Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
Boeing

Default PCV Valve

I am looking for information for my 1946 F1 pickup.
I am wondering if there ever was a PCV valve installed in 1946.

Last edited by Boeing; 10-16-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Boeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #2
texas webb

Default Re: PVC Valve

Don't think so.PCV
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
Johnnydidd

Baxter auto in Lawrence, ks call Bob at 785 842 9256 he makes a pcv valve for flathead
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:06 AM   #4
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydidd View Post
Baxter auto in Lawrence, ks call Bob at 785 842 9256 he makes a pcv valve for flathead
For the 59AB style engine??
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #5
Ole Don

The late model engine is the easy one to modify. Use a new filtered oil fill cap. Remove the intake manifold, and drill in to the bottom until you are in to both runners equally. Drill to 3/8 pipe size, then tap for same. Remove the pipe from the crank case, and shorten it by two inches, then make two angled cuts 2/3 through at an angle leading down. Weld, braze or silver solder light sheet metal in these cuts to act as baffles. Reinstall the pipe, with a 302 Mustang PCV and grommet, the grommet fits just right. Use a 3/8 90 degree brass fitting with a 3/8 hose barb in the intake manifold, then at assembly, connect the two with good quality hose. Reinstall the outside pipe to make it look stock, and you will have a PCV where nobody can see it.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing View Post
I am looking for information for my 1946 F1 pickup.
I am wondering if there ever was a PVC valve installed in 1946.
To answer your question; As I recall the WWII military trucks that were equipped with fording accessories, ie; a closed crankcase, etc., for use in high water, had a PCV system a sealed ignition system and a snorkel on the intake that extended above the windshield frame.
I have a ex-miltary Dodge flat hear six that has a fording kit on it..
Old 10-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #7
Ronnieroadster

As far as your F-1 Pickup is concerned no PCV valve was used on the flathead V-8 engine. There's a vent on the oil pan that helps reduce crankcase pressure buildup.
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:28 PM   #8
bssmnbll

Default Re: PCV Valve

This message is for Johnnydidd!! Back in 1963, in Miles City, Montana, I had the pleasure of owning and driving a 56 Merc Monterey just exactly like the one in your signup.. paid $125 for it and never had a problem with it. Loved it.
bssmnbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:57 AM   #9
47Merc

Blucar in post #6 above is sort of right.

In WW2 there were mercury 99a flatheads made with a closed crankcase ventilation system and these engines were used in vehicles that had the engines inside with the occupants like bren gun carriers, tanks, boats etc. My friend has one of these and they have a 1/2 inch tube on the inlet manifold running from the base of the fuel pump stand to the base of the carb stand so they recirculate the fumes.
I have a photo of it somewhere and if I can find it I'll post it.

Maybe your truck has one of these motors.

Photo added
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014 wals 99a.jpg (45.6 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by 47Merc; 10-17-2017 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Photo added
47Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:03 AM   #10
Boeing

47Merc, thank you for your reply I would really appreciate seeing some pictures when you find them.
Boeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #11
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Canadian trucks and carriers got the PCV system. My info is from scattered hints in a bunch of different manuals, mostly from CMP trucks, and I have posted a bunch on them here.
PCV first appears in the 1943 edition of the truck manual, no way to tell how much earlier the hardware appeared, but certainly on the C29 engines. I've slowly gathered most of the bits, actual valve seems to same or similar to the USA jeeps.
I think the picture above is of the early version...my manifolds have that pickup hole left cast closed and a new port added into the right side of the manifold where it rises to mount the generator. The one shown uses the truck vacuum brake hole, a big 3/8 pipe hole that has two much smaller holes through into the two sides of manifold. The possibly later one inhales at front of manifold and gets its suction from a plate under carb that branches into the two sides of manifold with small holes, very much like the hookup used with Southwind heaters. It's also possible that the 2 arrangements were for trucks with and without power brakes, but I suspect they moved the port because there was too much oil being flung around at the back.
All the manifolds were Canadian 11A types which had casting provisions for several arrangements covering the several vacuum arrangements on current and earlier flatheads.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:49 AM   #12
scooder

My war time pcv is set up like bruce discribes, plumbed at the front on the raise for the generator, directly above the breather stand pipe in the valve chamber. But the pipe travels around the back of the carb and into the large fitting like the pictured one above. Marked Donaldson Crankcase Ventilator.
This setup was on a 99A out of a Bren gun carrier I believe, it also had the full flow oil filter set up on the bell housing.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #13
Johnnydidd

bssmnbll

Thanks for compliment on my merc, its a beautiful car drives very well, has power steering, rebuilt automatic, rebuilt 312 with a set of pipes that will blow your windows out. I had 56 HT when I was young, it also had a set of pipes, I lived in a small town out in Kansas it had old buildings with large plate windows, I could drive through town with pipes screaming you could see the light reflecting of the windows as they vibrated. MEMORIES
Old 10-18-2017, 11:27 AM   #14
tubman

When I was in high school, my best friend's older brother had a black on black '56 Mercury Monterey 2 door hardtop. We would always borrow that car when we double-dated to all of the "big dances" at school. Even in 1959-60, that was still the best looking, classiest car that anybody had, and most pf our friends parents had Buicks, Cadillacs, and stuff like that. (They were mostly 4 doors, however.)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:46 PM   #15
Johnnydidd

I wanted a 4 door they are easier to get in and out, that's why I got 4 door