Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #121
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: A 'Barner Run to Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tbird View Post
Wow, some folks wearing shorts there! I always heard that you get burned where you definitely don't want to when you do that on the salt.

Heard a report from a friend that the salt was so dry this year that it was just like fine powder resulting in poor traction and spins. Did you guys see any of that?
Since we're newbies we really can't compare. But there were some crashes and we witnessed a spin out at the start of a run on course 3. One car disintegrated on either course 1 or 2 and the driver walked away. Do not know about the others but there were others ....

As for wearing shorts, sunblock is the key. If you wear it and keep replenishing throughout the day, no problems. I know my face and hands are really dark now (I've worn UV resistant clothing throughout - long pants and long sleeve shirts) and I may have to change nationalities ...
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #122
41ford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tbird View Post
Wow, some folks wearing shorts there! I always heard that you get burned where you definitely don't want to when you do that on the salt.

Heard a report from a friend that the salt was so dry this year that it was just like fine powder resulting in poor traction and spins. Did you guys see any of that?
The shorts vs long ratio was about 90 to 10. Folks really didn't care as long as they felt comfortable.

The salt was very fine. In the morning it was damp and would stick to everything. By the afternoon the surface would be dry and powdery. There was a lot fish tailing coming off the start line. One streamlined spun 3x after being push started. One official said that in places it was similar to Michigan slush.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #123
awelker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford1 View Post
We hunted for that one and never found it. It is in the program book. It posted 253.994mph in '09. According to the SCTA daily results it only ran once on 8/11. That run max speed was 97.453mph. The nos posted are: 1/4mile - 96.433, 1mile - 92.904 and 2mile - 97.453. It looks like something went bad and could not be fixed.
The Burbank Special is a new car for this year. In your Bonneville program the speed that is as 253.994 from 2009 is the record speed for that class. The record speed for each class should be at the top of each class section in the program. How they show it does make it look like the first car listed in the class is associated with that speed but it is the current record.

Just a FYI.

Andy

www.vonwelker.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vonwelker/albums
Home of the Blonde Bitch Bellytank
awelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #124
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford1 View Post
We hunted for that one and never found it. It is in the program book. It posted 253.994mph in '09. According to the SCTA daily results it only ran once on 8/11. That run max speed was 97.453mph. The nos posted are: 1/4mile - 96.433, 1mile - 92.904 and 2mile - 97.453. It looks like something went bad and could not be fixed.
Thanks guys,
The Burbank special was a cover car in 1952 and rebuilt this year by a crew in Indianapolis. It ran 97 mph with a small flathead in it this year. In 1952 it ran 200 plus with a overhead dual cam flathead ( engine is in speedy Bills museum). They were proud of the 97 for a first time out reconstructed vehicle . Its a beauty!!!
Theres more info by googling Hill Davis , and facebook under the hill davis name as well. Quite a story....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #125
41ford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by awelker View Post
The Burbank Special is a new car for this year. In your Bonneville program the speed that is as 253.994 from 2009 is the record speed for that class. The record speed for each class should be at the top of each class section in the program. How they show it does make it look like the first car listed in the class is associated with that speed but it is the current record.

Just a FYI.

Andy
I see said the blind man! Thank you for the clarification. Now it makes more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Thanks guys,
The Burbank special was a cover car in 1952 and rebuilt this year by a crew in Indianapolis. It ran 97 mph with a small flathead in it this year. In 1952 it ran 200 plus with a overhead dual cam flathead ( engine is in speedy Bills museum). They were proud of the 97 for a first time out reconstructed vehicle . Its a beauty!!!
Theres more info by googling Hill Davis , and facebook under the hill davis name as well. Quite a story....
Bubba, Thanks for the info. I will check that out.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #126
36tbird

Andy, did you go this year? Your 'tank is such a looker, it seems like it always gets pics posted but I have not come across any.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #127
awelker

No, we didn't go this year. It was tough following along on threads like this and knowing we were missing it.

We will be back, upgrades are being planned. Need to go faster next time, and learned a lot last year. Very addictive!

www.vonwelker.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vonwelker/albums
Home of the Blonde Bitch Bellytank
awelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #128
41ford1

Week three of our run put us at the HAMB Drags in Joplin, MO Friday night. The car show at the hotel was very well attended. Drag cars, Rods and customs were plentiful. There was a good number of bangers and flatheads.
We used up Saturday at the Mo-Kan drag strip. They run that operation with a nice fast pace. Contstant racing action from first call to the eliminations. TomT made one run in the roadster. He ran an ET of 20.85 sec at at trap speed of 65.03mph.
We made a visit to the Starbird Museum. The drive there was through rural Kansas. The museum is basically in farm country. It takes about an hour to get there from Joplin. It is well worth the drive.

Check the pricing on the board, circa '55. "The good old days"

We start our RT66 touring tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #129
Elmo Rodge

Tom , it was an absolute pleasure meeting you guys. I hope you make it out here again. Wayno
Old 08-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #130
41ford1

Wayne,
I think the pleasure is ours. You are out there doing it.
I hope the rear axel problem is minor. I don't want it to keep you down long. Go break a record!!

Chuck