Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
jerry grayson

Default 1935-36 pickup restoration book

The book has been killed by the Board of Directors of the Early Ford V8 Club. They say that only 268 pickups are listed in the EFV8 roster and the cost of publishing this book with this low sample is not a profitable deal!! This is hanging Lawson and me out to dry. we are about 2/3 finished with the raw data and rough outline. We have spent many days and hours researching and interviewing people and working in the Ford archives. They did not even consult us before making the decision, just met and did the deed. In my opinion, someone has a hidden agenda with this, maybe they just don't like us.
They have given the O K to a group to publish a 49-51 Mercury restoration book. I wonder how many of these cars are listed in the roster?
We believe that there is a much greater interest in these pickups than units listed in the roster. Do they think that only someone that has a pickup listed in the roster will buy the book? How many of these pickups are in the hands of non EFV8 members? A person can buy a cab, hood radiator and grill from a 1 1/2 ton truck, match it to a passenger car frame, bolt on a reproduction bed and have a PICKUP!! Look at Lawson Cox's truck. This is exactly how he came up with his.
We think that the EFV8 club has done a disservice to the hobby, not to mention to us with this decision.
What do you think?
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
ken ct
BANNED

Default Re: 1935-36 pickup restoration book

This club does what it wants to do,this isn't the only bit*h i have with this club.All the time and money you guys spent trying to get this book out was only wasted. I feel bad this happend to 2 nice guys in the hobby. ken ct
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
35 Ford

I would have bought one!

My 35 Ford Pickup Blog
35 Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
ford38v8

Jerry, The Board doesn't have an "agenda with this", nor does it not "like you". Something similar happened with another Ford Book, as the Board rejected the concept of a book devoted to only the '38 Ford for the same reason. You see how the problem was resolved? The book was expanded to include the '39 Ford, and is available today as "The 1938-'39 Ford Book".

I understand how you feel hurt by the decision, but consider expanding your book as we did. There are a great many pickup owners of all years that would jump at the chance to own such a book.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
ken ct
BANNED

What a slap in the face Lawson + Jerry this is. ken ct. As far as im concerned this is just another nail in the coffin with this club for me.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
33 roadster

Hi, I would also buy one and I am not a member of the club but have a 36 pickup. Thanks, Larry
33 roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
DavidG

I believe that Alan's right; it might of flown if it had not been confined to a single model in Ford's lineup of commercial vehicles for 1935 and 1936. Consider adding the station wagon and the panel and sedan deliveries, for example, or including the '33 through '39 pickups, for another example.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Jerry, The Board doesn't have an "agenda with this", nor does it not "like you". Something similar happened with another Ford Book, as the Board rejected the concept of a book devoted to only the '38 Ford for the same reason. You see how the problem was resolved? The book was expanded to include the '39 Ford, and is available today as "The 1938-'39 Ford Book".

I understand how you feel hurt by the decision, but consider expanding your book as we did. There are a great many pickup owners of all years that would jump at the chance to own such a book.
Well, the thing is, they gave the O K with the project and let us go with it for several years and then cut it off with no notice! No alternative, just stop. No discussion with us, just stop!! I am familiar with the history and problems with the 38-39 book and this is not the same.
I have been a member of the EFV8 club since the 70's, I am a master and senior judge and have been chief judge at a national meet in Atlanta. I have been an active member and contributed to the club at the local level having served in all of the elective offices. I am now a member of three EFV8 clubs and for the national to just dismiss our efforts with no notice just stinks!!
To expand the book to cover other years is just not practical as a 34 pickup is a completely different animal, as is a 37, 38 and 39. Do you realize how much research and printed pages it would take to fairly cover all the early year pickups? And how much such a book would have to sell for?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
I believe that Alan's right; it might of flown if it had not been confined to a single model in Ford's lineup of commercial vehicles for 1935 and 1936. Consider adding the station wagon and the panel and sedan deliveries, for example, or including the '33 through '39 pickups, for another example.
We had a discussion about adding the panel, but the sedan delivery and station wagon are passenger car derivatives.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
coupe5w36

Might there be smaller publishing companies who would be prepared to do the print?? What if a quantity could be "pre-sold" to raise initial capitol?? Does anything printed need to have the club's blessing?? Just wondering.
coupe5w36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #11
Mike in AZ

I'm sorry to hear about your project....i know Lawson has been working hard on it and figure you have put in the same amount of labor....hopefully something can be done to save the book....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
DICK SPADARO

Jerry , just because it doesn't have the the V8 clubs blessing doesn't mean it cant be published. Contact me via PM with what you have, how it is formatted and about how many pictures and drawings.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
flatjack9

I have bought all of the V-8 restoration books even though I don't have that particular year. I would also have bought the 35 - 36 truck book and I don't own any trucks. Bad deal ro you.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #14
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICK SPADARO View Post
Jerry , just because it doesn't have the the V8 clubs blessing doesn't mean it cant be published. Contact me via PM with what you have, how it is formatted and about how many pictures and drawings.
Will do!!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #15
FL&WVMIKE

This SUCKS ! I am very disappointed in the Early V8 Ford Club for doing this !
I have been a member since almost the very start. I joined when they first advertised, nationally, in "Hemmings".
I think that they need me, more than I need them.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #16
Steel 35

Pretty sure I know of one thats not in there roster! Keep printing and put a picture on the back of (Your) book showing some love...... happy to provide sample pictures.
Steel 35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:41 AM   #17
tierod

I think I recall providing some info for the proposed book sometime ago when I owned a 36pu. Was looking forwardto seeing it. Sorry for the situation.
tierod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:40 AM   #18
Hoop

"They say that only 268 pickups are listed in the EFV8 roster and the cost of publishing this book with this low sample is not a profitable deal!!"

I read this a couple of times and thought about the "profitable" part.

IF that's what they actually said ... AND, IF that is their true criteria for the decision, some questions might be in order about the purpose of the club.

Is every deal they get into supposed to be "profitable?"

Do they ever spend money without the expectation of profit? Do they ever spend money purely for the sake of the hobby and toward the preservation of early Fords?

... aren't they filed as a "non-profit organization?"

Most clubs must generate revenue to support some activities that benefit the hobby. The Early V8 Club evidently sees publishing this book as a possible revenue enhancer rather than a good work to promote and support early Fords. An examination of the club's expenditures would probably find money spent to cover certain expenses that would be better diverted to the book.

... or you can follow Dick's advice. Current technology makes publishing/printing easier and cheaper than you'd think.

(Here's one that's not on their roster.)

Last edited by Hoop; 11-28-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #19
Fe26

I have two that aren't on the roster, and I have been looking forward to this book for quite some time.

Please talk to Mr Spadaro, as others have said, self-publishing could be the way to go. Although to have the imprimatur of the EFV8C would have been desirable, it is not the be all and end all.

Both of you gentlemen have formidable reputations, as such many would be encouraged to buy the book even without the assistance of the club. If you were for example to take a rough survey to ask who would be interested, and find out how many you might sell, this would be good news for a potential publisher.

There any many sites and forums you might pose the question, and don't forget to give the EFV8C a nudge when you ask the question on their sites.

Can I start the survey with a firm order for x1 copy.

Good luck.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:52 AM   #20
JWL
Member Emeritus

Looking at only what has been posted I get the feeling there is some kind of underlying agenda. However, that would be difficult to uncover. What has changed since the initial "go-ahead" was given? Was there a sudden drop in 35-36 pickup ownership?

One word of advice is to be wary of all the book orders that get talked about before you have the book available.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #21
wamnram

Look on the bright side. Now you can finish the book without worrying about a deadline or having it edited to fit the clubs format. Take your time, put in it what you want, and do it your way! All of us will appreciate your efforts and a good many of us will buy your book regardless of whether we own a pickup or not.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #22
J & D

I would buy one.
J & D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #23
Vic Piano

Jerry, here's an idea, why don't you and Lawson publish it yourselves, like Dick said. You could put it out on a CD/DVD, right from the computer and offer it on the swap sites on all the related web sites. You could also offer it to all the Ford parts dealers to include in their catalogs. Just don’t hope to make a bunch of money with it, as others can attest, the market is limited. I’ve produced a number of “how to” as well as general information, informative/entertaining automotive videos relating to Flatheads in particular and over the years we’ve sold a good number of them but we have not really promoted them for the past several years except on the old FordBarn and now at Christmas time on the ChevyBarn. Good luck with the project, whatever you do. Vic
Old 11-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #24
36Bill

What they should be looking at is why are so few of the pickup owners are members of the EFV8 club. I was a member but lost interest in the club, not my '36 pickup. I am still looking forward to the book as there is little published on these pickups. The Ford pickup book has a picture of the '36 and the '36 restoration book is about cars mostly. Keep up the good work and I hope to see your book one day. I don't care who prints it.

Bill
36Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #25
Dick

Very sorry to hear of this as I've been waiting for this book to be published. I have two pickups not on the registry. Hope you can find a way to get this published - I will buy a copy.
Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #26
oldandtired

I used to belong to the V-8 Club and dropped my membership in part because they did not seem interested in commercial vehicles. I own a 35 and a pair of 37 pickups, as well as a 39 panel. The vehicles are very different. Lawson and Jerry were well advised to restrict the book to two model years. There are large variations in just those two years. The 37 model year pickup was very different from the 35/6 years with very few parts interchanging with the 35/6. If Jerry and Lawson would be interested in just making copies of what they have gathered available, I would be very interested in purchasing a copy. It would be far more and better information than I now have.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #27
Cecil/WV

I'm sorry that they pulled the plug. There is a real need for this type of info. Although my '40 pickup isn't built to concourse standards, I did try to follow originality as far as possible with the parts I had to work with and the only source of info I had was the now outdated '40 car book and what I could garner at national meets.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #28
V12Bill

If there are not enough 35 - 36 pickups out there, I guess I will never see a (37) 38 - 38 authenticity manual. One of the reasons I joined the EFV8 club was to get information on my 39 Pickup. The car manual has very little on the chassis which is the same as the PU.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #29
ken ct
BANNED

How would the club feel if 236 club members suddenly dropped membership,i bet they wouldn't consider that a insignificant amount. There getting like DC polititions,do as i say not what i do. ken ct. Member for 25 yrs.Too many things are going by the wayside in this club. Its supposed to be for the members and a NON-PROFIT org. OMO
Old 11-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #30
TJ

I don't know the specifics of why this project was stopped, but the V-8 Club has to consider projects on a cost -benefit analysis. Even though the Club is non-profit the BOD has an obligation to be frugal with the Club's money. Losing money on a project that may only benefit a few members is not good management of members money. I suspect that they looked at this project for some time and discovered that by the time the book was completed in draft, taken to a desktop publisher, and then to the printer, these related costs would far exceed the amount of projected sales. I would bet if they thought the project would break even on cost vs sales they would have proceeded. Breaking even is an option, losing money is not. It's better to stop a project than to move forward and lose more money.
In my opinion the narrrow scope (35-36 only) of this book would appeal only to a small number people. Had the book included the 37-39 pickups it would have appealed to a wider audience. As an example the Club's 38-39 book started out as a 38 book only. Obviously this book would not have sold enough books to break even. The BOD then included the 39 cars and the book became a good seller. Had they included the 37 cars it would have been a bigger seller. In the real world not every project becomes a reality.
If you are passionate about this book I would suggest that you publish it yourselves. Just be aware of the costs. If you are willing to take the gamble go for it. Just for info anything you publish concerning the Ford Motor Company has to be reviewed by the legal department at Ford Motor Company. This is a "must do" on your part or you will find yourself in court and all your efforts will go down in flames.
For those of you that want to see the book published you might consider helping these two out with some monetary donations. It's not cheap to bring a book to print and if you want the book to be a reality it will take a large sum of money to "get er done".
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #31
Dave D

Go to http://www.lulu.com/ or one of the other self publishers, print the book and tell me the cost, I'll buy one.
Dave D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #32
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
I don't know the specifics of why this project was stopped, but the V-8 Club has to consider projects on a cost -benefit analysis. Even though the Club is non-profit the BOD has an obligation to be frugal with the Club's money. Losing money on a project that may only benefit a few members is not good management of members money. I suspect that they looked at this project for some time and discovered that by the time the book was completed in draft, taken to a desktop publisher, and then to the printer, these related costs would far exceed the amount of projected sales. I would bet if they thought the project would break even on cost vs sales they would have proceeded. Breaking even is an option, losing money is not. It's better to stop a project than to move forward and lose more money.
In my opinion the narrrow scope (35-36 only) of this book would appeal only to a small number people. Had the book included the 37-39 pickups it would have appealed to a wider audience. As an example the Club's 38-39 book started out as a 38 book only. Obviously this book would not have sold enough books to break even. The BOD then included the 39 cars and the book became a good seller. Had they included the 37 cars it would have been a bigger seller. In the real world not every project becomes a reality.
If you are passionate about this book I would suggest that you publish it yourselves. Just be aware of the costs. If you are willing to take the gamble go for it. Just for info anything you publish concerning the Ford Motor Company has to be reviewed by the legal department at Ford Motor Company. This is a "must do" on your part or you will find yourself in court and all your efforts will go down in flames.
For those of you that want to see the book published you might consider helping these two out with some monetary donations. It's not cheap to bring a book to print and if you want the book to be a reality it will take a large sum of money to "get er done".
Let me preface my remarks by saying that I am no longer a member of the EFV8 Club, after 30+ years, I did not renew my membership, for reasons unrelated to this post.

I agree with most of what you said however, if (as was said) the BOD of the EFV8 Club gave the "go ahead" for the book, it would appear that they did not do their due diligence prior to giving the green light? I know that Lawson in particular has been working on this book for a long time and I doubt that he, or anyone else, would spend time and money with no expectation of having the information made available through the EFV8 Club, especially if that was the initial understanding. It’s too bad that this happened, whatever the reason(s), as it may serve to decrease the enthusiasm on the part of others that might have considered doing something similar that would benefit the clubs members in the future. Vic
Old 11-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #33
rotorwrench

Clubs can be a sore subject to many antique machinery and vehicle owners, myself included. I've seen more than one end up a drama fest for the few rather than be for the benifit of all. I should think that at some point in the future that they would have in print books to cover every year model and type of early Ford whether V8, 4, or 6 cylinder. Otherwise, it should have been the early Ford convertible club or other such nonsense. I can see it if they simply postpone something till a later date. To shut it down with no recourse is ridiculous.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #34
35 rancho

I needed the book a few year's ago. I would have save me a lot of time and money. Are the V8 membership dues about the same price of a book?? Regardless I would still want the book!! Dave By the way has anyone put sunvisor's in their pickup? they show them in the car book???
35 rancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #35
rich b

I'm not sure going by the vehicles in their registry is best way to determine
the market.

I don't belong to the club; but that didn't stop me from buying the '32 book along with the '35-'36 book, I also plan to buy the '40 book, my father-in-law is not a member either; but he bought the '37 book.

The club seems geared toward passenger cars instead of trucks, maybe that's why the numbers are low.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #36
John R

I doubt that the number of club-registered 35-36 trucks has changed significantly since the time the BOD gave the go-ahead on this project. Thus, this episode just demonstrates extremely poor management on the part of the club BOD. Furthermore, they apparently do not consider the huge amount of volunteer effort invested in the book so far to be sufficient to honor their implied commitment to publish it.
John R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:11 AM   #37
Hoop

" ... we are dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all Ford Motor Company vehicles built between 1932 and 1953." Early Ford V8 Club

TJ posted, "I don't know the specifics of why this project was stopped, but the V-8 Club has to consider projects on a cost -benefit analysis. Even though the Club is non-profit the BOD has an obligation to be frugal with the Club's money. Losing money on a project that may only benefit a few members is not good management of members money. I suspect that they looked at this project for some time and discovered that by the time the book was completed in draft, taken to a desktop publisher, and then to the printer, these related costs would far exceed the amount of projected sales. I would bet if they thought the project would break even on cost vs sales they would have proceeded. Breaking even is an option, losing money is not. It's better to stop a project than to move forward and lose more money."

Read it again and think about it.

A club that is DEDICATED to "restoration and preservation" is not willing (although we don't know the "specifics") to SPEND money without the prospect of "breaking even" in order to document a class of vehicles for posterity ...

Horse hockey. (TJ, aimed at your theory, not at you.)

A whole helluva lot of us spend a lot of money restoring and preserving early Fords without expecting to break even. Some things cost money/time and are worth doing. (Consider what Jerry and Lawson have already spent on the book, and I doubt they are expecting any money in return.)

The Early Ford V8 Club should take on the project ... BECAUSE that's what they claim they are dedicated to doing. I once asked a local architect neighbor why the city built such an over-the-top grand library costing a fortune. He replied, "Because beautiful buildings should be built."

Whether or not I agree with the cost of the library, there are some things that are "built" because they should be.

The Club needs to find a way to build this book ... or drop the "dedicated" nonsense.

Last edited by Hoop; 11-29-2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: typo
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:48 AM   #38
Cecil/WV

I think one of the problems is that the club has almost a totally different BOD than it did when giving the nod for the book in the beginning. It should have recognized the wisdom and comittment of the previous BOD.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:16 AM   #39
jerry grayson

Quote:
TJ, you may be right with some of what you say about V8 club projects, but they did not come to us and discuss cost cutting measures or anything else, just out of the blue; STOP THE PROJECT! The EFV8 club encourages authors to research and publish books and is this going to throw cold water on future would-be books?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #40
rotorwrench

I don't know the best way to act in this matter but I can relate this situation to our own government since most clubs are based on parliamentary procedures. They are slow to act and don't always act in a logical manner but given time things usually have a way of working out. If club members are aware of the situation, I'm sure there will be some recourse in the matter of electing new officers at some point in time that will have a more logical approach to the publication of the necessary books to further the hobby as far as the given history can take it. These things should be done in a timely manner or more of the folks that remember what was what will be lost and things will be forgotten. The way I see it, it's the clubs purpose to answer the unanswered questions that any member may have no matter how mundane. Some folks overlook the old battle weary work horses that were the old Ford commercial vehicles. Many of them served on well after the passenger cars were in the scrap heep. To turn a blind eye to them is to forget a very important page in history.

I figure it is better to join the club and get involved in this process than it is to abandon it. I'm sure the sum of the members probably feel the same way.

Kerby

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-29-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #41
ford38v8

I think Kerby's got it nailed. Participation is the key, not rejection. Those who stand aside with hands in pockets, those who complain that things aren't the way they would like them to be, those who are full of suggestions that others should do, Those who are not dues paying Members, they have no say in how it's done. You who have quit, or who have never joined, you who have all the answers but no action, you are not part of the answer, you are the problem.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #42
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
I think Kerby's got it nailed. Participation is the key, not rejection. Those who stand aside with hands in pockets, those who complain that things aren't the way they would like them to be, those who are full of suggestions that others should do, Those who are not dues paying Members, they have no say in how it's done. You who have quit, or who have never joined, you who have all the answers but no action, you are not part of the answer, you are the problem.
I respectfully suggest that you have lumped everyone into just two categories, which is an unrealistic and unfair representation of members, former members and non-members as a group. You have no way of knowing what any one individual member may have done to support the club, while in the club, nor or you privy to specific reasons for anyone to leave the club. All clubs and organizations (without exception) have members that do the work and members that are just along for the ride. However, when members embark on a project that has been approved by the powers that be, only to be rebuked after having expended untold hours, etc., I'd say that the problem exist within the club management, not the general membership. You are correct to suggest that people who have never been members of the EFV8 Club don't have any say in how the club conducts its business. Unfortunately, the anonymity provided by the internet promotes (for lack of a better term) spam from people with opinions and limited or no actual knowledge of the subject matter they are addressing.

I appreciate the EFV8 Club and their efforts to promote the preservation of 1932 to 1953 Ford Motor Company vehicles however, it is my humble opinion as a former member, that they've been taking themselves much too seriously for too long, with apparently no end in sight. This is a club, a hobby; it's supposed to be fun. I think they've forgotten about that somewhere along the way.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #43
36Bill

Alan,

If I thought that rejoining the club would bring back the book project I would not hesitate to join, but I doubt it. If everyone was a club member would it move this book project, not likely. I really don't think that I am the problem, I just am not a club member. What the club does or doesn't do is their business. I was just looking forward to the '35-'36 book and I hope that someone will pick it up and run with it. I don't think we need blame, we need this book.

Bill
36Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #44
Hoop

"You who have quit, or who have never joined, you who have all the answers but no action, you are not part of the answer, you are the problem."

Alan, seriously and with all respect, the problem is that the Board of Directors pulled the rug out from under Lawson and Jerry. The club had pledged its support, and the guys relied on that promise and undertook the project.

How in heaven can you say I'm the problem or Vic's the problem ... or anyone else who offers an opinion is a problem? You even want to blame the poor goobers who are just standing there with their hands in their pockets.

The worst response to folks who complain about an organization's operation is "if you don't like it, run for the board yourself and fix it."

These guys asked for the job and campaigned to get it. Their job is to serve the membership now that they have it (later, they will add their term on the board to their illustrious resumes) ... "The way I see it, it's the clubs purpose to answer the unanswered questions that any member may have no matter how mundane." Kerby also said that. And, yes, he nailed it.

Believe it or not, some of the comments are from folks who have been to more than one rodeo.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #45
ford38v8

To Hoop & Bill & Vic & others of similar opinion, I apologize for my tirade. I was just getting sick of reading all the attacks on the club I love. I do very much agree that the publication of a '35-'36 Ford truck book would be great to have in any enthusiat's library. And I agree that it's publication should not be predicated on whether it would be profitable to do so. As Tom has said, if a book breaks even, it's worthy of publication.

As a Director and Liason with the Author of the '38-'39 Ford Book, I fought the good fight then, and was on the winning side of several attempts to cancel that book. As it was, the book was reduced in size by about 60% of what it could have been, and was finally published after my term as Director ended. My point here is that the Club is governed by a Board of Directors, each having been elected to represent the Members. Each has a vote in any discussion, and the result of this vote shut down the project.

As it stands now, I assume that Jerry and Lawson have been reimbursed for expenses, as that is normal procedure in granting support for a project. The cancellation of the project represents a cost for the Club in that respect, and a big dissapointment for all interested parties, myself included.

Those who would volunteer to author a book of this kind are few and far between, and themselves are surprised by the amount of work that it takes, and the number of dollars spent before it even gets to the publisher. Jerry and Lawson are to be lauded for thier efforts. I for one hope that the information they've gathered can be made available in one form or another, and not lost to the ages.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #46
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I don't know the best way to act in this matter but I can relate this situation to our own government since most clubs are based on parliamentary procedures. They are slow to act and don't always act in a logical manner but given time things usually have a way of working out. If club members are aware of the situation, I'm sure there will be some recourse in the matter of electing new officers at some point in time that will have a more logical approach to the publication of the necessary books to further the hobby as far as the given history can take it. These things should be done in a timely manner or more of the folks that remember what was what will be lost and things will be forgotten. The way I see it, it's the clubs purpose to answer the unanswered questions that any member may have no matter how mundane. Some folks overlook the old battle weary work horses that were the old Ford commercial vehicles. Many of them served on well after the passenger cars were in the scrap heep. To turn a blind eye to them is to forget a very important page in history.

I figure it is better to join the club and get involved in this process than it is to abandon it. I'm sure the sum of the members probably feel the same way.

Kerby
Hear, Hear!

Perhaps a question could be asked of the EFV8C, how many reference books have they sold in relation to membership/ownership numbers? I.e if there are 1000 registered owners of 1938 cars, and the club has sold 1500 copies of the 1938-39 book, this would be a powerful argument to respond to the clubs withdrawal of support for this project.

I personally have recommened the EFV8 clubs books to many on the HAMB and other forums, people who aren't members of the club, but who needed advice and direction. This would in part count for extra and unexpected sales.

Likewise, refusal to support publication should not be considered until all accounting measures and interpretations have been considered. To say there are only 200 odd members who might be interested is a simplistic view. The club doesn't need to make a profit, then again nor should it make a great loss. However, that is not to say the project should be abandoned if a smaller loss (how do we quantify that?) has to be accepted.

Losses can be acceptable for the reasons:-

The club must ensure an adequate document is available to aid all owners of the marque.

The club must have a plan for the future. The more assistance that can be given in the here-and-now, will help provide for future needs.

Failure to provide for future needs will ultimately, either alienate or render redundant some owners desire to join the club.

So to the records we should go, and put our arguments to the club.

Last edited by Fe26; 11-29-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #47
Pamlico

I too would buy one. I have a '35.
Pamlico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #48
Adam/Mill Valley CA

Lawson and Jerry, if you do decide to proceed and self-publish, I would be happy to make a donation to assist the project - as a '36 owner, I think there's a real need for this book

Adam
1970 911E 2.2 litre dark blue/black
1968 BMW R50/2 US, black (m'cycle)
1967 Triumph TR6R , sea foam/cream (m'cycle)
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 red (m'cycle)
1974 Honda CB750 red (m'cycle)
2000 Kawasaki W650 blue/silver (m'cycle)
Adam/Mill Valley CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:14 AM   #49
lonewolf

I'm trying to restore a 36 pickup and having a hard time doing so. I'm a guy in my 30's and don't know anyone that has ever owned a 35-36 pickup. So if I need advice I have to ask questions here. When I restored my 51 vicky there was a nice book I bought that was priceless to me. I also met a couple guys in there 70's that had counless 49-51 fords and we would have breakfast or coffee on sunday mornings and they were a huge help and we became great friends.

Maybe if there was a detailed book to help in the restoration of these pickups there would be less cabs sitting on s-10 frames with tractor grilles
lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 AM   #50
Hoop

Alan,

Thank you for your additional insights. This discussion has been very civil and hopefully has shed some light on Jerry and Lawson's situation. Obviously our very small group is in favor of the the book ... in some form or fashion, as they say.

Good works and dedication. If there are any Rotarians on the Ford Barn, they will tell you that Rotary decided some years ago to dedicate themselves to a cause. Rotary took on the task of eliminating POLIO throughout the WORLD.

They have been very successful in a battle that is being fought in some of the most undeveloped places on earth and have polio on the ropes. Most people do not know about this amazing effort.

There was never a thought about breaking even. They simply threw money at the project because it was worthwhile. Need more money? Find it.

Now, a 35/36 Ford book is definitely not a fight against polio, but maybe there's some inspiration there. For those not familiar with Rotary, they are mostly local businessmen. Many are the very best business people in the community. If anyone would have the business savvy to go thumbs down on such an absurd proposal as wiping out world polio, it would be these guys.

Nope.

The challenge for the Early Ford V8 Club is to find a way to do the important things that will insure the "future" as Fe26 put it. "Publish or perish" is a saying in academic circles. It means as a college professor, you must publish books in order to grow and assure your position and prestige in your field. The EFV8C is in a similar position.

What would happen if the club decided that they would stop publishing the V8 Times magazine? How many members keep their membership just to get the magazine? How many are not members of local clubs, do not attend any meetings of any kind, and simply enjoy the magazine?

Have any idea what is happening to the costs for publishing the "Times?"

Vic hinted earlier about foregoing hard copy publication. You can bet that at some time in the near future you will be getting your V8 Times on line. The EFV8C better be getting familiar with KINDLE(hmm, rhymes with Windle, the editor), NOOK, IPAD and other devices that are flying off the shelves right now.

For those guys with computer aversion, your goose is cooked. If the EFV8C is doing their job at all, they already are exploring plans that would include making the V8 Times available online with members paying for and being issued passwords for access.

A hint that they might be up to speed would have been an offer to Lawson and Jerry to publish their book as an online pilot project.

Probably not though.

Some things to think about for sure. It's hard to change some people.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #51
ford38v8

With regard to Hoop's signature phrase, I'll take a wild guess and say that he is among the other half of us.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #52
Hoop

Alan, thank you ... if you knew me better you'd change your mind.

In some cases, it's better to be a dreamer than a bean counter. I'd bet after this discussion Jerry and Lawson at least will know that they have our support.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #53
Clem Clement

I was on of the writers/editors for several of Greenberg's books on toy trains. Greenbergs were a for profit company. He ran into a situation where a very knowledgable person wanted to document knowledge in an early small manufacturer. Greenberg thought this book would ber a tough seller, but for the good of train collectors and harmony between us, the book was published.
Same here: We have a large amount of material gathered and it needs to be published before it gets lost. Experts in these old cars and thinning out too quickly.
Clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #54
jerry grayson

Lawson and I have been thinking abou lots of ways to solve the problem and one we are giving some thought on is the addition of the 37 year model. There is lots of differences in this year, but we could reference the mechanical part to the clubs 37 passenger book. Even doing this would involve lots of research because not much of the sheet metal is the same. Do any of you know anyone that has any research information on the 37?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #55
Vic Piano

In my opinion, expanding coverage is never a bad thing however, based on your previous experience with the EFV8 Club, before I did any additional work, I'd make sure that they will stand behind an agreement and not renege a second time. That said, I hope everything works out to everyone’s benefit as I know that you and Lawson have put a lot of time and effort into the book.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #56
Mike34

Jerry - Please do not stop your valuable research and documenting. I suggest that you and Lawson stick to your guns and continue with the book exactly as intended. By the time the book is ready for final editing the composition of the board might very well be different. We can make this a campaign topic for the next election.
Secondly, we can always OCCUPY the club's site with petitions and bring this up to a vote by the membership. I feel that there will be tremendous support.
Also, from a business prospective, if the financial rumors regarding the club are true then they should view this "loss" as an opportunity.
Finally, as suggested by others (and offered by one), there are plenty of other ways to get this book published.
Keep pressing on down the road.
-Mike
Mike34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #57
flatheadfan

A new spin to this story is the discussion that was occurring on the Ford V8 Club's forum. It didn't have the response that was occurring here on the Fordbarn but there was some. All of sudden the entire discussion "disappeared" today (12-1). Interesting.......
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #58
ford38v8

flatheadfan, no, it didn't "disappear". You're only looking at today's posts, and it hasn't had a response today.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #59
JM 35 Sedan

Jerry and Lawson, this is bad news to say the least. I know you two have put a lot of time, energy, and I'm sure a lot of your own money into this effort. It is just not right that the EFV8C/A has made this decision based solely on financial pay back. Maybe this poor decision could be reversed if enough of us contact the board of directors with letters or emails voicing our protest. I don't presently own a '35 or '36 Ford PU but was definitely planning to purchase a copy as soon as it became available just as I have every other EFV8 Club restoration book.
I also agree with some of the other comments regarding publishing this book in some other way by some other means.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 12-01-2011 at 06:38 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #60
flatheadfan

Alan-

Found it!
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #61
Clem Clement

I have been in volved in similar cost cutting decisions in the past. My council would be to look first at the letter of incorporation and charter of the organization. Then the bylaws. Quite offen there are some programs going on that don't match the founding thrust and should be first to go.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #62
Teltruck

Two more 1936 Pickups. The two stars on the flag in the front door window represented my two sons serving there country in the war in Afganistan. Thank God they both returned home safetly! Pray for all our troops!!.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_0841.jpg (90.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of Copy of P1010150.jpg (96.8 KB, 69 views)
Teltruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:24 AM   #63
Fe26

As far as expanding coverage to 1937 is concerned, my suggestion would be no. In trying to please a few others (and possibly the EFV8C) you will create a lot more work for yourselves with little or no gain, and the club may still say no. And you will have no satisfaction in creating a bastard child. I think a book that covered '37' '38' and '39' trucks would have more relevance, than placing the '37' with the '35-36' pickups.

I like the proposal of electronic publishing, e.g I have The Green Bible, on CD, although lying in bed with a book (V8's of course) propped against my knees is hard to beat. So perhaps both media could be considered.

I also think now is the time to write a formal letter to the club. There have been many good suggestions made in this thread, and from sifting though these suggestions and observations, many good points are available to you to use.

In this regard I would like to make the following observations; In all dealings and especially with an organisation (club) dealing with it's members, the notion of 'Fair Play' is paramount. For the club to advise you apparently in an off-handed way, that your project will be abandoned, without giving you first the courtesy of explaining your position in regards to the need for the '35-36' book, and the work (investment) already made, is unfair and churlish to say the least.

I am surprised the board wholeheartedly agreed to this high-handed course of action without first consulting the authors. This is unfair and rude.

Another point I would like to make is; How many members on the roster (the numbers they quoted) are in the USA, compared to EFV8 Chapters worldwide. It could be worthwhile finding out just how many are listed in the clubs data base worldwide. I suspect the numbers would be much higher than those quoted to the authors.

If the worldwide numbers are significantly higher, and the club has been dishonest and underhanded in not telling you the exact numbers, the authors would have a powerful argument in their favour to ask the club to reconsider, on the grounds of 'Fairness' and the need for the document as a referance book for all models, not just the most numerous or the most popular. The club is (should be) there for all, not a select few. Furthermore, on some years/models of cars the club will make a profit on booksales, on other years/models they will not. The accounting method to employ is to look at total sales of all books, compared to publishing costs for all books. You may be pleasantly surprised that total sales are profitable, and an accomodation may be made for a loss making venture.

The club will have all this information, available on request to interested members.

Time to skin a few cats, let me count the ways...

Last edited by Fe26; 12-02-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:43 AM   #64
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

Evin I was going to get the book. Did they have the OK before they started this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35 in garage nice.jpg (76.4 KB, 32 views)
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #65
myfirst36

if they were trying to do whats best for the club then why give the OKAY and let these guys go through years of dedicated research only for it to get unknowingly shut down. Sounds to me like someone owes you for the extreme amount of time already invested.

Just because there are only a 200+ trucks listed on the earlyv8 roster doesnt mean there arn't plenty more out there.
myfirst36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #66
JM 35 Sedan

Maybe some of the EFV8C/A board members will post a response here or on the V8 Club's website explaining all the rational for their decision but knowing some of these folks I doubt it will happen.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 12-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #67
rotorwrench

Another course of action may be to find a sponsor or plural. The club may have to approve this but I see no reason why it couldn't be done. They may have to put a few plugs for the sponsors in the book but that wouldn't be a big deal as long as it was appropriate to the venture.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #68
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICK SPADARO View Post
Dick, check your PM's. I am intentionally withholding my comments until the dust settles a bit.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #69
C&GEarlyFordParts

Jerry,

If you do end up publishing the book, you know we would be happy to sell them here at C&G!

-Cody
C&GEarlyFordParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #70
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&GEarlyFordParts View Post
Jerry,

If you do end up publishing the book, you know we would be happy to sell them here at C&G!

-Cody
Hear, Hear!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #71
alrivera

Jerry and Lawson. I am not a member, but I have a 36 pickup and a 36 slantback 2-door sedan, and would love to buy a copy if you guys get it together. Al
alrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #72
jerry grayson

You know, I never knew what price for the pickup book that the EFV8 board used to calculate break even. The 35-36 passenger book is $29.95, the 32 book is 84.95, the 33-34 is 64.95, the 37 is 44.95, the 38-39 is 49.95. So, how is the price figured? What price would be too high for a very interested V8er to pay? If you are restoring a car and suddenly rare information is available, would you dig deep in your pocket to get this? By the way, if you are interested, you can get from the EFV8 club a cook book with a model "T" on the front cover for $9.95!
Old 12-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #73
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrivera View Post
Jerry and Lawson. I am not a member, but I have a 36 pickup and a 36 slantback 2-door sedan, and would love to buy a copy if you guys get it together. Al
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your support of the work Lawson and I have been doing on the "35-36 Ford pickup restoration book". Your encouragement is very gratifying.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:37 AM   #74
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry grayson View Post
You know, I never knew what price for the pickup book that the EFV8 board used to calculate break even. The 35-36 passenger book is $29.95, the 32 book is 84.95, the 33-34 is 64.95, the 37 is 44.95, the 38-39 is 49.95. So, how is the price figured? What price would be too high for a very interested V8er to pay? If you are restoring a car and suddenly rare information is available, would you dig deep in your pocket to get this? By the way, if you are interested, you can get from the EFV8 club a cook book with a model "T" on the front cover for $9.95!

Of all the points made/raised so far, this is the most relevant. It appears the club sets the price according to a given criteria. Whatever criteria they use should be made known to all authors. In this regard authors may then make an informed decision whether to proceed with their venture, and what risks they may face should they decide to proceed.

In the case of the 35-36 pickup book, it appears the authors were not given these salient facts or details. If this is so, the authors were operating in the belief the club would publish the book according to the publishing criteria of the club. If they were never informed of the risk of the club abandoning the project, they have been treated unfairly and very shabbily. Likewise, either as a preliminary, or shortly after a project begins one of the first tasks is to estimate time and cost. Armed with these facts the decision is then made whether or not to proceed, this is usually done in consultations between the author/s and the publisher. To allow the authors to proceed for years, then arbitrarily abandon the project without giving due consideration to the authors, is reprehensible. To abandon the project without having first informed the authors of the peril they faced is again, reprehensible.

If I read the situation correctly it seems the club approached the authors, thereby commissioning the book. In doing so, certain procedures; legal, copyright, dispute resolution, project management, marketing etc, come into play. Both sides must be aware of all of the factors, in order that the project is conducted in a professional manner. It seems the authors have been deprived of much information regarding protocols and procedures, indeed even their rights (in so far that they may exist).

For there to be such a wide range of prices across the published range of books, indicates to me that prices are set per individual publication, or to put it another way, on a 'cost plus' basis. If this is so, then the club has no legitimate argument to withhold publication. The cost may be higher for an (club alleged) low volume book, however the owners of the marque will pay for the privilege of having a club sanctioned document.

I suggest that based on the price of the 1932 book of $84.95, any price that is under a ceiling of say, $99.95 would be an acceptable price. The question to ask the club is this; what price did the club determine the book would retail at? The club must have this figure, how else could a board of directors make their decision without the most pertinent facts of; a) the cost to publish the book, and, b) the retail cost of the book. This information should be disclosed to the authors as a matter of urgency, and as a courtesy.

It is unacceptable for a Board of Directors to simply issue a Fiat without giving reasons why, and when asked what information and/or data they used to arrive at their decision, the BoD should provide the information and data they used in making their decision. I have mentioned in a previous post, the authors should have been given access to the reasoning of the board, in order that they may have exercised their right of reply, and made their submissions to the board, stating their reasons why the project should be continued. Failure to observe procedural fairness is a cause for concern.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:52 AM   #75
barryfromvictoria

there is a lot of gearheads and hot rodders who would buy the book even though they have never owned a 35-36 p.u. just because they are interested in old fords. now who would have thought a v-8 club member might do that.
barryfromvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #76
Hamtown Al

The Early V-8 club seems to be going to allot of trouble to ensure that the NEXT elections will have the most participation in the club's history! The present Board can do better than what's been done so far.

Every governing body makes mistakes and good governing bodies will revisit them and make corrections as best they can.

It's time for EV-8 board to revisit the issue and get the book back on the road to completion.

In this day and age, printing and publication costs are fractional compared to what they used to be.

Let's get this truck show back on the road with apologies to all concerned for hitting the speed bump too fast and ruffling all the feathers of the birds riding in the back!

2 cents Al
Old 12-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #77
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtown Al View Post
The Early V-8 club seems to be going to allot of trouble to ensure that the NEXT elections will have the most participation in the club's history! The present Board can do better than what's been done so far.

Every governing body makes mistakes and good governing bodies will revisit them and make corrections as best they can.

It's time for EV-8 board to revisit the issue and get the book back on the road to completion.

In this day and age, printing and publication costs are fractional compared to what they used to be.

Let's get this truck show back on the road with apologies to all concerned for hitting the speed bump too fast and ruffling all the feathers of the birds riding in the back!

2 cents Al
Well said, Al, and it's worth more than 2 cents!!
Old 12-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #78
John R

Fe26 has made some very astute observations. The BOD simply did not deal with this matter in an ethical and business-like manner. More important, this episode has revealed several existential issues that must be addressed: the basic nature and purpose of the club (profit-making vs. non-profit), adherence to IRS requirements, and lack of financial disclosure to members. This calls for action by all EFV8 club members.
John
John R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #79
rotorwrench

I've never been a member if the Early Ford V8 club so I knew nothing about it and tend to compare it to other clubs I've been involved with. I took a very good look at their web-sit just fo sh!ts & grins and have come to the conclusion that it is a monster in size compared to anything I've ever been associated with. It has its hands in a lot of different pies. It appears to have vested intrest in more stuff than I can count on both hands. Now it definitely reminds me of the US government. Top heavy for sure. I could understand why it might be having money concerns with that sort of structure.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #80
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R View Post
Fe26 has made some very astute observations. The BOD simply did not deal with this matter in an ethical and business-like manner. More important, this episode has revealed several existential issues that must be addressed: the basic nature and purpose of the club (profit-making vs. non-profit), adherence to IRS requirements, and lack of financial disclosure to members. This calls for action by all EFV8 club members.
John

Thank you John,
I notice that Mr Cox has opened another thread on this topic. Some of the comments on the new thread have been intemperate. This will not advance the cause (which is to get the board of the EV8CoA to reconsider this most worthy project).

As I have previously said; enough information and queries have been gathered and gleaned from this discussion for a formal letter to be written to the BOD, regarding this project. Sufficient comment has been made, both on Fordbarn and the EFV8C site, to give weight to any arguments that can be made to the club for this project to be reinstated.

John, I support your point that some fundemental and structural issues seem to exist within the club. The next AGM should be interesting.

I now urge Messers Grayson and Cox to write the letter. In doing so a formal dialogue is opened, you are then able to properly mention your concerns, and put forward reasons and arguments why publication should continue. This is an important first step. Enough discussion has been had on the various forums, and I would suggest enough comments have been made for the BOD to now be aware of our concerns. They are not required to respond to opinions on forums, however they must respond to a formal letter.

I am a member of a regional group, and so have some legitimate standing. If I can be of any assistance in drafting some opinions and points for argument and discussion, I would be happy to do so. I'm sure many others here who have letter writing skills would be pleased to join me in this endeavour.

I believe the club is wrong to not publish the 35-36 Pickup book. To not put your case for reinstatement denies the members of the EFV8C, the opportunity to purchase a club sanctioned book. This is not a glib argument, in sanctioning the book, the book becomes an official club document, with a weight of reputation that cannot be matched. Also, the cost of the book sold through the club, would I suggest be lower than through private enterprise.

Lastly, to Mr Cox and Mr Grayson, you have been poorly treated and are entitled to feel resentful at that treatment. However I again urge you to take a professional attitude to this situation. If you do take a professional attitude, the BOD may see the error in judgement for what it is, an error, errors can be corrected. But first a calm, logical, polite and professional (yet firm) tone needs to be put into words. How else can the club respond if they have not been formally advised. In conveying our concerns to the club, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. And we, the 1935 and 1936 Pickup Truck owners, have everything to gain.

Last edited by Fe26; 12-08-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:28 PM   #81
Carbroke

BUMP!!

Time to bring this up for discussion again.

Jerry and Lawson,

Decided to bump this thread into the present as there are still a bunch of folks who need, want, and desire the valuable information you have collected on these Pickups.

There is next to zero info available on these rigs. Try and find info on body parts, fasteners to assemble them, etc. I dare you!

Screw the Ford Club @$$()^%! and self publish; reap the profits for yourselves. There are a ton of authors who publish on Amazon and kindle w/o a relationship to big national publishing houses. While not having gone through the process myself, I'd bet you could query any of these folks and get a lot of info as to how to do it.

We don't live forever, and one of the best ways of achieving at least a little immortality is to put out a book. Your efforts and time should not end up wasted!

Hell, for the info you have in your hands right now I'd pay $100.00 bucks for right now, today, rough draft and all.

Maybe, if you don't actually publish it, thats a way to progress; sell drafts directly (copyrighted of course) to those who want the information.

It's high time your hard work and sacrifice is made available to the world. Regardless of the Ford Club registry (there's at least ONE 1936 FORD Pickup not reflected in their registry because of the way you have been treated on this), you guys deserve to be recognized for the efforts, time, and money you put into this project.

Time to let it out. Having your estate try to figure out what to do with it is not what you want to happen. At 65 myself, I know that's not what I would want.
Carbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:08 AM   #82
36Bill

I would buy it.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:39 AM   #83
Brendan

so will i
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me and my pickup in tahoe!.jpg (82.7 KB, 20 views)

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:21 AM   #84
Don

I just found one that has never been registered!!!!
Old 03-30-2018, 08:58 AM   #85
KiWinUS

I too would like one.
Thanks
cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:12 AM   #86
Steve in Denver

Get a price and start taking orders and do a run of 100. Put me down for a copy, Steve Kennedy in Denver. I know another guy in town with a pickup that will probably want one as well.
Steve in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:35 AM   #87
Dave/Green Bay

I would buy one even though I don't own a pickup , YET Put me on the list.

Last edited by Dave/Green Bay; 03-30-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Dave/Green Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #88
JM 35 Sedan

I've purchased every restoration book the EFV-8 Club has available, and would have purchased this one as well. It's unfortunate that this effort did not happen, but I am hopeful that someone else will take this project on in the future and make it happen. I've seen some beautiful examples of these vehicles restored to the V-8 Club's Dearborn level at meets I've attended in the last 10 years, so I know the knowledge exists that could make this happen.
In the meantime, I would suggest that anyone who is presently restoring one of these vehicles, seek the information you need from those folks who have already restored one, and received their Dearborn Award. The EFV-8 Club Roster may be your friend for making some of these connections.

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-30-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:14 AM   #89
Kerk

LeBaron-Bonney took the interior out for the pattern's from my 35 to get the panel's made Many years ago! My son has the 37 that was used for pattern's as well. He is the 3rd owner and Lee was the 2nd. I hauled the 37 home for him .It is now a driver for my son. kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:55 PM   #90
1936 ford pickup

I would Purchase one of these '35-'36 Pickup restoration books as well, as I own a '36 Ford pickup (but am not on the Roster).

Thank you,

Bruce Smith
Modesto, Ca.
1936 ford pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:33 PM   #91
totto

Sign me up one too! Trucks are my thing" and have a "34 PU and '37 dump. We need more info on these Fords; more and more trucks are being restored.
totto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:04 AM   #92
felix 40

I'd buy a book. they are such beautiful trucks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010459 (Custom).JPG (116.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg P1030034 (Custom).JPG (141.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 04-01-2018, 10:30 AM   #93
BlacktopScraper

I'm not sure if this was brought up in prior threads of this post, but what about a " Go Fund Me" page for the book? I would gladly donate and buy a copy. My wife owns a '35 pick up truck and I need the resource material.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '35 Ford Pick Up.jpg (44.6 KB, 31 views)
BlacktopScraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #94
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacktopScraper View Post
I'm not sure if this was brought up in prior threads of this post, but what about a " Go Fund Me" page for the book? I would gladly donate and buy a copy. My wife owns a '35 pick up truck and I need the resource material.
That may work, but you need to see some hard numbers on what it will cost to produce a certain number of books. The big question is how many to print. As a general rule printing small amounts is more costly per book than larger amounts. Color photos automatically raise the cost per book. Also you will pay a desk top publisher to get the book ready for printing. Then there's advertising costs to get the word out to buyers and shipping costs to get the book to the buyers. The last question is how many actual buyers are out there, which has to be factored into the sale price in order to at least make the project break even. Lots of questions to be answered and I may have missed a factor or two that could increase the cost. Those questions should be answered before starting a "Go Fund Me "page. Personally I would pass on contributing until I saw some hard numbers and factors that would tell me that the project would not wind up in the red.
Over time I have seen books printed by the V-8 Club that people just couldn't wait to see come to fruition. Some have sold 400-500 books and then sales slow down to almost zero. They then rest on the shelf collecting dust and the V-8 Club pays storage on them.
I know the V-8 Club Board of Directors took a long hard look at the numbers before they made their decision not to go forward with this book. I'm sure others outside the club have done the math and realized it's a project doomed to go into the red. Now if Mr. Carbroke would volunteer to finance the project I encourage him to go for it.

Here's a thought that benefits the entire V-8 Club. Have Mr.Cox and Mr. Grayson write bi-monthly articles in the V-8 Times concerning these trucks. They can use their gathered material and every member benefits from the knowledge. All they need to do is talk to V-8 Times Editor Jerry Windle about printing the material and the cost is built right into the subscription of the V-8 Times.

Last edited by TJ; 04-01-2018 at 01:26 PM. Reason: add info
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:50 PM   #95
DavidG

Tom,

Wise counsel.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:45 PM   #96
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix 40 View Post
I'd buy a book. they are such beautiful trucks
I'll second that! Your '35 is a show stopper, absolutely stunning! I really enjoy seeing it at the Sharon, Wisconsin Model A meet in June.

Take care

Jeff (also own a '36 pickup)

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 04-02-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:51 PM   #97
Jeff/Illinois

Put me down for one too! '35-'36 Ford pickups are kinda like Golden Retrievers, everybody loves 'em!

I just bought a book on the '69 Mach 1 Mustangs, dedicated to just that year of Mach 1. It was just published in 2018, printed in China as most books seem to be today,,,, really enjoy it and it was about 23 bucks with S&H.

I say go ahead and by-pass the EFV-8 Club and print it yourself. By cutting out that middleman they will get their well deserved slap in the face, maybe then they will get the message.

I belonged to them once upon a time but quit them after what they did to Lawson and Jerry. That was uncalled for.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:28 AM   #98
36Bill

I would buy an on line, print it myself version. Even a CD that I could use as a reference. The information is what I need. Lawson and Jerry as well as many others on the Barn help but having it would speed things up.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:19 AM   #99
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacktopScraper View Post
Nice pickup! Don't ya just love the '35's and '36's
Old 04-02-2018, 08:34 AM   #100
Rick1935

I would buy a book
Rick1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #101
Steve in Denver

A quick count shows 20 confirmed purchases. How many pages is it? How many color?
Steve in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #102
johndee138

make it 21 confirmed
johndee138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:25 PM   #103
Teltruck

I would buy a book also!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (11.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-02-2018, 05:12 PM   #104
Ks Muleskinner

Put me down for one please.
Ks Muleskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:24 PM   #105
banjoQ

I would be interested in a hard copy book or digital copy. This kind of compilation would be invaluable. Q
banjoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:23 AM   #106
Kerk

I would also BUY a book. Have several of those that are available including all 3 editions of the 35/36 book ! kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:55 AM   #107
RobR'35

I'd be interested in buying the book too.
RobR'35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #108
JM 35 Sedan

The topic of this book came up at some previous EFV-8 Club National Meets, and I'm thinking this would be a good topic for further discussion at the clubs Grand National Meet in Dearborn MI this June.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:39 AM   #109
vulture

I would be interested in a book and you never can learn enough
Old 04-03-2018, 08:19 PM   #110
Carbroke

Quote:
That may work, ....... Now if Mr. Carbroke would volunteer to finance the project I encourage him to go for it.

Here's a thought that benefits the entire V-8 Club. Have Mr.Cox and Mr. Grayson write bi-monthly articles in the V-8 Times concerning these trucks. They can use their gathered material and every member benefits from the knowledge. All they need to do is talk to V-8 Times Editor Jerry Windle about printing the material and the cost is built right into the subscription of the V-8 Times.
That idea might have some merit, but not sure I want to join that group in order to get the news letter. I think the actual book is preferable to me.

I, also, buy a lot of books on makes I don't own, just to have the info on a car or truck I like. While Ford is not my 1st brand of choice, I buy books on Fords.

Precious little exists on these trucks in the way of detail, yet nearly every passenger vehicle has books ad nauseum covering all details to the last screw or pin.

I am just trying my very best to put this truck together in as correct a fashion as possible, and if someone has already accrued the info I need, why am I reinventing the wheel here? Plus, any small info I can find, even here on the board, there is ALWAYS a differing opinion as to what was correct, what finish, etc. We need a definitive "Bible", if you will, of what's what.

So until something of substance exists on these trucks, don't anyone ever tell me something ain't correct on my truck; because 99.999% of us don't know for sure.

Seems to me that the one club whose entire existence is to comb thru Fords old records in a quest to preserve the early V8 info, is not doing their job.

Last edited by Carbroke; 04-03-2018 at 08:20 PM. Reason: because
Old 04-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #111
Teltruck

Have two 1936 Pickups. Hope the book gets published especially after all of the time spent on getting it together! Will definitely purchase one!
Bob
Old 04-05-2018, 07:40 AM   #112
Adam/Mill Valley CA

Count me in!
Adam
1970 911E 2.2 litre dark blue/black
1968 BMW R50/2 US, black (m'cycle)
1967 Triumph TR6R , sea foam/cream (m'cycle)
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 red (m'cycle)
1974 Honda CB750 red (m'cycle)
2000 Kawasaki W650 blue/silver (m'cycle)
Adam/Mill Valley CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:29 AM   #113
35fordtn

[QUOTE=Carbroke;1613119]That idea might have some merit, but not sure I want to join that group in order to get the news letter. I think the actual book is preferable to me.
Seems to me that the one club whose entire existence is to comb thru Fords old records in a quest to preserve the early V8 info, is not doing their job”

I’d presume many on this thread aren’t V-8 Club members. The V-8 Times is NOT a newsletter, but a top notch magazine. The Magazine alone makes it worthwhile to join the club!
Just as TJ stated articles submitted by the authors for use in the V-8 Times is a very easy way to address common questions and and things related to these pickups. I have truthfully learned more in the hobby from V-8 Times articles than anything else.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:30 PM   #114
KGS

Since 3-29-18 when this thread was re-opened,
Mr. Cox and Mr. Grayson haven't given any response.
Maybe some input from either of them would be useful.
Ken
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:19 PM   #115
Carbroke

I too was hoping they would engage in discussions as to how their book could be brought to fruition, but likely they have moved on and just want it behind them. Can't blame them.

If it were me who'd been hung out to dry, I would avenge my good honor by publishing it myself. As I said, Amazon has changed the publishing world, and a plethora of "amateur" authors are going that route and having great success. It is just an alternative I had hoped they might have availed themselves of as a way of finishing their quest.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #116
Jeff/Illinois

Carbroke is absolutely right. They don't need the EFV-8 Club to bring that book to print. Those days are gone. Go out and do it yourself.

As I said in an earlier post I just bought a softbound book published this year solely on the '69 Mach 1 Mustang, and it is excellent. Lots of information and color pictures. And it really wasn't very expensive anyway.

I really appreciate people who go to the work to put this together.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #117
DavidG

Maybe, just maybe, it wasn't/isn't anywhere near print ready, hence the silence from those in the know.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:28 PM   #118
Steve Seidl

I don't believe the National club has any agenda either. I would talk with some of the authors of other restoration books to get their read> I would not give up. There is likely great interest in such a publication besides the EFV8 Club.
Steve Seidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:38 PM   #119
JR48

If everyone who expressed interest in this book, and I think it an important book, committed $50.00 - $100 for their pre-paid copy I'm sure that the authors could reach their publishing-cost target. They are both long-term reliable figures in our Ford fraternity and deserve to be supported. I'd be down for a couple of copies on that basis. Perhaps they can give us a ball-park figure of what they need to finish the job. These days printing & pre-press costs are down, and just spiral bind it. Can't wait to see it! Good luck!
JR48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:21 PM   #120
VeryTangled

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...5169&showall=1

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:06 PM   #121
Carbroke

Tangled,

Thanks for the trip to the past. Interesting read.

Still, much has changed in the 7 years since the BOD made their dastardly move to kill the information brought forth by Jerry and Lawson. I say dastardly because of the complete lack of cooperation and backroom decisions exhibited by them.

How different is the club officer roster in 2018 as opposed to 2011? Might a change of heart on their part allow a finish to this book? At least an open discussion with the two authors could be done; a re-examination of costs to complete since the publishing world is now so dramatically different today.

Were it me in Jerry and Lawson's spot though, I think I would salute them with my mid-most finger and go on about my business.

In the meantime, with a complete lack of authoritative restoration info, I think I'm just gonna go buy a bunch of hardware at Home Depot and put it back together by whatever means I can. All new shiny hardware from china. Seems fitting. Ford always liked a good deal when he could find it.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #122
jerry grayson

lawson and I have health issues and would be unable to do much research.
also we sent all of our research and a rough beginning of the 35-36 pickup book to Don
Rogers some time ago. I have not talked to Don in a long time, so I don't know what
his plans for the stuff are.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:15 PM   #123
Lawson Cox

I'm with Jerry on this.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:19 AM   #124
36Bill

Jerry and Lawson, thank you for all that you have done, I wish you well and I'm sorry you were treated poorly.

Bill
Old 05-03-2018, 07:16 AM   #125
bobfrev

I have one i am working on right now, why not just publish it yourself? I know several people that have written and published their pwn books and sold through Amazon, etc, with the internet and social media, its very easy today for anyone to publish small run books on any subject
bobfrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:16 PM   #126
Jeff/Illinois

With over 11,000 hits on this thread I'd say there is plenty of interest in this project.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:14 PM   #127
Clem Clement

Can we do a "Wikipedia- effort? Post what we have and let each of us contribute what we know. A book in progress on line so to speak???
Old 10-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #128
35 v8

I started the restoration on my 1935 pickup about a month ago. I really need good references. This sounds like it would be ideal. My father bought this pickup from the original owner in 1959 because he was 85 and had decided to give up driving. Cost $150. After three years of it being used as grease wagon on the farm the engine froze up. I was a high school senior and joined an auto club and put a 46 engine with a 53 merc crank three stombergs. At that point mileage was 19,000. Joined the Navy for 24 years. During this time it was stolen off the farm. Where it passed through several hands. In 2006 I was informed that someone had just purchased a truck that sounded like mine. Checked it out and the guy agreed to sell it to me for $800. During the years it was gone several people tried to take it apart the engine was torn down and the merc crank was missing and all of the goodies. Unfortunately people had used a smoke wrench on the bolts holding fenders, which messed up the sheet metal some what. Bottom line there a lot of things I need to learn. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
35 v8
35 v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:30 PM   #129
35 v8

I started the restoration on my 1935 pickup about a month ago. I really need good references. This sounds like it would be ideal. My father bought this pickup from the original owner in 1959 because he was 85 and had decided to give up driving. Cost $150. After three years of it being used as grease wagon on the farm the engine froze up. I was a high school senior and joined an auto club and put a 46 engine with a 53 merc crank three stombergs. At that point mileage was 19,000. Joined the Navy for 24 years. During this time it was stolen off the farm. Where it passed through several hands. In 2006 I was informed that someone had just purchased a truck that sounded like mine. Checked it out and the guy agreed to sell it to me for $800. During the years it was gone several people tried to take it apart the engine was torn down and the merc crank was missing and all of the goodies. Unfortunately people had used a smoke wrench on the bolts holding fenders, which messed up the sheet metal some what. Bottom line there a lot of things I need to learn. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
35 v8
35 v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:42 AM   #130
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry grayson View Post
lawson and I have health issues and would be unable to do much research.
also we sent all of our research and a rough beginning of the 35-36 pickup book to Don
Rogers some time ago. I have not talked to Don in a long time, so I don't know what
his plans for the stuff are.

Bummer, I hope you both are doing well! Thank you!

Printing something that maybe incomplete is better then not. It can always be amended. Anyone talked to Don?

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #131
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Don was last on the Barn today at 3:47am, so should be able to ask him directly.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #132
DavidG

Your best and only hope for the existing material on '35-'36 pickups, which I understand is incomplete as it stands and has not been completely verified against Ford's archival records, to be printed by the Club is for Don to include it in an revision of the existing '35-'36 book. Only Don can speak to the odds of that happening.

In all of the hand wringing on this subject I have yet to see anyone raise their hand to volunteer to take on completing what Jerry and Lawson have developed. Further, as always, there are two sides to every story and this thread from the very beginning has been an airing of only one side.