Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default MercOmatic behind a 8BA Ford flathead

I want to sell my MercOmatic transmission that's from a 52 Mercury passenger car. Now a guy wants to know if it'll fit behind his Ford 8BA engine. With the transmission goes the flex plate and the torque converter, also the bendix drive for the starter. Is it possible to mount these parts behind the Ford engine as well as behind the 8CM Mercury engine. Have heard it could be give problems behind a 8BA from 49+50 which used first a standard transmission. Is this correct? Don't want to sell something, that not'll fit. Sorry, I've to learn so much about flatheads. Hope you can help me. Thanks. Best regards, Alex

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: MercOmatic behind a 8BA Ford flathead

The mercury kept using the older 59A bolt up.You need the merc clutch housing on the ford 8ba block.This holds true on standard shift cars but automatics may be different.This housing was made in steel and cast iron.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Thanks, I have the Mercury bellhousing in cast iron, so it should be no problem to hang it behind the 8BA. Sorry, I fergotten to tell that the bellhousing still is there, too. The flex plate still works and bolts on without problems to all 8BA, 8CM or 8RT engines? That's cool and very good news for me, because I have a interested guy with a 8BA.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

I believe the crankshafts differ between automatic and manual transmission cars, something about the hole at the rear end of the crankshaft being a different size. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will pick up this thread, otherwise you can search the archives at the opening page of this forum. Good luck!

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

Seems I've read on this site that the Fordomatic/Mercomatic torque converter has a large diameter pilot that requires a large counterbore in the back of the crank. This would mean that it would be difficult to hang the automatic on the back of an engine that was originally mated with a clutch and flywheel. However it also seems there is some difference based on model year. I'm sure there are some real experts out there who can address this more completely than I can.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

The rear of all ford and Mecury 49-53 engines are the same. Ford and Merc-O- Matics are the same. The Bellhousing is special for the automatic transmissions. The only problem you may run into is the cramnkshaft. The cranks have a clearance hole in the flywheel flange for the torque converter. Good luck

Ol' Ron

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

I've put a Mercomatic onto my 53 Ford flatty in my street rod that I'm making from left over parts.I had no problem.If you have a year flatty that was from the year they started their Fordematics(I believe 49) or newer the cranks should be able to take the tranny pilot on the end of the Merc tranny.Older ones may need the crank drilled out for the pilot.Hope this helps.Cliff

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #8

Yes it will fit, but the engine crankshaft must have the large hole in the end.

All 51 to 53 flathead V8 Ford and Mercury engins have this large hole. 48 truck, 49-50 Ford/Mercury flathead V8 do not.

One other thing is that you must use along with the automatic starter, bell housing, flex plate/bolts, drive shaft, is the throttle linkage/down shift linkage for the automatic or the transmission will not work right.

This is important, this is some times overlooked with the result that the transmission 2/3 gear will not shift right.

The Merc o matic and Ford o matic for 51 to 53 are the same except for the 52 53 six cylinder which uses a different torque converter and bell housing.

If the car that you are putting the transmission in to was a 51 to 53 automatic to begin with the transmission change out should be a easy job.

Newton

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #9

Don't forget the floor pan on Ford. Ford changed the floor pan in '51 to fit the new automatics. '49 & '50 floor is different than '51.

joe

Old 03-26-2005, 11:02 PM   #10

I ran into this problem with the crank having the larger hole when using an auto tran engine in a standard tran car.A machinist turned a bronze bushing that fit fine.Jeeps use a plain bushing for pilot bearing.

Old 03-27-2005, 01:06 AM   #11

The pilot bearing goes into the flywheel, so the large hole doesn't affect standard shift units.