Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
Lawrie

Default oil filter orifice

Any one know the size of the orifice in the fitting for the oil filter that bolts to the head.
Thanks Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Ross F-1

Default Re: oil filter orifice

I've seen it described as .057" - .060". You can buy them here:
http://www.frantzoil.com/catalog/ite...17/8845153.htm

Not exactly the Ford (Fram) part, and not in your neck of the woods... but there you go.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
Lawrie

Ross, thank you.

Lawrie
Old 10-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Kube

If you have the fittings that well, FIT, you can easily solder up one of them on the pressure side and drill to .056 - .060",
Old 10-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Lawrie

Yes, I told the guy who owns the engine to weld up and redrill the fitting.
thanks Lawrie
Old 10-24-2013, 02:25 AM   #6
BILL WZOREK

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
KUBE
Here is a ??wondering thought??,By changing the size of that hole (up or down) does that change the oil pressure in the entire motor.
Also if the motor did not have a filter where is the restriction to get the pressure?
oK Just had another Thought if the motor has a filter & it is taken out ( or off ) what has to be done /just plug where the lines come out & into the Block ??

P.S. I asked Kube this Question but anyone can pipe in with the FACTS

THANKS ALL
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
earlyride

The filter on a flathead is set up as bypass, any oil volume and pressure directed to the filter is just being filtered and not lubing the engine which is why it is restricted. You could remove the filter and block off the ports and I believe the only down side to that is premature dirty oil
earlyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:06 AM   #8
ford38v8

Bill, Your engine has a high pressure bypass valve to protect the system. The oil filter itself being a bypass system, there should be no difference in the pressure delivered to the engine, as the filter would normally use only the excess oil. This applies to running down the road, but at 500 RPM idle speed, there would not be an over pressure situation, so yes, a slightly lower pressure would be available for the engine, probably not enough to measure.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:19 AM   #9
BILL WZOREK

Alan:

Thanks / A lite bulb ( no wait it was a flickering candle ) just lit up.
That is why the redrilling of the block is necessary when switching to full flow filter systems.
I have looked at oil flow charts and it never clicked / Hence ( I think that is a word )
with no restriction at filter the oil goes to path of least resestance from pump to filter back to the pan. and the motor could be starving for oil and ruin what started off as a good day.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
G.M.

I saw that small 1/16" hole in my oil filter fitting 32 years ago when I restored my 39 convertible and didn't like it. I drilled the hole to well over 1/8" and the return hole in the return pipe that sticks up in the center of the filter which is about 1" down from the top. This hole also restricts the flow. I don't believe the inlet restriction is necessary and one restriction in a line does the job. After 125.000 miles I still have 45 lbs hot at driving speeds and 15 lbs at idle. Just opening the fitting hole won't increase the flow G.M.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
Alan:

Thanks / A lite bulb ( no wait it was a flickering candle ) just lit up.
That is why the redrilling of the block is necessary when switching to full flow filter systems.
I have looked at oil flow charts and it never clicked / Hence ( I think that is a word )
with no restriction at filter the oil goes to path of least resestance from pump to filter back to the pan. and the motor could be starving for oil and ruin what started off as a good day.
That restriction in the oil line is very necessary. Think of it this way...
if you were blowing in a straw (the normal oil system in your car) you would be pushing a specific amount of oil through the end of that straw.
Now, install a large hole in the side of that straw and see what happens to the output at the end of the straw. Goes down.
I have witnessed first hand oil pressure problems when guys installed these old filters w/o the restriction. Ford didn't make that fitting for giggles. It served it's designed purpose.

It really would not matter where that restriction was, Ford placed in the supply side, but it (the restriction) needs to be part of the filter system.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #12
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
I saw that small 1/16" hole in my oil filter fitting 32 years ago when I restored my 39 convertible and didn't like it. I drilled the hole to well over 1/8" and the return hole in the return pipe that sticks up in the center of the filter which is about 1" down from the top. This hole also restricts the flow. I don't believe the inlet restriction is necessary and one restriction in a line does the job. After 125.000 miles I still have 45 lbs hot at driving speeds and 15 lbs at idle. Just opening the fitting hole won't increase the flow G.M.
Surprised to see that the early filter had only one hole in the tube.
All the 8BA filters that I have seen had two holes in the tube.
Even with the .059 dia. restrictor hole there is a measured 5 Qts. of oil that goes thru the filter every 10-12 minutes of running.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
Ross F-1

I have three OEM filters; one from a '50 car 8BA, one from a '52 8RT, one from an EAB. All have a single hole halfway up the center tube. How would you add a hole? I've never seen a way to get the center tube out.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #14
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
I have three OEM filters; one from a '50 car 8BA, one from a '52 8RT, one from an EAB. All have a single hole halfway up the center tube. How would you add a hole? I've never seen a way to get the center tube out.
There is no reason to add a hole if it's a 1/16" hole, the restrictor hole is a little smaller
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #15
Ross F-1

My thought was to add a hole down lower on the tube, to make drain-down more complete and make filter changes less of a mess. I have yet to pull the element all the way out in one motion, it always seems to slip back down and splash oil all over...
Old 10-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #16
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
My thought was to add a hole down lower on the tube, to make drain-down more complete and make filter changes less of a mess. I have yet to pull the element all the way out in one motion, it always seems to slip back down and splash oil all over...
It is possible that a hole added to the low end of the tube would only allow oil to reach that level, rendering the upper part of the filter useless.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #17
Ross F-1

I thought of that, but on the other hand, does the hole halfway up only make the bottom half of the filter useful? I don't think the gravity side of the element can keep up with the pressure side. Obviously if you had enough holes in the tube you wouldn't have any real pressure in the can.

My plan is to add a drain plug on the can next time I have it off. Or just run without it... NAPA is getting $15 for the elements now, I'm beginning to re-think the value of it with an oil change costing about the same.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
BILL WZOREK

Ross F-1 :

Do the math / if you were to change the oil every 2000 mi that would be $15 divided by 2000 Mi. = .0075 cents per mile Pretty cheep even if it is not filtering 100% of the oil at a time I am sure it does help.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #19
Ross F-1

LOL, I did the math... at $15 for an oil change, or $30 with filter, and more like every 1500 miles, and fresh rebuilt engine (no sludge etc) I'm thinking I'd just as soon change oil 2x as often...
Old 10-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #20
G.M.

The no sludge part has nothing to do with the filter, it's the newer oils. I can't vouch for other oils but at 85,000 miles with Castrol 20/50 I felt the pickup screen loose and pulled the pan. No sludge at all. G.M.