Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2018, 11:16 PM   #1
Special Delivery

Default Looking to the Legends for help

Ladies and Gents,

I wanted to reach out to this board in hopes of tapping in to the expertise that is here. My father has a 1930 Special Delivery Woody and was in the process of restoring it. He did the outside really well and then went to upgrading the 6V positive ground to a 12V negative ground. Unfortunately Alzheimer’s has advanced to a point where he simply can’t remember what he’s done to it on a day to day basis. My hope is that I can help get this car up and running so he can have a few more memorable rides in it before it’s too late.

Sorry for the sob story, but was hoping you could provide guidance to a relatively mechanical novice to start undertaking this task. Your guidance is much appreciated.
Special Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:20 PM   #2
cpf240

Default Re: Looking to the Legends for help

Please list your location. There may be people near you that can help.
cpf240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:40 PM   #3
Special Delivery

Ok, added my location. Thank you for the tip cpf.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:07 AM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

Can not help, but hoping you get the help you need and are successful. In 2011 I was in a similar situation with my Dad, and was so disappointed when he passed away before I got the A running enough to take him on rides.

Wishing you the very best.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #5
1930artdeco

PM sent

Mike
Old 09-27-2018, 11:26 AM   #6
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Delivery View Post
Ladies and Gents,

I wanted to reach out to this board in hopes of tapping in to the expertise that is here. My father has a 1930 Special Delivery Woody and was in the process of restoring it. He did the outside really well and then went to upgrading the 6V positive ground to a 12V negative ground. Unfortunately Alzheimer’s has advanced to a point where he simply can’t remember what he’s done to it on a day to day basis. My hope is that I can help get this car up and running so he can have a few more memorable rides in it before it’s too late.

Sorry for the sob story, but was hoping you could provide guidance to a relatively mechanical novice to start undertaking this task. Your guidance is much appreciated.

I have posted this info many times on this board over the years . I last posted it on this thread , Question , simple starter motor conversion to 12 volts . I do include info on converting to negative ground . Check out post number 14 for every detail about converting to 12 volt negative ground !!!

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 09-27-2018 at 11:39 AM. Reason: added info .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:18 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

How far did he get on the conversion? Maybe the quickest and cheapest way to get it running would be to leave it 6 volts positive. Does he have any friends that could stop by and give a status of the conversion and decide the best way to proceed?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

There is NO cheaper -easier way . If the system is still original and no wires have been cut, all that is needed is reversing the wires at the ammeter ,coil and battery .The battery will need to be changed to 12 volt and the battery cables connected as negative ground
. If a person wants to run the original coil, a ballast resistor will need to be connected to the coil . On 12 volts, I use a three OHM coil and no ballast resister will be needed . This simple upgrade is nowhere near rocket science . With the very simple instructions that have been given , anybody should be able to make this upgrade . The guy has stated that he wants to convert to 12 volt negative ground . Trying to make things more difficult is usually the problem .
Old 09-27-2018, 05:42 PM   #9
Badpuppy

Here;s the direct link to Purdy's post:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=14
He nails all the major points, but he forgot the horn resistor and all the bulbs.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:49 PM   #10
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
Here;s the direct link to Purdy's post:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=14
He nails all the major points, but he forgot the horn resistor and all the bulbs.

He mentions the headlight, not parking or tail and stop lamps. If staying with generator - repolarize generator after conversion to positive ground?
Old 09-27-2018, 07:47 PM   #11
Special Delivery

Thank you for the guidance and best wishes. I truly appreciate the help.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:51 PM   #12
Purdy Swoft

I didn't forget the bulbs or a horn resistor , I just figured that was common sense . No harm meant . I did forget to mention repolarizing the generator . To repolarize the generator it is necessary to touch a long enough wire to reach both posts of the cut out and holding it there for a second or two . Repolarizing the generator can only be done with a cut out in pl;ace . Any attempt to repolorize the generator if a can style voltage regulator is in place of the cut out will damage the voltage regulator .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 09-27-2018 at 08:59 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #13
Kahuna

Purdy
You done good.
No easier way
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #14
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I didn't forget the bulbs or a horn resistor , I just figured that was common sense . No harm meant . I did forget to mention repolarizing the generator . To repolarize the generator it is necessary to touch a long enough wire to reach both posts of the cut out and holding it there for a second or two . Repolarizing the generator can only be done with a cut out in pl;ace . Any attempt to repolorize the generator if a can style voltage regulator is in place of the cut out will damage the voltage regulator .

Hi Purdy,

Hope I did not come across poorly with my posts. I noticed this was post # 3 for him, and his post said he was a novice. So I chimed in, seemed he may need all the info/advice he could get.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:53 AM   #15
Purdy Swoft

[QUOTE=30 Closed Cab PU;1680169]Hi Purdy,

Hope I did not come across poorly with my posts. I noticed this was post # 3 for him, and his post said he was a novice. So I chimed in, seemed he may need all the info/advice he could get.[/QUOTE

There was no harm in the mention of changing out the bulbs . I just figured that every body would know this fact . Why else would 12 volt bulbs be offered , same for a horn resistor .Some of the reproduction horns will operate on either 6 or 12 volts . I'm just getting old and tired and trying to keep unnecessary typing to a minimum when possible . Just my thoughts !!!
Old 09-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #16
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Purdy
You done good.
No easier way
Jim
Thanks Jim , You are a good guy !!!!!!! We need more people like you in the hobby that can picture and understand a simple upgrade in their minds eye .
Old 09-28-2018, 12:20 PM   #17
Purdy Swoft

Most of the people that convert to 12 volt negative ground use the 12 volt negative ground alternator that is offered in the model A catalogs . The 12 volt negative ground alternator puts out more AMPS for the brightest headlamps. and won't need to be repolarized to operate on negative ground . An electric shop could repolarize an alternator but it won't need to be repolarized because it is already negative ground . I am one of the few that runs the original generator on 12 volts .
Old 09-28-2018, 04:58 PM   #18
Badpuppy

We should add that an electric w/s wiper motor, if present, needs a dropping resistor as well.

When explaining to a novice you need to mention every detail. What's no-duh to us is a confusing mess to the uninitiated.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:09 PM   #19
Roserock49

Special Delivery,
Try contacting the Diablo A's of the Model A Ford Club in Concord, CA. There are several members that could give you the information you need. I would suggest Bob Grady.
Roserock49 is offline   Reply With Quote