizzy in and earth and rotate slowly ohms reading should go from 0 ohms [pionts closed] to infinate [pionts open] and should repeat cycle as you rotate so if ok check for coil circut ohms readings [ check coil specs they vary] not much else goes wrong then all you need to do is make sure coil suits the voltage and setup [with or without ballast resistor and is poled [installed ] to suit +or- earth [simple check if its running remove a plug lead and place an ordinary lead pencil in the arc if it flares towards the plug polarity is correct ps use gloves it bites ]
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:39 PM   #13
aussie merc

just re read your post if the engine was in storage check inside the cap' dust moisture and crap can accumulate and cause the spark to track to earth inside the cap once this happens a carbon track is laid down and all your spark goes straight to ground no fix other than replace the cap and rotor [been caught before]
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:45 AM   #14
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

If you haven't a Multy meter as A Merc says, Hold the jumper wire to the body of a bulb (at the coil end ) with the central contact to ground it should light up, if not double check that during the work the battery cables have not been switched at the starter solenoid and ground ,making it a Neg earth ,You could temporary attaché the jumper to x that could get you a spark ,if so if may indicate a fault in the Ing switch ect ..

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:21 AM   #15
flatheadmurre

Start by shorting the distributor side of the coil to ground a few quick times...if you get spark from coil it´s most likely points having oxide on them...run a file through points.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #16
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
That's going to depend on the coil, not all coils require a ballast resistor voltage wise, but very good advice if you are keeping power on the coil when it is not running!!!!

Last edited by JSeery; 03-30-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #17
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Dizzy grounds to the engine. Try a frame or body to engine ground strap. For starters.
I have good, large ground straps from the engine to the frame and the engine to the body but will check their contacts to be sure.

Quote:
Yes. I do not leave it connected. In fact, the wire is connected to the coil and we just put it on the battery while cranking and leave it off the battery when not running cranking tests.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:47 AM   #18
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie merc View Post
just re read your post if the engine was in storage check inside the cap' dust moisture and crap can accumulate and cause the spark to track to earth inside the cap once this happens a carbon track is laid down and all your spark goes straight to ground no fix other than replace the cap and rotor [been caught before]
Cap, rotor, points, condenser and plugs are all new.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #19
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I agree with post #14 & #15, need to sort out where the issue starts. Before the coil, after the coil, input to distributor, etc. That will tell you what the most likely problem is.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #20
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
If you haven't a Multy meter as A Merc says, Hold the jumper wire to the body of a bulb (at the coil end ) with the central contact to ground it should light up, if not double check that during the work the battery cables have not been switched at the starter solenoid and ground ,making it a Neg earth ,You could temporary attaché the jumper to x that could get you a spark ,if so if may indicate a fault in the Ing switch ect ..
There is no solenoid for the starter. It's direct power form the battery (-), through a starter switch on the floor to the starter. Battery + to frame. I am using a jumper wire from the coil direct to the battery to eliminate any possible ignition switch/wiring issues.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:58 AM   #21
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
There is no solenoid for the starter. It's direct power form the battery (-), through a starter switch on the floor to the starter. Battery + to frame. I am using a jumper wire from the coil direct to the battery to eliminate any possible ignition switch/wiring issues.
So what is the output from the coil? As suggested, making and breaking the (+) side the of the coil should throw a spark. Disconnect the primary wire from the distributor and hold it a half inch or so from a good ground. Disconnect the coil to distributor wire ( the + side) and with the hot wire (-) connected to the coil, touch the (+) side of the coil wire to ground and remove. You should get a spark, if not something is wrong with the coil.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:06 AM   #22
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
So what is the output from the coil? As suggested, making and breaking the (+) side the of the coil should throw a spark. Disconnect the primary wire from the distributor and hold it a half inch or so from a good ground. Disconnect the coil to distributor wire ( the + side) and with the hot wire (-) connected to the coil, touch the (+) side of the coil wire to ground and remove. You should get a spark, if not something is wrong with the coil.
I'll give that a go and report back.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:09 AM   #23
Licensed to kill

I just thought of something that may be relevant. While i had everything apart for the rebuild, while doing the dizzy, after stripping it down, I had sandblasted and painted the distributor body (it's a cast iron one) and, IIRC I'm pretty sure I primed the inside of the housing to prevent corrosion. Is it possible that I am not getting an electrical contact somewhere due to the paint?. If so, where is the likely contact failure?.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:54 AM   #24
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The points have to have a path to ground through there moving in the distributor and the distributor itself has to be grounded to the block. That could well be the issue if there is not a clear path to ground for the distributor. Same applies to the capacitor.
Attached Images
File Type: gif circ_ic.gif (3.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-30-2019, 11:55 AM   #25
fordyford

When you rebuilt the engine did you paint the timing cover and carefully put it on to avoid scratching the new paint? You may have insulated the distributor from ground.
fordyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:09 PM   #26
Licensed to kill

So, I have ground from the points base plate to engine block so all seems good there. However, when testing the coil, we disconnected the + side (from the coil to dizzy) and put a jumper wire on the coil. With the coil feed wire disconnected from the dizzy and held close to ground and the - side connected to the - side of the battery, when we touch the jumper wire from the + side of coil to ground, IT sparks but there is no spark from the coil feed wire suggesting that there is no power to the dizzy from the coil. We tried two different feed wires and checked the resistance on the feed wires and they seem to be fine. I hope all that makes sense. Unless I'm misreading the test results, It seems to me that the coil is shot.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:31 PM   #27
JSeery
Member Emeritus

There are three wires involved here, battery feed to - terminal on the coil, coil + terminal to dist (which you are shorting to ground to simulate opening and closing of the points) and the third wire is the heavy sparkplug type wire from the center of the coil you are holding near a good to check for spark.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:47 PM   #28
Licensed to kill

Yes. The heavy spark plug wire from the centre of the coil is what I am referring to as the "coil feed wire". I get no spark jumping to ground when I touch the + coil wire to ground. I get a spark at the jumper wire when it touches ground but nothing from the heavy coil feed wire. I tried two different coil feed wires to make sure that wasn't the problem.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:08 PM   #29
Don

If it ran before it should run now!you saidyou painted everything ,on inside of dist !remove pains andget a good coil and condenser!its not rocket science,think it thru!!!
Old 03-30-2019, 08:48 PM   #30
Bill OH

I have installed a new condenser in a tuneup only to have a no start. And you may have paint under the condenser mounting tab. I would try the condenser that you used before the rebuild.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:15 PM   #31
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill OH View Post
I have installed a new condenser in a tuneup only to have a no start. And you may have paint under the condenser mounting tab. I would try the condenser that you used before the rebuild.
I did. I started with the condenser that worked before the rebuild but replaced it when I found I had no spark.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:45 PM   #32
A bones

After clearing the ground path of any new paint, squirt degreaser onto the point contact pads. If, by chance any goo was on the feeler gauge it can cause a no start. Good Luck.

P. S. Some starting fluids (ether ) include cylinder lubricant.

Last edited by A bones; 03-30-2019 at 09:56 PM. Reason: PS
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:15 AM   #33
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

touches ground but nothing from the heavy coil feed wire
Just a thought , to get a spark from the heavy feed wire you need a condenser involved ,one wire to + side of the coil and the condenser body tag grounded ,If you have replaced the points and if not set correctly then it wont work specially if one or the other point set is closed all the time , at some point the circuit must be broken .With some point sets available now ( not USA ones ) its hard to set them ,you could try and block off one set with a piece of paper then flick the other set it should throw a spark of the heavy feed wire ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:07 AM   #34
Licensed to kill

UPDATE. Had a buddy come over and we spent a few hours trouble shooting. Went from no spark, to intermittent, (weak, strong spark) to good spark and got it running. Can't say what we did to improve spark but got it running. However, (and this could be related), I started it yesterday to take it out of the shop and turn it around to put it on the lift and while turning around outside, it just up and quit. Wouldn't restart so I pushed it in the shop. Checked this morning and no spark. Bypassed the ignition system (jumper wire from coil to battery) and still no spark. Pulled the dizzy cap and found that the rotor had broken. Was obviously catching on the cap contacts so now i need a new rotor. Question, how do I "fit" the new rotor so it makes proper contact and does not "catch" the cap contacts? The contacts in the cap show clear evidence of the roar hating them. [IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #35
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
UPDATE. Had a buddy come over and we spent a few hours trouble shooting. Went from no spark, to intermittent, (weak, strong spark) to good spark and got it running. Can't say what we did to improve spark but got it running. However, (and this could be related), I started it yesterday to take it out of the shop and turn it around to put it on the lift and while turning around outside, it just up and quit. Wouldn't restart so I pushed it in the shop. Checked this morning and no spark. Bypassed the ignition system (jumper wire from coil to battery) and still no spark. Pulled the dizzy cap and found that the rotor had broken. Was obviously catching on the cap contacts so now i need a new rotor. Question, how do I "fit" the new rotor so it makes proper contact and does not "catch" the cap contacts? The contacts in the cap show clear evidence of the roar hating them. [IMG][/IMG]
Just buzz some material off the rotor tip on a belt sander or file.......many rotor to cap hits are just caused by different brands etc.......
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:23 PM   #36
JSeery
Member Emeritus

That is a problem, but it would not keep the coil from producing a spark, it would just keep it from being distributed.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:04 PM   #37
BUBBAS IGNITION

Another ( but related) point was made in one of the posts. To make spark and test the coil with a lead wire you must use a condensor in the circuit like the picture from above. Everyone should have a condensor wired with two clips and a wire ......
Attached Images
File Type: gif ign point.gif (3.0 KB, 12 views)
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote