Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #1
JMFL36

Default 6V to 12V to 6V

My '54 Mercury was partially converted from 6V to 12V by a previous owner. Call me crazy, but I want to put it back to stock 6V. Is anyone out there converting from 6V to 12V and would be interested in trading my 12V generator, regulator and starter solenoid for your 6V ones? I also have the coil ballast resistor and a few gauge voltage reducers you can have.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:20 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 6V to 12V to 6V

I've got some of both, but will need to check what's what. I am positive I have a 6-volt starter, but I think the generator I have is 12-v and so is ignition coil. I think my extra starter solenoid is 6-volts. The solenoid was only used for a short time and should be a good one. I would recommend if you got my 6-volt starter, that you get it rebuilt or trade-in for new one.
I wouldn't want to trade anything, just sell outright for a little bit of nothin. The shipping charge is what's gonna kill ya.
Will get back to ya with verification of everything.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:24 AM   #3
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 6V to 12V to 6V

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFL36 View Post

My '54 Mercury was partially converted from 6V to 12V by a previous owner. Call me crazy, but I want to put it back to stock 6V.
Crazy? No ...

You want the car as original. Nothing wrong with that.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:38 PM   #4
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Crazy? No ...

You want the car as original. Nothing wrong with that.

X2 on that! I grew up on a farm in Minnesota in the '50's when Dad's cars and tractors were 6 volt. If a snow storm was coming he would park the '40 at the end of our 1/4 mile driveway so it wouldn't get snowed in. It always started on those -30 mornings. Of course you had to keep your stuff maintained and have a good battery. And, you had to know how to properly use a manual choke! Plus, know how many times to pump the gas, and then how far down to hold the pedal. Every engine was different but you soon learned the drill. If you over choked or pumped too many times, you flooded it and it was all over. Open the hood for some warmth if it was parked in the sun and go do something else for a couple hours while gas dried off the plugs and the battery recovered a little. Hopefully it would start.
One -30 day when I was a teenager the '47 GMC wouldn't start. Dad kept trying 'til it was flooded so he said let's leave it alone and headed for the house. But I had a brainstorm: I figured a hotter spark would light it off but the starter was probably drawing too much. So I thought if I could let off the starter (it had a floor-mounted kick pedal) just before the points opened, the engine would coast just enough to open the points and fire a plug. Guess what! After several tries, it worked!! Never saw Dad so surprised.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:10 PM   #5
Daves55Sedan

See private message in your inbox!
In addition, don't buy a 6-volt ignition coil from Mac's. They are junk. Probably made in china. Whatever they got inside they are using for oil evaporates or something, because I used one last year and it lasted 120 miles and was dead. I took it off and shook it. It is less than half full of oil, but none leaked out.
Best bet is to see if you can find somebody that makes cast epoxy coils in 6-volt, they are spectacular. Make sure it conforms to '54 Merc ohm specifications in your shop manual.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote