Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2015, 09:07 PM   #1
farmboy

Default Saving a family treasure...(1936 1and1/2 ton)

I'm new to the forum, and excited to find this, as I see there's a wealth of knowledge on here that I may need at times, and also some may enjoy my sharing of the story and full restoration of this old truck.

This truck was purchased by my Great Grandfather in 1936 and was used on his farm for hauling grain, cotton, cotton choppers, and cotton picking crews on his farm. He used it for years until he passed away in the mid 60's. His son, (my grandfathers brother) wound up with the truck and used it as well. Sometime in the 70's it was parked in a barn where it sat for a couple decades. When he passed away suddenly in the 80's his son had the truck, and eventually it got put in a fence row. The truck meant a lot to my grandfather as he was 14 years old when the truck originally came to the farm. He asked our cousin if he's let us restore the old truck, but it could still be his, he just wanted to see it preserved, he actually afforded to shed it for him as well. He said he would think about it, but wanted to restore it himself. Well about 10 years went by after than, and I got a call from my cousin as she had heard I was interested in the old truck. She said it weighed heavy on her heart, that this old truck of her Grandfathers was waisting away. So we made a deal, and after not seeing the truck for myself in several years, I bought it basically sight unseen...lol But my Grandfather who has now passed, wanted his dad's old truck fixed up so, that I feel obiligated to do what he always wanted.

When I arrived to get the truck, this is what I saw, it was overgrown in vines and brush, but somehow in incredibly decent shape. We loaded the truck and now have it home. I had some time to work a bit on it today, I soaked the pistons, but curiosity got the best of me as I wanted to let it soak, I gently turned engine at the pully, and in amazement, the engine turned freely, not seized in the least, it did appear some valves might be stuck, but I plan to pull the engine and fully overhaul. I plan on fully restoring this beauty with my dad! Any help along the way from you guys would be so much appreciated!

If you look close on the door panel, you can still see my Great grandfathers name on the side! I have to say I got a bit emotional when I saw that. I'm excited to own and restore a piece of family and American history!

Thanks...Bret
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:16 PM   #2
fourfords

Default Re: Saving a family treasure...(1936 1and1/2 ton)

You are now living in the heart and soul of this hobby. I couldn't be happier for you and your new project. The best V8'rs in the world are on this forum and are eager to help along your way. Please keep all of us posted on your adventure!
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #3
deuce_roadster

Bret, the truck looks incredibly complete, even has the original mirror bracket. You are correct that there is a wealth of info available here. Lots of truck guy too! (I have a 40 COE project.) keep us posted with your progress. You might update your info, there may be a barner that lives near you. Welcome!
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:32 PM   #4
Dave in WY

Way to Go!!! That is SO COOL!!!! Best of luck on the project!! Looks like a good solid truck to work with.
Dave
Dave in WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #5
GaryU.

Wonder if it started out life as a Demonstrator truck with the yellow paint. Is there any lettering visible above the windshield? Glad it came out of the brush for you.
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #6
farmboy

Thanks guys.... Gary, my dad remembers the truck from the 50's and 60's and said it was blue, it appears blue paint was brushed on it, but the lettering on the door that is still partially visible with my Great grandpa's name and town, was stenciled over the yellow it looked like? I like the yellow and black myself, my dad wants it blue? We will see....gonna get it running first, got a long ways before we are to that point. I will look above the windshield...
Old 09-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #7
farmboy

Loading her up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tygKu3iJZqo

Last edited by farmboy; 09-10-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:55 PM   #8
Bob C

Like Gary said maybe one of these.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_1.JPG (32.2 KB, 305 views)
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:10 PM   #9
Mike in AZ

welcome to the 'Barn.....great truck.....have fun with the project.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:13 PM   #10
farmboy

Bob, was the stripe on the wheels standard on these, or on the demonstrator ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (117.0 KB, 171 views)
Old 09-10-2015, 10:23 PM   #11
COE Dan

Bret,

Welcome to the forum and to the world of Ford V8s. As you get into your project, you may find the big truck parts are a bit less common. However, don't get discouraged. Parts are out there - my '47 COE shares wheel bearings with 2003 F-150 pickups if you can believe that. There are a number of folks with the big trucks who have plenty of knowledge to share and are great leads on where to get parts or data. Just ask - it's what I do all the time and I've never come up empty handed on FordBarn.

Dan
COE Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:31 PM   #12
4t8v8

Welcome. And a warning. This hobby can be habit forming, so be careful!! I have been in it for nearly 70 years and still enjoying every minute. You have something very special there. There are a lot of great guys on this forum who will help you. Keep us updated. Congratulations. (I wish mine had looked that good when I started on it!)
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:39 PM   #13
Fredb_

Great looking truck and worthy project. Welcome to the barn.
Fredb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:18 PM   #14
Ol' Ron

Love trucks, many parts available to fix them up. My biggest worry about that on is the frame. Yes, welcome and the best luck with your project.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:46 AM   #15
flathead48

Welcome and the best of luck with your restoration project.
flathead48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:46 PM   #16
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU. View Post
Wonder if it started out life as a Demonstrator truck with the yellow paint. Is there any lettering visible above the windshield? Glad it came out of the brush for you.
Kool, I wonder if its a Demonstrator also, could the black you say be Washington blue. it is a dark blue and could look like black

Keep us posted!!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:04 PM   #17
Bulligen

That sure looks like the demonstrator model !
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:11 PM   #18
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Cool !welcome Bret ,plenty of help here .Ted
Old 09-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #19
LBs 37V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Love trucks, many parts available to fix them up. My biggest worry about that on is the frame.
What he said...
Badly rusted frame on my '37 required a replacement donor chassis, in this case tho a car chassis.
LBs 37V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:21 PM   #20
Jeff/Illinois

Bret- neat story and neat truck! Good luck this deserves to be restored and kept in the family! Are you going to have it re-lettered in your grandfather's name? Pretty far down the road but that would be cool!

'35-'36 Ford Trucks and Pickups are the best! Love 'em!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #21
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBs 37V8 View Post
What he said...
Badly rusted frame on my '37 required a replacement donor chassis, in this case tho a car chassis.
It's rusty of course, but I think it's very solid. I'm gonna remove the bed before long to get the crust off good and replace the wood down there. I'll be showing pics and getting advice on here and locally bout the frame when time comes! Thanks for the help!
Old 09-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #22
corvette8n

Do take and post pictures as the restore progresses, looks like a fun project.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #23
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy View Post
It's rusty of course, but I think it's very solid. I'm gonna remove the bed before long to get the crust off good and replace the wood down there. I'll be showing pics and getting advice on here and locally bout the frame when time comes! Thanks for the help!
I'd bet the frame would be good, usually large truck are...probably has solid cab corners, rockers and lower front cowls as well.

Sitting in the vines like that, might want to look at the inner side of the window frame though.

I love anything 35/6 truck!

Have fun with the project.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:26 PM   #24
Vanspeed

Sure looks like it could be a demonstrator from your pics. Your wheels have the same pinstripe. Pretty rare if it is as I imagine most demonstrators are long gone. Very cool piece of family history.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:26 PM   #25
JAKEFORD

It's 95% cleaning and oil soaking and 5 % mechanical / electrical. Take your time and exercise patience. This is one strong truck.
JAKEFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #26
Capt Kirk

Bret, great story...I'm so happy for you. You've got a great project there and the family history is amazing. At some point, you're going to have a question and I'll answer that before you have even thought of that question. My dad owned my car back in the early 40's (it's a 35) and it's been in the family ever since. I got faced with the decision to build it back to the way it rolled off of the assembly line or restore it back to the way my dad had it. I posed that question on the Barn and after everybody read the story of my car (similar to your story) the resounding response was to restore it the way my dad had it. With that in mind, honor that truck as a family heirloom and not a product of an assembly line or what the current value is. The value lies in the history! You've come to the right place to get answers as you begin the restoration. If you add up all the old Ford V8 experience in years on this site, I'm sure it adds up to 1,000,000 with a few people, that I won't name here, making up the bulk of that!
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #27
39topless

Great project and welcome. Just a suggestion, as you are doing this, keep a REALLY detailed log of everything you do to this truck. Photos, videos, receipts etc. You will be amazed at how quickly you forget things and a running log will prove a valuable, and entertaining asset.
Good luck and, "KEEP ON TRUCKIN!!"
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:52 PM   #28
farmboy

Thanks for all the awesome feedback fellas I knew I come to the right place, I may be wearing you all out before it's over! I have thought hard about restoring it like my grandfather had it and putting his name on the side. What the truck is worth after we are done means absolutely nothing to me, my grandfather wanted this truck saved and that's the main reason I'm doing it ! I also have a six-year-old son to pass this down to, to me that means everything !

I'm going to try to work on it from time to time this fall but it will be this winter when I can focus on it like a job as it is my downtime on the farm you will be hearing a lot more for me then LOL!

I do however nearly having engine ready to remove I'm going to try to get the ball rolling on that the carburetor is completely froze up I have seen where can buy new ones I may consider doing that but I'm going to soak this one first and see where were at
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.6 KB, 136 views)
Old 09-11-2015, 09:14 PM   #29
4t8v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39topless View Post
Great project and welcome. Just a suggestion, as you are doing this, keep a REALLY detailed log of everything you do to this truck. Photos, videos, receipts etc. You will be amazed at how quickly you forget things and a running log will prove a valuable, and entertaining asset.
Good luck and, "KEEP ON TRUCKIN!!"
This is excellent advice. Mine was a rust bucket when I started on it in '84. It had to be stripped to the frame and built from the ground up. I took the time to keep records and many pictures of the tear down, restoration and re-assembly. I still have the receipts for every part I found and bought. Now, 30 years later it is fun to go back and remember.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:43 PM   #30
paul2748

Before you sand down that door, try to figure out the details on the lettering (size, etc) so you can replicate it.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:56 PM   #31
Clem Clement

Welcome. Best wishes on the truck. Does she have a name as yet? As you work on it, you will feel generations of your family about you
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #32
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
Welcome. Best wishes on the truck. Does she have a name as yet? As you work on it, you will feel generations of your family about you
It's funny you say that, as we nickname things on the farm all the time. My old Mack I haul with is "Ole Blue", my white dodge farm truck we call the "white goat" and the list goes on. My great grandfather was referred to as "Pop Palmer" by all his grandkids, so it's always been call "Pop Palmers truck". so guess that's what we are calling it for now.

There a number he wrote on the the top of the cab inside..72 and1/2, im guessing that is the number of bushels he was hauling of something possibly and he wanted to remember it? So many cool things about the truck, I have thought about doing the lettering like the original, that is what i'm leaning on doing.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:13 PM   #33
al's28/33

Great story......welcome......don't' be shy ask anything and search the old threads there is a ton of advice here!!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #34
Model51

Great truck. My restoration expertise is limited to 1935 and 1936 Ford big trucks, hence my handle "Model 51". If you have any questions about your truck, I'm happy to give you my opinion. I have most of the Ford truck literature for these trucks and almost 200 drawings from the Ford Dearborn research library just on Model 51 parts. Your truck looks very complete and doesn't look modified which will be a great help in your restoration efforts.
Dave
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #35
V12Bill

The stripe on the picture of the trucks front wheel while still in the brush, matches the strip that Bob C and Farmboy submitted. Apparently you do have not only a rare Demonstrator, but one with a lot of original paint!!!
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #36
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, farmboy, WOW, just WOW. You are a lucky guy.

Can't wait to hear how the story continues. Those pinstriped wheels are a smoking gun!

I'm trying to find the word PALMER on the door, but just can't see it yet. What does the door say?

Sorry I'm such a pill, but why not support the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

My avatar courtesy of 41ford1. Pic is him and Ol' Ron pondering life's questions.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #37
farmboy

Wow, this is really getting exciting, the demonstrator possibility of this has me rethinking how I'd want to restore it. Made it official today with our cousin, and she brought some old pictures she found! Check this out, word for word what is on there. If u look on the driver door u can still make out this cursive styling faintly. Thing is, dad and the cousins remember it being blue as he paint brushes it blue it appears. The yellow can back after years in the fence row. I'm overwhelmed all the enthusiasm from you folks, I'm really excited, but wondering how I want to paint it now. Right now a ways to go before I do that, gonna check out engine in next week hopefully depending on work! Bret
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.5 KB, 195 views)
Old 09-12-2015, 06:19 PM   #38
39topless

As an "old" sign painter, I can tell you that the lettering on the door was not done by a professional sign painter of that era. That was probably applied by who ever owned the truck at the time (an amateur but a skilled one).
Old 09-12-2015, 07:03 PM   #39
Mike B

Quote:
As an "old" sign painter, I can tell you that the lettering on the door was not done by a professional sign painter of that era. That was probably applied by who ever owned the truck at the time (an amateur but a skilled one).
Care to explain?
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #40
Clem Clement

Can you leave POP Palmers writing on the truck. Can you carefully remove the brush blue paint and save the yellow? Ask the truck : she will tell you
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:19 AM   #41
GaryU.

There is a demonstrator truck that is listed on E-pay right for sale,lots of good pics. It was in Milwaukee area years ago and now about an hour away in Columbus,Wis. Auction number is
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:23 AM   #42
41panelmark

That is a great truck, love the big trucks. Keep us posted on the progress.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #43
cohammer60

Guess I have been watching too many gas monkey garage shows . I would love to see a truck like that cleaned up and clear coated so all the old details remain just as is on the panels .
cohammer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:57 PM   #44
farmboy

Here's another neat old pic I found yesterday in my cousins old pictures. Looks like it did anything from hauling logs to the sawmill to helping friends move.

Cohammer60, I've got several telling me to do that, it was never yellow while "pop" was using it, so decisions decisions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.6 KB, 129 views)
Old 09-13-2015, 06:52 PM   #45
Fe26

There's a saying in our hobby/profession "It's only original once." Given that you have a rare demonstrator model, and the close family connection, with paint, signage etc. I would agree with cohammer60. Leave it as a time capsule. I'll offer an experience that many here have had at car shows, when people first get a glimpse of an original vehicle they'll walk right past all the beautiful restorations to get up close and personal with the real deal. The real deal can't be faked (although that's now become an industry all by itself) and people crave the genuine.
Your truck as it now stands is the living proof of it's history, change one thing and you change the story as it is written on the truck. Even what appears to be a bad part of it's history (left outside for years) has had a beneficial outcome in that the branches wore away some blue paint to expose the original colour, that can't be faked, you can't make up a history like that, and that history is also part of your story.
My opinion is to do the bare minimum, excepting brakes, lights, mechanical etc. But before you start take it to a local car show, you will be surprised at how many people will look and comment, also, some will tell you of parts they have tucked away, and you will hear their stories. This is valuable, admittedly you'll have to humour a few old-timers but you will hear some great things. After you have done this and got the truck back home, then comes the time to take your time to decide which way you want to go. Whatever your way is, good luck.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:01 PM   #46
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe26 View Post
There's a saying in our hobby/profession "It's only original once." Given that you have a rare demonstrator model, and the close family connection, with paint, signage etc. I would agree with cohammer60. Leave it as a time capsule. I'll offer an experience that many here have had at car shows, when people first get a glimpse of an original vehicle they'll walk right past all the beautiful restorations to get up close and personal with the real deal. The real deal can't be faked (although that's now become an industry all by itself) and people crave the genuine.
Your truck as it now stands is the living proof of it's history, change one thing and you change the story as it is written on the truck. Even what appears to be a bad part of it's history (left outside for years) has had a beneficial outcome in that the branches wore away some blue paint to expose the original colour, that can't be faked, you can't make up a history like that, and that history is also part of your story.
My opinion is to do the bare minimum, excepting brakes, lights, mechanical etc. But before you start take it to a local car show, you will be surprised at how many people will look and comment, also, some will tell you of parts they have tucked away, and you will hear their stories. This is valuable, admittedly you'll have to humour a few old-timers but you will hear some great things. After you have done this and got the truck back home, then comes the time to take your time to decide which way you want to go. Whatever your way is, good luck.

Thanks so much to everybody, i'm overwhelmed at the feedback you fine folks have given me. This is great advice here, and eloquently said! The final decision will be a joint one, as my dad who actually rode in this truck as a kid with Pop Palmer, will get the final say just out of respect. I agree that there is no truck in the world that looks like this. I may take your advice and after it's drivable again, take it to local car display and just see what folks say and think about her. I wish the old signage was more readable, its really hard to see at certain light angles, but it's there none the less. thanks again to all!
Old 09-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #47
Firepower flyer

If you need more photos of the demonstrator that's mentioned above I have lots of pictures of it, I know the guy that had it on Craigslist for sale here in Milwaukee. It was recently purchased and is back up for sale. Do a fourm search on demonstrator I posted pictures a few years ago when my friend found it.Congrats on the truck!!!

I just searched my old post but the pics are not there anymore,I think I used image shack to post them.If you need them in the future pm your email and I can try to send them that way.
Firepower flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #48
V12Bill

Quote:
Here's another neat old pic I found yesterday in my cousins old pictures. Looks like it did anything from hauling logs to the sawmill to helping friends move.

Cohammer60, I've got several telling me to do that, it was never yellow while "pop" was using it, so decisions decisions!
When "Pop" bought the truck, it was probably painted with the "Demonstrator" paint scheme. The first thing he would have done would be to buy a couple of quarts of paint and brush over that "ugly" yellow and blue paint and the commercial lettering. He probably got a good price from the original Ford dealer who now had an out of date truck with an odd paint scheme and lettering.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:16 AM   #49
Chris

Very, very neat! Such a great piece of not only your family history, but history of Ford
Old 09-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #50
jerseyboy

Such a cool story and truck. One other benefit of not taking it completely apart, more time to drive it.

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:46 PM   #51
BlueSunoco

How cool!! And to have original pictures of this truck!! Please keep us updated very interesting story!
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:28 PM   #52
farmboy

Well I've got a few parts ordered for the engine on the way! When I get caughtup later in the week we may try to go ahead and pull the engine! Question is can I not pull the engine with the transmission attached? I want to inspect it as well! Bear with me as I'm learning as I go. I got a friend suppose to help me when time comes who has more experience on things like this. Thanks Bret.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #53
Chris

Quote:
Well I've got a few parts ordered for the engine on the way! When I get caughtup later in the week we may try to go ahead and pull the engine! Question is can I not pull the engine with the transmission attached? I want to inspect it as well! Bear with me as I'm learning as I go. I got a friend suppose to help me when time comes who has more experience on things like this. Thanks Bret.

You can pull the engine and trans as one unit, just remove the grill and radiator, unbolt the rear of the trans at the torque tube, trans mount, speedo cable, clutch linkage and remove the shift lever (watch that the little pin in the top of the shift tower does not fall into the transmission). For the engine, unbolt the motor mounts, hoses, wiring, exhaust, linkage, etc and hoist it out. It will be pretty heavy, make sure you have a good engine crane. It's also easy to remove the intake and I use that surface to lift from. put your chain twards the back of the block and the trans should off set it and make it pull out pretty level
Old 09-14-2015, 06:10 PM   #54
Capt Kirk

Bret, you may be able to find an artist that's good enough to replicate the lettering on the doors just enough to enhance what was there...not to the point that it looks all brand new but in a rustic, worn way. There are some amazing artists out there (I'm not one of them!). I agree with FE26...there are likely numerous trucks like yours that have been restored and if you decide to restore it the way it came off the assembly line then you can just toss your truck into the pool with them. Doing so, destroys the family story. You could restore it back to the day that your grandfather painted it blue and did the lettering on the doors. That would preserve the way your grandfather wanted the truck and the way it was when he used it. You can preserve it the way it was when you found it. You'd loose some of what your grandfather wanted but would preserve the life history of the vehicle after your grandfather and father parked it out in the field. Would your grandfather...would your dad want it put back with new blue and lettering? My situation was a little different, when I got the 35 from my dad, the body work had been done and it was primered (back in the 70's) and it was clearly my dad's intention to restore it like new. I restored the car the way he would have wanted it. Sorry dad but the black rustoleum paint on the firewall and dash had to go! My dad saw the car before he died and I was told he was proud. Bret, whatever your decision is, make your dad and your grandfather proud first and foremost.
Empty wallet
Old 09-14-2015, 06:23 PM   #55
farmboy

I talked to my dad about it today and he is still pretty adamant about restoring it like his grandfather had it, blue paint with the cursive signage. He says this is not a show truck but a family heirloom and that's what means most to him, but I agree with what you all are saying as well. The final decision will be his of course, but the unique way that it looks now and a demonstrator truck wildcard has definately made it an interesting decision for me
Old 09-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #56
49fordv8f4

Bret, That is a very nice truck. I think I would have to agree with your dad, restore it like it was when your grandpa owned it. I would definitely take lots of photos of the signage on the door and have someone repaint that as close to the original as possible. I think I would spray the paint on instead of using a brush like grandpa though.
Mark
P.S. I sent you a PM
49fordv8f4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:33 PM   #57
Capt Kirk

Bret, the decision has been made. Makes life easier for you! You're not the owner of the truck...you're the caretaker of it. You're not going to sell it so it doesn't matter if it's worth $5 or $500,000. You're dad's "adamant"...hell, I'd think that if he even "suggested" that it be put back the way grandpa had it...that would be enough. The truck will always be a Demonstrator regardless of what it looks like! Respect your dad's wishes because he's probably basing that on what he (and not you) knows his dad would want. There's the Rat Rod crowd out there and your truck would be a great candidate for that. I might be a little anal in that respect...I like things that are different than that. In accordance with your dad's wishes (take a ton of pictures), paint it the color blue that's on there and hire an artist to letter the doors. When it's done...and your dad sees it for the first time...I bet he has tears in his eyes!
Empty wallet
Old 09-15-2015, 10:31 PM   #58
farmboy

I am going to have to replace all the glass in the truck it looks like, I've seen some window kits on ebay in the 300 dollar range. Thought about going to my local glass shop and see if they could cut some to fit and price that. What have you guys done in the past to replace your glass/windshields? Was there any tint used back then in the glass, im assuming there wasn't? thanks Bret
Old 09-16-2015, 07:30 AM   #59
alan

it is all flat glass, the hardest piece to replace is the windshield, it is a two piece frame and must be separated to replace the glass (after it is removed from the cab), back window is a rubber seal, door glass sits in a channel across the bottom. I just did a 35 car and the cost for all the channels, glass, gaskets was less than $200. one thing to look into is the sliding back glass-sure makes the cab cooler in the summer. no tint, I used a light green tint in my 41 truck and you can hardly tell. good luck
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #60
farmboy

I noticed it had two layers of glass? Does it have to be replaced like that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (30.9 KB, 56 views)
Old 09-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #61
farmboy

Also....getting ready to pull the moter, we've taken off moter mounts and such, and took nuts off this. From here how do u detach the shaft from the tranny? (My ford service manuals haven't arrived yet. . Thanks Bret
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (36.0 KB, 57 views)
Old 09-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #62
39topless

You probably have lots of old grease and dirt that's "hiding" the two piece coupling at the end of the tranny. This holds the end of the torque tube in place on the tranny. Clean up this area and you will be able to see the four bolts that "clamp" the coupling together. Remove those and the two pieces should come out. Be prepared for a tough time with these bolts. They are a bugger. You won't be able to remove the torque tube until you pull the tranny forward.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:30 PM   #63
farmboy

Quote:
You probably have lots of old grease and dirt that's "hiding" the two piece coupling at the end of the tranny. This holds the end of the torque tube in place on the tranny. Clean up this area and you will be able to see the four bolts that "clamp" the coupling together. Remove those and the two pieces should come out. Be prepared for a tough time with these bolts. They are a bugger. You won't be able to remove the torque tube until you pull the tranny forward.
You talking bout these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 09-16-2015, 06:26 PM   #64
39topless

Quote:
You talking bout these?
Don't recognize that.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #65
Capt Kirk

Farmboy. I (for some reason) can't enlarge pictures posted here. A lot of automotive glass is two layers of glass with a thin film of some sort of clear plastic between them. Safety glass. My glass was pretty good but I've heard (in a very recent post) that the glass and plastic can become delaminated and then fogged. I didn't replace any glass when I got the 35 but I'm certain it has been replaced prior to me getting the car. At this point, don't sweat the details. Get the thing up and running and then you can pick away at the details.
Empty wallet
Old 09-16-2015, 08:45 PM   #66
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kirk View Post
Farmboy. I (for some reason) can't enlarge pictures posted here. A lot of automotive glass is two layers of glass with a thin film of some sort of clear plastic between them. Safety glass. My glass was pretty good but I've heard (in a very recent post) that the glass and plastic can become delaminated and then fogged. I didn't replace any glass when I got the 35 but I'm certain it has been replaced prior to me getting the car. At this point, don't sweat the details. Get the thing up and running and then you can pick away at the details.
Agreed, I could start chasing rabbits in a hurry with this, I get something on my mind and I wonder....ha. I believe that's what has happened here, the glass is all cloudy.

Took some more stuff off today, if I can the stubborn pin that holds the parking break free, and the clutch linkage, I think we are about ready to try to pull the moter. Got a local guy that rebuild starters and generators, he said would be no problem to fix these which is cool, if not I've found plenty online to choose from. There also a local machine shop that has a longstanding good reputation, and he is familiar with these engines, so we are going to mic everything and see where we are at on wear and such. getting a little work in now, then I will be to busy to work on it much till late fall and winter. Thanks for all the help!!
Old 09-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #67
39topless

Quote:
You talking bout these?
Could not find a decent photo or engineering drawing of this so just free handed one myself. This is the coupling that will hold the torque tube (actually just keeps it from banging around) to the tranny. Once this is removed, you can move the trans forward (or the rear end backwards) and free the torque tube spline from the u-joint of the trans.

Last edited by 39topless; 01-23-2016 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:31 PM   #68
farmboy

Wow, thanks for the picture, that's awesome you did that. Here's what I detached today from the back of trans. Looks different from your pic. I'll look again tommorow. What does this pic look like to you ? This what your calling the torque tube?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (29.8 KB, 55 views)
Old 09-16-2015, 10:38 PM   #69
farmboy

Also...lol..I am getting my stuff already to get it running as that is my first goal. I am confused about the coil, I cannot find one anywhere on this engine? I have looked online at where i'm getting some of my parts so far, and run onto this? I read where it sounds like the coil if mounted near the distributor in front of the radiator, this one must of fell off over the years or something? What about this kit where it can be relocated? What are the opinions on where I should go with this? thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IGNITION%20COIL%20ADAPTER%201932-1936%20FORD%20.jpg (53.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IGNITION%20COIL%206%20VOLT.jpg (32.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-16-2015, 10:47 PM   #70
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Also...lol..I am getting my stuff already to get it running as that is my first goal. I am confused about the coil, I cannot find one anywhere on this engine? I have looked online at where i'm getting some of my parts so far, and run onto this? I read where it sounds like the coil if mounted near the distributor in front of the radiator, this one must of fell off over the years or something? What about this kit where it can be relocated? What are the opinions on where I should go with this? thanks.
Your photo is of what some folks refer to as a Joe Smith coil conversion kit. (Although Joe didn't come up with it on his own, he copied an old one he found on some old engine I believe.)

It works pretty well. It is mounted on top of the distributor, which If the engine is anywhere close to a 36 engine is on the lower part of the very front of the engine, between the engine and the radiator. If any part of the old distributor is there, you can't miss it.

The flat plate in the kit mounts on top of the distributor body, the flat plate mounting where the old coil would have been. The coil itself can be pretty much fitted anywhere you would like to put it

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

Last edited by Lawson Cox; 09-16-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:04 PM   #71
36Bill

The stock coil does't look like that, it is that black bump on top of the distributor unless the kit you show was added. The first picture would be on top of the distributor instead.

Bill
Old 09-16-2015, 11:42 PM   #72
farmboy

Ok thanks. I see now this is the coil. Guess that condenser right behind it. The particular online store I'm looking at does not appear to,have this coil but sells the adapter I posted above to use a normal style coil. I tried to take this off the distrutor this morning with no luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (30.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 09-17-2015, 07:00 AM   #73
36Bill

Be careful, they do crack easily. If you want a new one just send it to Skip Haney and he will rebuild it better than new. You can send the whole distributor and he will set it up too.
http://www.fordcollector.com/coils.htm

Bill
Old 09-17-2015, 10:58 AM   #74
tubman

Late '36 Fords used a unique 2 screw flat top coil. There is currently a thread right here on the Barn about different helmet distributors. You should probably review it, because the distributor/coil on your engine may be quite a bit different than the picture you show above.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:20 AM   #75
39topless

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the picture, that's awesome you did that. Here's what I detached today from the back of trans. Looks different from your pic. I'll look again tommorow. What does this pic look like to you ? This what your calling the torque tube?
That is the torque tube.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #76
Don Rogers

Here's another picture of the univ joint housing and cap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Truck Univ Joint.jpg (46.6 KB, 39 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:00 PM   #77
39topless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post
Here's another picture of the univ joint housing and cap.
Thank you!!!!!
Old 09-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #78
Bob C

You should have a coupling shaft similar to this between the transmission and
rear axle torque tube.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coupling-2.jpg (20.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 09-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #79
41LjH

Remember enthusiasm can be your worst enemy.
Take your time.
Label everything, take plenty of pictures, and don't throw anything away..
Welcome and good luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:56 PM   #80
farmboy

Well got motivated this afternoon and look what I got accomplished , had some help from the guys at work! http://youtu.be/ms_fTJTwATU
Old 09-17-2015, 10:00 PM   #81
41panelmark

Great progress.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:02 AM   #82
farmboy

When we took the seat and the gas tank and we found a few late things behind the seat. When we took the seat and the gas tank and we found a few neat things behind the cab.

Anybody know what this is for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (36.0 KB, 149 views)
Old 09-18-2015, 08:06 AM   #83
farmboy

Also found this old grease gun and a spare set of Champion Spark Plug from back in the day and numerous pairs of leather gloves pretty cool

Also found the original handcrank back there to start it by hand

Sorry still won't let me post more than one picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.5 KB, 89 views)
Old 09-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #84
MGG

The large socket is for removing and/or adjusting the hub bearing nuts in the hub of the full floating rear axle.
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:07 PM   #85
funrunr

If those plugs are in one piece some of the guys here might like to have them just for points in concourse shows. Post a pic of them and or list them on the early V8 for sale forum. BTW, your probably posting using your phone and it will only load one pic at a time. If you post using your pc it will allow many pics. Keep up the progress,
Old 09-18-2015, 02:23 PM   #86
farmboy

Here's the plugs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (31.6 KB, 96 views)
Old 09-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #87
funrunr

I'm sure one of the purist can help identify as far as being correct for certain years or concourse correct. I'm sure someone will chime in as plenty of people have listed certain ones wanted or needed. Don't throw them away until you hear from one of the pros. Definitely has a unique look though
Old 09-18-2015, 08:19 PM   #88
farmboy

Any of you fellas know what this was ? It had a spring on it that broke when we pulled the moter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (48.7 KB, 125 views)
Old 09-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #89
tubman

Looks like the Brake Light switch to me. Th e spring would hold it open until the brakes were applied.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #90
Bob C

That's the stop light switch.

Bob
Old 09-18-2015, 08:53 PM   #91
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Looks like the Brake Light switch to me. Th e spring would hold it open until the brakes were applied.
Why yeah, that makes sense.. I do not see any lights on the back, they probably fell off as wood on the bed deteriorated. Did it just have one light in the back or two back then, I have heard both?
Old 09-18-2015, 09:04 PM   #92
farmboy

A little update so far, I had a lull in the work on the farm this week, so got a pretty good start on things. Removed the seat and gas tank, and got the cab blew out, and the spiders. That cab was full of brown recluses underneath the material on the doors and headliner that was left. After removing all of that, it was easy to detach the back of the tranny, driveshaft, and linkages that needed to be removed. Then got the engine pulled which was relatively easy. The ujoint on the back of the tranny seemed to be in great shape, it will freewheel for awhile after you spin it, and the bearing seemed tight as a drum. I also removed the starter and already had the generator removed of course, so I took them to a local shop that rebuilds them, I was nervous taking them in there as they are so old, he laughed and said no problem, he can fix anything but a broken heart...lol, so that made me feel good. There is also a local machine shop that is well known for engine rebuilds, I have used them before to redo a head on an H farmall. He said he was familiar with the flatheads and to bring it in, so whatever it needs it's getting overhauled. I've got a wiring harness and rebuilt helmet distributor on the way, as well as water pumps and some other assesories. I'm finding stuff daily that i'm adding to a list to order, the $ are racking up, but I knew they would, my dad and I are splitting the cost so that helps.

One thing I found interesting that some of you ford guys can probably finalize, is this tag found after doing some steam cleaning around the tranny for removal. this tag says "reconditioned cylinders assential" and at the bottom is stamped in the plate "6-40"....does this stand for june of 1940 you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.8 KB, 122 views)
Old 09-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #93
alan

taillight was only on left side and was mounted to the frame, look for two holes, one above the other about 16-18" from end of frame, some frames had right side hole. looks like a factory authorized rebuilder tag and yes 6'40 would indicate june 1940. some of these tags listed the bearings under cut for rods/mains, some had bore oversize also.
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #94
totto

The large socket smaller end removes the front hub caps.
totto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #95
farmboy

Update..

I found a guy locally that is really familiar with the flatheads, so I have got it to him to get his take on what we are going to do with it. Got more parts coming in, I should have everything I need to run the engine again when we get it overhauled, or whatever it needs. The key is stuck in the column drop ignition, been trying to get that out as the passengers door handle is locked, but the door will open on the inside. Today however with all the attempts the key broke off in the ignition, so any ideas on how to unlock it now are welcome..

Fixing to take off the bed, then will do some more cleaning, and probably get some tires on it. It is slowly but surely coming together! Sometime, not sure when, i'm going to start trying to free up all the tie rods and linkages that initiate the mechanical brakes, it's all froze up. Then will tackle the brakes themselves.

we are calling it "Project: Pop Palmer's Truck"..
Old 09-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #96
Vanspeed

On the bottom of the column, below the key cylinder you should see a round plug that will be flush with the column drop. Drill it and tap it using a 8-32 fine thread tap. Find a screw that is the same thread count and screw it in. Take a claw end of a hammer and slide it under the head of the screw. It should pop right out. Then the key and cylinder will be free to be removed. I just did this same thing last week and it works like a charm.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:00 AM   #97
farmboy

Update and question..

Thanks again for all the advice on here, it has really helped me get the ball rolling on some stuff I need, and need to do. I got a new set of tires ordered that look the Goodrich ones that are on them.... (does anybody know when Goodrich became BF Goodrich, because the old truck just has "Goodrich"...lol. Anyhow today we are getting some rain, so will be working in the shop again, so if I get a chance, i'm going to clean out what's left in the bed, and dismount it from the truck, leaving just the frame for cleaning. yesterday I was soaking all the fasteners I was underneath the truck, and decided to check the back differential for oil. I was full of oil, with no water. I was glad to see that!

Dad and I have two different color schemes we found we like for the truck, of course we are leaning to closest to what Pop had it in the 30's, but we will see..

My last question is a random one as usual as I just get things on my mind, but the hood hinges on the hood, are they the same as the half ton pickups? I'm assuming they are. They still are kinda functional on the hood, especially the ones on the side, i'd thought about keeping them and just replacing the more damaged on in the top center, it has detached from the hood in places.
Thanks again.....Bret.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #98
Bob C

Founded in 1870 as Goodrich, Tew & Co. The company name was changed to the "B.F. Goodrich Company" in 1880, to BFGoodrich in the 1980s, and to "Goodrich Corporation" in 2001.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #99
Don Rogers

The B. F. in BF Goodrich was actually Goodrich's First and middle initials..Benjamin Franklin Goodrich
Old 09-29-2015, 01:37 PM   #100
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post
The B. F. in BF Goodrich was actually Goodrich's First and middle initials..Benjamin Franklin Goodrich
That explains it...thanks..
Old 10-03-2015, 07:45 AM   #101
farmboy

It's been really busy around the farm lately with harvest, but I have one of my guys at work that has really taken intestest in the Pop Palmer truck project. We had a little time the other morning, so demantled a lot of the bed on the truck getting ready for removal. Check out what they lined the bed with so grain wouldn't leak out through the wood... Pretty cool!
Old 10-03-2015, 08:54 AM   #102
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

That's the way it was, porcelain signs where used every where from cars to houses and out buildings. To bad they are cut up, those are highly collectable. Hang whats left up in your barn. Nice find.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #103
Vanspeed

Wow Sinclair signs! Very cool, I would also hang those up. When I bought my 29 pickup it had a tin roof over it. After getting it off I found out it was a 1930's coca cola sign.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #104
farmboy

I haven't posted in a while from being busy in the field! But I have quite a few parts in and getting the engine professionally rebuilt. I also got the sweet looking tires to put on it when time comes! I should have a busy winter working on this ole beauty !

As I drive the cotton picker I was thinking yesterday about working on the brakes as I know that will probably be a big deal where do you think I should start? Ha ha

Thanks Bret
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.5 KB, 73 views)
Old 10-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #105
COE Dan

The '36 trucks have mechanical brakes as you likely know already. Here’s one link to diagrams and a parts list for 35-37 truck brakes (there are likely others):

http://restoreyourford.com/1935tbrake.shtml

The advantage to mechanical brakes is they never leak and mechanical adjustment is all that's required. This means your parts may still be serviceable (as opposed to a hydraulic system that likely would have been destroyed by corrosion by now).

Here’s a 10-step guide for your brake rebuilding effort:

1) Don’t dive right into disassembly.
2) Keeping everything fully assembled, clean as much crud off the parts as you can so you can see how everything connects.
3) Take pictures of everything fully assembled. Pay particular attention to where clevises connect, which side of the clevis pins the cotter pins are on (it may not matter in most cases but in some cases it may), which direction bell cranks are mounted, and where any bends or curves are and what their orientations are. I can't emphasize how helpful this will be when you go to reassemble. Shop manual diagrams often don’t cover everything you might need to know.
4) Now you can start disassembly - continue to take pictures. Sometimes it's helpful to know how you took it apart.
5) Label everything.
6) Clean everything. If you can lay out your parts on a floor in relative positions, your labels and parts will remain associated while you clean individual items.
7) Inspect all the parts for serviceability. Mechanical brakes are susceptible to worn shafts, inadvertent bends, excessive play in connections (clevis pins/holes, etc.) and such. If you can’t find specs on how much wear/play to accept - ask Ford Barn. Someone out there should be able give you good information.
8) Replace all unserviceable parts. I'm not certain on the availability of mechanical brake parts for the big trucks as I haven’t dabbled in the big ones. Conceptually, they aren’t much different than the cars
9) Reassemble. One caveat - the truck may have had the brakes modified or erroneously reassembled in the past. If so, your pictures won’t tell you that. If parts don’t look right or fit right (minus allowance given for adjustments), there may be a problem. I’d seek advice from Ford Barn for this too.
10) Adjust and drive.

If I've forgotten anything, someone please speak up. Once adjusted correctly, mechanical brakes should provide years of dependable service - just remember, the stopping power is adequate, not great, with mechanical brakes.

Can I ask where you got your tires?

Looking forward to seeing some more progress pictures,

Dan
COE Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:23 PM   #106
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by COE Dan View Post
The '36 trucks have mechanical brakes as you likely know already. Hereís one link to diagrams and a parts list for 35-37 truck brakes (there are likely others):

The advantage to mechanical brakes is they never leak and mechanical adjustment is all that's required. This means your parts may still be serviceable (as opposed to a hydraulic system that likely would have been destroyed by corrosion by now).

Hereís a 10-step guide for your brake rebuilding effort:

1) Donít dive right into disassembly.
2) Keeping everything fully assembled, clean as much crud off the parts as you can so you can see how everything connects.
3) Take pictures of everything fully assembled. Pay particular attention to where clevises connect, which side of the clevis pins the cotter pins are on (it may not matter in most cases but in some cases it may), which direction bell cranks are mounted, and where any bends or curves are and what their orientations are. I can't emphasize how helpful this will be when you go to reassemble. Shop manual diagrams often donít cover everything you might need to know.
4) Now you can start disassembly - continue to take pictures. Sometimes it's helpful to know how you took it apart.
5) Label everything.
6) Clean everything. If you can lay out your parts on a floor in relative positions, your labels and parts will remain associated while you clean individual items.
7) Inspect all the parts for serviceability. Mechanical brakes are susceptible to worn shafts, inadvertent bends, excessive play in connections (clevis pins/holes, etc.) and such. If you canít find specs on how much wear/play to accept - ask Ford Barn. Someone out there should be able give you good information.
8) Replace all unserviceable parts. I'm not certain on the availability of mechanical brake parts for the big trucks as I havenít dabbled in the big ones. Conceptually, they arenít much different than the cars
9) Reassemble. One caveat - the truck may have had the brakes modified or erroneously reassembled in the past. If so, your pictures wonít tell you that. If parts donít look right or fit right (minus allowance given for adjustments), there may be a problem. Iíd seek advice from Ford Barn for this too.
10) Adjust and drive.

If I've forgotten anything, someone please speak up. Once adjusted correctly, mechanical brakes should provide years of dependable service - just remember, the stopping power is adequate, not great, with mechanical brakes.

Dan
Dan, wow thanks so much! I hope in a few weeks I can get back on the project! I found the tires at summit racing website, nobody locally here could get them
Old 10-20-2015, 07:41 AM   #107
Don Rogers

Heres a blowup of the brake system from your truck taken from a 1936 Ford chassis list. I hope the resolution is OK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brakes.jpg (110.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 10-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #108
Bob C

What size tires did you get?

Bob
Old 10-20-2015, 03:35 PM   #109
4dy

Excellent advice, especially about often overlooked things like which direction things went (pins, arms, washers, etc). Repair manual pictures often lack the detail to show these subtle differences that could make a big difference when assembling. I have some plastic boxes with lids and individual partitions that I number. I write down each nut, bolt etc for each one so the same ones go back where they came assembled back in reverse order. That should eliminate trying to figure out where left over parts belong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COE Dan View Post
The '36 trucks have mechanical brakes as you likely know already. Hereís one link to diagrams and a parts list for 35-37 truck brakes (there are likely others):

Hereís a 10-step guide for your brake rebuilding effort:

1) Donít dive right into disassembly.
3) Take pictures of everything fully assembled. Pay particular attention to where clevises connect, which side of the clevis pins the cotter pins are on (it may not matter in most cases but in some cases it may), which direction bell cranks are mounted, and where any bends or curves are and what their orientations are. I can't emphasize how helpful this will be when you go to reassemble. Shop manual diagrams often donít cover everything you might need to know.
5) Label everything.
7) Inspect all the parts for serviceability. Mechanical brakes are susceptible to worn shafts, inadvertent bends, excessive play in connections (clevis pins/holes, etc.) and such. If you canít find specs on how much wear/play to accept - ask Ford Barn. Someone out there should be able give you good information.
8) Replace all unserviceable parts. I'm not certain on the availability of mechanical brake parts for the big trucks as I havenít dabbled in the big ones. Conceptually, they arenít much different than the cars
9) Reassemble. One caveat - the truck may have had the brakes modified or erroneously reassembled in the past. If so, your pictures wonít tell you that. If parts donít look right or fit right (minus allowance given for adjustments), there may be a problem. Iíd seek advice from Ford Barn for this too.
10) Adjust and drive.

Dan
4dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:37 PM   #110
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
What size tires did you get?

Bob
6.50 20s
Old 10-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #111
farmboy

Wow you guys are awesome thanks so much for the info! You'll be hearing more from me when I have time to tackle this!
Old 10-27-2015, 09:59 PM   #112
farmboy

Update:

Got parts coming in for the ole flathead! Most everything will be replaced except for the crank!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (54.4 KB, 91 views)
Old 11-04-2015, 01:28 PM   #113
farmboy

Update:

The engine is almost rebuilt and should have that back next week! I have taken the bed off in the front fenders as the front fenders need a little bodywork the rest is really straight. I have sent the radiator off to a fellow in Fort Smith Arkansas they can either repair that one or build an exact replica it was in pretty bad shape. I have been working on the brakes as you have probably seen some of my post they seem to be working properly, and the brake shoes to me look to be good enough for now. I still have to free up the mechanism that runs all the tire rods behind the cab better thAn it is now and then get springs for that and I think the brakes will be set! I was in awe of how well they still work! I had a seal on the back axle that was leaking at the brakes were ho I had a seal on the back axle that was leaking at the brakes were oily on one side. I found a seal at job lot that should be here today once I get that fixed in the wheels put back on I'm going to roll out side and steam clean real good and get ready to San Blast the frame, I have gotten more done on this truck before winter then I expected which is a good thing !

The engine is pretty much going to be fully rebuilt except the crank was just turn down some more it's supposed to have newer style valves that are easier to adjust also the people that are doing it are very professional and said it will be better than new The engine is pretty much going to be fully rebuilt except the crank was just turn down some more it's supposed to have newer style valves that are easier to adjust also the people that are doing it are very professional and said it will be better than new, we will see. I am fixing to tackle the gas tank and see what I have to work with there, I believe a good cleaning out and maybe a sealant on the inside and will be good to go hopefully !

That's just an update for now I really appreciate all the help I have gotten on here you guys are awesome!
Bret
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (100.0 KB, 128 views)
Old 11-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #114
farmboy

Here's a little video update on where I'm at with the project. We got our crop harvested yesterday so about to have more time to work on it!

http://youtu.be/ycQoXRRpJGI
Old 11-16-2015, 07:58 PM   #115
41panelmark

Exciting to see the progress, looking good.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:02 AM   #116
farmboy

Cleaning her up getting ready to sandblast!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.7 KB, 78 views)
Old 11-19-2015, 03:54 PM   #117
Steel 35

Looks like you have all the patterns for the Glass you would need; I got a old class mate to do mine and got them very cheap with a light tint, but as well in your case POP didn't have them, but I wanted them. Keep having a ball
Steel 35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:14 PM   #118
farmboy

Here's another little video on where I'm at. Keeping all of these to put together a video of the entire process when done! Fixing spend a ton of time blasting and sanding. Taking my time, I'll have some extra time to work on it next few months.

http://youtu.be/EK1KJT_z3ac
Old 11-21-2015, 11:23 PM   #119
Don Rogers

Nice progress.....Make sure you keep the pinstripe detail on the wheels. That was indicative of a 36 Demo Truck.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:45 AM   #120
Flowmeister

Nice!

Really enjoying this thread.
Flowmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:23 PM   #121
farmboy

Been sanding and blasting some when I get the chance. I went to a different abrasive as it's working better on the frame, but I had to use a bigger tip, so my compressor just isn't big enough to run it long. I got a neighboring farmer that has one of those industrial size portable compressors i'm going to borrow after the the weather breaks, it's suppose to rain for 3 days straight here, and I've got some end of year farm stuff to tend to next week, but once I get this compressor, I think I can finish it in a day if I don't have to stop much.

I'm just thinking ahead, but it i'm going to paint the frame and cab before I finish the fenders and grill, i'm still not certain i'll use the grill yet, depends on if I find another, if I don't, then I can make it work with some TLC... I've been talking to my Dad about colors, were either going back blue like was brushed on there by Pop back in the day, or a Maroon and black that just looks awesome IMO. Hows a good way to match the original paint colors? I went to my local restoration shop, and they didn't have codes for that year, but said they could proably find something or match it to a picture.. I'm a ways from that, but I plan on having it ready to primer before to long, at least the cab and frame.

Also, did the cab and dash usually have the same color as the exterior?
Thanks Bret..
Old 12-12-2015, 11:04 PM   #122
farmboy

Starting to make some progress on the fenders! These things are still very solid for the most part!

Also been sandblasting on the rest of the truck, I'm hoping to have that finished soon, sand some other spots and get some epoxy primer on it soon!

Still up in the air about the grill, mine is salvageable, but if I found a good one at the right price i'd look hard at it. I have found one online that is actually a chrome grille. i'd want to paint over it, guess that would work, but not in a hurry for that yet, probably be one of the last things I put back on the truck.

The engine is almost done, thanks to the help I got on here once again, I was able to find some .030 over flanged bearings for the old Flathead. It's been slower lately, but hope to get back in the project, had a lot of end of year stuff here at the farm.

Thanks for all the help, Bret
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.3 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by farmboy; 12-12-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #123
farmboy

Put some DP 90 on the back frame this afternoon, gonna do the rest of the frame tommoriw hopefully. Still got some work to do on the cab before I do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (86.7 KB, 61 views)
Old 12-30-2015, 12:11 PM   #124
farmboy

Spraying some DP90 on the bare metel, then got to do some puddy. The DP layed down great, but had to keep the fire stoked up in the shop! This old Jewel is starting to shape up!

The fella at the restoration shop of course is in the business to sell paint, but he mentioned after I spray the filler primer over the DP, to put another coat of DP to sandwich it in? Anybody ever do this, i'm planning on using a high quality paint to hopefully last me my lifetime, it will never sell as long as im breathing!

I need to get the gauges out of the dash before I finish prep inside the cab.. Any tricks to getting them out, haven't got to that point yet..

thanks!
Old 12-30-2015, 12:20 PM   #125
flatheadv8

I agree! It would be neat to see it restored to the way your family had it on the farm with the name proudly displayed on the doors again! So happy that you are able to keep it in the family and bring it back to life. How cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kirk View Post
Bret, great story...I'm so happy for you. You've got a great project there and the family history is amazing. At some point, you're going to have a question and I'll answer that before you have even thought of that question. My dad owned my car back in the early 40's (it's a 35) and it's been in the family ever since. I got faced with the decision to build it back to the way it rolled off of the assembly line or restore it back to the way my dad had it. I posed that question on the Barn and after everybody read the story of my car (similar to your story) the resounding response was to restore it the way my dad had it. With that in mind, honor that truck as a family heirloom and not a product of an assembly line or what the current value is. The value lies in the history! You've come to the right place to get answers as you begin the restoration. If you add up all the old Ford V8 experience in years on this site, I'm sure it adds up to 1,000,000 with a few people, that I won't name here, making up the bulk of that!
flatheadv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:01 PM   #126
36Bill

Take pictures of the back of the dash with a digital camera and flash, it will give you an idea of whats in there. I remember a 5/16 wrench I think and not to bad to get them out.

Bill
Old 12-30-2015, 06:18 PM   #127
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36Bill View Post
Take pictures of the back of the dash with a digital camera and flash, it will give you an idea of whats in there. I remember a 5/16 wrench I think and not to bad to get them out.

Bill
They were a breeze to get out. Screws wasn't even rusted. Also heated the vent hinge under there and got it freed up!

Last edited by farmboy; 12-30-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:51 PM   #128
41panelmark

Quote:
Spraying some DP90 on the bare metel, then got to do some puddy. The DP layed down great, but had to keep the fire stoked up in the shop! This old Jewel is starting to shape up!

The fella at the restoration shop of course is in the business to sell paint, but he mentioned after I spray the filler primer over the DP, to put another coat of DP to sandwich it in? Anybody ever do this, i'm planning on using a high quality paint to hopefully last me my lifetime, it will never sell as long as im breathing!

I need to get the gauges out of the dash before I finish prep inside the cab.. Any tricks to getting them out, haven't got to that point yet..

thanks!
Looking great!
Old 01-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #129
farmboy

Finally got the cab like I wanted it, so sprayed the dp90 on all of the cab inside and out on the bare metal today! Going to do a little bondo work in a few pitted spots and dents, then go over that with some K 36 primer! After that will be the decision on what color to go back with we are leaning toward blue as that is the color Pop had it 80 years ago. My dad and I are still talking about it because there is a maroon version of this truck that is really sweet but restoring it like it was on the farm originally would be really cool! Anyhow that is my latest update Stay tuned !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 01-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #130
farmboy

Here's a video I took the other day, since this I've been block sanding and getting ready for the paint!

There taking there time finishing the engine, but there gonna try to get it done by next week !
Other than the engine and body work the fenders needed, i'm doing the rest myself. They tell me when done the flathead will be better than they were new?
http://youtu.be/-CNgfGekjRA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.3 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by farmboy; 01-21-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:11 AM   #131
farmboy

When I painted Pop's old truck last Saturday I had some fun with a Gopro and my video editor I use for my side gig on a Local outdoor show. I apologize for my messy shop, I just tell myself I work In it not live in it...ha Here's my little video, turned out pretty good, I was really impressed with how this turned out. I think the quality of the paint is making me look better than I am with a paint gun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQLFJBaDyvY
Old 02-04-2016, 12:24 AM   #132
outlaw

Smile Re: Saving a family treasure...(1936 1and1/2 ton)

Nice video. I like the color. It looks good especially for being shot in a open shop & not a paint booth. Bill
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #133
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

Nice job man.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #134
Newc

Great trk and history; Your trk has a good Floater rear diff and hyd brakes for it came out in 39. Any way truck brakes are excellent for empty rigs, no real load. We'll all enjoy your progress. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:41 PM   #135
41panelmark

Quote:
When I painted Pop's old truck last Saturday I had some fun with a Gopro and my video editor I use for my side gig on a Local outdoor show. I apologize for my messy shop, I just tell myself I work In it not live in it...ha Here's my little video, turned out pretty good, I was really impressed with how this turned out. I think the quality of the paint is making me look better than I am with a paint gun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQLFJBaDyvY
Great job!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:48 AM   #136
willowbilly3

I've got the front half of a 35 truck frame, with axle, transmission, pedals. I'd love to give it to someone needing parts.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #137
farmboy

The flathead is finally completed!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.3 KB, 75 views)
Old 02-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #138
VeryTangled

Hi Everybody, Wow that looks like it should! I'm enjoying the story, thanks for taking us along for the journey.

Paint looked pretty nice! What color are you gonna use for the engine?

Sorry I'm such a pill, but why not support the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

My avatar courtesy of 41ford1. Pic is him and Ol' Ron pondering life's questions.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:23 PM   #139
JSeery

Looking good!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:03 PM   #140
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Hi Everybody, Wow that looks like it should! I'm enjoying the story, thanks for taking us along for the journey.

Paint looked pretty nice! What color are you gonna use for the engine?
Thanks! The paint turned out great on the cab! I've ordered a quart of the green heat resistant paint they were painted in 36
Old 02-08-2016, 08:29 AM   #141
Tom Smith

Any chance you have a battery box on that frame you have? I'm working on a 36' also. Any help in finding one would be appreciated.
Tom - mechanictomsmith@aol.com
Tom Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #142
farmboy

Getting closer folks!! If all goes as planned I hope have this ole jewel running on a video next week'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.6 KB, 152 views)
Old 03-01-2016, 10:22 PM   #143
41panelmark

Great progress!
Old 03-03-2016, 10:02 PM   #144
farmboy

Getting close for the start up!! Waiting on an inner distributor cap to come in then be ready!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (61.1 KB, 77 views)
Old 03-06-2016, 09:51 PM   #145
Vanspeed

Are your waterpumps new? Looking forward to your first start up. My engine in my 35 is going to be a lot like yours. I noticed the block off plates. Is your block a 37?
Old 03-07-2016, 12:11 AM   #146
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanspeed View Post
Are your waterpumps new? Looking forward to your first start up. My engine in my 35 is going to be a lot like yours. I noticed the block off plates. Is your block a 37?
I did get new waterpumps.. Looking forward to starting it up as well! I"m assuming it's a 36 block, but it has 32 heads on it I found out last week, so who knows anymore....ha ha..
Old 03-07-2016, 07:17 PM   #147
Bored&Stroked

It is definitely a 37 block (unless by some chance they put these blocks in some 36 trucks). It has the water pump block-off plates on it . . . as it was designed for the 37-48 style of water pump.

Great job - can't wait to hear it run and see you take er' down the road.
D
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:49 PM   #148
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
It is definitely a 37 block (unless by some chance they put these blocks in some 36 trucks). It has the water pump block-off plates on it . . . as it was designed for the 37-48 style of water pump.

Great job - can't wait to hear it run and see you take er' down the road.
D
Interesting? You talking about the removable plates/covers directly under the pumps? I put 36 pumps on it..
Old 03-07-2016, 10:05 PM   #149
Vanspeed

Yes those plates are where the 37 waterpumps went. 32-36 had the pumps in the head. 37's were kinda their own motor, 21 stud but with insert bearings and pumps on the front of the block. Some late 36's also had the inserts. My 35 also had a 37 in it with the block off plates and 35 heads.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:48 PM   #150
farmboy

Got the fenders worked on at a restoration shop in town! They wanted to make sure everything fitted after doing some fabricating on them! There gonna look good!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.2 KB, 82 views)
Old 03-31-2016, 08:58 PM   #151
farmboy

I think I posted these earlier, but I wanna keep this thread as a documentary of start to finish of my project! Heres a couple videos of when I first got it running, and the second is a video of my first drive down the road by the farm, that was a special drive for me that morning!! I wanna say thanks to all you guys for all the support, help and advice. I started out a rookie as these early fords, but I've learned so much as I've went on this project!! Bret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOlGejG1epc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbC4vpKW4d4
Old 03-31-2016, 09:09 PM   #152
farmboy

As I've documented the journey on my facebook as well, it caught the attention of the lady at the local paper, she came to the farm one day, and talked to dad and I about the history of the old truck and actually put the story of the truck on a regional publication here at home called Delta Crossroads. Heres a link to the story if you'd like to read it, it talks about the family connection and some neat history my Dad shed on the subject. Just click on it and it should come up in form you can read the whole magazine. Go to page 76 or 77, that were the story starts. Pretty cool that they did that, she did a good job I thought with the story and using my facebook pictures.

Here's the link. http://www.deltacrossroads.com/#!untitled/masterpage_1
Old 03-31-2016, 09:41 PM   #153
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, farmboy/Bret, Great story, nice magazine. That stuff is not easy. They did a good job with your family story.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:27 AM   #154
outlaw

Great story. Thank you for sharing. I would hope that you post more photos as you go along. Bill
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #155
Jeff/Illinois

Yes great story. REALLY appreciate the updates neat to follow. A lot of guys start out and you never hear from them again your updated stories and pictures and all are the best!!!

(from a guy with a '35-'36 Ford pickup/truck bias)
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:44 PM   #156
farmboy

Couple more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.8 KB, 61 views)
Old 04-01-2016, 06:45 PM   #157
farmboy

Pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.7 KB, 55 views)
Old 04-01-2016, 07:28 PM   #158
flat-v8

Cool Video, thanks for posting!
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:45 PM   #159
alanwoodieman

gotta love these old trucks!!
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #160
Bored&Stroked

I really enjoyed the article - well done and a great story to capture and tell. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-05-2016, 08:32 PM   #161
farmboy

I haven't been in in awhile, farming season has slowed down the progress. However it came a big rain last week so got to work on the bed, and got it mounted. It had 2 boards put together originally that measured a tad over 2.5 inches wide and a tad over 7 inches tall. I had enough threads left on the clamps to mount a 2/8. I don't plan to haul any big loads so think this will work. Next will be to put boards on the bed and on the sides and still have to paint the wheels I've already got the duals blasted and ready for primer! The boys at the body shop about half my fenders ready and I have the hood completed so basically after that will be interior work, which I already have the headliner and side panels purchased. And of course get the glass installed so it's coming together should have it ready for the parade this Labor Day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (100.5 KB, 169 views)
Old 05-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #162
cmbrucew

That is going to be one fine looking truck.
You could hire it out for hayrides.
Bruce
Old 05-09-2016, 07:48 PM   #163
Vanspeed

Let me guess, the paper towel role is there to remind you not to hit your head on the mirror arm right? Done that so many times!
Old 05-13-2016, 09:30 PM   #164
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanspeed View Post
Let me guess, the paper towel role is there to remind you not to hit your head on the mirror arm right? Done that so many times!
Ha ha yeah!
Old 05-13-2016, 09:33 PM   #165
farmboy

Finally got the grille done! Loving this Washington Blue!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 05-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #166
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, Very nicely done! Is that the one on it when it was under the hedge? If yes, it turned out incredibly well!

Old 05-21-2016, 12:17 AM   #167
farmboy

Got the wheels painted finally, and the duals back on. Now it's looking like a big truck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 05-21-2016, 12:18 AM   #168
farmboy

Another pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.4 KB, 58 views)
Old 08-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #169
farmboy

It's been awhile since I've been on here, but farming season got busy and I've not done much work on Pop's truck for a couple months. It's slowed down enough, and with my deadline of having this truck ready for the labor day parade, I better get on it. Got some wood metal strips from Horkys to put the wood on the bed. Looks good, i'm getting a couple of the stakes on the bed straightened, after that i'll get the wood on the sides next. Once I get the fenders back from local body man, I can paint those and get them on the truck, I already have the grill and hood done. Should be ready for the local labor day parade, but I got to stay on it! Hope to be updating more often, stay tuned!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 08-03-2016, 06:44 AM   #170
Bored&Stroked

Glad you're getting back to it - as Labor Day will be here MUCh faster than you think! Keep posting as you go. On the fenders, I find it much easier to spray them off the car/truck - just be careful putting them back on!
Old 08-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #171
Woodie1

Your truck is coming along quite nicely. Hang in there. You're almost done.
Woodie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:15 PM   #172
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone. Latest update video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6O4...ature=youtu.be

And FordBarn thread here:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204439

One of the best stories of the past year.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:24 PM   #173
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Hi Everyone. Latest update video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6O4...ature=youtu.be

And FordBarn thread here:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204439

One of the best stories of the past year.
Thanks Very Tangled, i'll share the pics here as well!