Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #81
40cpe

Default Re: R10 Overdrive Issue

just curious, did you try to engage the pawl manually?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #82
Cecil/WV

The last time i had mine apart, after reassembly, I energized the solenoid on the bench and made sure the OD worked okay. Just turn the input shaft and check the speed of the output shaft.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-28-2014, 06:51 AM   #83
fredv

I didn't try to engage the pawl manually, as it seems to engage when I tested the solenoid.
I will definitely test the transmission on the bench with the solenoid energized to be sure that the OD is working properly, I hate doing 2 times the same job!
Could you detail how you check that? just turn the input shaft by hand I guess?
fredv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:09 AM   #84
fredv

One more thing, I've tried to drive the car with the OD control knob pushed in, but with the electric control system disconnected. The result is that the car freewheels at all speeds with no engine brake at all. This is normal I guess?
Old 10-31-2014, 10:39 AM   #85
40cpe

yes, normal.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:05 PM   #86
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredv View Post
I didn't try to engage the pawl manually, as it seems to engage when I tested the solenoid.
I will definitely test the transmission on the bench with the solenoid energized to be sure that the OD is working properly, I hate doing 2 times the same job!
Could you detail how you check that? just turn the input shaft by hand I guess?
Spin by hand and you can tell the difference by watching the shaft turn
Old 10-31-2014, 12:06 PM   #87
Cecil/WV

Also, it wont free wheel if engaged.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #88
fredv

Ok, thanks for your replies, will keep you posted...
Old 11-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #89
fredv

I removed the transmission from the car today, opened the OD, and found that the blocker ring has rotated and the pawl withdrawn from its normal location during assembly with the solenoid removed so that its two lugs were not located with respect to the pawl.

This seems to be the issue... Luckily, there is no visible damage caused by this mistake. I will carefully install the blocker ring, pawl, control plate and solenoid together to avoid these parts to rotate again during assembly.
I would like to thank all of you for your support and will keep you informed when the transmission will be ready
Old 11-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #90
40cpe

I knew you would find it. You are going to be Sooo glad you stuck with it the first time it drops into overdrive and quietens the engine.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #91
Ol' Ron

I;ve been following this thread, because I had a similar problem with a rebuild unit in a 50 Merc. on a long trip the OD Broke (Planetary). I replaced the Trans OD assembly with a T-85 BG from a 55?? Merc. Not sure of the year. I've been told this trans was user into the mid 60's with a dual bolt pattern bolt mounting for early and ;ate bell housings. I say this only to let people know a much stronger Trans with OD is available for the 8BA
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #92
scooder

Glad you found it, and good perseverance.
I didn't think the pawl could move out (down) far enough to let the blocker ring turn as far as yours has. Surprised me.
Well done.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:56 AM   #93
fredv

Martin, this is exactly what I think, I don't know how the pawl could have moved down enough to allow the blocker ring to turn, but it does, as there is a slight spot on the exterior of the ring showing that the pawl has touched the ring in that position
The transmission has been assembled, any ideas how to test it to be sure that everything is in order before put it back on the car?

Last edited by fredv; 11-05-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #94
fredv

After assembly of the internal parts of the OD, and before put back the housing, I checked the engagement of the OD.
Transmission in 3rd and turning the input shaft by hand, with the pawl engaged, the control plate and blocker ring doesn't turn and sun gear stand still.
When I turn the input shaft of the trans, output shaft turns freely in counterclockwise direction (viewed from rear), but locks the transmission when turned clockwise, when the output shaft is fully pushed in the planet carrier.
When the output shaft is not fully pushed in the planet carrier (the planer carrier pinions are in line with the edge of the ring gear), it turns freely in both directions
Is it normal or I miss something again?

Last edited by fredv; 11-05-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #95
Cecil/WV

I put on an earlier post how to check it on the bench by using the electrical components with a battery hooked to the solenoid, after complete assembly.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #96
fredv

I remember your post, and I checked the pawl engagement with the solenoid energized with a battery and it works, the pawl engage the blocker ring, but this time, the problem seems to be related to the rollers and ring gear.
I assembled the rollers using a rubber band, and I thought that the rubber band might be too thick and block the output shaft, so I use heavy grease to hold the rollers during assembly.
After that, this is the same, with the trans in 3rd, the pawl engaged, the output shaft turns counterclockwise, but locks the whole transmission when turned clockwise.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #97
40cpe

Fred, The transmission is supposed to lock up like that. Some of the early cars had a hill holder switch under the clutch. When you came to a stop on a hill you would put the trans in low and push the clutch down all the way to engage the hill holder. The hill holder would engage the OD and keep the car from rolling back on a hill, When the clutch was released, the OD dropped out and the car would pull off. If you release the pawl, the output shaft will turn both ways.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #98
fredv

Thanks 40cpe, but I am not sure if I described correctly the situation, it's not really easy to explain such technical potential issues, and more to explain it in English for me....
I was meaning that with the trans in 3rd (direct drive) or in 2nd, the pawl engaged and the rail in OD position, it is not possible to turn the input shaft of the transmission clockwise (viewed from the rear of the trans). The input shaft and output shaft are turning counterclockwise, but when turning clockwise, everything is locked.
When the pawl is released from the control plate and blocker ring, everything turns in both directions.
Sorry to ask for more explanation, but I don't understand how it can work when the car is in motion. Thanks all for your help again.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #99
40cpe

When the car is in forward motion and in OD, the shaft turns counterclockwise, except in reverse when the OD is locked out. Google "Studebaker hill holder". You might have to sort through a few hits, but the lock up in OD is how the hill holder operated.

You are doing a good job with your English
Old 11-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #100
fredv

Thanks for your support 40cpe, I try to explain the best I can, but sometimes it's no so easy to find words. I will try to figure it out tomorrow, it's time to sleep for me now...