Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
ziegld1

Default Superchargers

I hope my pictures come attached. But I researching three different flathead supercharger unit. They are 1. National Schools (I believe it maybe a proto type built by the school when it existed in CA.
2. All I have is that on top of the Supercharger is DRAGSTER , I know nothing on this. 3. The third and last ne is a kit build ? Thank any leads or directions would be appreciated.
Ziggy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3174.jpg (36.9 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3197.jpg (47.6 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3207.jpg (44.9 KB, 628 views)
ziegld1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Superchargers

The one on the right with "DRAGSTER" on top looks to be driven by a starter-type motor, probably through two sets of bevel gears........interesting! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
scooder

Could we have a pic of the front views please, showing the drive arrangement of the two that ain't electric? That electric one looks bonkers and is probably as useful as a chocolate fire guard.
Are they yours? Do you have any info on the Besasie exhaust turbo supercharger?
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
arkusvt

the first one appears to be a mccullough; never saw anything like #2. the 3rd one was made by the dragmaster co. on peachtree lane in atlanta ga. in the fiftys. i had one years ago. powered by a ford starter motor, fairly crude and probably did little for performance. never ran it. have an ad from an early hot rod mag. claiming remarkable fitting possibilities as well as performance gains. (think butterflys under your carb. for 35mpg).
arkusvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
ziegld1

Sorry for the delay but been out of town: Anyway here's additional pictures. Hope this helps. I run with the leads you have all posted.
The one everybody thinks it's a early McCulloch. The Dragster , I'll run with the lead from Atlanta. The one that nobody has a lead or idea who made it, here's what I have as a possibility. It's called a National School and there was a one time an National Automotive School in Los Angles, CA. on Figueroa. They may have built as a project . The school was endorsed by Sam Hanks 1957 Indy Winner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3176.jpg (155.1 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3180.jpg (36.5 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3198.jpg (43.7 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3199.jpg (40.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3209.jpg (38.1 KB, 130 views)
Old 05-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
uncle max

Curious... Are you Timechanic?
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
ziegld1

Gentlemen , Since my last post I 've made out one of the three superchargers as a 38M McCulloch Supercharger. I have not had any luck on finding information on Dragmaster Co, of Atlanta, Ga.. The National School rumored to be one of a kind and was design for a Indy car that never made it. Thanks again guys !
Old 06-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #8
tubman

I find the third (electrically powered) one interesting. Although it probably didn't work very well back in the day, I have been thinking along these lines, that by using modern battery, motor, and compressor technology one might be able to make something like this viable. It would only be needed for short bursts (5 to 10 seconds), so supplying adequate power should not be a problem. Everyone seems to agree that supercharging is the way to go with a flathead. Any thoughts on this?
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #9
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Everyone seems to agree that supercharging is the way to go with a flathead. Any thoughts on this?
No disrespect intended, but to clarify what the discussion is about.

I might be inclined to agree, but for what purpose tubman? Drag car, highway cruiser, show car, daily driver?

-VT/JeffH
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #10
tubman

I was thinking along the lines of a daily driver. Something that would set you back in the seat a bit at the stoplights. My thoughts have been formed a lot lately by JWL's book. Frankly, I was quite surprised by how little the "conventional" hop up procedures produce as shown by his dyno tests. It looks to me like a relatively stock 8BA/8CM could be made to perform quite well this way.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:05 AM   #11
chuck stevens

Looks like ziggy's been to the speedway museum. RIP Bill Smith.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #12
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegld1 View Post
I hope my pictures come attached. But I researching three different flathead supercharger unit. They are 1. National Schools (I believe it maybe a proto type built by the school when it existed in CA.
2. All I have is that on top of the Supercharger is DRAGSTER , I know nothing on this. 3. The third and last ne is a kit build ? Thank any leads or directions would be appreciated.
Ziggy

I remember seeing one of those starter motor driven blowers for sale in that little flyer Bruce D. use to put together before he passed. Seems interesting for sure. No h.p. drain, but a little extra weight.

I'd assume it is design for a brief shot on a dragster or racer with some type of throttle activated switch to kick it on .

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 06-03-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #13
ziegld1

Guys! I do research for the museum (Smith Collection).. Anyway the Dragster Supercharger was manufactured in 1957 by a company named Treco in Atlanta, GA. They could be turned on-off by a switch. They claimed to increase the horsepower by 40% . The unit sold for $99.50 unassembled and for $ 149.50 assembled. The installation took about 2 hours. The supercharger was advertised as "Dragster-500" A partial , unfinished unit recently sold for $250.00. You an see an ad in the March issue of Motor Trend, 1957.

Can still use any leads on the Supercharger named National Schools !